HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

What are your expectations for this season......really?

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 11:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
yeah, on top of a playoff berth I would like to see a dramatic increase in PP % and much better goal differential. Goals should go up, goals against should go down.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Now, now... We need to manage our expectations.

01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

I really think the short season and lack of training camp hurts the WILD a lot. And I really do not expect much from the Wild. I think 7th or 8th place in the West is the best they will finish. Because of that they will face a powerhouse in the first round and be one and done. A record of 48/ 22-18-8 is probably realistic. I think people's expectations of Parise, Granlund, Suter and Heatly are just absurd/crazy. There will be lots of disappointed folks when Parise doesn't get 30 goals and Granlund doesn't put up 40 points. Also, no chance in hell that PMB stays healthy all season ....

Next season ..... now that's a different story. I expect a LOT more from the Wild next season.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

win on opening night...win on opening night...win on opening night...

Old
01-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You don't get the talent influx this team just had, and only be satisfied with "just making" the playoffs IMO.

With higher talent level SHOULD come higher expectations.
well let me add to that then.

I believe this team will make the playoffs as a 5-7 seed, meaning they will have a though match up in the 1st round. I expect them to be highly competitive in this match up. Im talking 6-7 game series with a few overtimes and other one goal games.

I expect that our offense finally gets off the bottom of the ground and climbs a few rungs in the offensive ladder.

I expect Granlund to prove to everyone here that he was worth the wait. I also expect that the depth of our forward group and call ups will help ensure a playoff spot. This should give us confidence going forward.

I expect that the state of our defense will be much clearer by the end of this season. (ie. how will suter play without weber, how will Scandy progress, will Spurgeron continuing defying the odds, how will Gilbert look over the course of a full...er abbreviated season, can one of falk or stoner finally step up, what will Brodin look like in the NHL, etc.)

Its hard to say with so many variables, other than that we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I really think the short season and lack of training camp hurts the WILD a lot. And I really do not expect much from the Wild. I think 7th or 8th place in the West is the best they will finish. Because of that they will face a powerhouse in the first round and be one and done. A record of 48/ 22-18-8 is probably realistic. I think people's expectations of Parise, Granlund, Suter and Heatly are just absurd/crazy. There will be lots of disappointed folks when Parise doesn't get 30 goals and Granlund doesn't put up 40 points. Also, no chance in hell that PMB stays healthy all season ....

Next season ..... now that's a different story. I expect a LOT more from the Wild next season.
Here we go again talking about fear of being disappointed...I refused to set low expectations in the offseason, I refuse to set them low now. I am just flat out analyzing that a roster with this talent level should have both some regular season success and some playoff success.

Thus the mid-seed and a playoff round victory.

I am not going to give excuses myself to "expect" anything less. These are professionals. The shortened season is their own damn fault.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
If Brodin is ready. 6-8th seed. If Brodin isn't ready. 8th-11th.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
You don't get the talent influx this team just had, and only be satisfied with "just making" the playoffs IMO.

With higher talent level SHOULD come higher expectations.
Just making the playoffs is a huge leap forwards. Like I stated in the underdogs thread, it's hard to go from junk to great in one season.

Top-5 in the West last year based on points was Vancouver, St. Louis, Nashville, Detroit, and Chicago. We were a long ways below that level of competition last year. Top-5 is a crazy high jump. It would be a greater jump than 2005-06 to 2006-07. Possible? Yes. Likely? Hmm. . . don't set your expectations too high either.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
If Brodin is ready. 6-8th seed. If Brodin isn't ready. 8th-11th.
If Brodin is the one piece capable of altering our team's position in the standings by as much as five or even three spots, then something is very wrong.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
If Brodin is the one piece capable of altering our team's position in the standings by as much as five or even three spots, then something is very wrong.
Bouchard made us move a few places last year. So did Koivu as well. Brodin bolsters the D by fair margin.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:
Here we go again talking about fear of being disappointed...I refused to set low expectations in the offseason, I refuse to set them low now. I am just flat out analyzing that a roster with this talent level should have both some regular season success and some playoff success.

Thus the mid-seed and a playoff round victory.

I am not going to give excuses myself to "expect" anything less. These are professionals. The shortened season is their own damn fault.

Not a fear of being disappointed. It is just looking at it with realistic expectations, and not through Iron Range red-colored glasses like some folks. While I would love to be wrong, I just don't see it. Feel free to bookmark and review after the season.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:00 AM
TheeNorthStar

Playoffs. IDC what seed.. just get in and you can win.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:01 AM
P10p

NW Champs.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:05 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it's not only the player's stats that make a difference but his presence effect on other players. they expect koivu and parise won't have to kill penalties (as much) as our top guys have had to in the past because we have bottom six guys more capable of doing that. Sutter will be fresher against the tough assignments because our second pair can log more minutes without exposing us, etc. Brodin was our breakout game in houston...give him a couple games in the NHL and he'll be doing it up here too.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:07 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

My realistic hope for us is the 5th-8th seed.

