HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

$#*! My 1290 Says (Formerly The First Annual Rick Ralph Roast)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Rick Ralph and the Rona Round Table folks (incl. Munz, Beyak) are all good.

I just can't stand those Illegal Curve guys. They sound like a bunch of high school kids bickering (not talking ) about hockey as they play NHL13. LOL
heh theyve improved a lot since the kick FM days. and they put a lot of work into what they do which i appreciate.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Hey Ralph, have to say I rather enjoy you on the pre and post shows as well as every day on the Rona Round table. Maybe it's because I'm an old guy too.

Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Rick Ralph and the Rona Round Table folks (incl. Munz, Beyak) are all good.

I just can't stand those Illegal Curve guys. They sound like a bunch of high school kids bickering (not talking ) about hockey as they play NHL13. LOL
Agreed. The IC guys get pretty annoying sometimes. They have to stop with the cutie inside jokes amongst themselves. Nobody expect each other knows what the heck they are talking about.

And which one of them insisted that the Portland Winterhawks were based in Portland, Washington?

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-15-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
KJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Tried that. Here's the error I got:

An error occurred while processing your request.
There is no city WINNIPEG in the system
I just used the chat function on the Shaw site, asked about the status of Shaw TV. I was told it's free preview until the end of January, and then $9.95/month after that. They asked me if I wanted it added to my account for Feb 1, and I said yes. They said it was done. This took less than 5 minutes.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:53 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Very apt description re illegal curve. They really have no place on a professional radio station. Once 1290 got jets rights they should have axed amateur hour.
Sadly, I agree with this...

Old
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM
RalphyTSN1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1g View Post
Sounds like something my grandpa would say.

Illegal Curve guys >>> Rick Ralph
s1g...my buddy. "Get" means I don't understand how the board works yet as it's quite large. I do "get" what the people do here.

a mime>>>>>s1g

;-)

Old
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyTSN1290 View Post
s1g...my buddy. "Get" means I don't understand how the board works yet as it's quite large. I do "get" what the people do here.

a mime>>>>>s1g

;-)

Old
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Illegal Curve is unbearable. I guess when it was the only hockey dedicated show in town, I didn't notice how bad it was. Now, it just sticks out on 1290 like a sore thumb.

The knowledge and effort that goes into each show IS impressive, but three things would have to change.
1. They need to take turns talking. At too many points in an IC show there is more than one person talking at once. I understand arguing over a point is what makes shows like this great, but there is a way to argue with your buddies in your mom's basement, and a way to argue on air when people are trying to listen. These guys are still in a basement.
2. Less wrestling talk. For a while last year when I was still listening, there was always some sort of extended reference to wrestling that just completely pulled me out of the show.
3. Less inside jokes. I feel bad saying this, as I can't think of a specific example, but again at times the show just feels like you're eavesdropping on a sports conversation going on at another table. There's no effort to talk to the listener, if that makes any sense.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
Fitting in already Ralphy is.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:46 AM
devin1487

Can't catch Illegal Curve anymore as I live outside the province but the amount of work that they put into it is apparent and appreciated.

Back on the main topic, Rick Ralph is neither here nor there but the last thing I would say to describe him is that he sounds too old. [mod]...GO JETS GO

Last edited by Jet: 01-16-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: not necessary.
Old
01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
Illegal Curve is unbearable. I guess when it was the only hockey dedicated show in town, I didn't notice how bad it was. Now, it just sticks out on 1290 like a sore thumb.

They knowledge and effort that goes into each show IS impressive, but three things would have to change.
1. They need to take turns talking. At too many points in an IC show there is more than one person talking at once. I understand arguing over a point is what makes shows like this great, but there is a way to argue with your buddies in your mom's basement, and a way to argue on air when people are trying to listen. These guys are still in a basement.
2. Less wrestling talk. For a while last year when I was still listening, there was always some sort of extended reference to wrestling that just completely pulled me out of the show.
3. Less inside jokes. I feel bad saying this, as I can't think of a specific example, but again at times the show just feels like your eavesdropping on a sports conversation going on at another table. There's no effort to talk to the listener, if that makes any sense.

this is accurate to a T how the show comes across to me.

The guys are knowledgeable and know the hockey, there's no disagreement with that, but it definitly seems that they still don't really "know" radio. I think if they had a serious profesional producer, he'd be able to iron out those kinks in a jiffy, and it would go miles to making it better.

As you said, i often get the feeling i'm just listening to someone elses conversation, and as soon as they move away from something "newsish" that i didn't know, i generally switch stations. It starts to feel like i'm sitting beside 2 people having a conversation on the bus and i just wish i could tune it out, thankfully i can.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Curt in WPG

I've listened to the Illegal Curve guys going back to their days on KICK fm. Their appeal is they aren't pros - they are just a bunch of SuperFans who love hockey and like to talk about it. They do some impressive research considering this isn't their full time jobs and have some good guests. Are they pros? no, not really but it's still an entertaining show. Also, and I think this is important, the show fills a local programming niche and dosn't cost a lot of money. Do you want what CJOB runs Saturday afternoons - paid programming with Lorne "Snooze" Michaels asking hard hitting questions about Jory Capital or the travel show? Give me Illegal Curve anyday.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt in WPG View Post
I've listened to the Illegal Curve guys going back to their days on KICK fm. Their appeal is they aren't pros - they are just a bunch of SuperFans who love hockey and like to talk about it. They do some impressive research considering this isn't their full time jobs and have some good guests. Are they pros? no, not really but it's still an entertaining show. Also, and I think this is important, the show fills a local programming niche and dosn't cost a lot of money. Do you want what CJOB runs Saturday afternoons - paid programming with Lorne "Snooze" Michaels asking hard hitting questions about Jory Capital or the travel show? Give me Illegal Curve anyday.
well i agree that i'd rather have something local and hockey focused, i just think without a huge investment of time or money, just a little bit of work on being in media (not hockey, just media in general) would make the show much less "superfan". I don't think the talking over eachother, weird pointless tangents, and inside jokes are a key part to the "superfan" appeal. Fixing those would only be a benefit

Old
01-16-2013, 10:22 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

To be fair, there hasn't been a lot of interesting hockey/NHL topics in the past 4ish months to talk about. Lockout, lockout, lockout and lockout is about where it started/ended and it is hard to keep that running for 3 hours week after week when everything has already been said ad nauseum.

Although I agree that sometimes it feel like they are the table next to you at the sports bar and you're overhearing their (loud) private conversation.

They feel like the friend(s) you invite over when you want to lower the bar with the wife (reminding her how much worse she could have it) for a few hours of laughs. In fact, I do antagonize the wife with IC on the kitchen radio every Saturday and re-runs in the car when we're driving somewhere and the rest of the 1290 line-up isn't on. Payback is fair play... I have to listen to the in-laws far too often.

Would listen to IC re-runs before turning over to CJOB (and often did during the summer instead of agonizing through CFL coverage).

Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Moe Mantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
well i agree that i'd rather have something local and hockey focused, i just think without a huge investment of time or money, just a little bit of work on being in media (not hockey, just media in general) would make the show much less "superfan". I don't think the talking over eachother, weird pointless tangents, and inside jokes are a key part to the "superfan" appeal. Fixing those would only be a benefit
Exactly.

The things I outlined in my post would be easy to change, or at the very least be mindful of. And you could eliminate the wrestling talk and speak in turn and STILL retain the appeal of the show. you'd actually be AT the table and in the conversation, rather than just overhearing it and mixed in with inside jokes.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Moe Mantha

While on the subject of 1290, I listened a lot during the lockout, and was very impressed by Dennis Beyak. His opinions on the lockout mirrored my own, and were very well thought out and explained. And the guy is no slouch when talking about all the other major sports as well. He knows his stuff - glad we've got him here in Winnipeg.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt in WPG View Post
Do you want what CJOB runs Saturday afternoons - paid programming with Lorne "Snooze" Michaels asking hard hitting questions about Jory Capital or the travel show? Give me Illegal Curve anyday.
oh god yes. IC has problems, but its still worlds better than that jory capital crap or the gardening show. CJOB is a trainwreck on the wknds...the fact that there must actually be some people listening to that stuff is frightening.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Tdoe42

1290 was Brutal during the lockout period.

I was pissed when they took Jim Rome off for the Rona round table when there was clearly no hockey to talk about If anything it should have been a 1 hour show so that they could kept Rome on to break up the lockout talk for a few hours. I had to listen to a Vancouver station in the afternoons just so I would want to listen to H&L.

Curt you are right they arent pro's but im pretty sure Drew Mindel thinks they are! lol I like the show they are fun to listen to when there is more hockey to talk about there is no doubting that.

1290 sucked... I had a self imposed Hiatus from hf... Im just glad this is all behind us!! Go Jets Go!!

Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
SensibleGuy

1290 was fine during the lockout. I'd take lock-out talk over Rome any day...

Old
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
thed00d

I think Rick does a great job with the show, but I do have one gripe. Please, please, please drop the following sayings--"The Little Ladd with Wheels line" and "Mittens". It's not a kids show, it's grown men playing hockey!

Old
01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
I like using Mittens, in fact most people here use it.

Last edited by wpgsilver: 01-16-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
devin1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I like using Mittens, in fact most people her use it.
Little different, an online message board vs. Paid professional. Professionalism never hurts

Old
01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

i like nicknames for lines, don't see a problem with it personally*.

and i love mittens. i wish everyone called him mittens.

I'm just waiting to hear someone beyond this board break out Stomachache, then i'll know i've been successfull.

Last edited by Grind: 01-16-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old
01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Glad they dumped the Rome syndication. I guess he is a love him or hate him type and I know he pulls big ratings (so does Rush Limbaugh) but I am not a fan of the style where the personality becomes the brand or maybe it’s just that I can't warm up to him. There was another wanna be Rome type on 1290 for a stretch as well and he was worse. Just seems like the guys are trying too hard to get “THEMSELVES” over and having all these young guys (the clones) man crushing when they call in with the group speak slang :help

Also it’s just not a great fit for me from a content perspective. He talks allot about the NBA which I can take or leave.....allot about Baseball which I don't like and a fair amount about collage sports which I enjoy watching but don't really need to listen to a show about. Also he can get carried away with the gossip troll type content (steroids)........lastly he seems like a total chach

On the subject of CJOB I have never been able to listen to it because advertising to content ratio if over the top and it kills the flow

Old
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
I am not a fan of the Little Ladd with Wheels nickname, but I enjoy nicknames.

GST worked for me.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:24 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
1290 was Brutal during the lockout period.

I was pissed when they took Jim Rome off for the Rona round table when there was clearly no hockey to talk about If anything it should have been a 1 hour show so that they could kept Rome on to break up the lockout talk for a few hours. I had to listen to a Vancouver station in the afternoons just so I would want to listen to H&L.

Curt you are right they arent pro's but im pretty sure Drew Mindel thinks they are! lol I like the show they are fun to listen to when there is more hockey to talk about there is no doubting that.

1290 sucked... I had a self imposed Hiatus from hf... Im just glad this is all behind us!! Go Jets Go!!
Respectfully disagree , Jim Rome is terrible ... he is interested in just himself, doesn't truly know sports and I am so glad he is off the station during prime hours. Love the local stuff , quality people , great knowledge imo.

Closed Thread