HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Bolland...

Old
01-16-2013, 06:52 AM
bulletwwings

vCash: 500
Bolland...

I've been lurking for months now, and reading what everyone thinks we should do about our #2C problem, and I don't think I heard anyone mention Bolland. I'm sure all of you have seen this by now, but apparently the brass is gonna try him out as the #2C. I just thought it was worth a mention and also to the mod who hates on Stalberg on a daily basis...apparently he's gonna be on the PP. Can I ask how that makes you feel?

bulletwwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

The reason why most people haven't thought to use Bolland as the #2 centre is not because the majority don't believe he can handle it, but rather that Q and Bowman have seemed reluctant to use Bolland in that role and/or take him out of a shutdown role.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
zytz
lumberjack

I don't think he's had great chemistry with Hossa either. But basically what HtB said- same reason no one expects Sharp to get a look there.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Bolland does such a great job as the 3C that most people would want him to stay there and then we can acquire a talented 2C, making our team much better overall than moving Bolland up to 2C. That's my opinion anyways. If you move him up, you took an amazing 3C up to 2C and opened up a hole at 3C. Bolland might not be as good a 2C as other options out there, so then your 2C isn't great, and the 3C you then have to acquire wont be as good as Bolland was.

I would prefer another option. Bolland is too good at the 3C role to move if you ask me.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
bulletwwings

I agree with all of you I just think its is better than having Kruger there at least for now, and besides I feel like he at least deserves a shot at the revolving door position I mean everyone else has had a shot why not Bolland...

bulletwwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The reason why most people haven't thought to use Bolland as the #2 centre is not because the majority don't believe he can handle it, but rather that Q and Bowman have seemed reluctant to use Bolland in that role and/or take him out of a shutdown role.
Yeah...I see no reason to believe Bolland can't be a very strong 2C. But it only makes the 3rd line that much weaker. Bolland has always been in that shutdown role, but his line was shutting anyone down last year. When you are saddled with borderline NHL players like Bickell and Frolik, what do you expect?

Personally I would love to see that Pirri & Saad are ready, but who knows if they are. You could try Bolland/Pirri at 3C/2C and put Saad on the wing on third line...has to be an upgrade over Bickell.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I'd prefer to see Pirri just thrown in there for the year and see what he does. Bolland there would be my second choice.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Bolland needs to stay at 3rd line center.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
stingo

Bolland is better suited as our 3rd line center.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Bolland needs to stay at 3rd line center.
That line was horrible at keeping pucks out of the net last year.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'd prefer to see Pirri just thrown in there for the year and see what he does. Bolland there would be my second choice.
I would like to see if Pirri can stick there. He definitely deserves a shot.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
hawksfan50

Well--Bolland as a shutdown 3c was only a flat ZERO last year in +/- ...some can blame Bickell and Frolik for that --but they were not that poor defensivel--if they scored more ,Bolland's +/- would have been higher-but honestly I did not think Bolland himself was that special last year 'shutting down" top centres of other teams ..

APART from faceoffs -where as 2c he still willbe as poor as he was at 3c -it is not Bolland's strong suit-I actually think you will see him elevate his scoring to the expected levels one expects from a top 2c ...playing with Sharp and Kane ougto to provide 40-50 assists pace in a normal 82 game season (but pro-rated back for 48 games) for Bolland --so if he adds merely 20 goals pace for an 82 game projection -but again pro-rated back for 48 games n (he had 19 last year as a 3c despite the alleged albatrosess of Bickell and Stalberg -he ought to get at least the pace of a 60 point season over 82 games --or maybe even 70 points pace (for 82) if he got say 30 goals and 40 assists instead or any combo totalling 70...
60 points pro-rated back for 48 games is 35 points --a 70 points pace is about 41 pts...

CAN he do that? --yes IF KANE gets back to his expected ppg pace and not 80% of it as in last season,and IF sharp maintains his expected pace of scoring of 66-71 points projected out for an 82 game season but pro-rated back for 48 games (66 pts in 82 = 39pts in 48 games)..

So we ought to expect all 3 to provide over a .8 ppg ...I think Bolland can do that
because he willbe playing with such talented wingers and will pick up lots of assists anyway because they will get their goals --he ought to elevate his own gOAL SCORING PACE (he does have a good shot --just look back to hois daysin London) because his wingers can set him up far better than frolik and Bickelll could--so EVEN THOUGH hewon't get featured PP time -I am not worried about him elevating his scoring pace to the level Blackhawks fans expect a premier 2c in the league to provide.

The only worry for Bolland willbe as I said-his faceoffs --and his holding up against injury- 2 contradictory thoughts on that--as a 3C one could argue he faced higher injury risk due to the extra "work/energy" it takes to lay shutown C --leading to greater tiredness and when you get expended from effort you risk alertness and so are prone to less avoidance of hits coming at you -so as a @c he ought to be less tired and more alert to avoid such injury causing hits;on the other hand as a 2C he will face harder checking lines than he did as a 3C matching against top offensive lines who eschew hits for scoring -so in that case he might get more injury causing hits agains him ...Maybe these 2 contradictory items will cancel out to not really cause any more or any less susceptibility to injury than he had before/ we shall find out...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Sarava

I think Bolland can be one of the better #2 centers in the NHL.

I think the best time he had on the 2nd line was in 2011 leading up to Kubina's cheap shot to his head. He had if I remember right 21 points in his last 22 games before the cheap shot, and he had been on the 2nd line with Marian Hossa. For whatever reasons the Hawks really haven't given him a chance since then. And having 1 bad period then throwing him back on the third line (as has been done a few times) isn't really giving him a chance.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
That line was horrible at keeping pucks out of the net last year.
I blame his linemates more than Bolland

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Well--Bolland as a shutdown 3c was only a flat ZERO last year in +/- ...some can blame Bickell and Frolik for that --but they were not that poor defensivel--if they scored more ,Bolland's +/- would have been higher-but honestly I did not think Bolland himself was that special last year 'shutting down" top centres of other teams ..
If your 3rd line center plays the other teams best line "even" all season, you've got a good thing going.

Think about it.

Would you be happy if our top line simply scored as much as the checking line did against them?

slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I blame his linemates more than Bolland
Yeah. Me too. But those linemates will be largely the same this year. So...why keep up with something that doesn't work.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I don't think he's had great chemistry with Hossa either. But basically what HtB said- same reason no one expects Sharp to get a look there.
I recall he and Hoss having a hot stretch a few seasons ago.

Edit: Sarava already touched on that.

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Cullksinikers

Bolland is the best in-house option right now to try at first at the second line center slot. They should still pursue a trade, though.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:28 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
If your 3rd line center plays the other teams best line "even" all season, you've got a good thing going.

Think about it.

Would you be happy if our top line simply scored as much as the checking line did against them?
No ****. Bolland's minutes were absolutely brutal last season, even is a big win. And being even after playing like wet garbage for the first two months of the year is an even bigger win.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
hockeydoug

Trade him now while his value is so high.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Not a fan of trading Bolland at all.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Bolland should retire a Hawk. Hard worker, extremely dedicated to the team and the city, one of the few guys who stays and trains here in the offseason and versatile.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Cullksinikers

I love the mental effect Bolland causes.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
If you are trading Bolland, you better get an NHL center back or you have just turned yourself into a borderline playoff team.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Trade him now while his value is so high.
Idk I'd be pretty pissed off if the Hawks traded Bolland, unless they got something great in return.

I can see why people want him to play 2C, and I think he's capable of doing it, but he's been so effective shutting down opposing stars and getting under their skin as the 3C. I like him playing with Shaw as well

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote