HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
haburger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxN View Post
LOL

Sure let's give him the friggin moon after only TWO full seasons. Makes a whole lot of sense. Let's just sign him to a major money deal because he looks like the kind of player who has a huge ceiling. We can't go wrong! He has proved it in the 160 games he's played in this league!

The difference between your opinion and mine is you're seeing the situation from PK's point of view (I'm worth more than Gorges and Kaberle because I played more and produced more) and I'm seeing it from the organization's (Second contract, starting third regular season, wild card, high risk high reward). Bergevin is being cautious because he doesn't own a crystal ball like you do.

It's not even worth arguying with you because you'll always be right in your own mind.
ya give him the moon after 2 years!! have you watched him play?he can do it all in ALL situations .how often does a dman like that come around?not very often.think about how far he's come in a couple years then imagine how he should turn out in the next 3/4 years. he's gonna be an elite defenseman who will replace markov.he must be kept at all costs.unfortunately in the new nhl ,star players are makin 5,6,7 mil after a couple years in the league .thats just the way it is.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
durojean

Honestly I'd offer 8 year to pk and try to ger a discount on the price. Something like 40 millikn for 8 years.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think most fans are okay with 4 to 4.5m. He hasn't proven that he's worth more than that. He's shown great potential but he suffers from brainfarts more often than you'd want your number 1 D to. He's still fairly inconsistent and again (this shouldn't be understated) has had issues with teammates. A true number 1 defenceman is never a healthy scratch is he?
Tyler Myers was a healthy scratch. Brainfarts will happen when dealing with young players, it doesn't mean they're not #1. Markov in his career year lead our team with over 100 giveaways. Here's the thing, the more your on the ice, the more you play versus tougher opponents, the more you like to do offensive plays, then the more you will make those mistakes. And if you recall correctly, not everybody agreed with the scratching.
Also, Gionta wasn't worth 5M for 5years. Cole wasn't worth 4.5 for 4 years. Not at their ages. One can argue Markov wasn't worth 5.75M for 3 years after suffering his injuries, actually many were against it (I was for it). Gorges is not worth 3.9M for 6years. Price certainly didn't show he was worth 6.5M starting next year based on his previous play. Prust is not worth 2.5M, especially not over 4years.
So, PK isn't worth more than 4.5M to you, today. Fine. You'll find that about half the team isn't really worth what they got as a contract.

Point isn't what he's worth or not according to us. Point is more if he's worth risking overpaying him. The answer is an undoubtedly yes. Just like Price isn't really worth making just 500K less than the best goaltender in the NHL next year, but he's well worth risking it. He might very well end up earning it, and the same can be said of PK at a 5.5-6M deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
P.K more or less defaulted to our number 1 defenceman because of Markov's injuries. Does that mean he is a legitimate number 1 D in the league? Not yet... If saying that Markov can have a greater impact on the team is pure speculation then saying that Subban will become a superstar is much the same.
PK absolutely defaulted as our #1. Markov went down, and PK came in to replace him. He did an amazing job. PK is absolutely a #1 D in this league. He is a top 30 D.
He plays the toughest minutes, on the top pairing playing the most, he's on the top unit on the PP, PK and ES, and is effective in all situations. Not only can he blast the puck, but he can also pass, he can protect the puck well, is strong on his skates with amazing skating skills, he can stickhandle very well for a defenseman, his vision is good, he is also strong defensively, he can defend well, block shots and also brings a physical edge that is lacking on our D squad. The kid is already a top 30 in the league. I can't believe I actually have to explain this...

Also, I never said PK will become a superstar, I said that was his ceiling. You're gonna disagree with that? And no, it's not at all the same situation. Markov is a question mark because he played 73 games over the last 3 years in the NHL, 53 of them came 2 years ago. So, nobody is doubting the skills of Markov, if he gets back to form, he'll have a great impact as he always did. The question mark comes from whether or not his injuries will have set him back too much for him to get back to where he was.
For PK, it has nothing to do with injuries. He is a 23yo that has seen his development grow incredibly over the past few years. His ceiling is superstardom, and after two years only, he's done a tremendous job all things considered. There's no reason to doubt he won't keep improving. Why would you?
Same cannot be said of Markov, anybody can make a strong case now that Markov won't get back to form, and there's not much you'll have to counter it. Just like there's no reason for anybody to think PK won't keep improving.
Hunches don't mean crap unfortunately.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:57 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Does anybody know if the rules have changed in the new CBA in terms of other teams offering PK a contract? Is it still 4 first round picks for a contract over 5M/year? If so, I highly doubt any team would be stupid enough to offer anything to PK. Without that worry, would it be possible that PK sits out the entire year and what would happen next year? I assume he would still remain a RFA. I don't think PK has as much leverage as he thinks he has. It's not like the Habs are going deep into the playoffs anytime soon. We technically could wait him out. I don't see his trade value decreasing with time.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:17 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wonder if you felt the same way about the Gainey era and his set of rule (no re-signing during the season)..
Actually, I know you hated it.
I don't have a problem with putting some rules in to have a good structure. However I think it's stupid/foolish to think nobody they can't be bent. Heck, even Gainey, the most stubborn man, bent his rule for Koivu and re-signed him mid-year.
The two year bridge deal is understandable, but to think every player should go through it without exception is just dumb. What if Gally has three amazing years, where his production consistently goes up every year and ends in his last season at 1ppg while being the top line center, will he has to sign a bridge contract too? Meanwhile others on the same team, who are less talented and contribute less, get bigger deals??
PK deserves more than a bridge deal.
So you are comparing treating each player evenly to not signing players until the offseason? They are like apples and oranges and that makes no sense.

Ofcourse Gally should go through it, he might be the most talented player we have had in a long time but he is still a hab and this is a team sport if I remember correctly. Those two years are for the protection of the team, the players should understand that.

What Gainey did was beyond idiotic for everyone, the two year bridge is an intelligent way to avoid signing massive contracts before you know a players skills. Not signing until the offseason is a great way to lose assets for nothing, Gainey was quite exceptional at that.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:20 AM
haburger

Quote:
Tyler Myers was a healthy scratch. Brainfarts will happen when dealing with young players, it doesn't mean they're not #1. Markov in his career year lead our team with over 100 giveaways. Here's the thing, the more your on the ice, the more you play versus tougher opponents, the more you like to do offensive plays, then the more you will make those mistakes. And if you recall correctly, not everybody agreed with the scratching.
Also, Gionta wasn't worth 5M for 5years. Cole wasn't worth 4.5 for 4 years. Not at their ages. One can argue Markov wasn't worth 5.75M for 3 years after suffering his injuries, actually many were against it (I was for it). Gorges is not worth 3.9M for 6years. Price certainly didn't show he was worth 6.5M starting next year based on his previous play. Prust is not worth 2.5M, especially not over 4years.
So, PK isn't worth more than 4.5M to you, today. Fine. You'll find that about half the team isn't really worth what they got as a contract.

Point isn't what he's worth or not according to us. Point is more if he's worth risking overpaying him. The answer is an undoubtedly yes. Just like Price isn't really worth making just 500K less than the best goaltender in the NHL next year, but he's well worth risking it. He might very well end up earning it, and the same can be said of PK at a 5.5-6M deal.

PK absolutely defaulted as our #1. Markov went down, and PK came in to replace him. He did an amazing job. PK is absolutely a #1 D in this league. He is a top 30 D.
He plays the toughest minutes, on the top pairing playing the most, he's on the top unit on the PP, PK and ES, and is effective in all situations. Not only can he blast the puck, but he can also pass, he can protect the puck well, is strong on his skates with amazing skating skills, he can stickhandle very well for a defenseman, his vision is good, he is also strong defensively, he can defend well, block shots and also brings a physical edge that is lacking on our D squad. The kid is already a top 30 in the league. I can't believe I actually have to explain this...

Also, I never said PK will become a superstar, I said that was his ceiling. You're gonna disagree with that? And no, it's not at all the same situation. Markov is a question mark because he played 73 games over the last 3 years in the NHL, 53 of them came 2 years ago. So, nobody is doubting the skills of Markov, if he gets back to form, he'll have a great impact as he always did. The question mark comes from whether or not his injuries will have set him back too much for him to get back to where he was.
For PK, it has nothing to do with injuries. He is a 23yo that has seen his development grow incredibly over the past few years. His ceiling is superstardom, and after two years only, he's done a tremendous job all things considered. There's no reason to doubt he won't keep improving. Why would you?
Same cannot be said of Markov, anybody can make a strong case now that Markov won't get back to form, and there's not much you'll have to counter it. Just like there's no reason for anybody to think PK won't keep improving.
u nailed it man.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Why are you comparing Subban's contract situation with players who signed as UFA? Totally different world. Why would you want to buy Subban's UFA eligibilty at year 3 of his career? We can do that 2 years from now. We'd still own his rights. He'd play his ass off to prove he really deserves the big contract. It's smart managing.

You'd be a better player agent than GM.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Bud2790

Quote:

Great post man, completely agree with you!

