HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Gomez is not going to be bought out until the off-season.
They made a special Gomez/Redden rule that teams can buy out a player now, but they have to pay the full salary this season and 2/3 of the rest of the contract(basically so those guys don't sit at home doing nothing)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The organizational replacement for Mark Katic?

In light of de Haan's injury for the year and the Visnovsky saga, have no problem seeing Martinek signed and the team chancing it with Finley and Hickey. Both of the latter two should at least help (considerably) at the AHL level and perhaps even on the Island.

In the fall of 2011 when the Kings were in Europe to start the season, I had a chance to talk with one of their executives (hint: a former GM). He pointed out that their franchise had a lot of defenseman they were high on and felt that Hickey had a lot of good traits and should have an NHL future somewhere, even if he were to ultimately get lost in the numbers game in the Kings' organization.

We'll now see if it's here, but I certainly don't think he's any worse or less developed at this juncture than guys like Katic, Ness or perhaps even de Haan. I feel pretty confident in saying that he's likely an organizational upgrade over Wishart and Landry.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:07 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
The defense doesn't look great but I'm excited to see how they do. These are good moves and these guys have potential. Who know's, maybe these moves will pay off.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Isles Junkie

his D partners nickname will be Turtleneck. Always covering Hickeys mistakes.

or

Hickey Sucks

I couldn't decide.

Either way, happy he's here. At the very least between Hickey & Finley the Isles won't have to rush Reinhart or Donnovan.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The organizational replacement for Mark Katic?

In light of de Haan's injury for the year and the Visnovsky saga, have no problem seeing Martinek signed and the team chancing it with Finley and Hickey. Both of the latter two should at least help (considerably) at the AHL level and perhaps even on the Island.

In the fall of 2011 when the Kings were in Europe to start the season, I had a chance to talk with one of their executives (hint: a former GM). He pointed out that their franchise had a lot of defenseman they were high on and felt that Hickey had a lot of good traits and should have an NHL future somewhere, even if he were to ultimately get lost in the numbers game in the Kings' organization.

We'll now see if it's here, but I certainly don't think he's any worse or less developed at this juncture than guys like Katic, Ness or perhaps even de Haan. I feel pretty confident in saying that he's likely an organizational upgrade over Wishart and Landry.
No question an upgrade to 'dirty' Landry and Ty Wishart. The first thing I though of when I heard the Isles claimed Hickey was a replacement for de Haan (this season and next). This will allow de Haan not to be rushed back from his shoulder surgery and prove healthy in Bport for a season next year. Hckey has a lot of the same characteristics and traits de Haan does, but also Katic as well. Smart claim by Garth. Relieved I wont have to see Landry get beat like a rented mule on a nightly basis on the NHL level, it's bad enough I have to watch it multiple times a week in Bridgeport.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Strome18

For those complaining about his size, please.
He is between 5'10" - 6' 0" between 180 - 195 lbs.
Look at VIS, he was not 6' 4", was he? About the same exact size.

He is a younger, albeit, very inexperienced, borderline NHL talent.

Not comparing VIS with this kid but at least he is not 36 and a *****.

Give the kid a shot and wait on Mr. ***** to see what he does.

Good recycled pickups by the Isles with Hickey and Finley (Law Firm?).

Last edited by PWJunior: 01-15-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Profanity circumvention
Strome18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:02 PM
steveat

Was Wishart successfully waived? What I mean is..is he back in BP or was he picked up by another team.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Was Wishart successfully waived? What I mean is..is he back in BP or was he picked up by another team.
He cleared and most likely will be sent back down after camp.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
InformTheMasses

Wishart Already got sent down. He is on Loan to Bridgeport at this time. So he will be playing for the Sound Tigers tomorrow night in the scrimmage.

Camp: Streit, Hamonic, McDonald, Martinek, Hickey, Carkner, Finley, Landry

Sound Tigers: Donovan, Wishart, Ness, McIver, Hill, Jackson, Cantin.

