HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
01-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Luca

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Right. Making him as mad as possible is the best way to get him to return to the NHL.

Wouldn't he be more likely to return, and perhaps agree to play an entire season with the Isles, if the Isles agreed to meet him halfway in his current difficult situation?
Buah! Like that ********** would honor his contract next season either. He just would use next excuse.

Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Which I think we would all be fine with. Just be done with this.
I wouldn't. I don't want this old guy & his declining skills right now. I definitely don't want him next year.

It is high time the Islanders stop being the last breeding ground for ancient NHL players just looking for 1-2 more seasons.

The Isles should aim higher than Lubomir Visnovsky to be in their top 4 next season. A LOT higher.

Plus, how can anyone trust this guy to show up for next season. That's all we need. the club assuming Vis will be here, they don't go out & get another top 4 Dman, and then September rolls around and all of a sudden his parents get really sick, and then his house gets flooded, and then he gets a really bad rash, and whatever other reason he'll have to not report on time.

Get him back here, and if you can trade him ASAP. if you can't, then let him finish out this year and then be done with it.

I don't fault the Isles for trading for him or for how they've handled this situation. But I think tolling the contract, with the intention of him actually playing here next year is the last thing they should do.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I have zero faith, that even after agreeing to play a full yr next season, that Vis could be counted on to report next season.So, I see no reason why Snow would give Vis the benefit of the doubt and no reason to try to appease him.

Isles worried about losing the appeal? Then give him the 2-3 weeks with his family, but refuse to consent to him playing any khl games during those 2-3 weeks.

Then when the 2-3 weeks are up, he's either reported to the Isles or coming up with another excuse. At that time, toll his contract.
Actually, I do have faith he will report next year. His only other option would be retirement. And I think he would want at least consideration for the Olympics. I don't know if the IIHF would allow him to play while he was skipping out on his contract.

As for letting him play in 2-3 weeks, that is fine, but I would rather have him next year when he would have more value. Especially since I don't think the Isles will make the playoffs even with him this year.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I posted a quote from Vis, saying he was not reporting.
That's quibbling. You're quoting an English-language press release that you can be 100% sure wasn't worded by Višňovský but prepared by his agent. In contrast, I've been listening to Višňovský's statements in the original Slovak language for weeks now. At all times, Višňovský made it clear that if he is legally obliged to report to the Isles, he will, stressing every time that he would have reported to the Isles back in September if there had been no lockout.

Višňovský simply believes (or believed, until KHL president Medvedev gave him up) that he has (or had) a legal right to finish playing his season in the KHL instead of in the NHL. After all, the KHL boss had been saying much the same thing about Kovalchuk and other NHL players.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
That's quibbling. You're quoting an English-language press release that you can be 100% sure wasn't worded by Višňovský but prepared by his agent. .
Quibbling? Is that what we call a quote from Vis, proving your statement wrong?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I don't fault the Isles for trading for him or for how they've handled this situation. But I think tolling the contract, with the intention of him actually playing here next year is the last thing they should do.
100% right. If he won't retire, get him here, and try to trade him somewhere he wants to go. If you can't and he plays like crap, put him on waivers and send him to the minors. Wait on his retirement papers.

All this can be avoided by Visnovsky doing the right thing: retiring. He was set up... By Medvedev. He chose to trust the untrustworthy (Medvedev) and spurn the organization that would hold to its promise (the Islanders). The longer he plays this out, the more he compounds his mistake.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Newsflash... Višňovský staying in Europe for at least 2 more weeks.

The source of the Višňovský quotes below from yesterday (Tuesday) is a Slovak tabloid newspaper, but the journalist Marián Korbel seems to have an exclusive line on Višňovský, because most of the news about Višňovský has originally come from this tabloid recently. So the quotes should be trustworthy.

Here is what Višňovský says in the interview:

http://www.pluska.sk/sport/hokej/lub...avam-doma.html

Of course, Slovan will be departing on a 3-game road trip to Siberia and Kazakhstan, many thousands of miles away from Bratislava. (First game on Friday, last one on Tuesday.)
"I can't fly overseas right now anyway. For family-related reasons, I need to stay in Slovakia for at least two more weeks".

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Hipietro

I don't believe a word this guy says. If his son is actually sick then I wish him all the best, that's not something to mess around with.

First he challenges the trade to remain with the Ducks, then he wants to stay in KHL, and now he wants to remain with his son?

He's making **** up. If his son was actually sick he would forget playing for Slovan also, he wouldn't ****ing ask for permission to play the last few games of the season. What a jackass.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
82isles

So whose been watching his son during his long bus trips?

82isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Queensdevil

I'd be more inclined to believe the story about his son if he didnt try and void the trade as soon as it happened...

Queensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82isles View Post
So whose been watching his son during his long bus trips?
What bus trips? Slovan has 25 opponents in the KHL, and needs to take a flight to reach every one of them, except for Prague. There is Višňovský's wife, of course.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
That's quibbling. You're quoting an English-language press release that you can be 100% sure wasn't worded by Višňovský but prepared by his agent. In contrast, I've been listening to Višňovský's statements in the original Slovak language for weeks now. At all times, Višňovský made it clear that if he is legally obliged to report to the Isles, he will, stressing every time that he would have reported to the Isles back in September if there had been no lockout.

Višňovský simply believes (or believed, until KHL president Medvedev gave him up) that he has (or had) a legal right to finish playing his season in the KHL instead of in the NHL. After all, the KHL boss had been saying much the same thing about Kovalchuk and other NHL players.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
IslesNorway

I have a feeling that in a few days Lubomir will somehow manage to get injured putting his feet up whilst watching TV. He will issue a statement saying he will not be able to come to LI for the next 4-6 weeks due to this mysterious injury

Ah, the desperation...

