HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
zbubble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I'd be shocked if all were gone, I'd fully expect 2 of them to be there. So many less teams need a QB at the moment than at this point last year or two years ago.
I think these teams ahead of us in the drafting order all could use a QB:

Chiefs
Jaguars
Eagles
Raiders
Cardinals
Jets

I really think a lot of those teams on that list that don't take a QB in rd. 1 are going to in rd. 2., plus some possible suprises with what's left of the 1st rd - either someone who on paper doesn't need a QB will take one, or you'll see some trades being made with teams looking to move up. You might very well be right, but I still think there's a risk that none of them will be there. In any event, I'd be shocked if they don't take Nassib at #8. Not saying he's worth it, just the writing on the wall is pretty clear to me.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:37 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post

Chiefs
Jaguars
Eagles
Raiders
Cardinals
Jets

I really think a lot of those teams on that list that don't take a QB in rd. 1 are going to in rd. 2., plus some possible suprises with what's left of the 1st rd - either someone who on paper doesn't need a QB will take one, or you'll see some trades being made with teams looking to move up. You might very well be right, but I still think there's a risk that none of them will be there. In any event, I'd be shocked if they don't take Nassib at #8. Not saying he's worth it, just the writing on the wall is pretty clear to me.
The Chiefs and the Cardinals are the only teams on that list guaranteed to take a QB at some point in my opinion. Gabbert, Foles and Pryor make it more likely that those teams bring in a veteran QB than draft another. The Jets will probably take a QB but it's no guarantee, they could go for a short term fix like Vick. Like you said, it's all speculation at this point. The picture will be clearer in a couple months once free agency and trades start taking place i.e. who gets Vick, Alex Smith, etc.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Right, it's certainly an option to consider. I think Milliner has a chance to be picked by us also from a straight BPA standpoint. This year's free agent crop of CB is light too; the best corners out there (unless I missed somebody) are Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, DRC and Sean Smith. On the other hand I don't see any linebackers out there at all that are semi-appealing. There's still 3 months until the draft so a lot will change between now and then. Hopefully it'll become clearer as time passes. Pettine will be watching a ton of film on our current CBs and maybe he'll see something he likes. I can't imagine he sees anything in Aaron Williams or Rogers but I thought Brooks showed some flashes. Whether the Bills will see him as a #2 or a slot guy is something I can't answer.
Tracy Porter <--- This is who I want

I still think Bills should go LB, QB, WR

Old
01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
such a blessing it is to have hockey back so I can forget about what a hot mess this franchise is... I will always support the Bills and be a huge fan but wow this team needs alot of help and even with a successful off-season I expect them to finish with a similar record as 2012.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
such a blessing it is to have hockey back so I can forget about what a hot mess this franchise is... I will always support the Bills and be a huge fan but wow this team needs alot of help and even with a successful off-season I expect them to finish with a similar record as 2012.
Really? I'm not a big Marrone fan but I think it's the exact opposite. I think theres a lot of talent and they need a little help(i.e. coaching changes, different schemes, etc) They have holes but they underachieved. Especially defensively. Gailey sabotaged Spiller. More Spiller touches could only be a good thing. You would think that DLine could be productive but when they rarely blitz they aren't utilizing the talents. They have things to work on but the AFC is on a down now. A WC spot for next year isn't unrealistic.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

New ST coach is the former Lions ST coach, Danny Crossman. His track record is mostly middle of the pack, although the Lions ST was awful in 2011.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:22 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Right, it's certainly an option to consider. I think Milliner has a chance to be picked by us also from a straight BPA standpoint. This year's free agent crop of CB is light too; the best corners out there (unless I missed somebody) are Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, DRC and Sean Smith. On the other hand I don't see any linebackers out there at all that are semi-appealing. There's still 3 months until the draft so a lot will change between now and then. Hopefully it'll become clearer as time passes. Pettine will be watching a ton of film on our current CBs and maybe he'll see something he likes. I can't imagine he sees anything in Aaron Williams or Rogers but I thought Brooks showed some flashes. Whether the Bills will see him as a #2 or a slot guy is something I can't answer.
Talib is a free agent as well. I'd like to see the bills make an attempt to sign him or Grimes. I think either one could take a lot of pressure off Gilmore and wouldn't make CB a pressing need come draft day. As it stands now they need another CB to play with Gilmore and a Milliner Gilmore combo would certainly be a lot better then anything we've had in a long time. So I could get behind the pick. I'd still prefer LB though, the free agent class of LB's really sucks this year and it's a massive need.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:47 PM
JPurp26

Learning football and started the following the Bills stronger in the last few years.
I agree with most that LB, WR, QB should be drafted and a new kicker is necessary.

I was wondering how people see the roster shaping next year.
We have some UFAS

Byrd, T Jackson, choice, levitre, Mckelvin, moore, merriman, rhinehart, thigpen, scott, johnson, martin, and macintyre.

Who do we think resigns and who is leaving?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Learning football and started the following the Bills stronger in the last few years.
I agree with most that LB, WR, QB should be drafted and a new kicker is necessary.

We have some UFAS

Byrd, T Jackson, choice, levitre, Mckelvin, moore, merriman, rhinehart, thigpen, scott, johnson, martin, and macintyre.

Byrd and Levitre are musts. I keep McKelvin too, he's improved as a cover guy (where while we need another starter opposite Gilmore, depth is hugely important) and of course he has returns covered.

I expect Moore to be resigned, the potential is there for sure. I'd keep Scott too for his versatility. The others...Rinehart is OK for depth, Martin is pretty "meh" especially if someone like Brooks can step in for his ST role, MacIntyre maybe but I think Dickerson can take his role (which isn't much to begin with). Choice, Tavaris Jackson, Thigpen, Merriman, and Spencer Johnson can all be let go.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:17 AM
SoFFacet

The first eight of my own Bills draft board at this moment:

1. DE/OLB Werner Florida State
2. LOT Joeckel Texas A&M
3. SILB Teo Notre Dame
4. CB Milliner Alabama
-------------------------------
5. DE/OLB Jordan Oregon
6. DE/OLB Moore Texas A&M
7. DE/OLB Mingo LSU
8. OG Warmack Alabama

We are guaranteed to have the opportunity to select at least one of these players. Players not listed above that I believe will be selected by other teams in the top-7: DE/OLB Jones Georgia, DT Lotulelei Utah, DT Hankins Ohio State. Unfortunately unless one more player not on my list is also selected (QB G Smith West Virginia, for example), there is a good chance we will miss the first four, which are the ones I really want. Still, worst case I'm drafting an excellent DE/OLB prospect, which is something we definitely need.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post

Chiefs
Jaguars
Eagles
Raiders
Cardinals
Jets

We pick before the Jets do.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I like KC's approach:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ce=twitterfeed

Thats how the draft should go. Early on anyway, unless you have a glaring need. But this draft class is soooooooooooooooo weak. They need a QB but none of them on paper look like franchise QBs

Old
01-15-2013, 08:52 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

We have some UFAS

The bold need to be resigned IMO. On the fence about Johnson. McKelvin is a great special teamer but not a fan of his defense. The rest are junk and should either be out of the league by now or backups.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Bills add 10 to coaching staff

There's a definite Syracuse offense and Jets defense flavor to the new staff.
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Bills-add...187012441.html
Quote:
ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW/Bills) The Buffalo Bills announced on Tuesday that 10 new coaches have been hired to Doug Marrone's staff. The new Bills Head Coach continues to bring familiar faces from Syracuse with him as he makes the transition to the NFL. Below is the list of coaches hired on Tuesday, along with a bio for each.

Eric Ciano
Head Strength and Conditioning

Donnie Henderson
Defensive Backs

Chuck Driesbach
Linebackers

Tyrone Wheatley
Running Backs

Jim O’Neil
Linebackers

Greg Adkins
Tight Ends

Anthony Weaver
Defensive Line

Brian Fleury
Defensive Quality Control

Samson Brown
Assistant Defensive Backs

Jason Rebrovich
Defensive Quality Control

Old
01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Half of the coaching staff is from Syracuse and the other half is from the Jets. Not getting very many warm fuzzies from that, most of them are super green.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:02 PM
missingmika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Half of the coaching staff is from Syracuse and the other half is from the Jets. Not getting very many warm fuzzies from that, most of them are super green.
Atleast the Bills were smart enough not to hire Alex Van Pelt as their running backs coach (unlike some franchises).

Old
01-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
You add that green and orange color together and you get a putrid mess, of course with 13yrs of failure the color will fit in quite well

Old
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
JPurp26

Give them a chance guys. I like young sometimes in coaches. It means hunger and drive.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Not all of these guys are green though.

Henderson, the DB coach, has coached in the NFL for 10 years, including D-coordinator for the Jets in 2004.

Driesbach has 36 years of experience in college, though this is his first stint in the NFL.

O'Neil spent the last 4 years working under Pettine.

Adkins has been coaching in college for over 15 years.

Of course, most of the others are green, but some of these guys do bring experience with them. It's not as if they grabbed guys off the street.

Hopefully they have the right mix, but time will tell.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Give them a chance guys. I like young sometimes in coaches. It means hunger and drive.
The whole "give them a chance" thing gets tiresome after a decade and a half.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I agree with Myllz.

It's not like either of these teams were really good. I like Pettine bringing in his defensive guys the most. Aside from that it's a blah right now.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Well whats the worst that can happen, the losing continues? The upside is very high with the staff that has been brought in. Its not the same old old boys who coached in the 80's and 90's so that in itself is an upgrade. I wouldn't read to much into the position coaches as they have little impact in game level decisions lol.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Well whats the worst that can happen, the losing continues? The upside is very high with the staff that has been brought in. Its not the same old old boys who coached in the 80's and 90's so that in itself is an upgrade. I wouldn't read to much into the position coaches as they have little impact in game level decisions lol.
And how about the offensive coordinator?

Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
And how about the offensive coordinator?
He obviously has a big say, but what about him makes him bad? because of unfamiliarity or his age? The fact that they didn't bring in some 60 year old has been who coached in the 90's is a positive step.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
He obviously has a big say, but what about him makes him bad? because of unfamiliarity or his age? The fact that they didn't bring in some 60 year old has been who coached in the 90's is a positive step.
I didn't say he was bad, all I said was that most of the coaching staff is massively green. You have an inexperienced head coach surrounding himself with an inexperienced staff. Yeah, things could all go to plan and everything works and the results end up good, but the alternative to that is more likely.

Closed Thread