2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

vCash: 500
2013 NHL Entry Draft

In light of the January rankings I decided a discussion should be had regarding the upcoming (and apparently ridiculously deep) NHL entry draft.

Should we finish in the same position as last season, we could technically be drafting a guy like Hunter Shinkaruk or Ryan Pulock.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:08 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
If we get Shinkaruk at 13/14 that will be a huge steal he reminds me of a slightly smaller Glencross.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:08 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
If the Flames are out of the playoffs, I pray to BasedGod they win the lottery.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
This is a very deep draft. I really hope (and think) that Jay Feaster will replace our 2nd round pick. It sucks that we only pick 2 times in the top 90...

If we don't make the playoffs (hope we do!) hopefully Jay Feaster will sell off players for picks. It would be great to acquire a couple 2 - 3round picks!

Old
01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
In light of the January rankings I decided a discussion should be had regarding the upcoming (and apparently ridiculously deep) NHL entry draft.

Should we finish in the same position as last season, we could technically be drafting a guy like Hunter Shinkaruk or Ryan Pulock.
If we ended up with Ryan Pulock I would be jumping for joy. I really like his game, looks like a future captain and #1D. Only guy I see us having a chance at, and wanting more is Monahan.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Body Checker

I read somewhere where a scout said teams should load up on 2nd/3rd round picks because of the depth of this draft.

Even if we are playoff contending I wouldn't mind Feaster moving someone like Comeau/Sarich/Stempniak/Stajan to get another pick in the top 90.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I read somewhere where a scout said teams should load up on 2nd/3rd round picks because of the depth of this draft.

Even if we are playoff contending I wouldn't mind Feaster moving someone like Comeau/Sarich/Stempniak/Stajan to get another pick in the top 90.
The thing is, in a draft like this every non-playoff team will have the same idea, and every playoff team will know how valuable those picks are.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If we get Shinkaruk at 13/14 that will be a huge steal he reminds me of a slightly smaller Glencross.
Hopefully a significantly better Glencross if he's a steal in the mid teens.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I want Monahan bad! If I were Feaster I would do almost anything to trade up and get him if we are to far out. Including offering up our first and Gaudreau.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Hopefully a significantly better Glencross if he's a steal in the mid teens.
I don't know a top pker 20+ goal scorer, those are the guys you win with not every one is a ppg player, I think a 14th overall pick shouldn't be expected to be a ppg player they rarely happen.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I want Monahan bad! If I were Feaster I would do almost anything to trade up and get him if we are to far out. Including offering up our first and Gaudreau.
**** that. I would rather move Cammy or Tangs to get the pick JG is something special.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
**** that. I would rather move Cammy or Tangs to get the pick JG is something special.
Depending on what teams needs are, sure! Throw Jbo in there to. I love JG, but the fact is Monahan is basically a sure deal to be a stud and can play next year. JG will have way more adversity to make it will likely be a special player if he does.

I'd move JG for Monahan, but it wouldn't be my first option.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Depending on what teams needs are, sure! Throw Jbo in there to. I love JG, but the fact is Monahan is basically a sure deal to be a stud and can play next year. JG will have way more adversity to make it will likely be a special player if he does.

I'd move JG for Monahan, but it wouldn't be my first option.
No player is ever basically a sure deal that's why we have seen some huge busts before. I know JG has a long road ahead but as someone who watches every game I can of his, I can say the WJ were a disappointment he didn't play that well and he still lead the team in goals. He is one of the smartest players I have ever seen. I would not trade JG at this point because of his growth in the short period of time he has been Flames property.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
nogger
Missed the Net AINEC

Efven if we draft 14-30th there are still some solid players out there. I'd rather not give up any assets we have now until we have 'too many' which may still be a few years.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
tfong

Trade up for Barkov!

Old
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
No player is ever basically a sure deal that's why we have seen some huge busts before. I know JG has a long road ahead but as someone who watches every game I can of his, I can say the WJ were a disappointment he didn't play that well and he still lead the team in goals. He is one of the smartest players I have ever seen. I would not trade JG at this point because of his growth in the short period of time he has been Flames property.
Yeah, obviously I don't wanna trade JG at all. I'd say Monahan is the equivalent to Landeskog in terms of being NHL ready next season and has very similar upside to Toews. I want this kid on the Flames in the worst way possible and what I meant is that I'd be prepared to do almost anything to get him.

Trading JG would be at the bottom of my list but if it came down to it I'd make that swap because I believe Monahan is that franchise guy.

But I agree with your assessment of him, he is a special player and it would no doubt be a significant loss to the Flames.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Yeah, obviously I don't wanna trade JG at all. I'd say Monahan is the equivalent to Landeskog in terms of being NHL ready next season and has very similar upside to Toews. I want this kid on the Flames in the worst way possible and what I meant is that I'd be prepared to do almost anything to get him.

Trading JG would be at the bottom of my list but if it came down to it I'd make that swap because I believe Monahan is that franchise guy.

But I agree with your assessment of him, he is a special player and it would no doubt be a significant loss to the Flames.
Absolutely. I want the Flames in the Playoffs, which means no Monahan, but if they don't make it I'd do anything to see him wearing a Flames sweater.

Erne and Hartman are two guys I could see on the Flames radar. Feaster and Weisbrod love IQ and Compete... Both have it. They also love their Americans.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
It's a deep draft with lots of talent. I'll echo the sentiment that hopefully the Flames can pick up a couple of extra second rounders, or even an extra 1st rounder somehow.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

If we make the playoffs, great. If not, we better load up on picks as there are a TON of players I would love in the first and second rounds of this draft.

Obviously any of the top five of MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Monahan would be amazing, but there still guys like Shinkurak, Gauthier, Hartman, Lindholm, etc that are gonna be around that would be really nice additions as well. Hartman obviously being a later 1st or early 2nd of those extras listed.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:14 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

I like Monahan alot and don't disagree with your assessment of him but at this point unless we are getting Toews etc I would leave JG and Sven on the untouchable list and be building other prospects around them. I would rather move Iginla at the deadline then either JG or Sven.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

vCash: 136
The NHL draft around HF is starting to become like American Idol - where "this year is the best year ever".

The last two drafts have been "the deepest in a while" only to be considered just the opposite. I'd like to see a quote from a pro scout or even a wannabe pro scout (Craig Button) who claim that this draft will be worthy of such a proclamation.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
The NHL draft around HF is starting to become like American Idol - where "this year is the best year ever".

The last two drafts have been "the deepest in a while" only to be considered just the opposite. I'd like to see a quote from a pro scout or even a wannabe pro scout (Craig Button) who claim that this draft will be worthy of such a proclamation.
Deepest in terms of high end forwards to say the least.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:

At the 2012 draft it was being regarded as disappointing...and an underwhelming amount of high end prospects.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:

That was true for 2012, other way around for 2011 however. That draft was called weak about a year or two prior, but as the date got closer, it rather suddenly started being considered as quite strong.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
At the 2012 draft it was being regarded as disappointing...and an underwhelming amount of high end prospects.
That is the difference people acted like it was real deep until about a month before.

Closed Thread