Landry heads back down to Brideport on Friday. (Id say 'where he belongs' but honestly I think he belongs back in the ECHL)

And then when Viz comes overseas, a decision is made.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
I don't know why but i just have this feeling the Isles will pick up Gomez once he's bought out. We need a.#2 C and i have a feeling Snow grabs him. Lines of:

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Gomez-Boyes
Bailey-Nielsen-Ullstrom
Martin-Cizikas/Reasoner-Boulton/Joensuu

Not saying at all Gomez is our answer for the #2C, but i just have a strange feeling we sign Gomez. Who knows, maybe a change in scenery is good?
Not only do you want to sign Gomez, but you want to slot him in as our 2C? Have you seen him play lately? I'm assuming you are trying to catch lightning in a bottle again, ala Moulson/Grabner/Nabokov/hopefully Hickey; but IMO a move like that will do nothing but guarantee us a shot at Jones/MacKinnon(which I guess might not be a bad thing in the long run.... actually... SIGN ME UP FOR GOMEZ!!!).

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Maybe this is what we should do with our prospects:

1. Draft them
2. Let another organization develop them properly
3. Pick them up through the wire

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:11 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Not only do you want to sign Gomez, but you want to slot him in as our 2C? Have you seen him play lately? I'm assuming you are trying to catch lightning in a bottle again, ala Moulson/Grabner/Nabokov/hopefully Hickey; but IMO a move like that will do nothing but guarantee us a shot at Jones/MacKinnon(which I guess might not be a bad thing in the long run.... actually... SIGN ME UP FOR GOMEZ!!!).
You're mistaken, i do not want Snow to pick up Gomez. I'm just saying if Garth has no luck on the trade front trying to acquire a #2c and he sees Gomez can be had for cheap he'll say why not? A la Finley and Hickey signings as of late; it's a low risk high reward move imo. If he regroups on a team like us with much less media hype than MTL and catches fire great, if he fails yo perform can his ass. It's only a.48 game season as well, wouldn't be the worst idea. Ideally I'd much rather a better player, but he could turn into Grabner 2.0

NYI365 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Maybe this is what we should do with our prospects:

1. Draft them
2. Let another organization develop them properly
3. Pick them up through the wire
But if they're developed properly they won't be on waivers

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Perfect transaction for a guy like Snow. This is all he does. It is seriously amazing that our GM does not know how to make a legitimate trade.

This guy is what he is, and he's not going to help this team do **** on the ice when the Stanley Cup champs didn't even think he was worth a lick.

If he's anything more than a Jack Hillen clone I'll eat my socks.

Maybe our GM can pull up his big boy pants and make a trade for an NHL defenseman?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Isles Junkie

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...nt/#more-38379

SCOTT PELLERIN ON THOMAS HICKEY
One guy who knows a thing or two about the Kings farm system is Sound Tigers head coach Scott Pellerin. Pellerin spent six years in Manchester as a Monarchs assistant coach. Three of those years were spent coaching Hickey. CT Post’s Mike Fornabaio has the coach’s thoughts:

“He’s really strong positionally,” said Scott Pellerin, assistant at Manchester for Hickey’s first three pro seasons. “He’s got really good hockey sense. He moves the puck well, the first pass. He just brings — I wouldn’t say he’s overly offensive, but he’s the kind of guy who can play all situations.”
Pellerin said he’s a good guy, does good work in the community, a leader. That reminded me that the Monarchs put a letter on him in his second pro season.

“He somebody who’s got very good hockey IQ,” Pellerin said. “He picks things up, what other teams are doing, from the bench. He has those communication skills with his teammates. We relied on him to be a leader on the team.”

Old
01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Perfect transaction for a guy like Snow. This is all he does. It is seriously amazing that our GM does not know how to make a legitimate trade.

This guy is what he is, and he's not going to help this team do **** on the ice when the Stanley Cup champs didn't even think he was worth a lick.

If he's anything more than a Jack Hillen clone I'll eat my socks.

Maybe our GM can pull up his big boy pants and make a trade for an NHL defenseman?
in the last 3 years he has traded for wiz and vis to be that dman to play with streit, just happens that neither of them worked out

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:39 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...nt/#more-38379

SCOTT PELLERIN ON THOMAS HICKEY
One guy who knows a thing or two about the Kings farm system is Sound Tigers head coach Scott Pellerin. Pellerin spent six years in Manchester as a Monarchs assistant coach. Three of those years were spent coaching Hickey. CT Post’s Mike Fornabaio has the coach’s thoughts:

“He’s really strong positionally,” said Scott Pellerin, assistant at Manchester for Hickey’s first three pro seasons. “He’s got really good hockey sense. He moves the puck well, the first pass. He just brings — I wouldn’t say he’s overly offensive, but he’s the kind of guy who can play all situations.”
Pellerin said he’s a good guy, does good work in the community, a leader. That reminded me that the Monarchs put a letter on him in his second pro season.

“He somebody who’s got very good hockey IQ,” Pellerin said. “He picks things up, what other teams are doing, from the bench. He has those communication skills with his teammates. We relied on him to be a leader on the team.”
Okay, it all sounds great, but why did the CBJ and EDM pass on this guy? If he's so good?

Or maybe the Islanders just see things differently from the rest of the league? Our position in the standings certainly dictate so, no?

Old
01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
in the last 3 years he has traded for wiz and vis to be that dman to play with streit, just happens that neither of them worked out
Wiz was a train wreck as a defenseman, so I still don't get why everyone had high hopes when Garth did a 3rd round special for the guy.

As for Vis, he's on the other side of 36 with a quality season having been almost two years ago.

Our expectations around here are literally rock bottom bad.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:42 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Wiz was a train wreck as a defenseman, so I still don't get why everyone had high hopes when Garth did a 3rd round special for the guy.

As for Vis, he's on the other side of 36 with a quality season having been almost two years ago.

Our expectations around here are literally rock bottom bad.
wiz was awful as a dman because he was put into the number one role when he should've been a number 4 but his offense would've been awesome if he was getting the right amount of minutes

Old
01-15-2013, 11:44 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
wiz was awful as a dman because he was put into the number one role when he should've been a number 4 but his offense would've been awesome if he was getting the right amount of minutes
You mean, the type of minutes where he was unable to play a 2 on 1 where he literally fell down and gave up in a game against Montreal where he had some of the lowest TOI out of our train wreck defense that game?

The guy sucked when we got him, and he sucks now. These things have a correlation, you know.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:46 PM
startainfection

Quote:
You mean, the type of minutes where he was unable to play a 2 on 1 where he literally fell down and gave up in a game against Montreal where he had some of the lowest TOI out of our train wreck defense that game?

The guy sucked when we got him, and he sucks now. These things have a correlation, you know.
he still sucks because he has been the number one dman in columbus as well

and i am far from a wiz fan and i hated how awful he was defensively but don't act like snow has done absolutely nothing

i also think th whole never skating backwards or putting in an effort has to do with not wanting to be here in the first place

Old
01-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Okay, it all sounds great, but why did the CBJ and EDM pass on this guy? If he's so good?

Or maybe the Islanders just see things differently from the rest of the league? Our position in the standings certainly dictate so, no?
I don't know, go ask their fans why they didn't pick up Thomas Hickey.

Basically what you're saying is that any player who isn't picked up 1st or 2nd on the waiver wire, can't possibly be a useful player. That's just a ridiculous premise.

As for how lousy Snow is. yeah we know, we've heard it, everything that can possibly be said has been said. He's the GM forever. deal with it.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

Why did they pass on Grabner? No one really knows, but most likely is that they had depth enough where the roster spot wasn't worth the risk.

Not saying Grabner is great, but he is certainly an NHL quality player, and that's all we're hoping Hickey can be. Just being NHL quality would make this a worthwhile pickup.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:

Why did Ottawa pass on Pronger if hes so goid? Why did teams pass on Grabner? Why did no one sign Moulson? Why did no one sign PAP?

Cute argument.

Hipster Doofus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Hipster Doofus

Also its the Oilers and Jackets.

Hipster Doofus is online now   Reply With Quote