HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
  #476
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Un mini ovechkin!!
Isn't that Yakupov? Something tells me Kristo isn't quite there.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:59 PM
  #477
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Isn't that Yakupov? Something tells me Kristo isn't quite there.
I'm just lulzing at the top youtube comment

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:44 AM
  #478
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
My guess would be that he would start next season in Hamilton and then we'll see how he adjusts. Most NCAAers are going to hit a wall at some point in the season as they go from playing mostly weekends and 40ish games a season to 3-4 games a week and 80-100 games a season. I would expect him to do well in Hamilton so we'll see just how well that ends up being, he's certainly playing his best hockey to date imo but he will have several things to work on.

Just wrote an article on Kristo and the NCAA draft picks yesterday,

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=193



From what I heard the update at Michigan was Mac Bennett is expected to be out a couple weeks but they will have to re-evaluate him so hopefully he's back before the playoffs in March, as the playoffs are still 8-9 weeks away. Although with as bad as Michigan has looked of late, getting him back might not help enough. Will be very interesting to see what his future intentions are, if he wants to go back to Michigan for a final year or turn pro, either with the Habs or as a UFA on July 1st.
Great article, Montreal. Didier would have to leap frog a lot of depth but he does sound interesting

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 07:44 AM
  #479
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At some point and with the limit of 50 contracts, next 2 seasons will see some pretty hard decisions to make. Here are the guys that needs to be signed in 2013 and 2014.

Olivier Archambault
Mac Bennett
Tim Bozon
Mike Cichy
Sebastian Collberg
Darren Dietz
Charles Hudon
Danny Kristo
Magnus Nygren
Erik Nystrom
Daniel Pribyl
Dalton Thrower
Brady Vail
Dustin Walsh

I mean you look at that list, and you almost want everybody to be signed. But it shouldn't be possible. Odd men out in that list would be Cichy, Nystrom, Pribyl and Walsh. And even in all those cases, you can make a case for every one of those guys. Cichy losing a year, Nystrom doing good in Sweden, Pribyl being that big centerman, Walsh being unlucky with those injuries. But at some point, we can't sign everybody. 2013 will be interesting 'cause it's decision time for Nygren, Pribyl and Walsh. I do expect them to sign Nygren.
With all the 2nd round picks coming in the next draft, I wonder if they'll have to let some of these guys go at some point. Would this situation force them to look more at players going the NCAA route in this upcoming draft?

Fozz is online now  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
  #480
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At some point and with the limit of 50 contracts, next 2 seasons will see some pretty hard decisions to make. Here are the guys that needs to be signed in 2013 and 2014.

Olivier Archambault
Mac Bennett
Tim Bozon
Mike Cichy
Sebastian Collberg
Darren Dietz
Charles Hudon
Danny Kristo
Magnus Nygren
Erik Nystrom
Daniel Pribyl
Dalton Thrower
Brady Vail
Dustin Walsh

I mean you look at that list, and you almost want everybody to be signed. But it shouldn't be possible. Odd men out in that list would be Cichy, Nystrom, Pribyl and Walsh. And even in all those cases, you can make a case for every one of those guys. Cichy losing a year, Nystrom doing good in Sweden, Pribyl being that big centerman, Walsh being unlucky with those injuries. But at some point, we can't sign everybody. 2013 will be interesting 'cause it's decision time for Nygren, Pribyl and Walsh. I do expect them to sign Nygren.
Out of that list the bottom guy would be Cichy then Archambault and Walsh/Pribil.

I think a lot of spots will open up next year though with Gomez(buyout) Berger(terminate) DeSantis Schultz Stejksal Blunden Geoffrion Palushaj Desjardins Mayer all coming up for RFA/UFA. They won't all be back.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:48 AM
  #481
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
With all the 2nd round picks coming in the next draft, I wonder if they'll have to let some of these guys go at some point. Would this situation force them to look more at players going the NCAA route in this upcoming draft?
By the time we have to sign our 2013 picks...June 2015(not the same for all players though)...a lot of the kids in Hamilton/junior will be NHLers(Gallagher Tinordi Beaulieu Bournival Galchenyuk LeBalnc) and the guys in those roles right now will probably be gone(Bourque? Kaberle? Bouillon? Armstrong? Gionta?).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
  #482
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
With all the 2nd round picks coming in the next draft, I wonder if they'll have to let some of these guys go at some point. Would this situation force them to look more at players going the NCAA route in this upcoming draft?
Good point. This is a possibility. And there will be some good candidates for the 2nd round in the US as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
By the time we have to sign our 2013 picks...June 2015(not the same for all players though)...a lot of the kids in Hamilton/junior will be NHLers(Gallagher Tinordi Beaulieu Bournival Galchenyuk LeBalnc) and the guys in those roles right now will probably be gone(Bourque? Kaberle? Bouillon? Armstrong? Gionta?).
But even if those kids in Hamilton are NHLers, it still counts as far as the 50-contract limit. I'd tell you, some tough decisions will need to be made and I predict it won't be as easy in the next 2-3 years than to let Scott Kishel go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Out of that list the bottom guy would be Cichy then Archambault and Walsh/Pribil.

