HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nic Petan - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2013, 43rd overall, Winnipeg)

Old
12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
2nd in WHL for points
1st in ppg

What are the flaws to his game, other than size?
Not much. Honestly.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Not much. Honestly.
Do you think he will be a steal? Or is his size looking to cause problems at the pro level?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Do you think he will be a steal? Or is his size looking to cause problems at the pro level?
Besides goalers, tiny players are often the hardest to predict because for every one that makes the NHL there are about 50-70 that don't.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Could be a steal, but that depends on where he gets picked and how he transitions to pro.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Could be a steal, but that depends on where he gets picked and how he transitions to pro.
These are always questions to ask of any junior player and maybe even more so with smaller ones.

But just like his fellow team mate Brendan Leipsic, he doesn't play like he is 5'9" and under 170lbs. (Leipsic is a little thicker but also a year older so both could project at 180 in the NHL I would think).

Both guys go to all areas of the ice and their smarts and strong work compensate, at least to a degree , for their smaller stature IMO.

At this point Petan would be a great deal for any team with a pick after 30 and a team might even try top 30 with him.

Petan was ranked 63 for the 13 draft by the hockey writers top 90 listing but this is too low given his work ethic and determination.

He had a 61-14-21-35 line as a 16 year old alst year but was used sparingly in the playoffs. A deep playoff run and continued success could bolster Petan, and questions about him, into the 1st round.

He currently leads the winter hawks with a 38-26-38-64 line and is a good bet to finish top 5 in WHL scoring

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
MaxLacoste

I could see a team like Montreal to draft him in the late 2nd round. Montreal have 3 picks in the second and Timmins don't mind picking a smaller player if he got talent. We have a lot of small but tenacious players (Gallagher, Hudon, Desharnais, Gionta) and they do a really good job for us. When their team lose, they are never the reason. I would love to see Petan in Montreal, look like he could ba a excellent Top6 fowards.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Tiranis

Ok, so what will it take for this kid to climb into the first round? I don't watch him every game but I've seen a decent number now and he looks excellent. Stacked team or not, he seems like a real talent to me (I don't see much in terms of downsides). Is the size concern really that big? I mean, Tyler Ennis overcame the size issue in his draft year and got drafted in the 1st round. Petan is not only not ranked in the 1st, he's still ranked behind Bjorkstrand by CSS.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

74pts in 43 games with a ridiculous +46 rating

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
thegutter

vCash: 271
i dont see why he wouldnt go late in the first, i know its a fairly deep draft, but the kid is good.

thegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutter View Post
i dont see why he wouldnt go late in the first, i know its a fairly deep draft, but the kid is good.
Could be like a Rocco Grimaldi. Skill is there to be a first-rounder, but size issues will force him early into the second round, possibly the middle of it.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Could be like a Rocco Grimaldi. Skill is there to be a first-rounder, but size issues will force him early into the second round, possibly the middle of it.
The difference between a small player like Grimaldi and a small player like Petan IMO, has more to do with their body types.

Petan still looks like he's 12 or 13 when I look at his face and he's 5'9". Grimaldi on the other hand, is built like a fire hydrant and can already grow a full beard (could his draft year too) but is 5'6".

Petan is dominating his league, being undersized and NOT physically develped (similar to RNH, not RNH before anyone jumps all over this). Grimaldi has way less room for improvement, due to his body being significantly more developed with very little room to grow.

Also both guys games are quite different, Rocco is a shoot from everywhere, buzz saw type guy.

Petan IMO, is a more silky play maker, with a more cerebral game (he doesn't shy away from contact either).

Just an opinion. I think Petan is a 1st round talent, but I wouldn't want my team to take him there.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
85 pts in 49 games + 49

Higher PPG than RNH had in his draft year. Currently has a higher PPG than MacKinnon.

How is this kid not a first rounder?

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Passchendaele

Tyler Ennis is/was the same size as Petan and got drafted in the 1st round.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

In a normal draft he'd be a lock for the 1st round. This one deep, but even still there is likely to be 1 GM prepared to take the chance between 20 and 30. Boom or bust, but if he booms.....

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Tyler Ennis is/was the same size as Petan and got drafted in the 1st round.
Petan is a bit bigger - Ennis is a weasel, but I understand the reference.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:47 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

IMO Petan would fit perfectly in Nashville

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

How is his speed? that's often the difference between a small elite junior player with lots of skill. Basically the difference between a RNH and a Corey Locke. You can get away with being a shade slow in junior if your skills are top notch, but not in the NHL.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
How is his speed? that's often the difference between a small elite junior player with lots of skill. Basically the difference between a RNH and a Corey Locke. You can get away with being a shade slow in junior if your skills are top notch, but not in the NHL.
His only "flaw" would have to be his size. That's really it, skatings fine. I agree with him fitting in well with Nashville.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:56 AM
walker33

i see this kid as an eberle clone. small undersized scorer who will get taken late first round and become a stud after a few years of seasoning and dominating in the whl. if you can score at this level at his age, you probably can score at any level considering he is 17 and rated as the number one player in tsn whl ratings at a 95.7 which is pretty impressive as well.

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Show Me Your TDs

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
5'9 better than 5'6, maybe he adds half an inch still

nucks take him 30th

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Watched him very closely the last two nights. Very hard to guage his draft status given his contrast in size to points.

I wouldn't say he plays big, but rather he really understands how to play small. He evades physical pressure very well and finds cracks in the defense at an exceptional level. He did lay one nice check in Friday's game. Balance is good. Skating is above average. Fast and agile. Pretty good shot and vision, you guessed it, very good.

Another consideration is the team he plays for and the sytle they play. Portland is a run and gun team. Most of the damage Petan inflicted was off the rush going hard to the net and having Leipsic and Rattie feeding him with a nice pass. How many points would a guy like Petan put up on a team like Edmonton? Look at Dylan Wruck as a comparison. (Not comparing them as prospects but rather production level in the WHL).

As a small guy Petan has done all he can to raise his draft stock. He is a surefire 2nd rounder that is flirting with the 1st. Will be interesting to see how he fares in the playoffs where the play will be a bit tighter.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Watching him right and he is a consistent threat everytime he touches the puck.

While size will always play a factor, he eliminates much of the physical rigors by being extremely slippery and evasive. He attacks the zone with quickness and energy, which forces bigger players to catch up with him and minimizes any physical impact opponents have on Petan.

He also isn't afraid to skate through traffic, which is great for a small player because if he always stayed in the perimeter, defenders will have a easy time sandwiching him against the boards.

He is a confusing player to defend against.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Daneurism

How did Jackson Houck look?

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
5'9 better than 5'6, maybe he adds half an inch still

nucks take him 30th
I could see them using the 29th pick to snag him.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
How did Jackson Houck look?
Hardworking as always. A bit unnoticeable, but that is what happens when a player relies purely on hardwork. Hardwork is rarely noticed on a consistent basis. He has some above-average skills but the beauty of Houck is that he plays with 100% effort everytime he is on the ice, and when one of those times results in a goal, its one of the goals you say "wow, now he busted his !@# for that one!". The great thing is, you say the multiple times during the year, not just once or twice.

BUT, this is a Petan thread. Houck has his own, google it haha

Petan was great last night. 90% of the time he had the puck, he was a threat. Like Zjh said, he knows he is small so he plays small. He makes full use of his small size and ability to elude bigger players.

He attacks the zone with speed and energy, doesn't mind attacking traffic either, and makes it hard for defenders to use their size against him. He may be 5-9, but that way he plays, he doesn't matter if he is 5-9 or 6-10, players have a hard time touching him.

He is a sneaky player, likes to move around to find open areas and sneak behind defenders.

Normally, 5-9 players aren't picked in the 1st, and I am in the school that agrees with that notion. The only times they should be picked is if they are consistent, have the ability to dodge physical play, and has shown to convert his skills into points. Petan has all of this and he just may slide into the 1st round.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote