HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm ok with landing those players if we are a genuinely bad team, which we are.

But it shouldn't be because Bergevin is trying to put PK "in his place" more than he cares about winning.
I agree. I just meant that there is a silver lining to letting Subban sit at home cause his contracts demands are insane.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
I dont know about you but I can handle them losing this season if it means Jones, Druin, Mckinnon or Barkov.
hell yeah I could lol.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I'm ok with landing those players if we are a genuinely bad team, which we are.

But it shouldn't be because Bergevin is trying to put PK "in his place" more than he cares about winning.
It's not about putting PK in his place, but it's also a new start for Bergevin as a GM in the NHL and he isn't going to cave in on his 1st contract dispute. PK is allowed to ask for money, but Bergevin is also allowed to have a philosophy going forward in which players have to respect

Old
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I fear a bad start to the season without Subban and the stupid crowd start chanting his name.
He is a fan-beloved player. I know from an establishment standpoint it sucks that this would pressure them into making under-optimal move, but Subban just happens to be a pleasure to watch play. He is an entertainment piece of his own, part of the team's new image and spirit.

I know they are afraid of throwing money to the wind with him, but he allows them to generate quite a bit of it.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:54 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's not about putting PK in his place, but it's also a new start for Bergevin as a GM in the NHL and he isn't going to cave in on his 1st contract dispute. PK is allowed to ask for money, but Bergevin is also allowed to have a philosophy going forward in which players have to respect
On the contrary, it sets a good precedent for Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Tinordi.

If a player is dynamite on his 1st contract like Subban has been, they can get an excellent second contract.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So you are comparing treating each player evenly to not signing players until the offseason? They are like apples and oranges and that makes no sense.

Ofcourse Gally should go through it, he might be the most talented player we have had in a long time but he is still a hab and this is a team sport if I remember correctly. Those two years are for the protection of the team, the players should understand that.

What Gainey did was beyond idiotic for everyone, the two year bridge is an intelligent way to avoid signing massive contracts before you know a players skills. Not signing until the offseason is a great way to lose assets for nothing, Gainey was quite exceptional at that.
Hmm not re-signing everybody until the end of the year is treating everybody the same. Whether you find it stupid or not is irrelevant. Point is it was the Team's philosophy and it was the same thing go everybody. It was a policy. A dumb one, granted, but a policy nonetheless.
It is just as dumb to think every single kid coming out of their ELC is only worth a 2year deal.

What protection are you talking about exactly? Are you scared that PK will become a flop?
What's the risk here? Kid is already a top D, so, what's the problem??
Did Pittsburgh not protect itself when they offered close to 9M to Crosby for 5years right after his ELC? Not comparing both, PK won't get close to 9M. But point is, when you have a young star that has already stepped up more than once, you don't need to wait before offering a great deal right away.
Look at PK's progression from the O to the AHL to the NHL, this kid has excelled in his roles and he has developed twice as fast as others, so imagine where he'll be 2years. I rather give him a bigger cheaper deal now than a small crap contract now and then see him ask for 8M.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:05 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Hahaha not 1 game played yet this season and the Tank boys are back.

You guys are unbelievable.

OMG PK not signed, garantees a losing season

Old
01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post

The third worst team in the NHL is missing its number 1 dman (Subban, contract despite) and its number 1 forward (Plekanec, injury).

Yeah, we're a lock for the playoffs.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
BERGEVIN SIGN PK SUBBAN NoW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And PK, SIGN WITH THE HABS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

I think we've offered him perfectly good options and as mentioned before it's about earning your keep. It's not like he's being offered chump change. He's trying to fleece us, Bergevin is in no way trying to fleece PK. Everyone who we signed (not from FA) has put in the requisite amount of time and effort. If PK was around as long as Gorges, Price, Pleks (a bit longer ago - contract-wise), then fine, he's "proven himself", but this trend of players coming in, being flashy and getting a fan following as not much more than rookies (PK has been a beast, but still only 2 seasons) is just not the way the hockey establishment works. It reeks of basketball's huge egos. Anyway, I'd like to know more about the offers and counteroffers before 100% condemning him, but I think we can say with decent confidence that he's asking for more than what his teammates have received (in the cross section of putting in the time). Not cool PK, not cool.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The third worst team in the NHL is missing its number 1 dman (Subban, contract despite) and its number 1 forward (Plekanec, injury).

Yeah, we're a lock for the playoffs.
First of all we're not the 3rd worst team in the NHL. Just a much better taem that had a lot of things go wrong last year.

