HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
The Swedish Ice Hockey Association and the NHL have a new transfer agreement that allows teams to hold the rights to players drafted out of SIHA leagues for up to four years (until age 22).
Other countries don't follow the same rules yet but I'd guess they eventually will, although it may be some time for places like Finland and Slovakia who signed new agreements this past summer with the horrible two year window.
It's just too bad this didn't happen years ago.

Edit: Seems like it may apply to all prospects drafted out of European leagues.

Last edited by jfb392: 01-07-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
jfb392

Might as well put this here: if you haven't heard of him, Sean Day is the player you'll want to tank for in 2016.
I haven't seen him play yet (don't know if I ever will since he plays for Compuware and they likely won't attend the OHL Cup), but some pretty heady comparisons are made (Coffey, Orr) and HHOF'er Brian Kilrea says he's the best 14 year old he's ever seen (which would include the likes of Gretzky, Lindros, McDavid, Tavares, etc.).
He's likely applying for EPS like Ekblad, McDavid, and Tavares and if some are to be believed, he's basically a lock to be approved.
The only reason I really thought I'd mention him is because he's represented by Jason Woolley.
It's pretty hard to make me feel old, but this kid does it successfully when I realize that he was born around the time Woolley played for the Sabres..

Another kid represented by Woolley is one I saw at the Marlies Classic a few weeks ago: Mitch Marner.
He's a 2015 prospect and is positively puny (5'7'' and listed anywhere from 120-150 pounds) but is the type of player I love.
He'll be ignored and then bam.. he'll grow and become a top prospect just like so many before him.
Just figured I'd mention him now so I can be a hipster when he's popular.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Might as well put this here: if you haven't heard of him, Sean Day is the player you'll want to tank for in 2016.
I haven't seen him play yet (don't know if I ever will since he plays for Compuware and they likely won't attend the OHL Cup), but some pretty heady comparisons are made (Coffey, Orr) and HHOF'er Brian Kilrea says he's the best 14 year old he's ever seen (which would include the likes of Gretzky, Lindros, McDavid, Tavares, etc.).
He's likely applying for EPS like Ekblad, McDavid, and Tavares and if some are to be believed, he's basically a lock to be approved.
The only reason I really thought I'd mention him is because he's represented by Jason Woolley.
It's pretty hard to make me feel old, but this kid does it successfully when I realize that he was born around the time Woolley played for the Sabres..

Another kid represented by Woolley is one I saw at the Marlies Classic a few weeks ago: Mitch Marner.
He's a 2015 prospect and is positively puny (5'7'' and listed anywhere from 120-150 pounds) but is the type of player I love.
He'll be ignored and then bam.. he'll grow and become a top prospect just like so many before him.
Just figured I'd mention him now so I can be a hipster when he's popular.
Now to figure out what rhymes with Day...

Old
01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Welcome defeat and lay
So we might acquire Day

Old
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Lose like cray-cray?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:43 PM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 899
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Decay for Day?
Underplay for Day?
Giveaway for Day?

Old
01-10-2013, 07:25 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

CSS Mid-Term rankings should be out in the next couple days. They released them the past couple years around January 10th and 11th.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Hartman steps up when asked. From Saturday's 3 Stars:
Quote:
No. 1 star: Ryan Hartman, Plymouth Whalers (OHL)

The Whalers had just 15 skaters against Erie thanks to Stefan Noesen, Rickard Rakell and Tom Wilson being off at NHL camps, but Hartman made sure they would not have to write off two points. The 18-year-old completed a hat trick 20 seconds into overtime, snapping a shot from the half wall past Otters goalie Oscar Dansk to complete Plymouth's 4-3 comeback win.

Hartman (3G-1A, +3), his Team USA teammate Vince Trocheck (3A) and their linemate Cody Payne accounted for all Whalers scoring. The improving Otters had a two-goal lead late in the second period thanks to a three-point night from Connor McDavid on the eve of his 16th birthday. However, Hartman popped in a power-play goal before setting up Payne's equalizer, leading to his overtime heroics.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Woodhouse

Sweden's Elias Lindholm earns Peter Forsberg comparisons and top billing for 2013 NHL draft:
Quote:
He might still live with his parents, but the native of Boden, Sweden, has taken the elite league by storm. As a teenager playing with men, Lindholm has been a force with his club team, Brynas IF, with six goals and 22 points in 35 games.

He had a slow start to the season and his ice time was limited, but began to find his stride in December. It was then that he was put on the same line as highly touted Detroit Red Wings prospect Calle Jarnkrok, who was taken 51st overall in the 2010 NHL draft.
Quote:
The comparison to Forsberg, particularly in Sweden, is a lofty one. But it’s this kind of comparison that has Lindholm ranked as one of the top European skaters for the 2013 NHL entry draft. Like Forsberg, Lindholm is a complete player – a good skater, extremely smart, skilled with and without the puck, and both a deft passer and capable goal-scorer.

Roger Ronnberg, who coached Lindholm and Team Sweden to a silver medal at the world junior tournament in Ufa, Russia, has tried to temper the expectations placed upon the 18-year-old.

“Those are big words for a young kid,” said Ronnberg of the Forsberg label. “He has a lot of stuff he still has to improve. I don’t want to take those words and put them in my mouth, but he’s a good player.”
Quote:
Even after a cursory meeting, one can tell Lindholm is mature beyond his years. Even Ronnberg noted he’s been a leader on the Swedish team and the pro work ethic he learned in the elite league rubbed off on his teammates.

“He’s not a guy with many words but he loves to compete and he shows the guys by the way he works hard in games,” said Ronnberg. “He sets the standard for the rest of the team.”

Ronnberg said Lindholm’s potential is limitless and with more seasoning and experience in the SEL he could develop into a sure-fire NHLer.

“He can be a tremendous player,” said the national team coach. “He has the smartness and he has the grit to play – he has the most important combination and that is both the will to compete hard and the smarts to be a really good player.”

Old
01-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Grahn

What are your opinion of Mantha and Carrier? I think they might be good fits for a more physical buffalo and our prospect pool seems a bit low on the LW.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Woodhouse

I don't believe this was mentioned when the goalie prospects were tossed around earlier, but Spencer Martin of Mississauga comes from a family of Sabres STH. He's the top-ranked goalie prospect coming out of the OHL this year.

Quote:
Martin grew up in the GTA, plays for a team that sports Toronto Maple Leafs colours and cites former Leaf star Curtis Joseph as his inspiration to join the goalie fraternity. However, he cites the Buffalo Sabres' Ryan Miller as his NHL role model. The Martin family, including father Allan, mother Karen and younger sister Allison ("she's my biggest fan, she's made so many sacrifices for me" Spencer says), actually follow the Sabres.

"We've had season tickets in Buffalo since the last lockout," Martin says. "I watch a lot of Ryan Miller. I'm his biggest fan. I saw him when he was first coming into the league and now when he's winning Vezinas. It's a little bit of a drive, but it was worth it."

Link: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp15517
Quote:
Like any young goaltender, Martin is currently going through a tough stretch right now. He started the year off carrying the Steelheads on his back, something that couldn't be expected to continue. The guys at McKeen's suggest an injury may be a hindrance moving forward. "In recent weeks he has struggled a bit playing against stronger Western teams however there has been speculation that Martin is playing with a knee injury that may require surgery at the end of the season." That said, one contributor absolutely loves his attitude. "Even when this kid gets shelled and gives up a few he still has the attitude to be sitting on his teams bench vocally encouraging his mates. Love this kids skill, natural talents and attitude and NHL teams will likely too." Even if he's struggled a tad lately, he possesses the qualities that NHL teams covet in goaltenders these days, something nearly every contributor echoed. McKeen's summed it up best, "Martin is extremely economical as he limits his movements and plays an unflappable butterfly style making good use of his size to cover the top portion of the goal. At 6’2, 195 he certainly boasts the size NHL teams covet in a goalie." There were multiple mentions of him needing to improve his rebound control though, again not out of the ordinary for a young netminder.

Link: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...ia-top-10.html

Old
01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I don't believe this was mentioned when the goalie prospects were tossed around earlier, but Spencer Martin of Mississauga comes from a family of Sabres STH. He's the top-ranked goalie prospect coming out of the OHL this year.
Ha, didn't know that.

Ryan Pulock is also a big Sabres fan, despite having a Leafs tattoo (it's in memory of his younger brother who passed away a few years ago).

Old
01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Woodhouse

Just a reminder that the CHL Top Prospects Game airs tonight at 7:00PM ET on NHLN-US.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Just a reminder that the CHL Top Prospects Game airs tonight at 7:00PM ET on NHLN-US.
Team Orr

Old
01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Woodhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Team Orr
The Quebec trio and the two Buffalo fans in Bailey and Martin, or someone else?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

I find it pretty lame that Gamecenter doesn't carry a 24/7 stream of NHL Network. I do have digital cable box down in the living room that I can watch NHLN on but I'd prefer to be able to watch it elsewhere via Gamecenter. Oh well.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
The Quebec trio and the two Buffalo fans in Bailey and Martin, or someone else?
Quebec, specifically Erne

Old
01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Hartman is on Team Cherry, and he's a guy that I'd be paying attention to as well (if I end up watching). But otherwise it seems most of the attractions are on Team Orr...since I'm assuming the Sabres will not be bad enough to get a Drouin or MacKinnon.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Hartman is looking like he would be a great second round pick up. Hopefully Sabre scouts pay perfect attention tonight.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Hartman is looking like he would be a great second round pick up. Hopefully Sabre scouts pay perfect attention tonight.
Sadly, it sounds like he's creeping into the late-1st based on some of the post-WJC rankings just coming out.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
It'd probably be hard for anyone not to, since he'll be playing with Drouin and MacKinnon.

Also, Erne is going to be playing with a kid I love, Laurent Dauphin.
He's slight but I've thought that he'd end up sneaking into the first round after I saw him display the same level of skill in the Q as he did in midget.
Seemingly no one knew who he was but he's been getting some press as of late.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Anyone know of a stream of the game? This site I use previously had a 24/7 stream of NHL Network but that doesn't seem to be there anymore

Old
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Woodhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Quebec, specifically Erne
That didn't take long.

EDIT: 1-0 Team Orr at end of 1st. Erne scores on a rebound, Dauphin with the rush. Erne had a breakaway attempt saved by Fucale shortly after too. Hartman had three hits early, one on Erne, for Team Cherry and a scrap with Rychel.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 01-16-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

http://www.justin.tv/furby17#/w/4592669696 Stream

Old
01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It'd probably be hard for anyone not to, since he'll be playing with Drouin and MacKinnon.

Also, Erne is going to be playing with a kid I love, Laurent Dauphin.
He's slight but I've thought that he'd end up sneaking into the first round after I saw him display the same level of skill in the Q as he did in midget.
Seemingly no one knew who he was but he's been getting some press as of late.
nice shot!

Closed Thread