HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center Ice Discussion.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Clarence Beeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
This simply isn't true. I've paid money to DirecTV to access channels such as NBC and NHLN. I've paid money to XM radio to listen to my different stations. It's a fixed rate. If I don't watch/listen to hockey, or if I do, I'm not being charged any more or less. It might make the league more money off of advertisements, but none of this extra money is coming from my pocket. I'm not worried about them making money. I WANT them to make money so the league I love continues. However, they won't get any money from me, that I've worked hard to obtain.
It definitely does make the league more money and it definitely is coming from your pocket, and not just from advertisemet. If you purchase packages that include those channels, you are paying them. Indirectly, one step removed, of course, but paying the nonetheless. You can purchase packages with Direct that don't include either one. That said, if you watch those channels, and your Direct box is connected to the Internet, your indirect payment just got a whole lot more direct.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Shady Machine

Yeah 50 bones is a decent price. I'm just more frustrated at the existence of the NHL Network. The league should make that **** free because most cable companies don't offer it in their normal package. Since the Pens play on it so much (14 games this year), I have to pay 50 for Center Ice and 10 a month for the sports package to watch all the games. Not trying to *****, it just really frustrates me.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
I havent't had any problems with the PS3 App so far.
I'm thinking about going the PS3 route this year. Is there any lag? As in, the stream is completely live and not a few minutes behind?

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The thing that pisses me off about the NHL Network is that you have to have digital cable to get it. When I was living on campus grounds in Missoula I had free cable...but for me to get the NHL Network would have required getting a whole new cable plan and bypassing the free connection - meaning it wasn't the ~$5 extra (with the other sport networks) it is right now, but about $80 extra per month. Blacking out a network with such limited availability is just awful.

edit: Oh yeah, and to the best of my knowledge the NBC Sports Network is still a digital channel as well.

I'm ecstatic to not have to watch half of the games on streams this year, though the first game of the year I'm going to have to resort to that thanks to regional coverage.

I understand the point of regional coverage from NBC's point of view...but they should have made these two games a double-header instead of regional games.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-15-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The thing that pisses me off about the NHL Network is that you have to have digital cable to get it. When I was living on campus grounds in Missoula I had free cable...but for me to get the NHL Network would have required getting a whole new cable plan and bypassing the free connection - meaning it wasn't the ~$5 extra (with the other sport networks) it is right now, but about $80 extra per month. Blacking out a network with such limited availability is just awful.
Yeah I had the same issue in college. And my last *****ing moment is with Cleveland's NBC network. In the dorms, I could only see Pen's games when they played on NBC (this was before VS was a legit channel). So it's my sophomore year and I'm pumped that the Pen's are finally on NBC in the afternoon against the Flyers. I turn on the TV and the Indians game is on. WKYC Cleveland blacks out a nationally broadcasted hockey game for their piece of garbage local baseball team. It's so ridiculous. Why not play the Indians on Sports Time Ohio or Fox Sports Ohio? What kind of city does that ****? end rant.

In those cases, it's blacked out on Center Ice because it's on NBC and then local NBC blacks it out for the Indians game. Fortunately it only happens a few times a year but it used to make me go bonkers.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
GCL is going to be $49.99 according to an email they just sent me. That's not bad at all.
I'd buy it right now if 75% of the Pens games weren't blacked out.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

I'm ecstatic to not have to watch half of the games on streams this year, though the first game of the year I'm going to have to resort to that thanks to regional coverage.

I understand the point of regional coverage from NBC's point of view...but they should have made these two games a double-header instead of regional games.
Yeah they definitely should have been double headers. I think I'll get the Pens game in Cleveland, but Chicago isn't that far either so who knows.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScoundrel View Post
The NHL Center Ice TV package will cost $49.99 next season. It is free from Jan. 19 to Jan. 31.
Is this $49.99 for all TV providers?? And by "next season" does that mean the season that starts this saturday, or the season that starts in October of this year?

I'm thinking that the article is referring to the season that starts on Saturday but it is Rossi who wrote it so who knows?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I'm thinking about going the PS3 route this year. Is there any lag? As in, the stream is completely live and not a few minutes behind?
There is the standard 30 sec delay, which you also have if you watch online. Other than that I didn't experience any lag.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:

edit: Oh yeah, and to the best of my knowledge the NBC Sports Network is still a digital channel as well.

Good news for you...

Sean Leahy ‏@Sean_Leahy
http://NBCSports.com will live stream both LAK/CHI & PIT/PHI for those who will not get one on TV.

From what I remember, their streams are HD.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
It definitely does make the league more money and it definitely is coming from your pocket, and not just from advertisemet. If you purchase packages that include those channels, you are paying them. Indirectly, one step removed, of course, but paying the nonetheless. You can purchase packages with Direct that don't include either one. That said, if you watch those channels, and your Direct box is connected to the Internet, your indirect payment just got a whole lot more direct.
Just, no. You are wrong. Accept it. I pay DirecTV a fixed rate of 90 dollars per month. That price stays the same if hockey is on TV or not. Now that the lockout is over, my bill isn't going to go up, just as it didn't go down. Understand? I don't have to spend any extra money to watch hockey on the channels I'm provided for that 90 dollar fee. Likewise, I don't get to pay less if I don't watch those channels while they are broadcasting hockey. DirecTV might be paying some of my money to the NHL as a fee, but the exact same thing happens to someone in Alabama that doesn't even know what hockey is, assuming they have the same standard package as I do.

You're saying, more or less, that I'm going to be charged by the NHL a fee for watching NBC while they're broadcasting hockey and that simply isn't true lol.

Again, I'm not saying the NHL isn't getting paid by NBC, NHLN, etc., to broadcast those games, but DirecTV is the one paying for that service. Not me. I'm paying DirecTV for NBC. Not hockey.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Just, no. You are wrong. Accept it. I pay DirecTV a fixed rate of 90 dollars per month. That price stays the same if hockey is on TV or not. Now that the lockout is over, my bill isn't going to go up, just as it didn't go down. Understand? I don't have to spend any extra money to watch hockey on the channels I'm provided for that 90 dollar fee. Likewise, I don't get to pay less if I don't watch those channels while they are broadcasting hockey. DirecTV might be paying some of my money to the NHL as a fee, but the exact same thing happens to someone in Alabama that doesn't even know what hockey is, assuming they have the same standard package as I do.

You're saying, more or less, that I'm going to be charged by the NHL a fee for watching NBC while they're broadcasting hockey and that simply isn't true lol.

Again, I'm not saying the NHL isn't getting paid by NBC, NHLN, etc., to broadcast those games, but DirecTV is the one paying for that service. Not me. I'm paying DirecTV for NBC. Not hockey.
I never said, or implied, that you can choose individual channels. That said, you can choose packages to get individual channels. You don't get the NHLNetwork as part of the "basic" programming package on Direct which means that you CAN change your programming based upon whether you want that programming or not. And you can make that change at any time that you want, so you most certainly can see your bill go up and down based upon whether it is hockey season or not.
You can get it one of two ways: buy their "sports pack" or subscribe to the second highest tier of programming that they offer. In our house, we only subscribe to the package that gets us NHLNetwork during hockey season. That's thr clearest example possible that the price DOES change depending on whether there is hockey on. If there is no hockey, I don't pay for NHLNetwork (and the other channels in the package group), which means that Direct doesn't have that money (or has that much less money) to pay to those channels. I also never said the part about being charged a fee to watch NBC. Where you got that from, I have no idea. What I said is that, if your box is connected to the Internet, Direct knows what you're watching. Which helps them set rates with channel service providers, which helps them set advertising rates AND subscriptions fee rates. The point being that by having, and watching, those channels you are putting money in the NHL's pocket, through Directv. A friendly reminder: before you tell someone they are wrong, make sure that you (1) understand the other person's argument and (2) are right. Most definitely, by subscribing to and watching those channels on Directv you are putting money in the NHL's pocket, which was my (very simple) point.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Good news for you...

Sean Leahy ‏@Sean_Leahy
http://NBCSports.com will live stream both LAK/CHI & PIT/PHI for those who will not get one on TV.

Excellent. NBC's streams are beautiful.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

One, I never said I get the basic package. I said the 90 dollar package. That is their highest package. Every channel is basically included. I don't add, or subtract packages depending on the sports season. NHLN is not the only channel offered in that sports program. Most people that buy that program do so for the FSN channels, meaning, someone could know as much about hockey as I do quantum physics. zilch. Two, I don't plug my box into the internet.

So again, lets try to get you to understand this...

The amount of money I paid for DirecTV in August will be the exact same amount of money I'm paying in February. How DirecTV then decides to allocate that money is their business. Whether they give the NHL all of that money, or none of that money has nothing to do with me.Once I pay DirecTV my money, it is no longer my money. It then becomes DirecTVs.

I'm really not sure why I've spent this much time debating this with you. Work sucks.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Excellent. NBC's streams are beautiful.
Is it too much to ask that every Pens game be on NBC? (With Errey doing the color though, haha!)

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Good news for you...

Sean Leahy ‏@Sean_Leahy

Oh nice, I just looked on my cable box guide and it said my regional game was going to be LAK/CHI...

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

I have Insight cable which was bought out by Time Warner. I called in and they have zero clue whether or not they're getting Center Ice. Even though they had some channels designated for it on my guide. The guy on the phone said that that doesn't matter and he's not sure if they're going to carry it or not.

If I go with GCL how do I turn off the scores so I can't see them when I want to start a game?

Dick Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Premier Sports trying to make it so that there games that they show in the UK will not be able to be watched on GCL. Hope they fail, they're not a national broadcaster.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Clarence Beeks

I'll break this down a little easier. Probably the most important response is the last one.

