HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Have the Rangers become a slow team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
  #1
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
Have the Rangers become a slow team?

I'm watching game 1 against Ottawa from last year. I don't remember the game being so slow. I remember back in 07, a worse team, played with amazing speed against the Thrashers. It was exciting to watch them. Seems like these Rangers like to slow the game down. I don't think it's much faster than a regular season game. So am I out to lunch or did the Rangers become the Knicks from the 90s? A team that purposely slows down the game as a defensive strategy?

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
  #2
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm watching game 1 against Ottawa from last year. I don't remember the game being so slow. I remember back in 07, a worse team, played with amazing speed against the Thrashers. It was exciting to watch them. Seems like these Rangers like to slow the game down. I don't think it's much faster than a regular season game. So am I out to lunch or did the Rangers become the Knicks from the 90s? A team that purposely slows down the game as a defensive strategy?
you posed and question, restated the question with elaboration and then answered it yourself

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
  #3
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,880
vCash: 3133
They played so defensively because they lacked offensive skill.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
  #4
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Nonsense, if you've been here long enough, you'd know that a Tom Renney team was incapable of anything you're describing from 2007.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:27 PM
  #5
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Team isn't slow, we just play a defensive game.

Gaborik, Kreider, Hagelin, Nash, Richards, Callahan is definitely NOT slow.

__________________
Jaime Lannister has better hands than Brian Boyle.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
  #6
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,314
vCash: 500
It'll be interesting to see how the balance works out to be this year.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:32 PM
  #7
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Team isn't slow, we just play a defensive game.

Gaborik, Kreider, Hagelin, Nash, Richards, Callahan is definitely NOT slow.
Callahan is clearly a bad skater. Should not be in that list.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:35 PM
  #8
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,314
vCash: 500
Macro wise, we're defensively "slow"
micro wise, we're definitely able to overrun teams with speedy forwards.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
  #9
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
6 goalie system.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
  #10
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,098
vCash: 500
Their breakout method doesn't always lend itself to quick rushes up the ice. It's something I wish Torts would find a way to change.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
  #11
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
MOD.

Anyway, did we really have that much more offensive firepower in 07? We had a good top line but after that not much. Plus the secondary scoring we had was a 40 year old Shanny.


Last edited by Jabroni: 01-15-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Off topic
SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:44 PM
  #12
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Their breakout method doesn't always lend itself to quick rushes up the ice. It's something I wish Torts would find a way to change.
Why was their breakout method better in 07? I also don't think it was all rushes. They seemed to cycle at a much faster too.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
  #13
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Why was their breakout method better in 07? I also don't think it was all rushes. They seemed to cycle at a much faster too.
I don't know, I don't remember, I just notice now that their breakout is slow and often not very smooth. Might have been that way back in 07 too


As I remember the Jagr teams were also basically Jagr's line kicking ass and the rest of the team was a bunch of high energy grinders that I assume would probably also cycle quickly because their one claim to fame was to work hard

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
  #14
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't know, I don't remember, I just notice now that their breakout is slow and often not very smooth. Might have been that way back in 07 too


As I remember the Jagr teams were also basically Jagr's line kicking ass and the rest of the team was a bunch of high energy grinders that I assume would probably also cycle quickly because their one claim to fame was to work hard
If I remember correctly the Jagr line was fast too. I know they were skilled, but none of the 3 were spring chickens.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
  #15
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
You're mistaking tempo control with team speed.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
  #16
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You're mistaking tempo control with team speed.
You're right. And I did mention tempo control, hence the Knicks analogy. Perhaps I should have asked, do the Rangers play slowly? The 07 team was not more talented than the Rangers last year, sand Jagr. I hope we open it up a little bit this year.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
  #17
Tawnos
Moderator
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You're right. And I did mention tempo control, hence the Knicks analogy. Perhaps I should have asked, do the Rangers play slowly? The 07 team was not more talented than the Rangers last year, sand Jagr. I hope we open it up a little bit this year.
I still don't think you get what tempo control is. Sometimes the Rangers slow it down. Sometimes they speed it up. And sometimes those states will last a full game. The Tom Renney teams did the same thing.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
  #18
Cresto
Much .500
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You're mistaking tempo control with team speed.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:08 PM
  #19
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,060
vCash: 500
I think that was definitely part of the strategy against Ottawa, partially because the team was worn out (was Gaborik hurt by then? can't remember) and partially because I don't think it would have been wise to go toe to toe with Ottawa in a track-meet type game. Karlsson is a beast on his skates - slowing the game down was probably to some extent a strategy to keep him from playing the game that he's most comfortable with.

I hope NYR plays a more open style now that they've got some extra firepower though.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:13 PM
  #20
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Team isn't slow, we just play a defensive game.

Gaborik, Kreider, Hagelin, Nash, Richards, Callahan is definitely NOT slow.
Gotta add McDonagh to that list. Very powerful skater.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
  #21
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I think that was definitely part of the strategy against Ottawa, partially because the team was worn out (was Gaborik hurt by then? can't remember) and partially because I don't think it would have been wise to go toe to toe with Ottawa in a track-meet type game. Karlsson is a beast on his skates - slowing the game down was probably to some extent a strategy to keep him from playing the game that he's most comfortable with.

I hope NYR plays a more open style now that they've got some extra firepower though.
I guess that makes sense. It would be nice to open it up more. However, I do remember that after giving up a ******** of goals to start 06-07, Renney went from a wide open style to a more defensive style. That said, Hank was a young player then, he has improved. Our D improved too.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
  #22
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Team isn't slow, we just play a defensive game.

Gaborik, Kreider, Hagelin, Nash, Richards, Callahan is definitely NOT slow.
Not many people at all would mistake Richards for a fast skater.

Besides, thats not what this thread is about, its about style of play. This team, for years now, hasnt been one that favors speed on the rush. They've played for of a dump and chase game. Maybe that changes this year with more talent.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
  #23
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Gotta add McDonagh to that list. Very powerful skater.
A very underrated aspect of McDonagh's game. The guy is incredibly fast and accelerates with such ease.

Alphaphaget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:31 PM
  #24
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
A very underrated aspect of McDonagh's game. The guy is incredibly fast and accelerates with such ease.
Really? I think his skating is the best asset of his game? Amongst defenders, the only skaters that I could think of that are as smooth or more smooth would be Doughty and Karlsson. OEL is close.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
  #25
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem
 
Alphaphaget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Really? I think his skating is the best asset of his game? Amongst defenders, the only skaters that I could think of that are as smooth or more smooth would be Doughty and Karlsson. OEL is close.
Go to the main boards and start a thread regarding the best skating defensemen. If McDonagh is mentioned, I'm willing to bet it's only by Rangers fans. His skating is incredible, he doesn't get nearly enough credit for it.

Alphaphaget is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.