HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K Subban Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
And again, I don't think we're contenders this year. PK is an RFA so he doesn't have much leverage, even an offer sheet isn't much leverage because we can just match it and all of the PK fans are happy.

But I'm a hab fan, not just a PK fan, and MB is building the habs. Yes, PK is a big part of that but if you ask me MB holds all the cards here...no expectations from us this year means PK will sit until he signs a short term deal imo or signs an offer sheet.
It doesn't matter if Montreal isn't a contender this year. Does Montreal want to be a contender in the near future? That means keeping your drafted, home developed players happy, fed and paid.

Bergevin is building the Habs and he's looking for the best deal possible. He's negotiating in good faith right now. If the negotiation goes sour, he'll have to find a way to make amends. Subban has been rumoured to have been given offer sheets as early as July and hasn't signed it because he wants to be a Canadien. He hasn't pulled a Shea Weber and signed one to force the negotiation. I'd really hope that isn't what Bergevin is waiting for.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
DAChampion

I forsee a meeting in the Habs offices:

Marc Bergevin: You're allowing too many shots and letting in too many goals and spending too much time in the defensive zone.
Michel Therrien: My number 1 dman is not in the lineup, he's holding out for a contract that pays him what he's worth.
Marc Bergevin: No excuses.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Marc Bergevin: You're allowing too many shots and letting in too many goals and spending too much time in the defensive zone.
Michel Therrien: My number 1 dman is not in the lineup, he's holding out for a contract that pays him what he's worth.
Michel Therrien: So why isn't my number one D-man in the lineup?
Marc Bergevin: Well you see, bridge contracts and uhhh...
Michel Therrien: No excuses.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Seriously! After all: he was a +9 on a 28th-place team last year. Not that the +/- stat is everything, but it shows at the very least a 2-way ability.
+/- on its own means little, you need to provide context...and the context as it applies to PK Subba's +9 was that he accomplished that on a 28th place team, that doesn't score many goals, all while facing the oppositions best players EVERY night

I had a twitter war with Team 1200 host Sean Simpson about this last week...he said PK Subban was completely lost in his own end. That just couldn't sit with me lol

Old
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
It doesn't matter if Montreal isn't a contender this year. Does Montreal want to be a contender in the near future? That means keeping your drafted, home developed players happy, fed and paid.

Bergevin is building the Habs and he's looking for the best deal possible. He's negotiating in good faith right now. If the negotiation goes sour, he'll have to find a way to make amends. Subban has been rumoured to have been given offer sheets as early as July and hasn't signed it because he wants to be a Canadien. He hasn't pulled a Shea Weber and signed one to force the negotiation. I'd really hope that isn't what Bergevin is waiting for.
In my opinion it totally matters that we're not a contender. Because if we were a contender then PK would be signed already imo. PK can sign an offer sheet if he wants, he is entitled to do so.

Why is it that MB has to find ways to make amends if negotiating goes sour? Why is PK not at fault at all for his side of things?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Yes because with the new CBA P.K is worth 5.5 to 6 million.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
+/- on its own means little, you need to provide context...and the context as it applies to PK Subba's +9 was that he accomplished that on a 28th place team, that doesn't score many goals, all while facing the oppositions best players EVERY night

I had a twitter war with Team 1200 host Sean Simpson about this last week...he said PK Subban was completely lost in his own end. That just couldn't sit with me lol
Reason why some people think he seems lost in his own end is because he moves a lot compared to the Pylon's he's often been paired with and of course the occocasional blind pass. But I agree with you that it's a ridiculous statement to make

Old
01-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Just sign the ****ing contract PK...

Seriously, for a kid who wants to absolutely stay in MTL and a GM who has no other scenario in mind it sure is taking a hell of a long time...

In the end PK's the one looking like a spoiled brat that's pouting in the corner cuz he isn't getting what Doughty got and that won't fly with the press/fans...

Old
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
New story on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413662

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
It appears that when the Montreal Canadiens open their season at home against the rival Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night, there is a growing likelihood that they will do so without restricted free agent defenceman P.K. Subban.

Subban's agent Don Meehan was contacted by the Montreal Gazette on Tuesday for an update on talks, and the agent's response was not positive.

"No news to report today," Meehan told the Gazette. "We are not close to an agreement."

"We had a long summer to try and get (a new contract) done, it didn't happen," Subban told TSN last week. "So as far as I'm concerned it's out of my control. I can't offer myself a contract, so at this point now I'm just waiting and making sure that I'm keeping myself in shape so that once I get to training camp I'm ready to go."

Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
In the end PK's the one looking like a spoiled brat that's pouting in the corner cuz he isn't getting what Doughty got and that won't fly with the press/fans...
Yup, I have no sympathy for P.K. Subban. Granted, I don't know all the details, but I'm sick of this sense of entitlement from younger players now. You're an RFA. Fall in line.

This kind of stuff never bodes well for the future though. Again, we don't know all the details, but if they are still "far apart" as per the TSN headline this morning, it's got to be getting ugly. I mean, the season starts in three days.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Ciccio1980

Gardiner and kadri for pk

Old
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Gardiner and kadri for pk
how about no?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Yeah coming out with a +9 given his situation last year showed a ton of defensive improvement for him.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
how about no?
No for what? No you wouldn't accept? Because on the Canadiens behalf I certainly would but I wouldn't accept it on the leafs behalf.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Just sign the ****ing contract PK...

Seriously, for a kid who wants to absolutely stay in MTL and a GM who has no other scenario in mind it sure is taking a hell of a long time...

This kind of attitude kills me...

ANYONE on this board, if given the opportunity to negotiate their salary...wouldn't just accept anything that's proposed.

There's a negotiation process, it may not be fun for fans...but I think it's important to respect the player AND the team as they work through it.

There's no need to take it personally...the 'spoiled brat' comments are just ridiculous and immature.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:

ANYONE on this board, if given the opportunity to negotiate their salary...wouldn't just accept anything that's proposed.

There's a negotiation process, it may not be fun for fans...but I think it's important to respect the player AND the team as they work through it.

There's no need to take it personally...the 'spoiled brat' comments are just ridiculous and immature.
He went overboard, but Meehan certainly is asking for too much money. P.K hasn't proven that he certainly can be that true #1 d-man and can be consistent in the NHL. 2 years is too small of a sample size to sign a big long contract.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHab View Post
Yup, I have no sympathy for P.K. Subban. Granted, I don't know all the details, but I'm sick of this sense of entitlement from younger players now. You're an RFA. Fall in line.

This kind of stuff never bodes well for the future though. Again, we don't know all the details, but if they are still "far apart" as per the TSN headline this morning, it's got to be getting ugly. I mean, the season starts in three days.
My thoughts are excatly same, PK aint superstar yet.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
He went overboard, but Meehan certainly is asking for too much money. P.K hasn't proven that he certainly can be that true #1 d-man and can be consistent in the NHL. 2 years is too small of a sample size to sign a big long contract.
How much money is Meehan asking for?

Interesting that you are in on their discussions.

Reality is, only Bergevin, his advisors, Meehan and PK know what he is asking for, or what was offered.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I agree especially since we have no idea what's out there by either side. Having said that, perception is reality. And people in the end will often be on the management side and especially in Montreal where the more money you make....the more people can boo you if you don't produce. Price had it tough...but I can't imagine how tough he will have if he doesn't make the big saves. Same for Subban. Would make no sense to me how Subban and Co would be asking for Doughty money, so I would be tempted to call him some names if true....but since it doesn't make any sense, and since we have no idea if it's true or not....the name calling is indeed sad. Especially since we will be the ones cheering him the day he scores 1.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
What makes you think he's asking for superstar money(8-10 mil/year)?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
First of all...no one knows what Meehan is asking for

Furthermore, if players just got paid for what they've proven...then we'd have a league full of unsigned RFA's. In a perfect world, PK shouldn't get the big bucks until he's proven more, I agree in theory with that

But it's not a perfect world...in reality, most RFA's get paid for what their organization believes they CAN become.

Personally, I can see an argument for both sides...I can see why the Habs want to give him a smaller bridge type of contract...but I can certainly understand why PK Subban and his agent want a big long term contract like many young defensmen have also gotten

No wonder this negotiation has been so tricky...the range of salary/years is so big.

But my gut tells me, with Don Meehan's recent comments in the media...that this is coming to an end soon. As we've learned through the lockout, negotiating through the media is often a tactic used and I don't buy that there's no movement in negotiations, quite the opposite actually

Old
01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What makes you think he's asking for superstar money(8-10 mil/year)?
Even 6mil/year is too much.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
Again...if all teams waited for players to become superstars before giving them a big contract. Then the league would be filled with unsigned RFA's

That's just not how it works

Old
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
How much money is Meehan asking for?

Interesting that you are in on their discussions.

Reality is, only Bergevin, his advisors, Meehan and PK know what he is asking for, or what was offered.
He said publicly that he's looking for the same kind of contract skinner hall and eberle had, don't try to be sarcastic if you don't know anything.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

i agree, i found it very immature in fact to even write these sorts of things.

Closed Thread