Notices

Sign Scott Gomez

Old
01-15-2013, 06:37 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Well if you bring in Gomez, you obviously want him in the top six to start. So basically you push Backlund back down to the 3 prob 4 line since we use BJ on the 3rd, he loses confidence again and the cycle goes on and we dump him after this year. Other players that right now fighting for spots that I would like to see get a chance at them.

Bouma, AA, BJ, Byron I would like to see have an opportunity as well not including Winchester in camp right now.
I don't want Gomez anywhere, just to try out. How is a 1yr 900K contract saying to someone I want you in the top 6. I like how Backlund got his "swagger" back, but then you have Stajan and Cervenka on the top spot. Nobody in our lineup is a proven 1st line centre.

Hopefully if you have Gomez centerin a 4th line, you'll actually get a goal from the depth because we couldn't buy them from our bottom 6.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Trae

vCash: 50
Honestly, I'm still on the fence about the idea myself. However, IF management went ahead with this, I don't think I'd mind much at all.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Ashasx

vCash: 500
Why would you guys want Gomez?

It's a waste of a contract spot, nevermind the extra cap hit.

He's not an upgrade over Backlund or Stajan in the top 6, and certainly isn't better than Jones in the bottom 6.

We already have enough mediocre centres. We don't need another taking time away from younger players.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't want Gomez anywhere, just to try out. How is a 1yr 900K contract saying to someone I want you in the top 6. I like how Backlund got his "swagger" back, but then you have Stajan and Cervenka on the top spot. Nobody in our lineup is a proven 1st line centre.

Hopefully if you have Gomez centerin a 4th line, you'll actually get a goal from the depth because we couldn't buy them from our bottom 6.
Gomez had 2 goals in 38 games last season with the Canadiens and went one full calendar year (the entire 2011) without scoring. He couldn't produce anything despite playing good minutes with Pacioretty and/or Gionta on his wings. I think at this juncture, he'd honestly be worse than Stajan on the 4th line.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
I do not want Gomez at all. Lets give out young guys a chance for once. Reminds me too much of Darryl Sutter days.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:35 PM
drewskiv

I would like gomez here. It give some young guy more time in tha AHL. Backlund wad already the 3rd line center he doesnt move. All it does is push tanguy to the second line.

Cammie Gomez Iggy
Tanguy cervenka hudler
Bart backlund glenx

drewskiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
SB47

This discussion topic is an insult...we should not do this ever. Implement a new system and not do this nonsense all over again.

P.S. I feel more dumber after reading this topic...

SB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Flamesfan13

What would the cap hit be if we got him?

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
What would the cap hit be if we got him?
He is a free agent so what ever you sign him to.

To those opposed to it all I ask is why? If he comes to camp and beats out Backlund,Tanguay,Stajan,Cervenka etc GREAT we have a #1 centerman if he comes to camp and looks like **** we dump him in the minors and the owners lose what a million bucks and we have 5 million in cap space? There is literally no lost this isn't Sutter we won't hang on to a vet just because he is a vet ask Conroy if he is the worst player he will be cut like any other player there is no loss.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Feel The Heat

How do I put this? Hmmmmmmmm NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Guido Sarducci

No. Never, never, never take a player who is being paid by another team. And being paid to simply stay away.Didn't Mcarty and Amonte teach us that.

If the Canadians are willing to pay millions to make him go away don't you think that's a big red flag? Who cares how much he makes , one goal in a calendar doesn't cut it at the league min. If He signs anywhere it should be 2 way.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Mifroid

vCash: 321
That sounds like a very bad idea. I'd stay away from the guy. Or maybe I'd give him a try, but eyh... not sure he's the guy the Flames are looking for. He's small, he always makes the same plays. Really easy to play against.

I know the Flames have some trouble at center, but there's no way he is the answer. I'd wait and see what Tangs can offer as the #1 center, and if Cervenka is as good as expected, the Flames might be decent at this position.

Mifroid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
tfong

Quote:

The issue being u don't believe Gomez is any good as a checking line player.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
The issue being u don't believe Gomez is any good as a checking line player.
Again if Gomez isn't the best player he wouldn't have a spot on the roster, if he can't prove he can be an effective nhl player in the role he would have he will be in the ahl which desperately needs some offensive help either way he helps us.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Reinhart

I would not sign Gomez if for nothing else than to keep the contract numbers down. I am hoping the Flames are able to sign a couple of good NCAA UFAs this year.

Also (knocking on wood) IF the Flames end up falling flat this season, having some extra contract space can come in handy to take a few prospects in exchange for a player or two. Better at least to keep your options open.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
I would not sign Gomez if for nothing else than to keep the contract numbers down. I am hoping the Flames are able to sign a couple of good NCAA UFAs this year.

Also (knocking on wood) IF the Flames end up falling flat this season, having some extra contract space can come in handy to take a few prospects in exchange for a player or two. Better at least to keep your options open.
Not a bad point I think we have 47 contracts right now but assuming we fall flat we would be sellers so most likely contract spots wouldn't matter as much as if we were buyers.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Would anyone be opposed to signing him for 1 year somewhere under a million.

Yes. Very much so.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
MVW

I'd rather sign Arnott if this was something management felt we needed. I know he's way past his prime, but I always felt like him and Iggy would do well together.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I just hate our centre depth. Sure Cervenka was good outside of the NHL, how many KHL stars come over and tear it up? The real truth is that he might be a mediocre center.

Sure Backlund had a good lock out performance, but has Backlund looked like anything more than a mediocre centre at this point. Then there's Stajan and that debate...

We missed the playoffs because we were weak down the middle last year both in terms of too few goals, too few shootout goals, and poor faceoffs, so given how many what ifs are surrounding our centre positions, what's the harm in looking at one more?

Last edited by MarkGio: 01-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I just hate our centre depth. Sure Cervenka was good outside of the NHL, how many KHL stars come over and tear it up? The real truth is that he might be a mediocre center.

Sure Backlund had a good lock out performance, but has Backlund looked like anything more than a mediocre centre at this point. The there's Stajan and that debate...

We missed the playoffs because we were weak down the middle last year both in terms of too few goals, too few shootout goals, and poor faceoffs, so given how many what ifs are surrounding our centre positions, what's the harm in looking at one more?
He wasn't even that great at center outside of the nhl I think hes going to end up being a winger if he stays in the nhl.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
I'd rather have Redden tbh.
+1, count me in this camp.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:07 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
+1, count me in this camp.
How about neither?

Why any of you would want to add redundant underperforming over-the-hill talent is beyond me. Feaster has gone out of his way to clear out such players from this roster over the past few years for a reason. It simply does not work.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:29 AM
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer

Yeah, no thank you.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:09 AM
tfong

I just dont believe Gomez takes a min contract or 1 mill. I think he still gets 1.5 to 2 despite his current history.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
To those opposed to it all I ask is why? If he comes to camp and beats out Backlund,Tanguay,Stajan,Cervenka etc GREAT we have a #1 centerman if he comes to camp and looks like **** we dump him in the minors and the owners lose what a million bucks and we have 5 million in cap space? There is literally no lost this isn't Sutter we won't hang on to a vet just because he is a vet ask Conroy if he is the worst player he will be cut like any other player there is no loss.
Why? Because I'm tired of this team doing bandaid fixes by signing over the hill veterans when we could be giving that ice time to younger players.

You think Gomez can come into camp and wow you? I'll save you the trouble - Gomez will never be a first line center in the NHL again. Book it. Quote me on it. His regression has been eye-popping, and there is no way he would outplay Alex Tanguay or outwork Mikael Backlund or Matt Stajan in camp.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote