HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Glen Sather/Gomez and Redden buyout rule. Who else get's bought out?

Old
01-15-2013, 08:20 PM
capsrule26

vCash: 500
Ilya Bryzgalov

capsrule26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
palindrom

Gomez is a proven 30 goals, 80pts player and Stanley cup winner.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:01 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Gomez playing in the west? Ya good luck with that
Very good point, I don't think a lot of posters have realized what difference that makes.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:26 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Very good point, I don't think a lot of posters have realized what difference that makes.
I don't think the difference is nearly as great as some posters here like to imagine it is.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
but he's no bozak

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:18 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
That great. Here's what I'm more interested in:

What have you done for me lately?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

Typical HFBoards and the 'what have you done for me lately' mentality.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Coyotes/Tippett would seem to be a lot like a Lou L. Devils team...Gomez seems like he might be a good fit for the Coyotes.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:05 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

Kesler is a proven 40 goals and selke winner player.

But what have he done for Vancouver lately?

My point is, we often define a player by his career year, and it somewhat sound wrong.

I prefer to acquire a young player before he become "proven" so i can benefit of his best years, than acquire him after he has proven himself and could be on the decline.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 AM
DJOpus

What's the deal with these buyouts?

I thought that a player wouldn't get paid more if the re-signed with a new team but instead their old team would simply need to pay less.

For example, if Gomez gets bought out, he'll get $10M ($5.5M, $4.5M) in buyout money and as a result, if he signs for less than that, he will not make more than $5.5M this season, it just means that he old team would have to pay less with his new team picking up some slack...can anyone confirm?

If so, it really makes sense for Gomez to sign for the minimum to stick it to the Habs after they had him show up for camp just to sit him out.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:57 AM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
What's the deal with these buyouts?

I thought that a player wouldn't get paid more if the re-signed with a new team but instead their old team would simply need to pay less.

For example, if Gomez gets bought out, he'll get $10M ($5.5M, $4.5M) in buyout money and as a result, if he signs for less than that, he will not make more than $5.5M this season, it just means that he old team would have to pay less with his new team picking up some slack...can anyone confirm?

If so, it really makes sense for Gomez to sign for the minimum to stick it to the Habs after they had him show up for camp just to sit him out.
I could be wrong so someone else could correct but i thought bought out players were only paid a 1/3 of their salary. So if Gomez makes 10 million in salary and mtl were able to buy him out now, wouldnt the habs only be on the hook for 3.33 million? Also, arent amnesty buy out only next summer? Hence mtl shipping him home in bubble wrap. I dont understand todays canuck rumours about gomez, if gomez isnt available untilthe summer, i would hope theres a few more UFA centers to target first

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:03 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
I could be wrong so someone else could correct but i thought bought out players were only paid a 1/3 of their salary. So if Gomez makes 10 million in salary and mtl were able to buy him out now, wouldnt the habs only be on the hook for 3.33 million? Also, arent amnesty buy out only next summer? Hence mtl shipping him home in bubble wrap. I dont understand todays canuck rumours about gomez, if gomez isnt available untilthe summer, i would hope theres a few more UFA centers to target first
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

Redden and Gomez will get to play this year, but the buyout acts works exactly as if they'd been bubble wrapped and bought out in the coming summer. They stay on the cap and get their full salary for this season. In exchange New York and Montreal don't have to worry about them getting injured between now and then, thus preventing a buyout. It also opens up a roster spot on each squad.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:19 AM
FadeToBlack

You forgot the most important reason this was probably implemented; it frees the players to play somewhere else. I can assure you that Redden and Gomez were getting ready to start some **** about their teams' decisions.

FadeToBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Not sure why a Hawks fan would be happy to see Gomez go to the Canucks.

Gomez was on an awful deal at $7.5M and a large hindrance for a cap team. That does not mean Gomez is an awful player. He's still a good fringe second/third liner and I'm willing to bet his production will go up with the expectations of playing as a $7.5M player gone.

If he signs for under $2M he will be a good value for any team that picks him up.
I hear Horcoff is available.

No need to paint yourself into a corner.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:34 AM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

Redden and Gomez will get to play this year, but the buyout acts works exactly as if they'd been bubble wrapped and bought out in the coming summer. They stay on the cap and get their full salary for this season. In exchange New York and Montreal don't have to worry about them getting injured between now and then, thus preventing a buyout. It also opens up a roster spot on each squad.
Thanks. They will still have to clear waivers though, and arent this years contracts all pro-rated? So a desperate team could pick gomez off waivers for half of his salary/caphit regularly, now theyll only have to pay a pro-rated version of that half salary?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:39 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

gets*

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:45 AM
JackJ

Absolutely no motivation for either team to use the buyouts before this summer.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:04 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Absolutely no motivation for either team to use the buyouts before this summer.
... Other than optics.

Remember that there's really also no reason for them NOT to do this. Having the buyout available to them and them choosing not to use it would send a HUGE message to the rest of the league's players when UFA time comes around: sends a horrible message to players who might be considering signing in that city.

I can imagine that, if either the Rangers or Canadiens choose not to buy out either guy despite having this new clause tailor made for them, that they'll have the league, the PA, and fans lighting a fire under their arse about it.

Pressure put on them by the league almost guarantees that they get bought out.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:13 AM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
... Other than optics.

Remember that there's really also no reason for them NOT to do this. Having the buyout available to them and them choosing not to use it would send a HUGE message to the rest of the league's players when UFA time comes around: sends a horrible message to players who might be considering signing in that city.

I can imagine that, if either the Rangers or Canadiens choose not to buy out either guy despite having this new clause tailor made for them, that they'll have the league, the PA, and fans lighting a fire under their arse about it.

Pressure put on them by the league almost guarantees that they get bought out.
What if they are claimed for half price leaving their former teams for the other half.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:18 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
What if they are claimed for half price leaving their former teams for the other half.
That only happened on re-entry waivers (calling a guy BACK UP to the NHL from the minors) which in all honesty neither the Habs nor Rangers were ever going to do anyways.

Also: they eliminated re-entry waivers in the new CBA, so it's not even a thing anymore.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:35 AM
var

Wonder if it's possible that MTL uses the leverage they have by being able to control Gomez's hockey possibilities for this year to the extent that they get him to sign a league min contract for MTL. With that kind of power, even if MTL didn't want him on the team, they could get a fourth rounder or something for a league min Gomez contract. If he instead is set free to UFA, they give him that freedom but get nothing for it.

var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:53 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by var View Post
Wonder if it's possible that MTL uses the leverage they have by being able to control Gomez's hockey possibilities for this year to the extent that they get him to sign a league min contract for MTL. With that kind of power, even if MTL didn't want him on the team, they could get a fourth rounder or something for a league min Gomez contract. If he instead is set free to UFA, they give him that freedom but get nothing for it.
I'm not quite sure about the new CBA, but under the old one you weren't allowed to sign a player you bought out for one year. I'd think there's something similar in the new deal, so your idea won't work.

Not even considering that there is no way to force Gomez to re-sign with the Habs after he was bought out.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I believe that Olesz failed his physical before training camp started for the Hawks, so he would be ineligible to be bought out.
How Olesz ever became a high first round draft pick is beyound me. He never showed or played like one.

Well, I guess every team has made mistakes.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:17 AM
IslesNorway

DiPietro should be bought out but will he? No

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:26 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
DiPietro should be bought out but will he? No
When it comes to the Islanders, I know he is already bought out, but can they get Yashin's three remaining years with this clause. Even if they wait for the summer they can still remove two years of dead end cap money, or would that not make any sense?

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote