HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
This is getting silly. The org is certainly not afraid of the "damage" he could do. He couldn't contribute on the worst team in the league, precisely BECAUSE of his low hockey IQ.
Everyone agrees that omark time as a oiler is done! The problem with posters like you is that you cant see the whole picture and i doubt you even saw him his rookieseason(take a look at the back to back wins over the nucks). Omark could had a big chance to make the team with topminutes pp and everything if he hadnt taken that khl year. When he came over 3 first rounders made the team, even prv with a preseason hatty. He made enough in camp to take a spot, thats what most people thinks, of course 3 first rounders is more intresting. He was the best oiler, the last 10-15 games of the season, more points then ebs and better -+, there were almost a ahl team up at the end. 27 p in 51 games playing 3 line minutes with reddox,vanvelde,prv,harti,giroux,gags isnt bad and he delivered when he got more minutes in the end. 2 season was a spoiled one with that early injury, i think omark isnt valuated yet in nhl and i think he can make a living in nhl with a bit luck, coming to a team who gives him minutes in a 2 line and pp, thats my point.

His value has raised with his swiss adventure and i wouldnt be surprised if he fetched us a 2 rounder , buffalo and detroit the latest rumor, heard even the nucks.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
There is no cherrypicking, other than the NHL, the KHL is the only league they have both played in and can hence be compared.
At vastly different points in their careers, against vastly different quality of competition. The KHL has improved greatly since Omark played there. OTOH I can easily compare the Austrian and Swiss leagues at present, and the two players' remarkably similar production.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Everyone agrees that omark time as a oiler is done! The problem with posters like you is that you cant see the whole picture and i doubt you even saw him his rookieseason(take a look at the back to back wins over the nucks). Omark could had a big chance to make the team with topminutes pp and everything if he hadnt taken that khl year. When he came over 3 first rounders made the team, even prv with a preseason hatty. He made enough in camp to take a spot, thats what most people thinks, of course 3 first rounders is more intresting. He was the best oiler, the last 10-15 games of the season, more points then ebs and better -+, there were almost a ahl team up at the end. 27 p in 51 games playing 3 line minutes with reddox,vanvelde,prv,harti,giroux,gags isnt bad and he delivered when he got more minutes in the end. 2 season was a spoiled one with that early injury, i think omark isnt valuated yet in nhl and i think he can make a living in nhl with a bit luck, coming to a team who gives him minutes in a 2 line and pp, thats my point.

His value has raised with his swiss adventure and i wouldnt be surprised if he fetched us a 2 rounder , buffalo and detroit the latest rumor, heard even the nucks.
I did see Omark have a couple of good games against a Canucks team that was merely going through the motions. I saw him produce at a decent clip on a bad team with soft minutes in meaningless games. Same as numerous other duds have before him. Nilsson, Cogliano, etc.

I'll bet you that we don't see better than a fourth rounder for him. Avatar bet. 2013-14 season.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
No, I'm pointing out that neither were viable NHLers, but segments of this fanbase, for some reason, can't remove their heart-shaped glasses and judge the player on his own merits.

You, yourself, are cherrypicking Schremp's bad stats in the KHL over his very Omark-like stats in Austria, which is far more similar to the Swiss league that Omark is in.

You're also justifying your argument with a lot of could and should.

Both Schremp and Omark saw decent NHL time filling a roster spot on a loser of a squad.

We have real prospects now. Why carry the torch for another dud?
You aren't very well versed in European hockey.

The NLA >>>>> Austria. Not even close.

Omark would be very productive in any European hockey league. A much better player than Schremp. What fans miss is this ; not all players are suited to the NHL. Omark would be a much better player in Europe than well over 60% of the NHL. European and North american pro leagues differ immensely.

It annoys me when idiots you like you spout drivel like above. Idiocy.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
You aren't very well versed in European hockey.

The NLA >>>>> Austria. Not even close.

Omark would be very productive in any European hockey league. A much better player than Schremp. What fans miss is this ; not all players are suited to the NHL. Omark would be a much better player in Europe than well over 60% of the NHL. European and North american pro leagues differ immensely.

