HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Oh baby, Thomas is fighting. Big fight, punches thrown all out. Heeeextall landed a 5 punches in a row after Thomas landed one, but CT showed something by taking the punches and still standing and then returning a few punches back. Excellent fight with fists just flying. I'm impressed that CT can do this.
The "McIlrath effect".

01-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

REVIEW:

TALBOT: Excellent game and if it weren't for the bad bounce goal, he'd have been the #1 star of the game. He's second in the AHL in saves.

MILLER: Great with the puck, shields it very well with his body as I noted in prior games, but not good without the puck, which is why he's in the minors right now.

JEAN: Needs to stop pretending he's Alexey Kovalev and try to split the defense. It works sometimes in the AHL, but it will not work in the NHL. He needs to bulk up and use his 6-4 frame better. But a good player who had a solid game.

McIlrath: Quick, fast, sees the ice well, but stands around way too much. He looks like a quarterback who thinks that once he's made the pass, he can just stand there and admire it from afar. Got his first pro point tonight.

Yogan: Nothing special. AHL 4th line quality of play.

Parlett: Pretends to be Zubov, but clearly isn't.

Klassen: Not bad. Uses his size and decently smart. I like him actually.

Bourque: Ball of energy. Runs all over the place, fast, hits (one very big hit), tries to participate on offense now that he's playing with Miller (and Yogan).

NB: If he could improve his skating just a tiny bit, he'd be in the NHL. I love his game, but for whatever reason he just never took that extra step to make the NHL.

Kolarik: Solid two way play as usual, but nothing phenomenal. AHL first liner, but without much NHL future.

Haley: solid two way game. The difference between him and NB is that he fights better, but NB is the better player.

Thomas: tries really hard, you can't help but root for the kid. I hope he starts scoring real soon.

Grant: The Dubinsky of the AHL.

Segal: AHL second-third liner for the rest of his career. Scored an easy goal, tries hard, but not much skill at all.

Tessier: scored a goal tonight, but nothing special otherwise. Bottom-6 guy in the AHL for the rest of his career.

Weibe: See Tessier, but with an assist instead of a goal tonight.

Blueline: Should be sued for malpractice. Seriously, my great grandmother can play better and she's been dead since 1959.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Thanks for the updates man, much appreciated.

The scouting reports are a great bonus.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Glad to hear CT doing well. I doubt he won't start scoring soon. If he's getting the chances the points will come eventually, be it later this season or next.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Wow. Thomas fighting. There's something I never would have expected out of him.

He and McIlrath are best friends though...so anything could happen.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Tyutin trade 2.0.

At this point, I would stick to SEL and NCAA drafting strictly.
Yeah they are picking up some great talent here. The Swiss are starting to look good, too in the NLA.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:12 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Yeah they are picking up some great talent here. The Swiss are starting to look good, too in the NLA.
Calling a Swede a Swiss is like calling an American an Australian...

Old
01-16-2013, 06:30 AM
E-Train

That CT Fight was a real slugfest. Impressed that he can handle himself like that.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:43 AM
NYR Viper

Thomas isn't a "soft" player. That's part of the reason why many believe he will succeed at the next level.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Thomas isn't a "soft" player. That's part of the reason why many believe he will succeed at the next level.

I must say, my view of CT improved just from that fight. The kid's got grit and balls. He's never afraid to go into the dirty areas, and the fact that he's willing to fight is great. He's a little like Callahan, but smaller and a little slower, though with a significantly better shot. It's not impossible for him to play on the third line.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
SnowblindNYR

Any chance CT becomes a top 6 player?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Any chance CT becomes a top 6 player?
Yes. That's what he's best suited for.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
The "McIlrath effect".
It certainly can't hurt to have a guy on your side who you're good friends with and who could throw them with pretty much anybody. If his presence can give the rest of the lineup some extra balls, that's great news.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Hopefully next year's team will be better than this years:

LIKELY ADDITIONS

C Lindberg
C St. Croix
RW Fast
RW McColgan

LIKELY SUBTRACTIONS

C Wiebe
LW Haley
RW Kolarik
RW Segal
Maybe Miller (or Lindberg) will make the Rangers and leave Hartford.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

LIKELY ADDITIONS

C Lindberg
C St. Croix
RW Fast
RW McColgan

LIKELY SUBTRACTIONS

C Wiebe
LW Haley
RW Kolarik
RW Segal
Hrivik, McIlrath and maybe even Jean could also be possible departures depending on what happens over the second half of this year and in next year's training camp. I certainly expect Hrivik and McIlrath to at least get cups of coffee with the big club.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hrivik, McIlrath and maybe even Jean could also be possible departures depending on what happens over the second half of this year and in next year's training camp. I certainly expect Hrivik and McIlrath to at least get cups of coffee with the big club.

Actually, I would agree with that. Hrivik may even get a cup of coffee this year, and McIlrath just needs to adjust to the faster pro game. This isn't Traverse City anymore. If he were a forward, he'd be in the NHL right now because his size, shot and skating is up par with what one would expect for an NHLer, but because he's a defenseman, he needs to get more seasoning before stepping on the ice knowing Ovechkin or Cindy might be opposing him. Next year seems to be a good estimate for his NHL debut.

As The Undertaker adjusts more to the AHL, I'd like to see him get some PK and 5-on-6 time. It's a good way to build awareness and defensive skill. They haven't done that yet because they don't want to rush the kid, but I hope it will come in February.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
BBKers

Quote:

LIKELY ADDITIONS

C Lindberg
C St. Croix
RW Fast
RW McColgan

LIKELY SUBTRACTIONS

C Wiebe
LW Haley
RW Kolarik
RW Segal
LIKELY ADDITIONS
D Noreau (gets ELC)
RW McColgan (gets ELC)
C Lindberg (signed)
RW Fast (signed)
C St. Croix (signed)

LIKELY SUBTRACTIONS
One to three of D Delisle or D Niemi or D Pyett (all RFAs)
D Vernace (UFA)
FW Haley (NYR?)
RW Segal (UFA)
LW Grant (RFA)
C Wiebe (AHL contract)

NCAA
D Skjei
C Fogarty
FWD Nieves

EUROPE
D Andersson
Fwd Spelling

...plus next years picks

Possible on NYR
D McIlraith
C Miller
C Lindberg
RW Fast
LW Hrivik
FWD Haley
C Kolarik
C Jean

Last edited by BBKers: 01-16-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Kundratek with 12 goals on the year...I called that trade as being horrible the minute it happened.
Yet you continue to discount the fact that he wanted out. No idea how you can continue to call the trade bad but continue to ignore that important point.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yet you continue to discount the fact that he wanted out. No idea how you can continue to call the trade bad but continue to ignore that important point.
you dont take anything just because a player wants out unless he has an attitude problem.... you wait it out and get the best deal you can. So I guess Bouchard was the best offer, maybe Sather thought he was trading with the Wild

Old
01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
LIKELY ADDITIONS
D Noreau (gets ELC)
RW McColgan (gets ELC)
C Lindberg (signed)
RW Fast (signed)
C St. Croix (signed)

LIKELY SUBTRACTIONS
One to three of D Delisle or D Niemi or D Pyett (all RFAs)
D Vernace (UFA)
FW Haley (NYR?)
RW Segal (UFA)
LW Grant (RFA)
C Wiebe (AHL contract)

NCAA
D Skjei
C Fogarty
FWD Nieves

EUROPE
D Andersson
Fwd Spelling

...plus next years picks

Possible on NYR
D McIlraith
C Miller
C Lindberg
RW Fast
LW Hrivik
FWD Haley
C Kolarik
C Jean

1. I don't see Spelling coming over. He needs to establish himself in the SEL first.

2. I don't see Skjei going to the AHL either because he's barely average at the NCAA level. I'm not sure he's capable of playing ECHL-level hockey right now. He's neither strong enough nor polished enough for the ECHL, much less the AHL. This is not a knock on him as a prospect, just a statement of where he's at in his development as a player. Give him time.

3. Same for Fogarty. We've all see Yogan struggle to make Hartford this year and Fogarty is not viewed as a superior prospect. He's two years younger than Yoggi, so that tells you something about where he would be today. They are obviously not identical players, but there's no reason to believe Fogarty is ahead of Yogan in his development.

4. Nieves: different type of player than either Fogarty or Yogan, but again, no reason to suspect he's ahead of them in his development considering he's the youngest, least experienced and least physically developed of the three.

5. Noreau: Will play AHL hockey, depends on how well. I think he'll be a third pair guy in his rookie season.

6+7. Lindberg and Fast: both are first liner in the SEL, so there's no reason for them not to be top-6 guys in the AHL. I see the SEL as a superior league to the AHL.

8. Jean: I don't think he makes the NHL out of the training camp. He's kind of the Anisimov of the AHL, tall, but skinny; decently skilled, but not tremendously so; solid skater, but not as good as Kreider or Hagelin. I think with addition physical development, he'll get better, but I have him pegged for the AHL next year.

9. McIlrath: likely to play in the NHL next year, though not sure it will be from the start of the season. Depends on his learning curve.

10. St. Croix: AHL-bound, probably on the third line behind Lindberg and Newbury.

11. McColgan: Another AHL third liner, behind Fast and Thomas.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
BBKers

Quote:
1. I don't see Spelling coming over. He needs to establish himself in the SEL first.
Agreed. I put him in Europe next year too

2. I don't see Skjei going to the AHL either because he's barely average at the NCAA level. I'm not sure he's capable of playing ECHL-level hockey right now. He's neither strong enough nor polished enough for the ECHL, much less the AHL. This is not a knock on him as a prospect, just a statement of where he's at in his development as a player. Give him time.
Agreed. I put him in NCAA another year (at least)

3. Same for Fogarty. We've all see Yogan struggle to make Hartford this year and Fogarty is not viewed as a superior prospect. He's two years younger than Yoggi, so that tells you something about where he would be today. They are obviously not identical players, but there's no reason to believe Fogarty is ahead of Yogan in his development.
Agreed. I also put him in NCAA another year (at least)

4. Nieves: different type of player than either Fogarty or Yogan, but again, no reason to suspect he's ahead of them in his development considering he's the youngest, least experienced and least physically developed of the three.
Agreed. I alzo put him in NCAA another year (at least)

5. Noreau: Will play AHL hockey, depends on how well. I think he'll be a third pair guy in his rookie season.
Check

6+7. Lindberg and Fast: both are first liner in the SEL, so there's no reason for them not to be top-6 guys in the AHL. I see the SEL as a superior league to the AHL.
Check

8. Jean: I don't think he makes the NHL out of the training camp. He's kind of the Anisimov of the AHL, tall, but skinny; decently skilled, but not tremendously so; solid skater, but not as good as Kreider or Hagelin. I think with addition physical development, he'll get better, but I have him pegged for the AHL next year.
Agreed. Might be a callup if he develops though

9. McIlrath: likely to play in the NHL next year, though not sure it will be from the start of the season. Depends on his learning curve.
Agreed. Check

10. St. Croix: AHL-bound, probably on the third line behind Lindberg and Newbury.
Agreed. Check

11. McColgan: Another AHL third liner, behind Fast and Thomas.
Agreed. Check
Miller and McIlraith will probably replace Halpern and Eminger (both UFAs) next year. I think we are going to lose a couple mid level prospects in trades the next 15 months to go all in these 2 years. The Whale is too stacked with young prospects on a similar level. Have no idea who though...

Old
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Calling a Swede a Swiss is like calling an American an Australian...
To be fair, most people wish they could be called an Australian....

Old
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Haha! As if Kundratek is someone who can demand a trade. At least get a younger return than Bouchard. Brutal. He never had upside.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
17futurecap

Rangers recalled Segal according to the AHL transaction page.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

Old
01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
To be fair, most people wish they could be called an Australian....
I probably would rather be Swiss than Swedish as well

Closed Thread