Second, nothing to indicate either guy will be out long term. Plekanec is day to day and PK could be signed any day.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
And PK, SIGN WITH THE HABS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

I think we've offered him perfectly good options and as mentioned before it's about earning your keep. It's not like he's being offered chump change. He's trying to fleece us, Bergevin is in no way trying to fleece PK. Everyone who we signed (not from FA) has put in the requisite amount of time and effort. If PK was around as long as Gorges, Price, Pleks (a bit longer ago - contract-wise), then fine, he's "proven himself", but this trend of players coming in, being flashy and getting a fan following as not much more than rookies (PK has been a beast, but still only 2 seasons) is just not the way the hockey establishment works. It reeks of basketball's huge egos. Anyway, I'd like to know more about the offers and counteroffers before 100% condemning him, but I think we can say with decent confidence that he's asking for more than what his teammates have received (in the cross section of putting in the time). Not cool PK, not cool.
That's bullcrap. PK has been more important to this team in the past 2 years than Gorges, for example. He is in his right to ask for a relatively high contract, and stick to his cannons. He is selfish because he wants to play for this team a long time?!

Old
01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
First of all we're not the 3rd worst team in the NHL. Just a much better taem that had a lot of things go wrong last year.

Second, nothing to indicate either guy will be out long term. Plekanec is day to day and PK could be signed any day.
Don't even bother, i swear he does it on purpose just to get a response.

I remember the Lockout thread.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:14 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Don't even bother, i swear he does it on purpose just to get a response.

I remember the Lockout thread.
I'll wait to see what excuses you polyannas come up with at the end of the season.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
I'll wait to see what excuses you polyannas come up with at the end of the season.
I don't need an excuse. I just happen to have enough hockey knowledge, to know that the Habs have a much better team than was presented last year.
If you can't see it, i don't know what to tell you.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Capitano

Quote:
I don't need an excuse. I just happen to have enough hockey knowledge, to know that the Habs have a much better team than was presented last year.
If yoy can't see it, i don't know what to tell you.
Playoffs are attainable for sure, but I would like to know your opinion on how well you think we can actually do?

In my opinion there are 4 class teams in the East. Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, and New York - not necessarily in that order, but that's the class. Everybody else is more or less even imo - us included.

So yes, playoffs are always possible in today's NHL imo, except if you're the Leafs apparently lol.

But signing PK isn't as much of a priority for us because we're not one of those 4 class teams imo. We can afford to let him sit where our current team sits imo.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:20 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
If yoy can't see it, i don't know what to tell you.
They're a marginally better team, but the difference between 15th place and 8th place is huge.

Without Subban, they are probably an inferior team though.

They could of course sign Subban any day, and then I'll maintain my prior prediction of 11th-15th place, but without Subban, I'll assume 14th-15th place, and I think that's sad.

And yes, if the Habs do badly, you will need to come to terms with the fact your predictions were wrong.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
gusfring

Tinordi-Subban
Emelin-Seth Jones

I Like It!!!

Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
3 years at 4.5 million each or sit at home all season and the Habs would have a better draft pick.
I would be a bit insulted at the idea that Montreal thinks I'm only worth $500,000 more than Cam Fowler in Anaheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Tinordi-Subban
Emelin-Seth Jones

I Like It!!!
Montreal finishes 29th. Calgary finishes 18th. Calgary wins the lottery and selects Seth Jones. 30th place team selects Mackinnon. Tanks for nothing.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

I just meant that there is a silver lining if they do lose.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I would be a bit insulted at the idea that Montreal thinks I'm only worth $500,000 more than Cam Fowler in Anaheim.

Montreal finishes 29th. Calgary finishes 18th. Calgary wins the lottery and selects Seth Jones. 30th place team selects Mackinnon. Tanks for nothing.

While I would prefer PK Subban, they are comparable players.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
That's bullcrap. PK has been more important to this team in the past 2 years than Gorges, for example. He is in his right to ask for a relatively high contract, and stick to his cannons. He is selfish because he wants to play for this team a long time?!
P.K hasn't been more important, different players = different roles... You're acting like P.k is the be all end all player for Montreal but it just truly isn't true. Rumors have said that he isn't very well liked in the dressing room as is and now he'll likely miss the Toronto game do you think his teammates are going to greet him with open arms or are they going to think he's a selfish little punk. The Canadiens like to sign their young players to two year contract bridges to see if they can be consistent in their play before giving up big money. It wouldn't even surprise me if P.K is traded, I don't want him to be traded obviously but before going on a rampage I'll look at the player or players we received and go from there. He is selfish quite honestly for now he doesn't deserve to have a contract like Eberle or Hall. I thought P.K would be different but he is only thinking about himself and the more money he can get, if you're that confident in your abilities sign a short term contract and prove you can be a true #1 d-man.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Meehan knows the organization is under strong pressure from the fans and media. He's trying to use this as an advantage to get what he wants, and that's a fair strategy.

The question is : is Bergevin ready to start the season without not only one of his best player, but also his more marketable player right after a lockout that pissed everyone off? There's obviously a "political" risk, even stronger if the Habs loses the first few games.

Unless PK refuses to miss the start the season and tell Meehan to sign a shorter deal, I expect him to miss a few games.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Just wondering, do you actually cheer for Montreal?

It's really not clear.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Just think about MDZ now that's taking one for the team play another two solid years and we'll sign you to a long term contract with big money.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Jigger77

Quote:

Agreed, it's becoming really annoying.

Closed Thread