Quote:
One, I never said I get the basic package. I said the 90 dollar package. That is their highest package. Every channel is basically included.
You said this:
Quote:
DirecTV might be paying some of my money to the NHL as a fee, but the exact same thing happens to someone in Alabama that doesn't even know what hockey is, assuming they have the same standard package as I do.
I misunderstood "standard" as basic.

Quote:
I don't add, or subtract packages depending on the sports season. NHLN is not the only channel offered in that sports program. Most people that buy that program do so for the FSN channels, meaning, someone could know as much about hockey as I do quantum physics. zilch.
You actually might want to consider it, unless you're doing it for the movie channels. If you're doing it for the sports channels (e.g. FSN, etc.), you can get a much lower package and just get the "sports pack" to get every single sports channel. I think it's $10. This, though, is the basic point I was getting at with my first question to you. Believe it or not, I wasn't meaning to be a jerk. I just wanted to know what your rationale was.

Quote:
Two, I don't plug my box into the internet.
That's why I said "if".

Quote:
So again, lets try to get you to understand this...
This was kind of a dickish way to say this. You made a similar comment earlier, and it's the type of comment that got me fired up in responding to you to begin with.

Quote:
The amount of money I paid for DirecTV in August will be the exact same amount of money I'm paying in February. How DirecTV then decides to allocate that money is their business. Whether they give the NHL all of that money, or none of that money has nothing to do with me.Once I pay DirecTV my money, it is no longer my money. It then becomes DirecTVs.
This is true, but the fact is, they are allocating some of it to the NHL, so you are indirectly giving money to the NHL, regardless of how you want to look at it. It's not as if you can say to Directv "hey, I don't like the NHL, so sequester my money and contribute all of my proceeds to the Oprah Network so that none of it goes to the NHL that I hate". Your point is exactly right in that it all goes into one big pot. It's like paying taxes and trying to claim that you don't help pay for wars.

Quote:
I'm really not sure why I've spent this much time debating this with you. Work sucks.
You answered your own question. Same reason I'm debating this with you. Plus, it's the internet and we're all beyond ready for hockey to actually start. For my part, I apologize. I honestly just wanted to hear your rationale. Admittedly, I set things off on the wrong foot with my first post. That post really wasn't directed at you, personally, but rather everyone expressing that sentiment. It just gets old. I apologize.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
I'll break this down a little easier. Probably the most important response is the last one.

You said this:

I misunderstood "standard" as basic.

You actually might want to consider it, unless you're doing it for the movie channels. If you're doing it for the sports channels (e.g. FSN, etc.), you can get a much lower package and just get the "sports pack" to get every single sports channel. I think it's $10. This, though, is the basic point I was getting at with my first question to you. Believe it or not, I wasn't meaning to be a jerk. I just wanted to know what your rationale was.

That's why I said "if".

This was kind of a dickish way to say this. You made a similar comment earlier, and it's the type of comment that got me fired up in responding to you to begin with.

This is true, but the fact is, they are allocating some of it to the NHL, so you are indirectly giving money to the NHL, regardless of how you want to look at it. It's not as if you can say to Directv "hey, I don't like the NHL, so sequester my money and contribute all of my proceeds to the Oprah Network so that none of it goes to the NHL that I hate". Your point is exactly right in that it all goes into one big pot. It's like paying taxes and trying to claim that you don't help pay for wars.

You answered your own question. Same reason I'm debating this with you. Plus, it's the internet and we're all beyond ready for hockey to actually start. For my part, I apologize. I honestly just wanted to hear your rationale. Admittedly, I set things off on the wrong foot with my first post. That post really wasn't directed at you, personally, but rather everyone expressing that sentiment. It just gets old. I apologize.
Yea, we probably both owe eachother apologies. ****! I just realized they're making us turn on each other! This is what they wanted. Only one way to settle this...

Im sorry man!

Last edited by M0NTY26: 01-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
That stinks. For as much as Time Warner wants to fight everyone (we just got NFLN this season), we've had that channel since it's inception on basic cable package. Even now with digital cable I think it's included in the non sports tier. Just don't tell TW this or they'll find a way to screw that over too.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:18 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Good news for you...

Sean Leahy ‏@Sean_Leahy

Should I not get the game on TV, will this be available to Canadians as well??? Or would I get some "this stream is not viewable for those outside the US" crap if I was forced to watch online.

I just looked on my cable box guide and it said my regional game is going to be the Pens and Flyers. But it's the NBC Buffalo channel so I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so I guess I need to get this in SC. I have no idea who my cable provider will be. Is this something that I can add onto a normal cable plan quickly? I am very new to this out of local market thing. I have never been more than 40 miles from Pittsburgh for more than a week or so.
It's worth it. And the black outs only affect you if they're playing the Hurricanes. Even then depending on where you are in SC it might not.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
It's worth it. And the black outs only affect you if they're playing the Hurricanes. Even then depending on where you are in SC it might not.
Or if it's on NHL network.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Premier Sports have no idea now if the games they show will be blacked out but they're insistent they are.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote