HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks' Training Camp Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Christ, a 19 year old rookie winger is not going to salvage the Canucks season, Jesus

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
HFCanucks

Edler was playing the right side. They did seem like a strong pairing. The only area they are both getting used to is picking up pucks in the D zone. Great in transistion and on the attack. They will have to be careful with pinching. But garrison really is a good skater and is able to get back in position quickly.

HFCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
David71

guess garrison will play right side only on the powerplay to unleash his hard shot.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
rune74

So loungo looked good today? Who played better loungo or Schnieder and did Lou look like he was having fun?

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Fourth day in the city, third day I check out the Canucks

Schroeder best day was probably today, easily one of the fastest guys on the ice, looked decent but I'm not convinced he's a 2nd line NHL player yet. Trial by fire I guess due to lack of bodies, he played better than Ebbett though.

I've liked Raymond all this week but today was prob his worst day, just average

Kassian and Burrows struggled a bit today but I didn't notice anyone who was awful

Dem Sedins so fun to watch even in practice, tried to score some tickets at 2pm today, that didnt work out well. Ahh in Ottawa, you dont need to worry about these things, you can pretty much walk up on game day but my goal to see an NHL game outside of Ottawa continues, oh well

Does anyone know a good place in DT where I could get day drunk and watch the Ott-Win game sat at noon?

Thanks

dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So loungo looked good today? Who played better loungo or Schnieder and did Lou look like he was having fun?
I thought Luongo played better.
And I think he was having fun, he threw a puck into the crowd at one point, and got "LUUUU"ed a few times.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I thought Luongo played better.
And I think he was having fun, he threw a puck into the crowd at one point, and got "LUUUU"ed a few times.
I would love for him to win back his spot, would allow us a lot of options with schneider.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
I would love for him to win back his spot, would allow us a lot of options with schneider.
You want to down that road for a 5th straight playoffs? Or does memory fail?

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post

Schroeder best day was probably today, easily one of the fastest guys on the ice, looked decent but I'm not convinced he's a 2nd line NHL player yet. Trial by fire I guess due to lack of bodies, he played better than Ebbett though.

Kassian and Burrows struggled a bit today but I didn't notice anyone who was awful

Dem Sedins so fun to watch even in practice, tried to score some tickets at 2pm today, that didnt work out well. Ahh in Ottawa, you dont need to worry about these things, you can pretty much walk up on game day but my goal to see an NHL game outside of Ottawa continues, oh well

Does anyone know a good place in DT where I could get day drunk and watch the Ott-Win game sat at noon?

Thanks
Thanks for the outsider observations dude.

And thanks for the insider observations from everyone else!

Sorry I don't know where to get day drunk, I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions though.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
No!!! Not a sixth straight playoff appearance! Oh the huge manatee!

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:47 PM
rune74

Quote:
Um, I remember a team that couldn't score.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Tact

Hate to say this but Cody Hodgson would look quite good on that second line right about now...

Oh well, don't want to go over that bridge again.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Canucker

Luongo could win the #1 job back but it likely still won't stop him from being traded at some point. Would be cool to see him win the #1 job back, win the cup and then say "Seeya *****es!". I would laugh.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
rune74

There is zero pressure on Lou right now, he might thrive with that.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
ugghhh

Quote:
Um, I remember a team that couldn't score.
I've been a proponent of going with Schneider, or at least leaving that as a major possibility since before Luongo signed the 12-year deal. I thought it made more sense, if Schneider could show he was capable at the NHL level, to move Luongo and go with Schneider.

However, things have changed a lot since then.

I wouldn't mind going with Luongo here, especially with Lack (and Cannatta) in the wings.

Schneider is a great goalie, and probably has the better mental makeup for a favourite (i.e. rock solid, doesn't get rattled as easily, and the team seems to have more trust in him) but I think Luongo definitely has it in him to take a team to the cup. He has lost something in terms of confidence, as well as mobility it seems, but he is still an elite goalie when he's on his game.

Throw in the difference in what you get back via trade and I don't think it's necessary to go with Schneider here.

If you could get a top-6 winger and a 1st for Schneider I'd probably take that (given that Luongo shows a return to form).

I also think the mentality of the team rallying around Luongo could also help them immensely in playing a tighter game with him in net.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Are you suggesting that Cory Schneider is better than Roberto Luongo at scoring goals?

01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post

Thanks
Some bars that I quite enjoy:

1) The Blarney Stone
2) The Cambie
3) Malone's
4) Charles Bar

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Are you suggesting that Cory Schneider is better than Roberto Luongo at scoring goals?

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Fairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Luongo could win the #1 job back but it likely still won't stop him from being traded at some point. Would be cool to see him win the #1 job back, win the cup and then say "Seeya *****es!". I would laugh.
I would laugh with joy. If we trade him while he's back to form, that means we're getting a good return.

I mean, I'd rather win a cup with Luongo leading the way, but this scenario wouldn't be bad.

Fairweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
BOOM! And Y2k goes DOWN!

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
I know goal scoring won't matter in the playoffs if playing in front of a low save %. If your argument is goaltender doesn't matter if you get goal support, then we might as well go with the cheaper/younger guy (Schneider).

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
I've been a proponent of going with Schneider, or at least leaving that as a major possibility since before Luongo signed the 12-year deal. I thought it made more sense, if Schneider could show he was capable at the NHL level, to move Luongo and go with Schneider.

However, things have changed a lot since then.

I wouldn't mind going with Luongo here, especially with Lack (and Cannatta) in the wings.

Schneider is a great goalie, and probably has the better mental makeup for a favourite (i.e. rock solid, doesn't get rattled as easily, and the team seems to have more trust in him) but I think Luongo definitely has it in him to take a team to the cup. He has lost something in terms of confidence, as well as mobility it seems, but he is still an elite goalie when he's on his game.

Throw in the difference in what you get back via trade and I don't think it's necessary to go with Schneider here.

If you could get a top-6 winger and a 1st for Schneider I'd probably take that (given that Luongo shows a return to form).

I also think the mentality of the team rallying around Luongo could also help them immensely in playing a tighter game with him in net.
I have been thinking the same thing, who's to say something hasn't been discussed in private between lou and Gillis? Honestly we could easily trade schneider right now and get some great peices. Lou can still play and he wants to win.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Well, guess we've made the right choice then. Hopefully he can come up with some clutch goals in the playoffs for us

Quote:
I know goal scoring won't matter in the playoffs if playing in front of a low save %. If your argument is goaltender doesn't matter if you get goal support, then we might as well go with the cheaper/younger guy (Schneider).
Well Luongo has taken this team to game 7 of the SCF with no goal support. If you think Schneider can win a Stanley Cup finals with 8 goals in 7 games of offensive support then I have one Port Man Bridge to sell.

This team won't win in the playoffs with that kind of offense no matter who is in net.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Some bars that I quite enjoy:

1) The Blarney Stone
2) The Cambie
3) Malone's
4) Charles Bar
Despite disagreeing philosophically on all things Canuck related we have similar pub tastes.

Hastings Warehouse is good as well, at Hastings & Cambie.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Tiranis

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people that posted reports today. Much better than our media. Can't believe those hacks are actually getting paid anything for their crap coverage.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote