HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
According to his agent. The exact opposite of an unbiased source.

Ask Bergevin he'll tell you there are only a few minor details to be worked out and the deal will be done shortly.
Exactly, and we know that the latter is the truth.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
According to his agent. The exact opposite of an unbiased source.

Ask Bergevin he'll tell you there are only a few minor details to be worked out and the deal will be done shortly.
Agents will always raise a big stink (especially in markets like Montreal). Meehan knows exactly what he's doing by putting this sort of message in the media.

Hoping this does not get ugly.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
sharks9

Has there been any indication of PK asking for or Bergevin offering a NTC? Because Bergevin should try giving him one in exchange for PK lowering the term of his contract. Sure he won't be signed for as long but at least he has the security of knowing where he's going to play.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
RC51

PK is a very emotional player, he has the right to hold out until the season starts, the fans wont mind that. BUT now if PK holds out past that date, upon his return he will suffer a few BOOS for the first time in Montreal. He sure wont like this at all. MTL fans will judge him at his NEW pay scale. Make a mistake and he will hear about it from the fans.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
PK is a very emotional player, he has the right to hold out until the season starts, the fans wont mind that. BUT now if PK holds out past that date, upon his return he will suffer a few BOOS for the first time in Montreal. He sure wont like this at all. MTL fans will judge him at his NEW pay scale. Make a mistake and he will hear about it from the fans.
I don't think PK gets booed unless he holds out and asks for a trade.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This is where the main problem lies in our difference of opinion.
Somehow, according to you, PK deserves less cash and a smaller contract for the sole purpose of being a RFA. It doesn't matter whether or not he actually is better with more potential and contributes more than any other player on the team (Price being the sole exception perhaps). Just because he's a RFA he deserves less. It makes no sense.
Listen if PK had this superstardom potential but struggled out of the gate and was used more as a 2nd pairing guy, then everybody would agree that PK should sign a bridge contract, just like most agreed with Price's 2nd deal, he hadn't proven himself capable of truly being a #1 keeper and actually lost his spot to Halak. PK already proved himself as a top Dman. He's not going to decline at 23 and start playing like a 2nd pairing guy.
Just like other guys around the league proved themselves enough to get a bigger deal after their ELC contracts.
Being a RFA doesn't mean you just have to shut up and accept wtv deal management throws your way. When a player is developing super fast and already proved himself to be better than the rest, than you can pay him top dollars. Makes absolutely no sense for him to be relied upon more than any other D, therefore risking injury more than the rest, and be expected to agree to less cash.
Imagine if at your work your boss told you that you're the one that is going to be relied on the most out of a group of 6, you will work in the toughest situations, handle the toughest assignments but yet, you won't be making the most cash. Doesn't add up right?
RFA vs UFA is a good bargaining chip, but it doesn't mean that a player can't compare himself to others who are worse and play less, but make more.
Like I said in a previous post, we agree to disagree because your opinions are those of Don Meehan and mine are those of Marc Bergevin.

So let's keep it at this. Enjoy the season

Old
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think PK gets booed unless he holds out and asks for a trade.
The only team I would trade him to is Columbus if he would ever ask for a trade.

Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Exactly, and we know that the latter is the truth.
No, we don't.

Old
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
This is a good point from you, and I would bet that MB has this in mind as well. Too much money at too young an age puts a lot of pressure on a player...recipe for disaster. The money for PK will come eventually...

Old
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The only team I would trade him to is Columbus if he would ever ask for a trade.
Why?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Why?
To get their first overall pick

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Or Dallas for Benn

Old
01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
This is a good point from you, and I would bet that MB has this in mind as well. Too much money at too young an age puts a lot of pressure on a player...recipe for disaster. The money for PK will come eventually...
I'm sure the 'It's for your own good' argument doesn't add much to the negotiation process.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Why?
He could end up being our Phil Kessel type of trade down the road

Old
01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I suppose you could change your future moves to compensate but personally I'd prefer if MB stuck to his guns because it is for the better of the team in the long run. That is of course assuming that his objective is to win the cup.
Is it really better for the long run? I'm sorry, how do you replace Subban? When Kaberle and Markov are UFAs next summer, if Subban isn't playing for Montreal, do you really rely on Nathan Beaulieu to carry the puck? Do you overspend on the free agency market for someone who really isn't a Montreal Canadiens fan since growing up just because you want to save a little on the cap today?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
He could end up being our Phil Kessel type of trade down the road
I don't think it will be that easy to get two 1st round picks from a bottom-dweller.

Other GMs see what happened to Burke. Never trade your 1st rounder when you're a bad team, it can bite you in the ass.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:39 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundreddollarbill View Post
http://awinninghabit.com/2012/08/15/...-to-his-peers/

Please read this everyone. Sure he can be dangerous at times, but he is a very very good hockey player and we need to sign him long term.
Thanks for the link. It's interesting !
What's corsi ? And how's calculated ?

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Is it really better for the long run? I'm sorry, how do you replace Subban? When Kaberle and Markov are UFAs next summer, if Subban isn't playing for Montreal, do you really rely on Nathan Beaulieu to carry the puck? Do you overspend on the free agency market for someone who really isn't a Montreal Canadiens fan since growing up just because you want to save a little on the cap today?
They still have another full season ahead, it's the 2014 summer they become UFA

Old
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
And that’s (the bolded part) what Bergevin is doing: in a league with a salary cap, you can’t win if you do not have a team contractual structure.
You're talking about a contractual structure when he opened the vault and gave 2.5 M per year to a deluxe grinder? OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Has there been any indication of PK asking for or Bergevin offering a NTC? Because Bergevin should try giving him one in exchange for PK lowering the term of his contract. Sure he won't be signed for as long but at least he has the security of knowing where he's going to play.
NTC's can only cover UFA years basically. Or if you are a year away from UFA and sign an extension with a NTC, then your NTC kicks in.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
They still have another full season ahead, it's the 2014 summer they become UFA
It's 2013. This summer is the summer of 2013. Next summer is Summer 2014.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:41 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
That's normal for players who tend to handle the puck as much as PK does...but it blows me away that people think he's not good defensively.

I think his offensive game is way behind his defensive game
Seriously! After all: he was a +9 on a 28th-place team last year. Not that the +/- stat is everything, but it shows at the very least a 2-way ability.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Haha way so skate your way out of that one.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
You made it seem like if they are going to be UFA in a few months and leave. We still have a year and a half to make moves and sign UFA's.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Haha way so skate your way out of that one.
Not really. It's a semantics argument. When people don't have anything to say to your logic, they try to pick at ways of how you said things in the peripheral.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Capitano

Quote:
He hasn't signed yet so MB obviously doesn't think it's the right deal to sign.

I never said I don't want PK, but when PK signs it will be for what works for MB - and he has the habs best interest in mind, not just giving PK whatever he wants in mind.

And again, I don't think we're contenders this year. PK is an RFA so he doesn't have much leverage, even an offer sheet isn't much leverage because we can just match it and all of the PK fans are happy.

But I'm a hab fan, not just a PK fan, and MB is building the habs. Yes, PK is a big part of that but if you ask me MB holds all the cards here...no expectations from us this year means PK will sit until he signs a short term deal imo or signs an offer sheet.

Closed Thread