I think a lot of spots will open up next year though with Gomez(buyout) Berger(terminate) DeSantis Schultz Stejksal Blunden Geoffrion Palushaj Desjardins Mayer all coming up for RFA/UFA. They won't all be back.
You know that there's no way that Archambault is let go. No way. They won't let go a local who even if he doesn't appear as improving, though it's not the case, will be let go with stats that he's having.

For me, the 2 easy guys to let go will be Cichy and Walsh. I would personnally let Pribyl go, I just don't see how he'll ever be a contributor even in the AHL. Naatinen had a much better pedigree and though it's not necessarily his fault, he's far from being a big time contributor in the AHL.


Last edited by overlords: 01-15-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
  #483
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Actually, if it was possible to offer a 1-year deal to Archambeault, I'd do it.

Major stagnation from his part.

Besides... I see the Habs drafting 3 or 4 québecois next draft (guys I want? Gauthier, Morin, Poirier and somebody else, possibly Dunn...).

Letting Archambeault go would pose no problem. I mean, Poirier is ALREADY better than him, and plays the same position....

MXD is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 04:49 PM
  #484
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,021
vCash: 500
I sincerely doubt letting archambeault go would ruffle any important feathers.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
  #485
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But even if those kids in Hamilton are NHLers, it still counts as far as the 50-contract limit. I'd tell you, some tough decisions will need to be made and I predict it won't be as easy in the next 2-3 years than to let Scott Kishel go.



You know that there's no way that Archambault is let go. No way. They won't let go a local who even if he doesn't appear as improving, though it's not the case, will be let go with stats that he's having.

For me, the 2 easy guys to let go will be Cichy and Walsh. I would personnally let Pribyl go, I just don't see how he'll ever be a contributor even in the AHL. Naatinen had a much better pedigree and though it's not necessarily his fault, he's far from being a big time contributor in the AHL.


If a kid in Hamilton cracks the NHL(next year or the following one) then they are replacing a current NHLer, that in itself opens up a spot to sign an amateur player(college, CHL or Europe), so as Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis Gallagher etc move up we will be able to sign our 2010-2011 2012 and 2013 picks.

I would sign 6'2" Walsh(20 points in 21 NCAA games last 2 years) before 5'9" Archambault(40 points in 42 QMJHL games).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
  #486
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Actually, if it was possible to offer a 1-year deal to Archambeault, I'd do it.

Major stagnation from his part.

Besides... I see the Habs drafting 3 or 4 québecois next draft (guys I want? Gauthier, Morin, Poirier and somebody else, possibly Dunn...).

Letting Archambeault go would pose no problem. I mean, Poirier is ALREADY better than him, and plays the same position....
Because he is 19 it has to be a 3 year ELC.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
  #487
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Actually, if it was possible to offer a 1-year deal to Archambeault, I'd do it.

Major stagnation from his part.

Besides... I see the Habs drafting 3 or 4 québecois next draft (guys I want? Gauthier, Morin, Poirier and somebody else, possibly Dunn...).

Letting Archambeault go would pose no problem. I mean, Poirier is ALREADY better than him, and plays the same position....
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I sincerely doubt letting archambeault go would ruffle any important feathers.
Seriously? After all that was said about the local talent? The guy will most likely finish with 60+ points and he did improve his overall game defensively included. I won't see the day that they will let a Quebecer go like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If a kid in Hamilton cracks the NHL(next year or the following one) then they are replacing a current NHLer, that in itself opens up a spot to sign an amateur player(college, CHL or Europe), so as Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis Gallagher etc move up we will be able to sign our 2010-2011 2012 and 2013 picks.

I would sign 6'2" Walsh(20 points in 21 NCAA games last 2 years) before 5'9" Archambault(40 points in 42 QMJHL games).
My personal choice would be to also sign Walsh. And would let go Pribyl. I'm pretty afraid they will let Walsh go because of the injuries and lack of a real assessment on him which would not be brillant. But they won't let Archambault go. Will never believe it.

Unless they sign everybody. Not sure it will happen but we never know.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
  #488
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seriously? After all that was said about the local talent? The guy will most likely finish with 60+ points and he did improve his overall game defensively included. I won't see the day that they will let a Quebecer go like that.

My personal choice would be to also sign Walsh. And would let go Pribyl. I'm pretty afraid they will let Walsh go because of the injuries and lack of a real assessment on him which would not be brillant. But they won't let Archambault go. Will never believe it.
.
Actually, I'd...

- Let Pribyl go
- Have Hamilton offer a contract to Walsh. And offer him a contract if Walsh is successful in the ECHL.
- If the numbers permit it, offer a contract to Archambeault. And assign to ECHL.

