HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 09:24 AM
  #201
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Aoki is better than both of Cowboy and Varner, or at least he's equal with Cowboy.
Based off of what? His ability submit tomato cans in Japan? Cowboy & Varner have both beaten top lightweights. Aoki has lost to every good complete fighter he's fought against.

DeathFromAbove is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
  #202
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Based off of what? His ability submit tomato cans in Japan? Cowboy & Varner have both beaten top lightweights. Aoki has lost to every good complete fighter he's fought against.
I would certainly take the current version of Cerrone to beat Aoki, but he is much improved since coming over from the WEC.

As for Varner, he's just such a flake and has some bad losses to his name too. You cant really fault someone for at least giving Aoki a solid chance in that bout. If they were fighting tomorrow I would favor Aoki.

m9 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
  #203
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Awesome fight. Really looking forward to it.

Gil's resume is better than Bendo's was coming into the UFC imo. Thomson's was definitely a top 20 LW the first time Gil beat him and might still be today. Kawajiri was top 20 if not top 10 the first Gil beat him and is probably still top 20 today. Aoki can be beaten easy enough but he's also a very dangerous fighter so I count that as a quality win too. He also has a win over Guida from years ago.

That being said, I expect Henderson to win the fight.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
  #204
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,370
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Based off of what? His ability submit tomato cans in Japan? Cowboy & Varner have both beaten top lightweights. Aoki has lost to every good complete fighter he's fought against.
...

He's beaten Eddie Alvarez before, so there goes the whole complete spiel.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
  #205
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,370
vCash: 1625
Gilbert Melendez Top 10 wins = 7
Stephen Palling (#5 MMA News, FW)
Hiroyuki Takaya (#9 ADCC MMA Ranking, FW)
Rumina Sato (#2 ADCC MMA Ranking, FW)
Tatsuya Kawajiri (#2 MMA Fighting, LW)
Josh Thomson (#7 MMA on Tap, LW)
Shinya Aoki (#2 Independent World MMA Rankings, LW)
Tatsuya Kawajiri (#7 Sherdog, LW)
Jorge Masvidal (#11 Fight Matrix)

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
  #206
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 645
Henderson/Melendez and Cormier/Mir now confirmed for UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose

Quote:
Two of the biggest names in Strikeforce history will make their move to the UFC on Saturday, April 20, with FOX airing both bouts live from San Jose.

In the main event, UFC lightweight boss "Smooth" Benson Henderson will defend his belt for the third time when he takes on Strikeforce's last 155-pound titlist, Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez, in a clash of champions the entire MMA world has been waiting for.

Plus, Daniel Cormier, the Strikeforce Grand Prix heavyweight tournament winner, will return to action quickly after his win over Dion Staring last Saturday to battle two-time heavyweight champ Frank Mir in a long-anticipated showdown.
http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-on-fox-7-fight-card-update

Still think Cormier should just go to LHW right away if the plan is for him to challenge Jones for the belt but this still is a good fight. I was looking forward to it when it was first announced for Strikeforce and it'll help Cormier build his name.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
  #207
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Wow. What is shaping up to be an awesome card and it's in SJ. Might have to go to that if tickets aren't astronomically expensive, which they will be.

CNS is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
  #208
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Wow. What is shaping up to be an awesome card and it's in SJ. Might have to go to that if tickets aren't astronomically expensive, which they will be.
If it's anything like the one in Seattle, which I'm sure it will be, ticket prices weren't bad at all.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
  #209
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If it's anything like the one in Seattle, which I'm sure it will be, ticket prices weren't bad at all.
Define "weren't bad at all". I'm in college so I don't necessarily have a ton of money to spend. I don't want nosebleed seats. For example, I go to Sharks/Kings games in SJ every year and tickets are usually around $100 for lower bowl, give or take a bit.

CNS is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
  #210
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Define "weren't bad at all". I'm in college so I don't necessarily have a ton of money to spend. I don't want nosebleed seats. For example, I go to Sharks/Kings games in SJ every year and tickets are usually around $100 for lower bowl, give or take a bit.
I paid $125 for tickets in the lower bowl one section off from dead center at Key Arena, not "astronomically bad" at all. For comparison I think I paid about the same for upper bowl tickets at the last Vancouver card, although we ended up getting comped better seats.

Typically the Fox cards have been cheaper than most PPV events, even though the Fox cards have been just as good, if not better than many PPV.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
  #211
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I paid $125 for tickets in the lower bowl one section off from dead center at Key Arena, not "astronomically bad" at all. For comparison I think I paid about the same for upper bowl tickets at the last Vancouver card, although we ended up getting comped better seats.

Typically the Fox cards have been cheaper than most PPV events, even though the Fox cards have been just as good, if not better than many PPV.
Awesome. If they're around that price, I might go. Just need someone to go with.

I remember I was going to go to one of Cain's fights in I think Anaheim because he was fighting down there right around my birthday in October but tickets were like $300 and it's a 6 hr drive down there, plus a hotel room. San Jose would be great. Hopefully there's one or two more really exciting fights. I'm greedy.

CNS is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
  #212
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Awesome. If they're around that price, I might go. Just need someone to go with.

I remember I was going to go to one of Cain's fights in I think Anaheim because he was fighting down there right around my birthday in October but tickets were like $300 and it's a 6 hr drive down there, plus a hotel room. San Jose would be great. Hopefully there's one or two more really exciting fights. I'm greedy.
I bought a scalped nosebleed single seat for $110 in Seattle on fight day (face value was $75 I think). Pretty steep.

I snuck down and sat in the 5th row of the lower bowl middle section though, so I think it was worth it.

kurt is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
  #213
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Still think Cormier should just go to LHW right away if the plan is for him to challenge Jones for the belt but this still is a good fight. I was looking forward to it when it was first announced for Strikeforce and it'll help Cormier build his name.
I would tend to agree, but I guess he/they view it as a fight to keep him active, and then should he win it (particularly in impressive fashion), then they probably wait until Cain beats Overeem before officially making the move to 205, cause if Cain lost then Cormier could easily be in line for the next title shot. Personally I'd like to see him fight Gus/Machida/Shogun at 205, but maybe we'll get to see it down the road. I'll tell you what I'd love to see. Silva and Weidman at 185. Say Silva wins. Silva and Cormier at 205. Winner gets Jones.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
  #214
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I would tend to agree, but I guess he/they view it as a fight to keep him active, and then should he win it (particularly in impressive fashion), then they probably wait until Cain beats Overeem before officially making the move to 205, cause if Cain lost then Cormier could easily be in line for the next title shot. Personally I'd like to see him fight Gus/Machida/Shogun at 205, but maybe we'll get to see it down the road. I'll tell you what I'd love to see. Silva and Weidman at 185. Say Silva wins. Silva and Cormier at 205. Winner gets Jones.
I agree with the keeping him active thing. DC is pretty old for a guy just coming in the UFC. Fighting gives him money and fighting Mir at HW means he has more time to cut weight in a healthy way.

CNS is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
  #215
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
...

He's beaten Eddie Alvarez before, so there goes the whole complete spiel.
Which Alvarez recently avenged and clowned Aoki in the process.

DeathFromAbove is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
  #216
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
UFC Unveils List of Strikeforce Fighters Coming to UFC

Quote:
HEAVYWEIGHT

Daniel Cormier (11-0 MMA, 8-0 SF)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 4-1-1 SF)
Gian Villante (10-3 MMA, 3-2 SF)

MIDDLEWEIGHT

Roger Gracie (6-1 MMA, 4-1 SF)
Tim Kennedy (15-4 MMA, 6-2 SF)
Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF)
Champ Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF)
Ronaldo Souza (17-3 MMA, 7-1 SF)

WELTERWEIGHT

Roger Bowling (11-3 MMA, 4-3 SF)
Jason High (16-3 MMA, 3-0 SF, 0-1 UFC)
Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 1-1 SF, 10-4 UFC)
Champ Tarec Saffiedine (14-3 MMA, 6-1 SF)
Bobby Voelker (24-8 MMA, 4-1 SF)

LIGHTWEIGHT

Ryan Couture (6-1 MMA, 6-1 SF)
Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 7-1 SF, 0-1 UFC)
Kurt Holobaugh (8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF)
Adriano Martins (24-6 MMA, 1-0 SF)
Champ Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF)
K.J. Noons (11-6 MMA, 3-4 SF)
Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-3 SF, 2-1 UFC)

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...keforce-to-ufc

Apparently this isn't the complete list. Wouldn't mind seeing Feijao and even Masvidal in the octagon this year.

I Am Beat You is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
  #217
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,709
vCash: 500
Dan Hardy/Matt Brown also added to that UFC on FOX 7 card. Should be a fun scrap.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 11:14 PM
  #218
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
Apparently this isn't the complete list. Wouldn't mind seeing Feijao and even Masvidal in the octagon this year.
Solid list for sure. I'd like to see Barnett added to it.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:24 AM
  #219
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Solid list for sure. I'd like to see Barnett added to it.
Ditto.

kurt is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 03:36 AM
  #220
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Solid list for sure. I'd like to see Barnett added to it.
He would probably have to take a pay cut..we'll see how that goes.

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
  #221
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
Barnett wouldn't be on the list anyway because his contract is up. Hopefully they work something out.

m9 is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
  #222
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
I have a hard time taking anything away from Gil/Punk III, besides Gil's win.

He had been thinking UFC for over a year & that fight was a joke to begin with, having nothing more to it than SFs lack of depth.

You are the champ & in all disussions for best in the world yet you are stuck toiling against guys you literally can gain nothing from.

Henderson will shut him down, UD.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
  #223
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He would probably have to take a pay cut..we'll see how that goes.
Apparently he made $260,000 for his win last week so he'll definitely need to take a pay cut. He probably won't even get half of that with the UFC and I read that Bellator already said they're not interested in Barnett. Unless he wants to do some pro wrestling stuff, there aren't many options for him.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 06:28 PM
  #224
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,370
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I have a hard time taking anything away from Gil/Punk III, besides Gil's win.

He had been thinking UFC for over a year & that fight was a joke to begin with, having nothing more to it than SFs lack of depth.

You are the champ & in all disussions for best in the world yet you are stuck toiling against guys you literally can gain nothing from.

Henderson will shut him down, UD.
Leaning that way as well. I think it'll be a close fight though.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 11:24 AM
  #225
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,899
vCash: 500
Gustaffsson and Mousasi in April in Sweden!

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.