It annoys me when idiots you like you spout drivel like above. Idiocy.
Hahahaha! Go tattoo his name on your ass. They're both playing well in second rate leagues. There's a good reason why Omark didn't give the KHL a shot this time around. He'd have put up the same stats as Schremp. Great to see a few hockey nerds riled up, though.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
McClelland

Quote:
I did see Omark have a couple of good games against a Canucks team that was merely going through the motions. I saw him produce at a decent clip on a bad team with soft minutes in meaningless games. Same as numerous other duds have before him. Nilsson, Cogliano, etc.

I'll bet you that we don't see better than a fourth rounder for him. Avatar bet. 2013-14 season.
You mean that we havent played a game with meaning after november month in 10 years with exception of the runner up race season?I agree that you hasnt much of a clue about euro hockey. theres miles of different between swiss and austria, look at the national teams look at eurocup challenges and look at wjc. Its like saying that sweden and norway is about equal.
Swiss leuage was spized with nhl stars in almost every 1 line due the lockout, so they had pretty good competiton.
Avatar bet that omark gonna make another nhl team next season(if he doesnt bolts now). Omark is probably traded in a player bigger deal!

Easy bet to take for you, he didnt made the worst team in nhl, so why another?

Old
01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
You mean that we havent played a game with meaning after november month in 10 years with exception of the runner up race season?I agree that you hasnt much of a clue about euro hockey. theres miles of different between swiss and austria, look at the national teams look at eurocup challenges and look at wjc. Its like saying that sweden and norway is about equal.
Swiss leuage was spized with nhl stars in almost every 1 line due the lockout, so they had pretty good competiton.
Avatar bet that omark gonna make another nhl team next season(if he doesnt bolts now). Omark is probably traded in a player bigger deal!

Easy bet to take for you, he didnt made the worst team in nhl, so why another?
Yes, yes, MILES of difference. Fathoms of difference. Whatever. There's the NHL, KHL, SEL, AHL, and then there's the truly incredible Swiss league. Great.

Point is, he's not playing in a major league. Grasp that truth.

So you're hopeful he gets traded, yet you wouldn't dare bet that he could. Interesting.

Instead you're pinning your hopes on him making any cellar dwelling team willing to take a chance on him. Maybe the Isles. Maybe Atlanta, er, Winnipeg. Kinda like how Schremp got his second and third chances.

You're making my argument for me. Thanks!

Don't Stop...Believing! Hold on to that feeling!

Old
01-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Thorulf

In many ways Psycho Dad represents the bad side of HFBoards.
The lack of knowledge, the intolerance and the opinions carved in stone, with no intentions to change the point of view regardless of others arguments or facts.
Well, whatever...

With all the love/hate about Linus, I think it boils down to this:
Linus has proven to deliver in SEL, KHL, AHL, Swedish national team and now reacently the Swiss leauge. In NHL however he hasn't.

And the forum is mainly devided in two parts:
The ones who think he is a good player, but don't the the right tools for NHL. Smart posters in this category realize that there isn't a problem with his "hockey IQ", but his playstyle is more suited in Europe. And this is a fair and vaild point.

The other part of the posters (often refered to as the "fanboys") thinks also Linus is a good player but have yet not been given the chance to prove himself. As the player Omark is he needs a certain typ of linemates, icetime and the confidence provided by the coach etc. And a case can be made of this point of view also.

Anyhow; it's good for both the Oilers and Linus that is is preforming very well in the Swiss league.
Guess we will wait to see how this story ends...

Last edited by Thorulf: 01-16-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:52 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Oh look an argument over Omark... must be 10 minutes to the hour again.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
The lack of knowledge, the intolerance and the opinions carved in stone, with no intentions to change the point of view regardless of others arguments or facts.
Well, whatever...

Linus has proven to deliver in SEL, KHL, AHL, Swedish national team and now reacently the Swiss leauge. In NHL however he hasn't.

The ones who think he is a good player, but don't the the right tools for NHL. Smart posters in this category realize that there isn't a problem with his "hockey IQ", but his playstyle is more suited in Europe. And this is a fair and vaild point.

The other part of the posters (often refered to as the "fanboys") thinks also Linus is a good player but have yet not been given the chance to prove himself. As the player Omark is he needs a certain typ of linemates, icetime and the confidence provided by the coach etc. And a case can be made the this point of view also.

Anyhow; it's good for both the Oilers and Linus that is is preforming very well in the Swiss league.
Lol...now that is funny. Let me guess, you consider yourself to be in the smart category and those with view points to the contrary would be the bad side of hfboards. And it is more divided than 2 parts, a lot of people feel that Linus was given a chance and failed to live up to the hype or that he simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I can easily compare the Austrian and Swiss leagues at present
Sure you can...if know nothing about either league. Just like you can easily compare the ECHL and the AHL because both are "secondary leagues"...

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
plikestechno

he's too small and too slow for the nhl game and rinks. he also held onto the puck way too long. when you have more space and time or are playing against lesser opponents you can do that. but not in the nhl where big fast defense is now the norm.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
a lot of people feel that Linus was given a chance
I'm not sure that anyone can fairly argue that Omark was "given a chance". Sadly for him he is a shrimp and I think this was a big factor in the number of NHL games he got. There was also the unfortunate injury that couldn't possibly have happened at a worse time. Finally it appears that Omark didn't want to be in the AHL. He could have stuck around and played in the AHL and he might be getting a chance right now. On the last point he can only blame himself, but the first two points were largely out of his control.

Quote:
and failed to live up to the hype
Fine for the fans to judge him on the hype, but I would hope and expect that the team management would look a little deeper.

Quote:
or that he simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL.
He put up 0.5 PPG in the NHL and 1 PPG in the AHL. Given his stats in other leagues, its pretty hard to say that he isn't good enough.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Oh look an argument over Omark... must be 10 minutes to the hour again.
Yep.

The thread that keeps on giving........

.....giving me a headache.

But it's fun to read the opposing posts on this heated debate.

Here's a question that may be out of date, but I'd like to know.

Why didn't Omark sign up with a KHL club? Considering he has played a year in the KHL, I would have thought he'd go for the money. But maybe money wasn't a big part of it for him. Did he want to play in a specific type of hockey league where his positive abilities could shine through his North American style deficiencies?

Regarding his hockey IQ...I think there is an NHL IQ and a Euro style IQ.

Sorta like North American hotdogs and European Weenies (If this sentence came off as a slight to anyone, it was not intended, but I see how it could be read in a couple of different ways ).

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

What's that you say Linus, you have to play without the leagues top scorer from this year and the past plus an elite level forward now that he's headed back to the NHL. Here's a Kleenex, Leenus. Good luck with that career of yours. - Said no Oiler fan ever.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Well, whatever...

The other part of the posters (often refered to as the "fanboys") thinks also Linus is a good player but have yet not been given the chance to prove himself. As the player Omark is he needs a certain typ of linemates, icetime and the confidence provided by the coach etc. And a case can be made of this point of view also.

You're an apologist for a player who doesn't have what it takes to play in the NHL. Just admit it.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Sure you can...if know nothing about either league. Just like you can easily compare the ECHL and the AHL because both are "secondary leagues"...
Garbage post. The gap between the AHL and ECHL is far greater than that between the Swiss and Austrian leagues. Omark is feasting on weak defenses. Hell, he chose the Swiss league exactly for said purpose.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Copperhead

I see we've stooped to personal attacks here. Wonderful.

IMO, Omark could play in the NHL. He certainly has the skills to produce. The key would be learning a little discipline and maturing (away from the puck-hog he was in his time here). I don't know how he has been playing over in Switzerland (other than the stat line which doesn't tell the whole story) but if he is developing those parts of his game then I expect some team with 2nd line need might take him next year.

I wonder though...I hear the 'Nucks need some 2nd line help...and the Oilers are apparently flirting with Luongo

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Lol...now that is funny. Let me guess, you consider yourself to be in the smart category and those with view points to the contrary would be the bad side of hfboards. And it is more divided than 2 parts, a lot of people feel that Linus was given a chance and failed to live up to the hype or that he simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL.
You're confusing "smart" with "informed".

PD was popping off about leagues he had no clue about and got called on it by someone who watches the games.

You have to admit that it's pretty arrogant for people on this side of the pond to tell people on that side of the pond that they we know more about their leagues than they do. Are you kidding or what?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Why didn't Omark sign up with a KHL club? Considering he has played a year in the KHL, I would have thought he'd go for the money. But maybe money wasn't a big part of it for him.
I remember after his year in the KHL that he had some pretty unflattering things to say about the league and that he'd never play there again.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
You're confusing "smart" with "informed".