Seriously though, I agree with Botta. The islanders should tell him to get to LI as quickly as possible or his contract will be tolled and he'll be stuck on the Island next season too, which would effectively end his career

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Queensdevil

@StapeNewsday: No date set for Lubomir Visnovsky to report to #Isles yet, but his agent confirms that Visnovsky is coming to LI.

Queensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensdevil View Post
@StapeNewsday: No date set for Lubomir Visnovsky to report to #Isles yet, but his agent confirms that Visnovsky is coming to LI.

Also coming to LI.....next Christmas

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I agree with Botta, just inform Visnovsky to stay home to care for his son. Family always comes first so his contract will be tolled and he'll be expected next season. He'll retire most likely and the whole saga is over. Let's move on and be done with it.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I agree with Botta, just inform Visnovsky to stay home to care for his son. Family always comes first so his contract will be tolled and he'll be expected next season. He'll retire most likely and the whole saga is over. Let's move on and be done with it.
This

I dont want to down play his kids illness but what kind of man uses his kid as a scapee goat.

I have a 5 year old daughter and would never use her as an excuse for my actions.

Obviouslly the "illness" is not serious because he would not be travling and playing with his team and he would not have put 2 weeks as a time table....

This guy Sucks and is a major distraction and we really dont need anyone here that doesnt want to be here, even Nabby situation was not as bad as this guys. We got a good room from everything I gather and this guy can only disrupt that...

Viz is a good Hockey player an would have given us some much needed help on the blue line but give me Hickey or Laundry giving it 100% effort over Viz who could careless about this team.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
HammyNyIslesCupCrazy

Neil Sheey's twitters:

@ICEHockeyAgent Lubomir Visnovsky said he looks forward to reporting to the NYI after tending to "personal reasons" which have kept him from reporting.

HammyNyIslesCupCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Fantom

Call his bluff IMO. Tell him to take care of things as needed but Toll his contract. He might just retire at this point. I would play hardball with him if i am GARTH.
He either reports when the season starts or toll his contract if possible. Trade him only if he reports and only if you get what he wants in return. My concern is that he will not care if he shows ans just play sloppy.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This

I dont want to down play his kids illness but what kind of man uses his kid as a scapee goat.

I have a 5 year old daughter and would never use her as an excuse for my actions.

Obviouslly the "illness" is not serious because he would not be travling and playing with his team and he would not have put 2 weeks as a time table....

This guy Sucks and is a major distraction and we really dont need anyone here that doesnt want to be here, even Nabby situation was not as bad as this guys. We got a good room from everything I gather and this guy can only disrupt that...

Viz is a good Hockey player an would have given us some much needed help on the blue line but give me Hickey or Laundry giving it 100% effort over Viz who could careless about this team.
ive said at this point i dont want him here. the other guys in the locker room are going to be pissed at him and the fans will blast him. Plus, making him come here after all this nonsense makes the team look even worse in the media.
The thing that sucks is, with him here, our defense would be far from bad.
Streit-Vis
Amac-Hammer
Martinek-Carkner
Hickey/Finley

That isnt a cup winning defense, but i dont see why it cant get into the playoffs with some progression from guys like bailey/okposo and a revitalized Boyes. Plus, the powerplay would be pretty solid, on paper at least.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
ive said at this point i dont want him here. the other guys in the locker room are going to be pissed at him and the fans will blast him. Plus, making him come here after all this nonsense makes the team look even worse in the media.
The thing that sucks is, with him here, our defense would be far from bad.
Streit-Vis
Amac-Hammer
Martinek-Carkner
Hickey/Finley

That isnt a cup winning defense, but i dont see why it cant get into the playoffs with some progression from guys like bailey/okposo and a revitalized Boyes. Plus, the powerplay would be pretty solid, on paper at least.
How so? IMO it would look much worse had the Isles just given in and let Vis do and go wherever he wants. That would basically show the rest of the league that if you end up getting traded to the Isles, all you have to do is shed a few tears and they will let you have your way.

The Isles are doing the right thing by standing firm on this and forcing him to report. If anything it makes them look better, IMO, for not standing for these kind of bush league man-baby actions.

Secondary Note: I don't see any way the Isles would pair Streit with Visnovsky. I get what you are saying that this defense would obviously be better/deeper with him here, but those two guys playing together would be a mistake, IMO.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Plus, making him come here after all this nonsense makes the team look even worse in the media.
I disagree. Other then some writer named Harrison on yahoo nhl, I have not seen the media taking potshots at the isles. Several are asking what Vis thinks he is doing, in a fight they don't think he can win. A few have pointed out how the isles need Vis.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Quickdraw2828

Quote:
ive said at this point i dont want him here. the other guys in the locker room are going to be pissed at him and the fans will blast him.
one good game and everything will be forgiven.

i've never really believed in the locker room distraction thing or guys playing half- assed because they're unhappy to be somewhere. players almost always take players side when it comes to player management squabbles anyway. besides, he wouldn't have the nerve to play half assed when he has to face everyone else in the locker room.

bottom line, we are really weak at the position without him and likely not a playoff team. the islanders already can't sign quality free agents so we certainly can't afford to lose players under contract. you can't let players pull this crap.

we need him. period. he's under contract and i don't give a rat's ass whether he wants to be here or not.

Quickdraw2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
gordie43

If it wasn't for being an islander fan, I would have no idea what "tolling a contract" means.

So we got that going for us...which is nice

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
burana800

Our D SUCKS... big time. If he will report and plays well I don't care about this "Drama"

burana800 is offline   Reply With Quote