HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2014 Memorial Cup Location

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
  #26
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD 309A19
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Kingston...after that London. The OHL can't slap the heaviest sanctions on Windsor and then turn around and powder their butts by handing them the most lucrative CHL event 6 months later. Can't happen..if it does the league is a bigger joke then ever. Windsor was the odds on favourite before last summer's events...not now.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
  #27
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 514
The cities I'm hearing the most are London, Windsor, Sarnia and Barrie.

City council has apparently been mulling over and expansion to the arena to 5,000. If that occurs that could give them the edge.

London has had it too recently and not enough time will pass since Windsor's sanctions.

Would love to see Oshawa host it personally but I don,t see any bids coming this time around.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
  #28
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
The cities I'm hearing the most are London, Windsor, Sarnia and Barrie.

City council has apparently been mulling over and expansion to the arena to 5,000. If that occurs that could give them the edge.

London has had it too recently and not enough time will pass since Windsor's sanctions.

Would love to see Oshawa host it personally but I don,t see any bids coming this time around.
Hearing the most, where?

Still not sure Sarnia will have the team. Ditto for Oshawa and Barrie.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
  #29
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 514
Here's one site that's Barrie-centric

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/201...ehind-2014-bid

It does mention London, Sarnia and Windsor.

Nothing for Oshawa, just a personal fav.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
  #30
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
The ownership in Sarnia is bleeding money, badly. How will they come up with the type of offer needed?

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
  #31
hockeyplayer11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
kitch possibly?

hockeyplayer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
  #32
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
The ownership in Sarnia is bleeding money, badly. How will they come up with the type of offer needed?
Figures dont lie but liars figures.Management has the options of moving money between the RBC center and the Sting Team.Management is throwing out the poor me.People dont believe them because they have been so secretive on what is going on until they cry wolf.I believe they can find it if needed.

massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  #33
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,859
vCash: 500
I would love to see Kingston get it -- great barn (it would be nice to see it filled), fantastic city, tons of restaurants/hotels nearby. Having said that, I don't see Mavety & Co. ponying up the money to make it happen.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:56 PM
  #34
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I would love to see Kingston get it -- great barn (it would be nice to see it filled), fantastic city, tons of restaurants/hotels nearby. Having said that, I don't see Mavety & Co. ponying up the money to make it happen.
Mav is pretty much gone, but the same owner is still there. Suprisingly they did bid the last two times. It only figures that Kingston would bid twice when they havd no chance and not bid when they would be a possible favourite.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:57 PM
  #35
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Here's one site that's Barrie-centric

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/201...ehind-2014-bid

It does mention London, Sarnia and Windsor.

Nothing for Oshawa, just a personal fav.
Thanks! I'm still very interested to see how Barrie is able to go for the Memorial Cup both years. Especially if they lose Schiefele and decide to still go for it this year.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:28 PM
  #36
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Thanks! I'm still very interested to see how Barrie is able to go for the Memorial Cup both years. Especially if they lose Schiefele and decide to still go for it this year.
By adding 94 born players who will be back next year. I don't think they seriously go for the cup this year. Next year was always the target. Remember, Scheifele was not expected to return. They were always setting up for next year...the double first round pick in 11 combined with Ekblad's exceptional status allowed for a unique opportunity to build for 2014.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:32 AM
  #37
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
I would like to see it in Kingston with all their young talent, but London has the facility and $

skating101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:32 PM
  #38
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
I would like to see it in Kingston with all their young talent, but London has the facility and $
If the league wants to continue to grow, it can't go back to London for at least another 3 cycles (9 years). Sure, they might be able to pony up the most right now, but there are other viable cities that haven't seen this tournament in years (if ever) and if they want to build the popularity and demand they need to spread it around.

If I were running the league my next four would be Barrie, Kingston, Niagara and Sarnia. Then I'd go back to Windsor (assuming no new rinks in Owen Sound or some of the other yet to host cities). My unbiased order would be as follows:

Kingston (2014)
Niagara (2017)
Sarnia(2020)
Barrie (2023)
Windsor (2026)

My biased order would have Barrie hosting next year, and flipping with Kingston.

This all assumes quasi-competitive teams in the bid years, so may require some tweaking, but I'd be trying to move it around geographically while moving through the teams yet to host.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
  #39
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 500
i know it may be along shot but could SSM be an outside shot, lots of talent leaving but if some potentially stay behind due to contract issues plus the growth of players like Nurse, Tolchinsky, McCann, Murray and a solid facility could that be enough to warrant a bid.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:34 PM
  #40
IcemanTBI
Registered User
 
IcemanTBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
i know it may be along shot but could SSM be an outside shot, lots of talent leaving but if some potentially stay behind due to contract issues plus the growth of players like Nurse, Tolchinsky, McCann, Murray and a solid facility could that be enough to warrant a bid.
That would be a dream come true, but unfortunately, not very likely. I remember when we hosted in 1993, we had to beat Peterborough in a best of 7 series during the season to get the chance to host. Branch has never favored the Soo, which is unfortunate. I was a young lad at the time, but we did a great job hosting in 1993, with an outdated building, but the atmosphere was incredible. Best memories was watching the Hounds hoist that Memorial Cup at center ice at the Memorial Gardens.

I hope you are right and we host.. There has been no mention here that we have any intention of bidding, but it would be awesome if we could host it again.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:04 AM
  #41
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja
 
Knights77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Section 314
Country: Canada
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
If the league wants to continue to grow, it can't go back to London for at least another 3 cycles (9 years). Sure, they might be able to pony up the most right now, but there are other viable cities that haven't seen this tournament in years (if ever) and if they want to build the popularity and demand they need to spread it around.

If I were running the league my next four would be Barrie, Kingston, Niagara and Sarnia. Then I'd go back to Windsor (assuming no new rinks in Owen Sound or some of the other yet to host cities). My unbiased order would be as follows:

Kingston (2014)
Niagara (2017)
Sarnia(2020)
Barrie (2023)
Windsor (2026)

My biased order would have Barrie hosting next year, and flipping with Kingston.

This all assumes quasi-competitive teams in the bid years, so may require some tweaking, but I'd be trying to move it around geographically while moving through the teams yet to host.
If they base their decision on money making ability and talent, it goes to London hands down. Knights will arguably be icing the most talented team next year, and as far as raking in the cash, that's a guarantee.
However, if they try to be 'fair' (such a subjective word), I would suggest a team like Kingston. Money shouldn't be an issue and the team should be fairly competitive too with assets in the cupboard to add for a run. I also like the fact that it is the East hosting as the last time it was in the West (Knights'05).
Barrie would also be a good choice for the same reasons.

Knights77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
  #42
youngblood10
Registered User
 
youngblood10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
If they base their decision on money making ability and talent, it goes to London hands down. Knights will arguably be icing the most talented team next year, and as far as raking in the cash, that's a guarantee.
However, if they try to be 'fair' (such a subjective word), I would suggest a team like Kingston. Money shouldn't be an issue and the team should be fairly competitive too with assets in the cupboard to add for a run. I also like the fact that it is the East hosting as the last time it was in the West (Knights'05).
Barrie would also be a good choice for the same reasons.
Not to nit pick but last time the OHL hosted it was in the East, Mississauga '11. The time before that in '08 Kitchener hosted.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
  #43
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja
 
Knights77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Section 314
Country: Canada
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Not to nit pick but last time the OHL hosted it was in the East, Mississauga '11. The time before that in '08 Kitchener hosted.
Lol, you're right! I guess it was such a bore that I forgot all about the Mississauga event.
Oh well, in the end there are going to be some happy people and some really upset people too. Several good cities to choose from!

Knights77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:59 PM
  #44
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
If the league wants to continue to grow, it can't go back to London for at least another 3 cycles (9 years). Sure, they might be able to pony up the most right now, but there are other viable cities that haven't seen this tournament in years (if ever) and if they want to build the popularity and demand they need to spread it around.

If I were running the league my next four would be Barrie, Kingston, Niagara and Sarnia. Then I'd go back to Windsor (assuming no new rinks in Owen Sound or some of the other yet to host cities). My unbiased order would be as follows:

Kingston (2014)
Niagara (2017)
Sarnia(2020)
Barrie (2023)
Windsor (2026)

My biased order would have Barrie hosting next year, and flipping with Kingston.

This all assumes quasi-competitive teams in the bid years, so may require some tweaking, but I'd be trying to move it around geographically while moving through the teams yet to host.
Jocko going for the 2017 bid in sarnia.He announced they should have 8 players from last year draft playing and have something like 17 yes 17 draft picks this year.Some are fairly high rounds though.

massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
  #45
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Jocko going for the 2017 bid in sarnia.He announced they should have 8 players from last year draft playing and have something like 17 yes 17 draft picks this year.Some are fairly high rounds though.
Barrie 14
Sarnia 17
Niagara 20
Kingston 23
Windsor 26

Would also make sense to me. Spreading it around the province and cycling through teams that have never had the event before going back to Windsor.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
  #46
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,809
vCash: 500
Screw being fair, give it to Windsor. If we're going to be the recruiting scapegoat for the league and line their pockets with penalty cash, the least they could do is throw us a bone after screwing us the last time the OHL hosted.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:30 PM
  #47
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Screw being fair, give it to Windsor. If we're going to be the recruiting scapegoat for the league and line their pockets with penalty cash, the least they could do is throw us a bone after screwing us the last time the OHL hosted.
Screwing you? They should have taken the banner down!

I thought I was being nice by including you guys as the next team to get a repeat (mostly cuz I could stay at my brother's place for free), but I've changed my mind...how about 2041?

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
  #48
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Screwing you? They should have taken the banner down!

I thought I was being nice by including you guys as the next team to get a repeat (mostly cuz I could stay at my brother's place for free), but I've changed my mind...how about 2041?
They should have taken Barrie's banners down for their support of human trafficking in the belly of their team bus. Oh wait, no banners to remove yet, my mistake. You can pretend that your team got swept in the finals because Windsor had a recruiting advantage, but our violations were after the back to back titles. Our banners have as much to do with recruiting violations as your banners have to do with smuggling a kid over the US border illegally in the cargo hold of the bus. (If you had banners of course) Wait, don't you guys have some sort of participation ribbon from the 2000 cup? Do they give those out for just making it to the dance? Maybe a London fan can enlighten us.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:18 PM
  #49
battfan888
Registered User
 
battfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brampton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Well other than the rest of your ignorant rant I would love to know how you guys got screwed last time the OHL hosted, Mississauga had a better team than you guys.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:35 PM
  #50
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
Well other than the rest of your ignorant rant I would love to know how you guys got screwed last time the OHL hosted, Mississauga had a better team than you guys.
That's very debatable. Back-to-back Memorial Cup Champs with a historic chance to get a threepeat, a very good team (at worst) if we didn't trade Cantin and Shugg for Ebert once we didn't get the bid (traded to Missy may I add) and a certain off-the-record promise made to the city when the Mayor and Co put the tax payers on the hook to build the $70M arena. Melynuk either bought the cup or was also promised it by Branch for bailing out the league owning a couple hurting teams along the way and then wanted out of the league.

I'll be pretty surprised if Windsor doesn't get the hosting gig for 2014 (if we make the play-offs this year).

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.