HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 07:53 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Zetterberg is the new Wings captain.
No surprise here, was between him or Pavel.

Anyone else think the Flyers are going to do some serious damage this year? There my early cup prediction....

Old
01-15-2013, 07:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I know...it just seems that the Islanders are petty in their actions, much as the Sabres were under Golisano
I was just posting they could do it and its within their rights to do so. Whether its petty or not was up to him. I see both sides of it so as I posted previously..........

Old
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post

Anyone else think the Flyers are going to do some serious damage this year? There my early cup prediction....
Speaking of the Flyers...

Giroux was named their captain.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its in the rules. If you're injured and can't play because of it you can be suspended. It doesn't matter if its waterskiing, playing rec league hockey or in this case playing oversees during the lockout, etc. If its not an injury related to playing for your team and you can't honor your contract you can get suspended. It also applies to health issues as well. If you recall the Sabres suspended Teppo when he wasn't able to play due to his heart (?) issues.

Whether its petty or not ......
Quote:
Irrelevant.

They can be suspended was the point and thats why.
Sure, they can be, but many owners turn the other cheek. Take Terrell Suggs tearing his achilles in a basketball game. Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said he wasn't going to suspend him or dock him pay. Rather, he lauded Suggs for taking part in activities to stay in shape during the offseason. One would think that the Isles would have left it up to their players regarding whether or not they played during the lockout.

For an organization already viewed as cheap, and one that seems to have a recruiting problem, it may have been a better idea to just pay the guys.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I was just posting they could do it and its within their rights to do so. Whether its petty or not was up to him. I see both sides of it so as I posted previously..........
I know...I just think with the Islanders its par for the course and there caring attitude will go a long way to getting Vish to come back to them

Old
01-15-2013, 08:07 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sure, they can be, but many owners turn the other cheek. Take Terrell Suggs tearing his achilles in a basketball game. Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said he wasn't going to suspend him or dock him pay. Rather, he lauded Suggs for taking part in activities to stay in shape during the offseason. One would think that the Isles would have left it up to their players regarding whether or not they played during the lockout.

For an organization already viewed as cheap, and one that seems to have a recruiting problem, it may have been a better idea to just pay the guys.

Again, I know they don't have to be suspended. I was passing along that its within the rules for the team to do so.

I don't want to derail this thread into another CBA battle and thats why I didn't offer my take initially. But I can understand if a team is pissed at a player working in another league during a work stoppage. Then getting injured at that other job and being unable to do their job for their primary employer. Thats not quite the same as Suggs getting hurt in a pick up basketball game.

I don't disagree that this may hurt the Isles either. But with as much as they are getting crapped on right now. I'm not shocked they are starting to lash out.

But again, my initial posts were just passing along its within the rules.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
jfb392

Quote:
ICEHockeyAgent Lubomir Visnovsky said he looks forward to reporting to the NYI after tending to "personal reasons" which have kept him from reporting.
http://twitter.com/ICEHockeyAgent/st...77578336452608

Number of KHL lockout contracts signed: 43
Number of KHL lockout contracts remaining: 0

I think this whole KHL fiasco should teach everyone an important lesson: take everything that's sourced from Russian media by North American journalists with a grain of salt.
Not that they aren't legitimate, but they're sometimes guilty of the same type of stuff as North American media (yellow journalism).
A very recent example has to be the whole Kovalchuk thing, where they quoted him as saying "my heart is in Russia but I have a contract...", which is misleading because it was more along the lines of "my heart is in Russia of course, because I am from here, but I have a contract in North America".
There are also many things that get lost in translation.
Lastly, there's still plenty of people on both sides that just plain don't like the other side.
Even the best are guilty of it, like Bob McKenzie's penchant for crapping on Russians for no reason (loved to call out Grigorenko during the playoffs last year, started all this drama even though he knew very well that it wasn't realistic).

Oh and also, Slava Malamud is an idiot.
Using him as a source is like sourcing The Onion and claiming it's real news.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

I think this whole KHL fiasco should teach everyone an important lesson: take everything that's sourced from Russian media by North American journalists with a grain of salt.
Not that they aren't legitimate, but they're sometimes guilty of the same type of stuff as North American media (yellow journalism).
A very recent example has to be the whole Kovalchuk thing, where they quoted him as saying "my heart is in Russia but I have a contract...", which is misleading because it was more along the lines of "my heart is in Russia of course, because I am from here, but I have a contract in North America".
Lastly, there's still plenty of people on both sides that just plain don't like the other side.
Even the best are guilty of it, like Bob McKenzie's penchant for crapping on Russians for no reason (loved to call out Grigorenko during the playoffs last year, started all this drama even though he knew very well that it wasn't realistic).

Did we follow the same reports?

If anything, when Bob MacKenzie was stirring up dust by saying KHL is going after NHLers, you had Malamud and Chesnokov saying they're pretty much guaranteeing all NHLers will go back to the NHL.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Regarding the debate, yes it is petty (disputes of all nature always have pettiness on both sides) and I feel for the lower tier/young players who really could have used the supplemental income from playing overseas for a few months, but ultimately the suspensions shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I know...it just seems that the Islanders are petty in their actions, much as the Sabres were under Golisano
Well, Wang is pretty much terrible, so yeah. That franchise had no hope in my opinion until it struck a deal to move to Barclays. That should help their revenue with an immediate burst and hopefully a longterm, sustainable growth. Then maybe Wang will not be such a miser or more likely his threshold for misering will at least rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post

I did not like the JVR-Schenn trade, even though they needed defense and even though I love when relatives play together in sports. It could work out for them and forward depth is obviously not a real concern, but still... I'm sure there was a better trade out there to improve their D. Tangible steps forward from Couts and The Good Schenn should make them as dangerous as any team. Comes down to whether Bryz can play closer to his career norm than he did last season.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 01-16-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old
01-16-2013, 04:53 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:

What you say is true regarding American media sourcing from Russian (or frankly any other foreign language, but especially anything east of central Europe). However, the Russian media by and large is extremely nationalistic, especially those directly or indirectly ran by the state, which if I recall correctly covers a huge proportion of readership. So there's no doubt in my mind that certain outlets were being used for chest-beating at the direction of someone powerful in the Kremlin or in the sports world. This is the kind of thing the Russian political apparatus has many, many decades of experience doing, testing the waters and territorial pissing.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:07 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Did we follow the same reports?

If anything, when Bob MacKenzie was stirring up dust by saying KHL is going after NHLers, you had Malamud and Chesnokov saying they're pretty much guaranteeing all NHLers will go back to the NHL.
Well, that's what I said about McKenzie.
He, along with many other members of the media, were making a huge deal about it.

Chesnokov is reliable but Malamud is another story, as he is essentially a satire account.
You can't really be sure if he's reporting the whole truth, BS'ing it a bit, or completely making it up (like CSKA signing Ovechkin for sure in September).
Or he just makes fun of Russia..
I no longer follow him but all of the media making a big deal out of this seemed to be quoting things he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
What you say is true regarding American media sourcing from Russian (or frankly any other foreign language, but especially anything east of central Europe). However, the Russian media by and large is extremely nationalistic, especially those directly or indirectly ran by the state, which if I recall correctly covers a huge proportion of readership. So there's no doubt in my mind that certain outlets were being used for chest-beating at the direction of someone powerful in the Kremlin or in the sports world. This is the kind of thing the Russian political apparatus has many, many decades of experience doing, testing the waters and territorial pissing.
That's pretty much what I was getting at.
You hear a lot of weird things out of Russian media all the time that possibly can't be true, whether it's NHL players signing contracts with KHL teams when they have years remaining and all sides (agents, player, and team) deny it or player quotes that are just plain bizarre, yet they're always picked up by the media here and reported as fact.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Well, that's what I said about McKenzie.
He, along with many other members of the media, were making a huge deal about it.

Chesnokov is reliable but Malamud is another story, as he is essentially a satire account.
You can't really be sure if he's reporting the whole truth, BS'ing it a bit, or completely making it up (like CSKA signing Ovechkin for sure in September).
Or he just makes fun of Russia..
I no longer follow him but all of the media making a big deal out of this seemed to be quoting things he said.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.
You hear a lot of weird things out of Russian media all the time that possibly can't be true, whether it's NHL players signing contracts with KHL teams when they have years remaining and all sides (agents, player, and team) deny it or player quotes that are just plain bizarre, yet they're always picked up by the media here and reported as fact.
Gotcha, I agree in full. This is a subject (Orwellian confluence of politics and media) I have a really strong interest in.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Its in the rules. If you're injured and can't play because of it you can be suspended. It doesn't matter if its waterskiing, playing rec league hockey or in this case playing oversees during the lockout, etc. If its not an injury related to playing for your team and you can't honor your contract you can get suspended. It also applies to health issues as well. If you recall the Sabres suspended Teppo when he wasn't able to play due to his heart (?) issues.

Whether its petty or not ......
Gotcha thanks for the clarification josh, figured it was for that reason, but hadn't really heard of any other players getting suspended because of being injured playing overseas. I tend to agree with ONG and Zip, that wasn't really such a great PR move for the Islanders and I tend to think a move like that would really tend to piss off the players. Not a smart move when you already have problems bringing in free agents, now you may have problems down the road keeping what little talent you already have.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

AGENT: VISNOVSKY “LOOKS FORWARD” TO REPORTING TO ISLANDERS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413665

Yeah... I'll bet.

At any rate, so ends this whole KHL nonsense and at the same time the chances are even higher that Finley gets waived. Would Buffalo get first crack if Finley goes back on waivers or would they hold their regular position in the order?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
AGENT: VISNOVSKY “LOOKS FORWARD” TO REPORTING TO ISLANDERS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413665

Yeah... I'll bet.

At any rate, so ends this whole KHL nonsense and at the same time the chances are even higher that Finley gets waived. Would Buffalo get first crack if Finley goes back on waivers or would they hold their regular position in the order?
Regular positions in the waiver order.

If Buffalo is the only team to put in a claim though, the Sabres can send him straight to Rochester without exposing him to waivers again. If another team puts in a claim, then even if the Sabres have priority and get him, they have to keep him on the roster or send him through waivers again to send him down.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
joshjull

Quote:

Few really thought any players were staying in the KHL other than one, Vishnovsky. It was fun to watch the drama and speculation unfold. Malamud in particular was pretty funny with some of his ridiculous tweets. It was sort of like the rumors that fly around at the trade deadline. The only player in question was Visnovsky and that was based on his own words. Nothing was lost in translation there.

Visnovsky released a statement through his agent that he was going to stay in the KHL for the remainder of the season for family and personal reasons.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...=nhl-islanders

Quote:
Visnovsky released a statement through his agent Neil Sheehy:

“I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season. I am thankful to the New York Islanders for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons. I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country.”

Newsday also reported Sheehy reiterated his clients's claim that his decision had nothing to do with the Islanders.

“The situation would have been the same with any NHL team.”

He then missed a deadline to report to the Isles leading to the NHL and KHL to have discussions over his status. Pretty much the NHL and KHL reaffirming their agreement.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...=nhl-islanders

Quote:
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Times on Monday that, "we had further contact with the KHL (on Monday), and they continue to assert that Visnovsky will be ineligible to play in KHL games without the Islanders' consent."

KHL head spokesman Ilya Kochevrin told the Times that the matter "will be decided (on Tuesday)."

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, if the KHL upholds the pact and rules Visnovsky ineligible, he would likely return to the Islanders.
So while I agree there was some of the typical Russian hysteria in the press. There was certainly enough there in the Visnovsky situation to warrant the coverage and speculation on his status.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:46 PM
joshjull

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413671

Quote:
One day after the NHL and NHL Players' Association reached an agreement on an accelerated compliance buyout, the Montreal Canadiens placed Scott Gomez on unconditional waivers on Wednesday.

Should he clear waivers on Thursday at Noon et, Montreal will be able to buy him out.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Devils re-sign Zajac long term

8 yrs / 46 mil / 5.75 per

Old
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

It's a slight overpayment (with the cap coming back down), but they couldn't let him walk this summer. But it's workable...they can amnesty buyout someone if they need to, and the cap will probably rise back quite a bit before the end of that deal anyways.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Sabreality

Quote:

owners just cant help themselves.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

He would have gotten something similar on the open market, especially if Getzlaf and Perry get locked up by Anaheim.

Devils have plenty of cap space and almost no veteran forwards other than Kovulchuk under contract for next year. They had to lock him up, even if he just just a good 2nd line center.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
owners just cant help themselves.
I love the way he plays the game... but I think it's pretty tough contract to swallow

Old
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
$59 for CI from DirecTV. GCL is $50 from the NHL.
I was told that DTV's price includes mobile access.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

Man...Zajac is one of my favorite players but...man...

Guess it was what it took to avoid a Parise type situation in the future.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I was told that DTV's price includes mobile access.
oh my lanta that would be outstanding!!

Closed Thread