MXD is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
  #489
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seriously? After all that was said about the local talent? The guy will most likely finish with 60+ points and he did improve his overall game defensively included. I won't see the day that they will let a Quebecer go like that.
He's not a high profile enough prospect to cause that much of a stir. Like others have said, we have a good chance to get some good local talent for once.
The habs should be focused on that, and not catering to a vocal minority of disgruntled fans who care more about where their players are born than whether or not they're any good.

I imagine they'll keep Archambeault, since I think it was Grant who said that Timmins was inordinately high on him. But Bergevin is a character guy. I don't think he's going to let extremists tell him or his staff how to do their jobs. If that's what they want to do, they're going to do it. Whining notwithstanding.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:24 PM
  #490
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,610
vCash: 500
I don't get why we'd keep Walsh over Pribyl, both are projects who will probably never play a game in the NHL and Pribyl isn't made of glass.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
  #491
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't get why we'd keep Walsh over Pribyl, both are projects who will probably never play a game in the NHL and Pribyl isn't made of glass.
'Cause my bet would be that Pribyl's skating in his entirety will be a way too big weakness to overcome. On top of his overall game. You do need to know from Walsh and his doctors if it's a question of luck or if there's a problem with him. But if it's done and it's just a question of bad luck and/or bad treatments from his local docs, well Walsh has more intangibles in him to be a more succesful hockey player, or so I believe.

Mind you, if there are no problems in the contract limit, sign them all and see if I care. I just think that it will be way too tight, and we also have to think that we might UFA's some people or even in trades if we have to trade 2 and get 3 in return. You can't be at 49 with tons of move to come.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:41 PM
  #492
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's not a high profile enough prospect to cause that much of a stir. Like others have said, we have a good chance to get some good local talent for once.
The habs should be focused on that, and not catering to a vocal minority of disgruntled fans who care more about where their players are born than whether or not they're any good.

I imagine they'll keep Archambeault, since I think it was Grant who said that Timmins was inordinately high on him. But Bergevin is a character guy. I don't think he's going to let extremists tell him or his staff how to do their jobs. If that's what they want to do, they're going to do it. Whining notwithstanding.
Nothing suggest that the local talent will there when we will be there. Looks great for the Q has they will have a lot of people in the 1st round for a change....but we might not even have that possibility to get one whether the greats will be gone, or whether the others shouldn't be pick that high. I suggest we'd aim for a goalie in the 2nd round, let's hope Fucale is there but if not...not sure Desrosiers fits the bill as soon as 2nd.

If not, Duclair, Dauphin, Poirier, Etchegary (who I'm very fond of), Dunn, Morin, Diaby (who I'm a big fan of), are all interesting names....Though somehow, I will suspect that even myself, I will have better names in the 2nd round than most of these guys.

Bergevin will not let extremists rule his team....yet, he made a commitment at the start of his tenure as GM that the local talent WILL be a must on this team like no other GM has done recently. Which has to mean, for me, that he might still have let go a Alexandre Dulac-Lemelin, no doubt about that, but won't let go a 60-point guy. Just how I see it.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:17 PM
  #493
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,161
vCash: 500
I think we'll be able to sign everyone that needs to be signed except Cichy. Though Walsh and Pribyl are long shots they're still talented long shots with size. Archambault is definitely worth a look. It does suck that they have to be 3 year contracts.

Gomez's contract will be gone. Just lost Berger's. Palushaj, Nokelainen, Weber will be gone for sure next year. Plus all the other RFAs in Hamilton. If someone isn't working out it isn't that big a deal to waive them right?

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now  
Old
01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
  #494
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
As much as Carrier is rated high right now, he's actualy the type of player that slip comes draft day. Much like Collberg and Bozon.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
  #495
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,960
vCash: 597
Bennett out 3-6 weeks.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
  #496
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Watching the Spitfires play. The commentators had a fairly lengthy discussion about who gets captaincy since Posa was traded.

They seem to believe that Vail will get it. Apparently he's been taking all of the ceremonial faceoffs and has been the player that has discussions with the refs.

That is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:59 AM
  #497
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Watching the Spitfires play. The commentators had a fairly lengthy discussion about who gets captaincy since Posa was traded.

They seem to believe that Vail will get it. Apparently he's been taking all of the ceremonial faceoffs and has been the player that has discussions with the refs.
That'd be the safe pick to help team management avoid the nepotism accusations

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
  #498
strutsboa
Registered User
 
strutsboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Not even halfway through the game and Nygren already has 2 PPG, 8 shots.

strutsboa is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
  #499
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Not even halfway through the game and Nygren already has 2 PPG, 8 shots.
also good to hear, great stuff that he's hit career highs across the board.

montreal is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
  #500
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Not even halfway through the game and Nygren already has 2 PPG, 8 shots.
Nygren really seems to have taken a major step forward in his development this year. According to a number of people, his defensive game also improved drastically (perhaps you can confirm...). He should sign next summer and, hopefully, will come over next year to get used the game and environment over here.

Fozz is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.