PD was popping off about leagues he had no clue about and got called on it by someone who watches the games.

You have to admit that it's pretty arrogant for people on this side of the pond to tell people on that side of the pond that they we know more about their leagues than they do. Are you kidding or what?
No, it's people like you, and our eurosnot Omark lovers, who have twisted what I've said in order to counter my reasonable assessment with your garbage attacks.

My whole point, clearly stated, was that lesser Euro leagues are a fair bit below the KHL and SEL in quality of competition.

Omark chose the Swiss league to rack up easy points and hope a desperate GM brings him back to the NHL for a tryout.

If you call that "popping off", you've got some serious issues.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
McClelland

Quote:
No, it's people like you, and our eurosnot Omark lovers, who have twisted what I've said in order to counter my reasonable assessment with your garbage attacks.

My whole point, clearly stated, was that lesser Euro leagues are a fair bit below the KHL and SEL in quality of competition.

Omark chose the Swiss league to rack up easy points and hope a desperate GM brings him back to the NHL for a tryout.

And how do you know all this about omark! Read a interview that he choosed swiss leuage over a couple of khl teams who he didnt liked because he had been injured and wanted a team with 1 line duty with a lot of toi. Be so that the swiss leuage is easier but he wanted his career going and he did pretty well compare to many other nhl stars there.

I begin to think that you trolling this thread! Is it your second account replacement with another edge? The jury is still out on omark. As zetterberg said , its about to have luck to coming to a team and coach who believes in you and doesnt send you down over the first mistake you do when you are a late draftpick. He isnt gonna be a superstar,but with right enviroment i think he can rack up 50-60 p seasons, his pp qualitys is the key here, but thats only my view, other posters can think on their own. Only wait and see whats happen, with his prizetag im sure the chance will come for him.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

Every time you touch the keyboard you're popping off dude. Go look at the tone of every one of your posts.

The Swiss league salaries are just a hair below the SEL and half of what the KHL theoretically pays but the lifestyle in Switzerland is vastly superior. Shorter travel times, safer transportation, nicer cities, nicer everything.

A lot of nhl'ers who played in Russia before would never go back.

I remember a Russian nhl'er saying that when he was over there he got paid cash, on random dates, in brown paper bags and just hid it in the gaping holes in the walls of his apartment.

Omark did the KHL and the SEL, I don't think he has as much to prove there as you do. The KHL didn't just magically transform over the last 3 years.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
And how do you know all this about omark! Read a interview that he choosed swiss leuage over a couple of khl teams who he didnt liked because he had been injured and wanted a team with 1 line duty with a lot of toi. Be so that the swiss leuage is easier but he wanted his career going and he did pretty well compare to many other nhl stars there.

I begin to think that you trolling this thread! Is it your second account replacement with another edge? The jury is still out on omark. As zetterberg said , its about to have luck to coming to a team and coach who believes in you and doesnt send you down over the first mistake you do when you are a late draftpick. He isnt gonna be a superstar,but with right enviroment i think he can rack up 50-60 p seasons, his pp qualitys is the key here, but thats only my view, other posters can think on their own. Only wait and see whats happen, with his prizetag im sure the chance will come for him.
You're coming around to my POV. We agree on most things. He will get another chance.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Every time you touch the keyboard you're popping off dude. Go look at the tone of every one of your posts.

The Swiss league salaries are just a hair below the SEL and half of what the KHL theoretically pays but the lifestyle in Switzerland is vastly superior. Shorter travel times, safer transportation, nicer cities, nicer everything.

A lot of nhl'ers who played in Russia before would never go back.

I remember a Russian nhl'er saying that when he was over there he got paid cash, on random dates, in brown paper bags and just hid it in the gaping holes in the walls of his apartment.

Omark did the KHL and the SEL, I don't think he has as much to prove there as you do. The KHL didn't just magically transform over the last 3 years.
Personnally if I were trying to get back into the NHL I'd be trying to play against the best competition I could. Swiss league is no where near the KHL.

Trying to be a NHLer is about sucking it up and doing what's best for your career. Didn't Omark learn from the last time he ****ed up and thought he knew what was best for him? Just seems to be looking for an easy way and at his age that's not a smart thing to be doing.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote