Did I call another move? Hm.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
The interesting part here is GMJN basically said Dillon and Benn are here to stay so that auto makes 7. The only other thing I can think of I this point is perhaps Joe is working on a trade? Robi? Idk. I don't see why they would pull Oleksiak from games just so they can watch him an extra day before sending him back.
When did he say that? Honestly I still thought I remember them including Oleksiak in the conversation after the Fistric trade. I don't recall them guaranteeing Benn or Dillon a spot.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I've heard them mention Dillon as being 'in the plans' for this season. Never have heard them say that about Benn.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
BigG44

Regarding Robi trade, I'd be stunned at this point. There's honestly no way another D is leaving without one coming back. You'd have to pretty much guarantee it was a player that was close to NHL ready who could serve as a fill in at the NHL level in a pinch.

Or you'd have to be confident one of the FA D would take a 1 year deal with Dallas.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:30 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
When did he say that? Honestly I still thought I remember them including Oleksiak in the conversation after the Fistric trade. I don't recall them guaranteeing Benn or Dillon a spot.
Mark's article over Benn and Dillon. I wouldn't think he'd tie Nieuwy's comments to Benn as well if he wasn't talking about him.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Regarding Robi trade, I'd be stunned at this point. There's honestly no way another D is leaving without one coming back. You'd have to pretty much guarantee it was a player that was close to NHL ready who could serve as a fill in at the NHL level in a pinch.

Or you'd have to be confident one of the FA D would take a 1 year deal with Dallas.
I on't think they trade Robi. Front office has a huge boner for him, and the coaches trust him too much.

If they did though? Redden.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:31 PM
BigG44

FYI ... as soon as Dallas sends Faksa and Ritchie back to the OHL, they are down to 14 forwards, 8 D, and 3 goalies.

2 players need send down by Friday, and some have indicated Dallas is entertaining sticking with 3 goalies through the early 7 games in 11 days stretch.

My guess is Roussel is a lock to go back. I just can't believe they feel comfortable putting Sceviour on waivers or it would already be done. That leaves Benn or Oleksiak going down as well.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

I saw the Oleksiak mention you talked about, but Joe put twice as much emphasis on Benn.

Edit: But hey, I'm all for Oleksiak>>>>>>>

Old
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

With as well as Oleksiak has been doing, it just can't be him going down. He's totally ready to step up and dominate.

Benn? Man that would just blow. Serious blow to the D if that happens.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I on't think they trade Robi. Front office has a huge boner for him, and the coaches trust him too much.

If they did though? Redden.
I'm all for getting a decent deal for Robidas. Can you sell me on Redden? When I think about that possibility," I automatically think of why not ___ ?"(fill in the blank with whatever promising prospect).

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Mark's article over Benn and Dillon. I wouldn't think he'd tie Nieuwy's comments to Benn as well if he wasn't talking about him.
Reading that again ... GMJN is vague and says young guys. Mark makes the natural connection that we all did with the fact that 2 spots are open and only 7 D are on the roster. The natural assumption with a short camp would obviously be if you only have 7 D on a roster right now, days before the opener, there's a damn good chance those are your 7.

Oleksiak getting called up makes it an entirely different ball game, IMO.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I saw the Oleksiak mention you talked about, but Joe put twice as much emphasis on Benn.

Edit: But hey, I'm all for Oleksiak>>>>>>>
Would you mind posting the quote ... I guess I'm overlooking what you are referring too.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Reading that again ... GMJN is vague and says young guys. Mark makes the natural connection that we all did with the fact that 2 spots are open and only 7 D are on the roster. The natural assumption with a short camp would obviously be if you only have 7 D on a roster right now, days before the opener, there's a damn good chance those are your 7.

Oleksiak getting called up makes it an entirely different ball game, IMO.
This makes me all giddy for tomorrow.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:38 PM
TrillMike

I'm really stoked about Oleksiak, but was anyone else like me in thinking he'd be a call up?

Old
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Would you mind posting the quote ... I guess I'm overlooking what you are referring too.
Quote:
“As you know, these are never easy decisions, but I feel comfortable where are kids are at and it’s not just the two (Jordie Benn and Brenden Dillon) we have here in camp. I think there’s (Jamie) Oleksiak and (Patrik) Nemeth, too. That factors into it. These two (Benn and Dillon) in particular have been playing 22-24 minutes a night, are in game shape and ready to go. You always try to analyze when the best time is to transition your kids in, and I think this is a real good time because the league has been shut down and these kids have been playing. That factored into it. And the fact that we have Aaron Rome now, who plays a similar brash style.”
BOLD 1: A simple mention.

BOLD 2: A stronger emphasis.

That's how I read it.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I'm all for getting a decent deal for Robidas. Can you sell me on Redden? When I think about that possibility," I automatically think of why not ___ ?"(fill in the blank with whatever promising prospect).
Redden is big ass presence on the blue line. He'd be a great 7th D to have that would do everything in his power to work back into the top 6. Has a bomb from the point. Nice, crisp passes. Great voice on the bench.

He's just a really solid player. No clue why it never worked in NY, but some markets just aren't for certain players. Plus he was never worth what that contract valued him at. When you're in a big market team with a contract like that, you're destined to fail just because of the pressure the fans put on you.

Bringing Redden in would allow us to get rid of Robidas finally. Get bigger in the back, and it would add just one more booming shot to the point.

For more than $1.5m a season though? Hell no. He's got to prove he's still got it again.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
BigG44

Are you talking this quote:

Quote:
“As you know, these are never easy decisions, but I feel comfortable where are kids are at and it’s not just the two (Jordie Benn and Brenden Dillon) we have here in camp. I think there’s (Jamie) Oleksiak and (Patrik) Nemeth, too. That factors into it. These two (Benn and Dillon) in particular have been playing 22-24 minutes a night, are in game shape and ready to go. You always try to analyze when the best time is to transition your kids in, and I think this is a real good time because the league has been shut down and these kids have been playing. That factored into it. And the fact that we have Aaron Rome now, who plays a similar brash style.”
I don't think that points specifically to anyone. In fact he says this is not just an opportunity for the two in camp (Dillon and Benn).

I think I see the part you are talking about though saying that Benn and Dillon are especially ready because of the minutes they play. Benn for sure could be ready in his eyes, but so can Oleksiak. I can't imagine any other reasonable reason to call him up on a Texas game day.

I guess my point is I don't want to try and analyze each little word like I just did. The overall tone of that quote is Joe feels he has multiple players he can use with only 2 spots to fill. I don't think he indicated a preference over one player in that quote.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
BOLD 1: A simple mention.

BOLD 2: A stronger emphasis.

That's how I read it.
I read that as "Benn is in game shape" Nothing else. Hope nothing else either.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:43 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Redden is big ass presence on the blue line. He'd be a great 7th D to have that would do everything in his power to work back into the top 6. Has a bomb from the point. Nice, crisp passes. Great voice on the bench.

He's just a really solid player. No clue why it never worked in NY, but some markets just aren't for certain players. Plus he was never worth what that contract valued him at. When you're in a big market team with a contract like that, you're destined to fail just because of the pressure the fans put on you.

Bringing Redden in would allow us to get rid of Robidas finally. Get bigger in the back, and it would add just one more booming shot to the point.

For more than $1.5m a season though? Hell no. He's got to prove he's still got it again.
Thanks. The whole cap thing is the issue I guess.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I think you guys are reading into what Gully and GMJN say way to much. lol

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Yep, pretty much.

This video is a perfect example of why you take a chance on Redden. You don't just lose a shot like that.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Are you talking this quote:

I don't think that points specifically to anyone. In fact he says this is not just an opportunity for the two in camp (Dillon and Benn).

I think I see the part you are talking about though saying that Benn and Dillon are especially ready because of the minutes they play. Benn for sure could be ready in his eyes, but so can Oleksiak. I can't imagine any other reasonable reason to call him up on a Texas game day.

I guess my point is I don't want to try and analyze each little word like I just did. The overall tone of that quote is Joe feels he has multiple players he can use with only 2 spots to fill. I don't think he indicated a preference over one player in that quote.
It's the "these too in particular" that snagged me. But we'll see tomorrow. At least we can pretty much guess that it'll either be Benn or Oleksiak. Hoping for the latter.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I think Cin might be a bit too glowing in his review. Several media reported he regressed a bit even in the AHL including Corey Pronman (a talent evaluator I respect).

I personally think it's worth the risk because Redden was the guy Cin described, and I think the constant realization that you'll never get bought out or a shot at the NHL again can weigh on a guy.

Up until a month ago, there was no indication amnesty buyouts were going to happen. Until that point, Redden had no hope. You're potentially getting a revitalized guy with new hope.

It's honestly a close to zero risk investment.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Arkham32

I think Oleksiak staying with Dallas, makes moving fistric way more clearer then Benn taking the spot. Oleksiak is a improvement in every way possible over Fistric. It also forces Rome back to 7th where he should be an Benn to 8th where he should be to.

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
BigG44

Quote:
At least we can pretty much guess that it'll either be Benn or Oleksiak. Hoping for the latter.
Unless there is a trade it pretty much has to be.