Vancouver, St Louis, Chicago, San Jose and LA all have rosters that are on par with or better than ours. Then you have Detroit and that wart Edmonton.... As much as I hate to admit it, both of those are are very strong as well and will be right on our heels the entire time.

If we gel fast and well we can be a middle seed.

If we get ravaged by injuries to a few key pieces, well, it's a crapshoot then, even with our depth. Better than last year for sure, but there is no room for error this year.

My main concern is with our d. Personally, I do not have much faith in Spurgeon outside of a 4-5 position. I have kept my eyes open with him for two years now, and he has talent, but I just do not see the greatness some do.

Scandella is another I do not have much faith in. I hope he proves me wrong this season; currently I do not think he will ever be better than a 4-6.

I do like Gilbert quite a bit however. He and Suter, with Brodin in the near future, give me hope for our d. We just need one more...

Let's just hope they win on opening night and we can go from there

Old
01-16-2013, 12:16 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'm keeping my expectations low until I see some chemistry.

I don't want my heart broken again.
^ This

In my opinion, an abbreviated season leaves no time for errors. Hopefully they have their @#$! together right out of the gate. And pray to the Hockey Gods that we don't get hit by the injury bug like last season.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

6th or 7th seed in the West, and they'll take a really good team to 7 games before bowing out in the first round.

Last edited by Jaykay: 05-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Playoffs and a 2nd round exit.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:42 AM
wildark45

Second in NW division, mid seed. I thought this could have been a playoff team without Parise and Suter, big difference between this year and last because the kids are in Houston now instead of college or major juniors.

Expecting playoffs for sure and at least the second round.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Playoffs and a 2nd round exit.
Ideally this is what I would really be hoping for.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Somewhere around a 5th seed with a chance to challenge for the NW division title. It will depend on the breaks, but the Wild do IMO have a shot at it.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Beegoalie

Somewhere at home....Danny Heatley "the f'in Allstar": Pop collar, double hip thrust STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS BABAAAAAAAAY. Pistols. And walk away.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Beegoalie

But for real..playoffs as the 5 or 6 and a first round win.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:33 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildark45 View Post
Second in NW division, mid seed. I thought this could have been a playoff team without Parise and Suter, big difference between this year and last because the kids are in Houston now instead of college or major juniors.

Expecting playoffs for sure and at least the second round.
Agreed, this team would have been in the playoffs last year had they had the depth of this year alone...then you add in Parise, Suter and Granlund, they should be a mid-seed that legitimately challenges for the division.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Tell me where I am off in my assessment of other teams:

Anaheim. Bruce Boudreau will have them doing a run and gun style. Unfortunately, we are going to see this fail, and i don't have a lot of confidence in their blue line. Hiller was already wishy washy in net for them last season, and I suspect that he will be again. Verdict: Not in.
Calgary Flames. Nuff said. Aging Iginla. Kipper can't stand on his head, and... who else is on that roster? Verdict: Not in.
Chicago. Corey Crawford. Yeah, lol. If Keith can't always double shift. Their forwards were relatively easy to shut down the last couple of post seasons. 50/50 shot of a low seed.
Avalanche. The Avs worry me a bit. They are a good up and coming young team. But... They are also coached by someone only slightly better than #FireToddRichards 40/60 shot at a low seed.
CoLOLmbus. Not In.
Stars. This years stars roster could either fail miserably and take the Central. Verdict; 50/50 shot at being either a top seed #4 or being #9.
Detroit. Aging roster, Jimmy Howard in net. No lidstrom. no holmstrom. datsyuk has been injury prone the last two seasons. Verdict; easily on the 8/9/10 bubble.
Oilers. For some reason, I just don't see the optimism around the Oil. Their talent hasn't gelled much down in OKC which you would have was the case. Verdict, yet another mediocre year and missing the play offs.
Kings. The team that got them into the playoffs last year will see them pretty much dominate the Pacific. Verdict; In
Predators. Rinne will be their savior, but I have to agree with a lot of pundits that say Weber won't be as good without Suter. Verdict; Bubble team.
Phoenix. Meh. Not worth talking about at this point. They can trap their way into the bubble area, but I think they lost too many keys this season. Bubble team but more like they are out.
San Jose. What has San Jose done to improve? Not much. This time around, i say the slip and are out. Verdict; Out.
Blues. #1 in the west.
Vancouver. Already being hit by big injuries to big guys. i don't see them as the shoe in for the NW. I actually see them weaker on D than the Wild are right now. I may even be really hard on them about Kesler and Booth being out and very little depth to cover. Verdict. Bubble Team.

Minnesota. They are going to come out of the blocks with chemistry having been built already. one of the few teams that had a lot of their players local and that they were skating together every other day. this will help. blue line is still suspect, but if the good falk and good prosser show up like they did at the beginning of last season?

Verdict. The Wild will realistically be fighting with Colorado for the NW division lead.

My hope is that they come in at #2 in the West, since LA does tend to inconsistently crap the bed sometimes.

Realistically? #4 seed.

Closed Thread