HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
01-16-2013, 04:42 AM
GilliesGirlie

vCash: 500
This whole thing is a mess! If he has personal issues he owes it to SnoWang and should fill them in, fans don't need to know the details but SnoWang do need to know.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:56 AM
Faterson

Newsflash... Višňovský staying in Europe for at least 2 more weeks.

The source of the Višňovský quotes below from yesterday (Tuesday) is a Slovak tabloid newspaper, but the journalist Marián Korbel seems to have an exclusive line on Višňovský, because most of the news about Višňovský has originally come from this tabloid recently. So the quotes should be trustworthy.

Here is what Višňovský says in the interview:

http://www.pluska.sk/sport/hokej/lub...avam-doma.html

Quote:
Wasn't it your intention to reach an agreement with the NY Islanders that would allow you to play your farewell game for Slovan in Prague today, and then you would join your NHL team in New York?

I can't fly overseas right now anyway. For family-related reasons, I need to stay in Slovakia for at least two more weeks.

What's it all about?
A private matter. My son has health issues, it's not serious, but it will take some time before he recovers. I'm not going to discuss this in the media.

So what are you going to do over the next two weeks?
I asked the Islanders via my agent to give me their permission to play in the KHL for Slovan over the next two weeks. If they reject that, then I'll just be practicing in Bratislava with the boys. And then, I suppose I'll fly overseas.
Of course, Slovan will be departing on a 3-game road trip to Siberia and Kazakhstan, many thousands of miles away from Bratislava. (First game on Friday, last one on Tuesday.)

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:16 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post

The source of the Višňovský quotes below from yesterday (Tuesday) is a Slovak tabloid newspaper, but the journalist Marián Korbel seems to have an exclusive line on Višňovský, because most of the news about Višňovský has originally come from this tabloid recently. So the quotes should be trustworthy.

Of course, Slovan will be departing on a 3-game road trip to Siberia and Kazakhstan, many thousands of miles away from Bratislava. (First game on Friday, last one on Tuesday.)
Can't see the Islanders granting him permission to play for fear of injuries especially as both Joensuu and Bailey returned from Europe injured. And with Slovan embarking on such a massive trip he should just stay at home if his son is ill.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Can't see the Islanders granting him permission to play for fear of injuries especially as both Joensuu and Bailey returned from Europe injured. And with Slovan embarking on such a massive trip he should just stay at home if his son is ill.
Yeah, it would have to be accepted... Situation looking much better for Slovan now, with the 2 trades in recent days. They got the ex-NHL defenceman Tomáš Mojžíš 3 days ago, and today's news is that former LA Kings try-out (and Manchester Monarchs player), center Juraj Mikúš is joining Slovan: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post57665691

So, I suppose Slovan could now make the KHL play-offs even without Lubo, although his presence would certainly help.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
What's it all about?
A private matter. My son has health issues, it's not serious, but it will take some time before he recovers. I'm not going to discuss this in the media.

My son has health problems which I need to tend to, or at least tend to over the phone via conferencing with my wife, and I'll be hundreds if not thousands of miles away...

Oh? The doctors in NY? They aren't as good.

Why can't I be in touch on the phone while I'm in NY? (Looks at wrist, which is devoid of a watch) I gotta go. I gotta thing.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:40 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

The latest news about his son being ill and that is the reason he can't come over, yet not serious enough to prevent him from still trying to play for Bratislava is probably the most disappointing development to date. It's actually really sad to me. He continues to look worse at every new development and now he's playing the the sick child card. It's nothing serious though because he still wants to practice and probably travel with the team.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
My son has health problems which I need to tend to, or at least tend to over the phone via conferencing with my wife, and I'll be hundreds if not thousands of miles away...

Oh? The doctors in NY? They aren't as good.

Why can't I be in touch on the phone while I'm in NY? (Looks at wrist, which is devoid of a watch) I gotta go. I gotta thing.
To go away overseas long-term for 3+ months, and to go on a 3-game road-trip for 5 days or so, are very different things.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:49 AM
JKP

Man, am I sick of all this drama with this guy.

This needs to get settled one way or the other.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:09 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

so his son will miss him??? whatever. i've moved on. if he comes in and produces, i won't be booing. if he comes in and is doggin' it, i'll boo him like i was booing oleg on 75% of the nights (... but those other 25% ....oleg oleg oleg oleg, oooooleggggg oooooolegggggg)

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 01-16-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:28 AM
MichaelK

Quote:
To go away overseas long-term for 3+ months, and to go on a 3-game road-trip for 5 days or so, are very different things.
Wrong again. The issue is that he is claiming that he needs to remain in Europe for 2 weeks but at the same time he wants permission to travel with KHL to Siberia. If his son is that ill that he cannot be in the United States during that time why can he be away in Siberia?

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:34 AM
Faterson

I've already explained that. If he is to go away to America, the reasonable assumption would be he would stay there for 3+ months. If he goes to Siberia and an emergency with his son occurs, I'm sure Slovan would release him to return to his son right away on the first flight.

In any case, for the child and for Lubo's wife, I'm certain it's a lot more comforting to know he'll be back with them in 5 days or so.

The next road trip for Slovan (and the last one this season) begins only on February 13th, by which time he should be on Long Island.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Snow should tell Vis: stay and care for your son. Join us in 2-3 weeks. BUT, do NOT play 1 KHL game.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:06 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I've already explained that. If he is to go away to America, the reasonable assumption would be he would stay there for 3+ months. If he goes to Siberia and an emergency with his son occurs, I'm sure Slovan would release him to return to his son right away on the first flight.

In any case, for the child and for Lubo's wife, I'm certain it's a lot more comforting to know he'll be back with them in 5 days or so.

The next road trip for Slovan (and the last one this season) begins only on February 13th, by which time he should be on Long Island.

No need for Lubo's wife and child to be without him, for those 5 days or so. Since Snow is very unlikely to greenlight his playing, he will be at home to comfort his wife and son.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Vitto79

rotoworld.com saying he will report the Isles after taking care of personal matters

not sure if that means he is done personal matters or if it is 2-3 weeks. Regardless he will report and then likely get traded at the deadline to say SJ

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Snow should tell Vis: stay and care for your son. Join us in 2-3 weeks. BUT, do NOT play 1 KHL game.
Lubo said he would accept if Snow tells him that, and would just be practicing to keep in shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
rotoworld.com saying he will report the Isles after taking care of personal matters

not sure if that means he is done personal matters or if it is 2-3 weeks.
In 2-3 weeks. Read the interview I translated for you above. Those are first-hand statements from Višňovský, in a reliable translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Regardless he will report and then likely get traded at the deadline to say SJ
I would prefer my favorite NHL team, the LA Kings, to make amends, at the very end of Lubo's NHL career, for all that happened over the last 5 years. The Kings could easily afford him this season, and he might be useful for them in defending the Cup. For Lubo to experience a Bourque moment, that would be something. Unlike 5 years ago, the Kings now have Doughty to carry most of the weight on his shoulders in terms of (offensive) defence.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:36 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

So then he should retire and stay with his son if this is legit. He doesn't get to play the sympathy card and eat it too. I have kids and had to spend time away, for far less money than Vis, and I found a way to make it work for all of our best interests. If his child has a significant problem then he should retire from the NHL, play in the KHL, and be done with it. But he doesn't want to do that. Why? Because he wants to keep the NHL open as a future employer for one last paycheck with a club desperate for a once top pair blueliner who might have a top four season left? Yeah, no chance for that, huh? It's all about his family though.

Bullstuff.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:

I would prefer my favorite NHL team, the LA Kings, to make amends, at the very end of Lubo's NHL career, for all that happened over the last 5 years. The Kings could easily afford him this season, and he might be useful for them in defending the Cup. For Lubo to experience a Bourque moment, that would be something. Unlike 5 years ago, the Kings now have Doughty to carry most of the weight on his shoulders in terms of (offensive) defence.
Given whats just happened recently, I doubt it would be anything like a Bourque moment.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
steveat

I told you guys he wanted to finish off playing the last bit of the season for his team. THEN report to us. well, 2 weeks..that puts us at the end of the month that he will be here. At least he's been playing hockey...he will probably retire from the NHL. It doesn't make sense for him to come back next year, especially after he already moved his family.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:24 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
If his son was sick and he needed to "tend to him for two weeks" how is being away for half of that time doing anything for him?

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
If his son was sick and he needed to "tend to him for two weeks" how is being away for half of that time doing anything for him?
Explained above in post #136.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:35 AM
kasper11

If the issues with his son are legit, the best thing for all parties would be to let him play in the KHL this year and toll the contract until next year.

What is the point of him joining the team three weeks into a shortened season? He would have missed 20% of the season by the time he comes back. I would much rather have him play a full season next year when he could contribute more to the team (and have more trade value).

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:36 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:

That's BS. The NHL lets players go home all the time for family emergencies, child birth, etc. Vis wouldnt be stranded here if something came up with his kid, and I'm sure he'll have a heck of a lot easier time getting a flight back from the Eastern US then he will from freaking Siberia in the middle of winter.

The guy's talking out of both sides of his mouth. He's out of excuses now. Be a man, suck it up, honor the million dollar contract that you signed, and move on with your life.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
If the issues with his son are legit, the best thing for all parties would be to let him play in the KHL this year and toll the contract until next year.

What is the point of him joining the team three weeks into a shortened season? He would have missed 20% of the season by the time he comes back. I would much rather have him play a full season next year when he could contribute more to the team (and have more trade value).
That would be very reasonable.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post

I hope the isles toll the contract and don't give him permission to play in the KHL.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I hope the isles toll the contract and don't give him permission to play in the KHL.
Right. Making him as mad as possible is the best way to get him to return to the NHL.

Wouldn't he be more likely to return, and perhaps agree to play an entire season with the Isles, if the Isles agreed to meet him halfway in his current difficult situation?