HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

John Gibson

Old
01-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I didn't say Gibson is their only goalie prospect. I said Gibson is their only blue chipper, as Vipors already mentioned. Anderson, Fasth and even Bobkov are all big, intriguing prospects but not nearly on the same level as Gibson.
Andersen currently has the best save percentage of any rookie goalie down in the AHL. If he isn't blue chip, he certainly looks like he's heading that way.

As others have pointed out, the WJCs is not the ultimate testing ground. While I'm most optimistic about Gibson, I think we need to remember all the future stars in net, from the WJCs, that never got farther than the AHL.

Last edited by Exit Dose: 01-04-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:16 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Goalie prospects don't have that much value, no way anaheim trades him because his value would probably be a 2nd rounder or something, but he has franchise type goalie upside
People kept saying that, but there's no actual reason to believe that. Quality goaltending prospects just happen to not get traded, for obvious reasons. That doesn't mean they don't have value. It's not like a lot of such goalie prospects have gotten traded and brought back weak returns. People just assume so because of the added difficulty to project a goalie prospect's development - that might just make the few very best prospects for that position all the more valuable. Those just don't get traded.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Spectrefire

Goaltenders are the most volatile prospects in the game. They're hard enough to predict after years of pro-development, and almost impossible at the junior level.

They're just too much of a wildcard to be worth all that much.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:50 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Except that his performance in the WJC is basically how he has always played in the OHL also. This is him, not him playing fantastic.
Oh please, these stats are not him.

Campbell actually did play similarly, his stats were just bad because of playing for an offense-first team, if you ever actually bothered to watch him.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Campbell actually did play similarly, his stats were just bad because of playing for an offense-first team, if you ever actually bothered to watch him.
So you are telling me that this play from Gibson is out of character for him?

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Curious what his value would be after the way he's been playing. The Ducks are loaded with talented goalie prospects so that's something to consider.
I'm not a Ducks fan, but I have been keeping my eye on Gibson for a while. It started because we have the same doctor and he has a signed picture of Gibson in his office.

But anyway, I have thought that this guy is going to be a very good #1 goaltender in the near future starting about 2 years ago. He has gotten noticeably better since then.

After his showing in the junior championships he is getting noticed by everyone else and his value is only going up.

I really think that any offer for Gibson has to make them want to trade Gibson and a realistic offer that does that will be very few. I know that if I was the one trading him I would at least want one of the top 2 picks in this years draft.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I'm not a Ducks fan, but I have been keeping my eye on Gibson for a while. It started because we have the same doctor and he has a signed picture of Gibson in his office.

But anyway, I have thought that this guy is going to be a very good #1 goaltender in the near future starting about 2 years ago. He has gotten noticeably better since then.

After his showing in the junior championships he is getting noticed by everyone else and his value is only going up.

I really think that any offer for Gibson has to make them want to trade Gibson and a realistic offer that does that will be very few. I know that if I was the one trading him I would at least want one of the top 2 picks in this years draft.
I gotta agree with this. Gibson has shown remarkable numbers for years now. And his stock is only going up.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

vCash: 68
Quote:

Bro...I typically love your posts but you can't tell me your still optimistic about Campbell. You can't tell me Gibson is playing like crap and has been. I get why you want Campbell to pan out...I really do. But he's been disappointing. And don't bring up offense first teams. The defense in front of Gibson in Kitchener is borderline brutal. He has to make 30+ saves pretty much everything night and he still stays around a 2 GAA and above a 90 save percentage. Campbell hasn't been below a 3 GAA since his WJC I think in 2010 at any level.

Gibson is superior as of now and might be in the future. You can keep telling yourself otherwise but be ready to be disappointed.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Gibson is one of the few goalie prospects right now that seem like sure-fire number ones in the next 2-3 years.
There are no goalie prospects that are 'sure-fire'.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
There are no goalie prospects that are 'sure-fire'.
This. Which is why noone would pay enough to make it worth it for the Ducks.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Stephen

Gibson is not someone who is going to be traded because a) realistically his value isn't that high and b) it's a huge risk for Anaheim to dump him at a low value because he's essentially a mystery box. The past five American goalies to win the best goalie award at the WJCs are Jack Campbell, Al Montoya, Rick Dipietro, Mike Dunham and Allan Perry. So if you're Anaheim, you're not going to give up on him and if you're any other team, you're not going to be offering up anything that great just because he could end up being Al Montoya. Or worse, Allan Perry.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Bro...I typically love your posts but you can't tell me your still optimistic about Campbell. You can't tell me Gibson is playing like crap and has been. I get why you want Campbell to pan out...I really do. But he's been disappointing. And don't bring up offense first teams. The defense in front of Gibson in Kitchener is borderline brutal. He has to make 30+ saves pretty much everything night and he still stays around a 2 GAA and above a 90 save percentage. Campbell hasn't been below a 3 GAA since his WJC I think in 2010 at any level.

Gibson is superior as of now and might be in the future. You can keep telling yourself otherwise but be ready to be disappointed.
People were saying the exact same things about Campbell after his run. Stats like you saw from Campbell and from Gibson are almost always out of character, unless you're gonna tell me he puts up 95+ save % in juniors every game too.

Again, Campbell has never had a team like Gibson has until this year, and our coach refuses to play him for whatever reason (he has been underwhelming though, I'll give you that). But to say Gibson is head and shoulders above Campbell is absurd.

Stephen points out what I'm trying to say, a good WJC tourney really means nothing. Has he been impressive outside of the WJCs? Yea, but not close to the point where he's a top 3 goalie prospect in the world.

I don't even know why anyone bothers ranking goalie prospects, such a huge crapshoot outside of the elite guys (which neither Gibson nor Campbell are).

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:47 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Gibson also has guys like Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba, Connor Muprhy and Jake McCabe in front of him right now...

i'm not saying he will or won't be great... i actually think he will be, and i would love if the flyers had him in their system... but you can't expect his showing in the WJC a precursor to his play in the pros...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:19 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I listed Gibson in a thread earlier this year about steals of the draft. Ive loved the guy's potential since I first saw him in the OHL and I think he will be a great goalie in the NHL, just as he has been at every level (someone on twitter posted a stat about him never having had a season save percentage of under 0.925 since his u-17 days)

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Gibson also has guys like Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba, Connor Muprhy and Jake McCabe in front of him right now...

i'm not saying he will or won't be great... i actually think he will be, and i would love if the flyers had him in their system... but you can't expect his showing in the WJC a precursor to his play in the pros...
That's irrelevant. Check his shots against stats in every WJC game. With that logic we can say that Gibby would have to make 40 saves a game with a more average defense.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Ducksgo*

Quote:
People were saying the exact same things about Campbell after his run. Stats like you saw from Campbell and from Gibson are almost always out of character, unless you're gonna tell me he puts up 95+ save % in juniors every game too.

Again, Campbell has never had a team like Gibson has until this year, and our coach refuses to play him for whatever reason (he has been underwhelming though, I'll give you that). But to say Gibson is head and shoulders above Campbell is absurd.

Stephen points out what I'm trying to say, a good WJC tourney really means nothing. Has he been impressive outside of the WJCs? Yea, but not close to the point where he's a top 3 goalie prospect in the world.

I don't even know why anyone bothers ranking goalie prospects, such a huge crapshoot outside of the elite guys (which neither Gibson nor Campbell are).
I agree with the other poster. I usually do enjoy reading your posts. But like other posters have mentioned in this thread this is what Gibson has been doing most of his career. This is actually not that far outta field to be seeing from Gibson. He is on an elite level status.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Ducksgo*

Quote:

And Canada has there fair share of impressive prospects as well including a NHLer in RNH and the top prospect in the the draft with McKinnon. As well as other big names. Throwing out impressive prospects on each team is only a dumb argument to discuss.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:31 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
That's irrelevant. Check his shots against stats in every WJC game. With that logic we can say that Gibby would have to make 40 saves a game with a more average defense.
So you think that the Gibson is the sole reason the US has allowed the fewest goals in the tournament? While he's a huge contributing factor, the team defensive play has driven most shots to low percentage areas of the ice.

I still think Gibson can be a very good starter in the nhl, he's talented enough and has the poise, I'm just pointing out that his performance in this tournament has been helped along by a well coached, and very effective D.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:49 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
So you think that the Gibson is the sole reason the US has allowed the fewest goals in the tournament? While he's a huge contributing factor, the team defensive play has driven most shots to low percentage areas of the ice.

I still think Gibson can be a very good starter in the nhl, he's talented enough and has the poise, I'm just pointing out that his performance in this tournament has been helped along by a well coached, and very effective D.
I would actually completely disagree with that statement. Against both Canada and Russia in the preliminary rounds the team was consistently giving up odd man rushes. The team defense has not been what I would consider above average until the last game against Canada. Gibson was almost the sole reason the Canada and Russia games were close.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:05 AM
IceDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Hey guys! Have you heard about this Steve Mason kid? He was unbelievable at the world juniors. He is clearly a blue chip prospect and is worth 8 1st overalls.

Fast forward a few years...

Goalies are so unpredictable. Draft pedigree and how they play in junior means nothing towards their NHL careers. Guys like Price were an exception. I would rather trade for someone like Holtby who stepped up cold against a very good team and played with everything he had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Please. If he was your prospect you'd be salivating over him.
That is probably true, but he is still right. He played very good at the WJC, but that doesnt mean he will be a stud in the NHL. Lots of guys dominated the tournament and never stuck in the NHL.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Gibson was great. Before annointing him anything, I recall Jack Campbell being great in a WJHC. Where's he now? I could name several Canadian goalies I could say the same about over the years. He looks like a good prospect. But he hasn't proven a thing professionally.
Seriously??? Campbell is 20 years old, do you think he should be an NHL All-Star by now? Dallas has Lehtonen in the cage for now so Campbell is exactly where he should be....In the AHL getting playing time and experience. Give him a couple years, you will see his name in the show!

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
In total honesty, I would much rather have a guy like Holtby. Gibson's greatest strength was his spread. It forced the Canadians to aim higher but they were being so sloppy about it so they kept hitting the glass.

He will still most likely turn into a great goaltender. But at this age it is so hard to tell. For whatever reason, goaltenders can go from boom to bust in just a few years.
Yeah.....It's not just goalies. Ever hear of Alexander Daigle? Yeah...He was the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

Quote:

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying if it weren't for those guys he'd probably end up facing 40 or more shots a night. Instead he faced about 30 per game and still kept it low. Trouba, Jones, McCabe didn't make those 30 or so saves for him. That's what I meant.

And as it's already been said, in the Canada and Russia games it could've been worse without Gibson. Hell in the Canada game Jones led to a goal with his awful coverage. If it wasn't for that, USA and Canada might have gone to OT.

Last edited by HanSolo: 01-05-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 07:49 PM
jameswrjobe53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Frederik Andersen (born 2 October 1989) is a Danish ice hockey goaltender, who currently plays for Norfolk Admirals.
Source: plagirized from wikipedia

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Exit Dose

As a few days of a camp have passed, I wouldn't expect that the Ducks see him as expendable because Andersen and Bobkov are in the pipeline. If anything, those two are more likely to be traded than Gibson.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote