Jamie Benn

Old
01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Jamie Benn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413438

Restricted free agent Jamie Benn was not at training camp for the Dallas Stars on Sunday and a deal does not appear to be close at this point.

"I'm optimistic that we'll have him back on the team, but it won't be today," Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told TSN (and ESPN.com) on Sunday. "We'll focus on the guys we have here, because it's a short camp and we need to get ready. But in the meantime, certainly we'll keep working away at trying to get Jamie re-signed."

The 23-year-old played in 71 games with the Stars last season, recording 26 goals and 37 assists.

In three seasons in Dallas, Benn has 160 points in 222 games.

If this guy is truly available, the Bruins should definitely make a pitch. 26 goals 63 points from the 6 ft. left winger last year.

This guy's a stud, could be a great/lethal pairing with Seguin for years to come.

Starting point would be Krejci, one of our top prospects (Spooner, Knight, Koko) and probably a high draft pick, if not a first.

Thoughts? Do you like this kid? Do you like him enough to give up something substantial because he won't come cheap.

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:07 AM
the negotiator

I like Benn a lot but the package you suggest is waaaay to rich for me.

the negotiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
He's not being traded. He's one of the best young power forwards in the game. They would probably ask for Dougie Hamilton to start with.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Benn would be a great fit in Boston but despite his contract holdout I doubt the Stars will move him.

I'd do Krejci + Knight + 1st rounder or a 2nd instead

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Yeah let's trade Krejci for a guy who will get the same stats but cost more money+picks

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Bruin4Life

i think benn is good but hes definitely over rated on hf. Consider what it took to get a guy like Thornton or Kovalchuk?

a #1c,Top forward prospect and a first is a vast overpayment. Especially for a guy as good as Horton (and I'd still take Horton over Benn as Horton brings other elements to his game)

Bruin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
He's not being traded. He's one of the best young power forwards in the game. They would probably ask for Dougie Hamilton to start with.
Agreed, but we can always try. I think the Stars will think twice with him especially after gifting Neal to the Penguins

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:14 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Benn is a beast, way better than Horton. He's a legit star in the making. I would give up a lot to get him.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Bruin4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Benn is a beast, way better than Horton. He's a legit star in the making. I would give up a lot to get him.
Horton:
Goals per game:0.38
Assists per game:0.36

Benn:
Goals per game: 0.32
Assists per game: 0.41

How is this way better? I guess this is why HF members don't get offered GM jobs

You can't go with "Hes younger therefor he will just get better!" as no one can tell the future (i.e. people saying Kessel would not get as much goals without a Savard like player).

Old
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin4Life View Post
Horton:

Benn:

How is this way better? I guess this is why HF members don't get offered GM jobs

You can't go with "Hes younger therefor he will just get better!" as no one can tell the future (i.e. people saying Kessel would not get as much goals without a Savard like player).
Watch the games and you'll see why computers don't get offered GM jobs

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin4Life View Post
Horton:

Benn:

That's ridiculous. Did Benn play on a Stanley Cup contender?? Seriously, did you use Carmine to gather those stats for you? See how those decisions worked out for the Sox. I'm glad you're not the GM. Also, does Benn have the concussion history that Horton does? Listen to the scouts, the analysts who are paid to know who's a star and who isn't. You are so misguided in this.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Bruin4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Watch the games and you'll see why computers don't get offered GM jobs
You still fail to explain why he's better. Why are you willing to trade "alot" to get him?

Old
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Krejci fits in very well on this team. I see no reason to trade him unless it's a can't-miss deal. For all the whining about his inconsistency, he likely puts up 60-ish points (just my guess) from here on out AND shows up in the playoffs.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
don

I also doubt the stars trade him; and I really doubt the center peice of any trade they might do would be a D-man because they are very thin there. They almost have to get a top C in return. Having said that, I would be willing to overpay to get Benn and would offer up a package of Krejci, Marchand, Knight, and Bartkowski for him. An NHL #1 C, an NHL 2/3 LW, a good prospect and a NHL ready D-man who can't break into the line-up on his current team for both Benns.

Just think it would be easier to sign Jaime if his brother is included in the deal.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I also doubt the stars trade him; and I really doubt the center peice of any trade they might do would be a D-man because they are very thin there. They almost have to get a top C in return. Having said that, I would be willing to overpay to get Benn and would offer up a package of Krejci, Marchand, Knight, and Bartkowski for him. An NHL #1 C, an NHL 2/3 LW, a good prospect and a NHL ready D-man who can't break into the line-up on his current team for both Benns.

Just think it would be easier to sign Jaime if his brother is included in the deal.
No way. Krejci AND Marchand?

At least you recognize that it's an overpayment.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Bruin4Life

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Did Benn play on a Stanley Cup contender?? Seriously, did you use Carmine to gather those stats for you? See how those decisions worked out for the Sox. I'm glad you're not the GM. Also, does Benn have the concussion history that Horton does? Listen to the scouts, the analysts who are paid to know who's a star and who isn't. You are so misguided in this.
Ahh your right. I'm not sure why I included the reining dominance of the 2003-2010 Florida Panthers.

The concussion discussion differs from player to player/ from hit to hit. Look at the difference between Bergeron-Savard.

Benn is a great player and I'm sure he's top line material but I'm not going to mortgage the future to get him.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
These are pretty easy stats, dude. And they're used not to say that Horton is better, but as evidence against Benn being "way better".

If Benn was in fact a significant improvement, then it stands to reason that there would be a statistical metric that could be used to show that, no?

I don't believe Jamie Benn to be "way better" than Horton either... And that's before looking at numbers. The concussion is a concern (for sure), but until I see it as a problem for Horts, I won't criticize his play.

I happen to think very highly of both players.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
No way. Krejci AND Marchand?

At least you recognize that it's an overpayment.
It's going to take a #1 C in any deal to get Benn. It is also going to take another NHL ready player. Looking at our roster Marchand is the easiest to replace with the least damage.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
It's going to take a #1 C in any deal to get Benn. It is also going to take another NHL ready player. Looking at our roster Marchand is the easiest to replace with the least damage.
I disagree (almost) completely. Not only does that offer not improve this team, but Marchand is part of the core here and not someone you can easily replace at all.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Bruin4Life

Quote:

21 points in 32 playoff games and can be counted on to score at least 20 goals a year and could push 30 goals a couple times (can come close) is the easiest player to replace

NO! Just no ok! A player like Kelly is easily replaced.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
I like Benn to but they would be foolish to trade him and will not.

01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
GodTukka*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413438

Restricted free agent Jamie Benn was not at training camp for the Dallas Stars on Sunday and a deal does not appear to be close at this point.

"I'm optimistic that we'll have him back on the team, but it won't be today," Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told TSN (and ESPN.com) on Sunday. "We'll focus on the guys we have here, because it's a short camp and we need to get ready. But in the meantime, certainly we'll keep working away at trying to get Jamie re-signed."

The 23-year-old played in 71 games with the Stars last season, recording 26 goals and 37 assists.

In three seasons in Dallas, Benn has 160 points in 222 games.

If this guy is truly available, the Bruins should definitely make a pitch. 26 goals 63 points from the 6 ft. left winger last year.

This guy's a stud, could be a great/lethal pairing with Seguin for years to come.

Starting point would be Krejci, one of our top prospects (Spooner, Knight, Koko) and probably a high draft pick, if not a first.

Thoughts? Do you like this kid? Do you like him enough to give up something substantial because he won't come cheap.
I love me some Jamie Benn but he will be resigned, if not Joe Nieuwendyk should be canned.

I would probably give up something...fairly substantial for him (Krejci + Hamilton pehaps?) Dude is so underrated and will continue to blossom into a beast

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I see Benn for Horton as a fair exchange. Krejci possibly also value-wise, although if I were the B`s brass I`d try to make the package bigger, perhaps trying to fill the 3rd line spot and offering either a prospect or pick to do so.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
GodTukka*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
I see Benn for Horton as a fair exchange. Krejci possibly also value-wise, although if I were the B`s brass I`d try to make the package bigger, perhaps trying to fill the 3rd line spot and offering either a prospect or pick to do so.
So damaged goods + junk for a premium young power forward is fair?

I love Horton as much as the next guy but that's a bad deal

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
....This place is getting worse every day haha

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote