HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings

Old
01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Wow didnít even realize that Domi was at 23.. hahahha If the leafs get him with a 2nd i'd be absolutely ecstatic
His draft stock has been relativly low. I heard it's because teams are afraid of his diabetes.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Hawks Offseason WOAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
His draft stock has been relativly low. I heard it's because teams are afraid of his diabetes.
he also has celiac disease.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
and he's short. Just sayin.

you take away those three things and he jumps ten spots.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The issue with him playing for Finland is that I'm pretty positive he's played all his hockey in the US. The IIHF eligibility rules would require that he live and play in Finland for two consecutive years before becoming eligible to play for them in an IIHF tournament. Even if he moved there today he'd never be eligible for a Finnish junior team in an IIHF tournament as he wouldn't qualify until after the 2015 World Juniors were already over.

It's not impossible that he could play for Finland in the future but at this point it looks improbable.
I thought they toasted those rules?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Does anyone have any knowledge about Teemu Kivihalme, a finnish defenseman playing highschool hockey in Minnesota? I was surprised to see him ranked 75th, he's ahead of some pretty big names.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=141072
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_pl...ubseason=79765

According to the Minnesota based site he's 6'1, 170 lbs.
Yeah, his dad is the coach at the high school he goes to.

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I thought they toasted those rules?
No. If anything they reinforced them by adding the caveat that only time accrued after a player's 12th birthday counts towards a player's eligibility. I suppose they'll still take things on a case by case basis but if they enforce their rules the way they're written a player like Kivihalme should only be eligible for the US at this point.

cagney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
No. If anything they reinforced them by adding the caveat that only time accrued after a player's 12th birthday counts towards a player's eligibility. I suppose they'll still take things on a case by case basis but if they enforce their rules the way they're written a player like Kivihalme should only be eligible for the US at this point.
So how did Galchenyuk and Matteau play for us?

Old
01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
So how did Galchenyuk and Matteau play for us?
I can't say for sure but I could offer guesses...

Matteau tried to play for the US at the U18's and was denied based on the fact he had not played in the US for two consecutive years after the age of 13. However, that age limit was not stated anywhere within the IIHF Statues and Bylaws at the time he applied to play. Furthermore, it wasn't clear if the two year requirement meant two seasons or two calender years, the former of which would have arguably been covered by his time with the NTDP. Either of those could have been used as arguments in USA Hockey's appeal and the fact that the language used by the IIHF was changed to clarify indicates to me they probably came up. Thus an exception would be made for Matteau that is now likely closed for future use.

Galchenyuk's case is less clear. I'd imagine surrendering his Russian citizenship probably played into it though that issue seems to be covered by the IIHF's rules now. It's also possible he has some record of hockey registration from a very young age while he lived in the US, though that seems less likely. It's much less clear to me than the Matteau situation though and I'd guess we'll never know for sure.

Assuming the IIHF enforces their rules as written from now on it seems unlikely players will be granted such exceptions. Here are the relevent sections if you'd like to read them yourself...

Quote:
1.6 When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered another citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF championship and/or an Olympic competition representing his country of choice he must:
a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12th birthday in the
national competitions of and be a legal resident in his new country during which period he has neither transferred to another
country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country; and
b) have an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least two years (730 days) before the start of the
championship in which he wishes to participate.

1.7 When a player has multiple citizenships where the relevant citizenships are for countries of Member National Associations and he has never represented any country in any IIHF championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for the country of his choice he must
a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12th birthday in the
national competitions of and be a legal resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which period he has neither
transferred to another country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country; and
b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was
approved by the IIHF and dated at least two years (730 days) prior to his proposed participation.

cagney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Always take these lists with a grain of salt, ALWAYS!!!!
Lot more reliable than the ones by HFBoards posters...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I can't say for sure but I could offer guesses...

Matteau tried to play for the US at the U18's and was denied based on the fact he had not played in the US for two consecutive years after the age of 13. However, that age limit was not stated anywhere within the IIHF Statues and Bylaws at the time he applied to play. Furthermore, it wasn't clear if the two year requirement meant two seasons or two calender years, the former of which would have arguably been covered by his time with the NTDP. Either of those could have been used as arguments in USA Hockey's appeal and the fact that the language used by the IIHF was changed to clarify indicates to me they probably came up. Thus an exception would be made for Matteau that is now likely closed for future use.

Galchenyuk's case is less clear. I'd imagine surrendering his Russian citizenship probably played into it though that issue seems to be covered by the IIHF's rules now. It's also possible he has some record of hockey registration from a very young age while he lived in the US, though that seems less likely. It's much less clear to me than the Matteau situation though and I'd guess we'll never know for sure.

Assuming the IIHF enforces their rules as written from now on it seems unlikely players will be granted such exceptions. Here are the relevent sections if you'd like to read them yourself...
I suppose dropping the Russian passport could do it, thereby making him no longer a dual citizen. Otherwise reading the rules you have to conclude that they count the CHL as a US league. That, or they are just making crap up.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
JL17

If the reason Domi is low is because of being a diabetic those people should be smacked.

He's lived with it for the majority of his life... didn't get it yesterday. He knows it inside out and upside down. Knows what he has to do and does it very well from what I've been told. I've had chats with someone that knows him and he's on top of everything.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
leafobserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
Dominik Kahun and Frederik Tiffels not on the list is ridiculous. Cammarata also should be included.
Zadorov at #30 , Martin at #5G is a complete joke
Very surprised that Kahun isn't listed!
5 other Wolves on the list, and he's put up more points than them, shown great vision, and played with a lot of energy. Not to mention a solid showing for GER in the WJHC. He has his limitations (size), but as a player that's only been in NA for 6 months I find it hard to believe he has less potential that the 200 others on the list. My guess is that his he simply hasn't been observed 'in the flesh' as often.

Last edited by leafobserver: 01-16-2013 at 08:42 PM.
leafobserver is offline   Reply With Quote