Old
01-16-2013, 01:10 AM
25get

vCash: 50
This

edit: and that.

Last edited by 25get: 01-16-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old
01-16-2013, 06:36 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Why are you comparing Subban's contract situation with players who signed as UFA? Totally different world. Why would you want to buy Subban's UFA eligibilty at year 3 of his career? We can do that 2 years from now. We'd still own his rights. He'd play his ass off to prove he really deserves the big contract. It's smart managing.

There's no RULE that the 2nd contract has to be 2 years. I don't get where some Hab fans have gotten this from. You buy his free agency years NOW by offering him a 6-7 year deal.

If the Habs didn't want to pay him like a #1dman then they shouldn't have had him playing as a #1.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:59 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Does anybody know if the rules have changed in the new CBA in terms of other teams offering PK a contract? Is it still 4 first round picks for a contract over 5M/year? If so, I highly doubt any team would be stupid enough to offer anything to PK. Without that worry, would it be possible that PK sits out the entire year and what would happen next year? I assume he would still remain a RFA. I don't think PK has as much leverage as he thinks he has. It's not like the Habs are going deep into the playoffs anytime soon. We technically could wait him out. I don't see his trade value decreasing with time.
These values are from the 2011 offseason, so they are a little outdated, but here goes:

2005 Averaged Salary Current Averaged Salary Draft Pick Compensation
$660,000 and below $1,034,249 and below No compensation
$660,001 to $1,000,000 $1,034,250 to $1,567,043 Third-round pick
$1,000,001 to $2,000,000 $1,567,044 to $3,134,088 Second-round pick
$2,000,001 to $3,000,000 $3,134,089 to $4,701,131 First- and third-round pick
$3,000,001 to $4,000,000 $4,701,132 to $6,268,175 First-, second-, and third-round pick
$4,000,001 to $5,000,000 $6,268,176 to $7,835,219 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick
$5,000,001 and above $7,835,220 and above Four first-round picks

As the cap then was at around 62 million and is now 70 million, the cost to get 4 1st round picks is at around 8.7 million or so.

We're not getting 4 1st round picks from Subban.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
EveryDay

BERGEVIN SIGN PK SUBBAN NoW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-16-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I've never spoken to Subban but I sense the force field of a monstrous ego stoked by the greed of his agent.
The former couldn't be further from the truth...and the latter is a common trait of ALL sports agents.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

This is where the main problem lies in our difference of opinion.
Somehow, according to you, PK deserves less cash and a smaller contract for the sole purpose of being a RFA. It doesn't matter whether or not he actually is better with more potential and contributes more than any other player on the team (Price being the sole exception perhaps). Just because he's a RFA he deserves less. It makes no sense.
Listen if PK had this superstardom potential but struggled out of the gate and was used more as a 2nd pairing guy, then everybody would agree that PK should sign a bridge contract, just like most agreed with Price's 2nd deal, he hadn't proven himself capable of truly being a #1 keeper and actually lost his spot to Halak. PK already proved himself as a top Dman. He's not going to decline at 23 and start playing like a 2nd pairing guy.
Just like other guys around the league proved themselves enough to get a bigger deal after their ELC contracts.
Being a RFA doesn't mean you just have to shut up and accept wtv deal management throws your way. When a player is developing super fast and already proved himself to be better than the rest, than you can pay him top dollars. Makes absolutely no sense for him to be relied upon more than any other D, therefore risking injury more than the rest, and be expected to agree to less cash.
Imagine if at your work your boss told you that you're the one that is going to be relied on the most out of a group of 6, you will work in the toughest situations, handle the toughest assignments but yet, you won't be making the most cash. Doesn't add up right?
RFA vs UFA is a good bargaining chip, but it doesn't mean that a player can't compare himself to others who are worse and play less, but make more.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:32 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I would keep it at 3 years max. He would still be RFA after that I think.

3 years at 4.5 million each or sit at home all season and the Habs would have a better draft pick.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:05 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
3 years at 4.5 million each or sit at home all season and the Habs would have a better draft pick.
It's pretty interesting.

I got huge flak from the forum for recognizing that we are a bad team and should rebuild. People instead wanted 8th place more than anything.

However, if it means putting PK "in his place", all of a sudden people are excited about drafting top-5.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Capitano

Quote:

I agree with you, you can't use UFAs as a comparison, just like they can't do that in arbitration to compare.

It's quite simple again...as an RFA the habs hold the hammer...as a UFA the player holds the hammer...it's that simple. The habs want to hold the hammer again in the next round of negotiations before they commit to a long term deal. And if you ask me it's simply a risk mitigating tactic to avoid giving huge contracts to young players...giving huge dollars to a young guy can destroy a player on the spot in a lot of cases so the habs are simply trying to nurture him along rather than throw it all at him now at his age.

PK is a great player, but nobody is bigger than the team. I'm not saying we should trade him...but I can totally see him sitting for a month or two before we eventually sign him for our terms.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Capitano

Quote:
This is where the main problem lies in our difference of opinion.
Somehow, according to you, PK deserves less cash and a smaller contract for the sole purpose of being a RFA. It doesn't matter whether or not he actually is better with more potential and contributes more than any other player on the team (Price being the sole exception perhaps). Just because he's a RFA he deserves less. It makes no sense.
Listen if PK had this superstardom potential but struggled out of the gate and was used more as a 2nd pairing guy, then everybody would agree that PK should sign a bridge contract, just like most agreed with Price's 2nd deal, he hadn't proven himself capable of truly being a #1 keeper and actually lost his spot to Halak. PK already proved himself as a top Dman. He's not going to decline at 23 and start playing like a 2nd pairing guy.
Just like other guys around the league proved themselves enough to get a bigger deal after their ELC contracts.
Being a RFA doesn't mean you just have to shut up and accept wtv deal management throws your way. When a player is developing super fast and already proved himself to be better than the rest, than you can pay him top dollars. Makes absolutely no sense for him to be relied upon more than any other D, therefore risking injury more than the rest, and be expected to agree to less cash.
Imagine if at your work your boss told you that you're the one that is going to be relied on the most out of a group of 6, you will work in the toughest situations, handle the toughest assignments but yet, you won't be making the most cash. Doesn't add up right?
RFA vs UFA is a good bargaining chip, but it doesn't mean that a player can't compare himself to others who are worse and play less, but make more.
Well part of the trouble is that we are going on pure speculation and opinion and we don't know the workings of MB's team. I'm willing to bet they have salary structures laid out and a gameplan already created for building a winning team. And considering PK hasn't signed yet, they haven't been able to come to an agreement so it fits.

We can all have the opinions we want if PK is great or not, in the end he is just one player that has to fit an entire gameplan that is managed by MB.

I want to win, I couldn't care less about PK getting max money...sometimes you have to take a hometown discount to let management make the entire team better, and that's what I personally care about.

I'm a PK fan if he is a hab, if he isn't then i'll cheer for the next guy that puts on the jersey.

Look at it this way, it's Meehan's job to get PK as much money as possible...it's MB's job to make the habs a good team and at this point I have to trust that MB knows what he is doing. He has the habs interests in mind, whereas Meehan only has his own and PK's.

Last edited by Capitano: 01-16-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's pretty interesting.

I got huge flak from the forum for recognizing that we are a bad team and should rebuild. People instead wanted 8th place more than anything.

However, if it means putting PK "in his place", all of a sudden people are excited about drafting top-5.
They might have a better bottom 6 than last year and alot will depend on if Markov can stay healthy. I just dont see them as being all that much better. If they dont sign Subban they are almost a lock for a top 5 pick next summer.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Captain Saku

I fear a bad start to the season without Subban and the stupid crowd start chanting his name.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Capitano

Quote:
They might have a better bottom 6 than last year and alot will depend on if Markov can stay healthy. I just dont see them as being all that much better. If they dont sign Subban they are almost a lock for a top 5 pick next summer.
Not necessarily a bad thing...we have already put up with losing half a season due to the lockout...as much as it hurts me to watch the habs lose, if they keep PK on the sidelines and go with what they have and finish the same way they did last year it might be for the best in the long run lol.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I fear a bad start to the season without Subban and the stupid crowd start chanting his name.

That is exactly what Subban and his agent are hoping for. A bad start and the GM might panic and cave.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Not necessarily a bad thing...we have already put up with losing half a season due to the lockout...as much as it hurts me to watch the habs lose, if they keep PK on the sidelines and go with what they have and finish the same way they did last year it might be for the best in the long run lol.
I dont know about you but I can handle them losing this season if it means Jones, Druin, Mckinnon or Barkov.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:43 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
I dont know about you but I can handle them losing this season if it means Jones, Druin, Mckinnon or Barkov.
I'm ok with landing those players if we are a genuinely bad team, which we are.

But it shouldn't be because Bergevin is trying to put PK "in his place" more than he cares about winning.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Looking at the schedule, can't really afford a bad start. If we have a bad start were toast

Closed Thread