HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Training Camp 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Impossible Glory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lines look good. I'd still like to see Emelin get a good look on the PP though. Especially if Subban is going to continue this hold out into the real season.
Yeah, Emelin needs to get some PP time this year. He definitely has some offensive instinct that has to be more exploited.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
There isn't always a set recipe for a good PP. As long as one of the blue liners can get the puck on net (through a beauty pass or accurate shot), there is a chance for a goal. Both markov and Kaberle are capable of getting the puck toward the net
Agreed - no set recipe - I just feel like Markov and Kaberle are very similar for that role. The Habs had a lot of success on the PP with Markov as the quarterback and a left handed shooter on the other side. I'm curious to see how Markov/Kaberle could do - but I'm a tad hesitant to get too excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Buddy
Yes, someone who gets it. But, no matter what the COACH in MTL does he will always have someone sitting behind a computer thinking they know better than the man who actually gets paid to do the job.
Of course, having a civil discussion about the PP equals me thinking I know better than the coach

Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
PunkinDrublic*

You would think that if MT had both Kaberle and Markov on the PP blue line, he has his reasons and he thinks they might actually work well together.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
overlords
Hfboards

I wouldn't put much stock into the defensive PP pairings with Subban not at camp.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Agreed - no set recipe - I just feel like Markov and Kaberle are very similar for that role. The Habs had a lot of success on the PP with Markov as the quarterback and a left handed shooter on the other side. I'm curious to see how Markov/Kaberle could do - but I'm a tad hesitant to get too excited.

Of course, having a civil discussion about the PP equals me thinking I know better than the coach
I've never found the Markov/Subban pairing on the PP was going to work...the Habs PP will get back to being dominant when they can find a left handed shoter to play right point opposite Markov.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
You would think that if MT had both Kaberle and Markov on the PP blue line, he has his reasons and he thinks they might actually work well together.
Of course he has his reasons - who would ever think otherwise?

I'm just skeptical about how effective that particular combination will be. Perhaps I am missing your point and I apologize for that but you seem to be taking issue with me simply having an opinion (opposed to what my opinion actually is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords
I wouldn't put much stock into the defensive PP pairings with Subban not at camp.
Very true.

Quote:
I've never found the Markov/Subban pairing on the PP was going to work...the Habs PP will get back to being dominant when they can find a left handed shoter to play right point opposite Markov.
Same here. Limits the ability for one timers and/or takes Markov away from the left point (where he is more effective).

I like that Kaberle and Markov both shoot left (or does that constitute shooting right? I always mess that up) - but it's no Markov/Souray or Markov/Streit.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lines look good. I'd still like to see Emelin get a good look on the PP though. Especially if Subban is going to continue this hold out into the real season.
second this.

Emelin has a nice shot, and with markov setting him up it could be something.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
They haven't played together long enough to see if it would work.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They haven't played together long enough to see if it would work.
Perhaps...I just don't see it working out

But you're right, probably not enough data to make that claim with any certainty, but i'm skeptical to say the least

Old
01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
HCH

Quote:
Unit #1A - Markov/Emelin with Markov as the setup guy and Emelin as the shooter
Unit #1B - Diaz/Subban with Diaz as the setup guy and Subban as the shooter

It keeps two RH's together and two LH's together but this idea does not solve the problem of what to do with Kaberle. He is a setup guy not a shooter but plays the wrong side to set up Subban properly and isn't likely to take Markov's spot... at leas to begin with.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Therrien says he expects Kaberle to play a major role for #Habs this season, top-4 minutes, PP, PK, everything. So there's that.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Et le But

Quote:
While that's true...Plekanec needs a bounce back season this year, he hasn't been as good as he can be the last year or so.

Is that partly due to the revolving door of wingers he's had? Probably, but his play on itself, hasnt been good enough either.

I'm hoping the Habs ease his defensive responsibilities and let him focus more on offense, the bottom 6 as currently constructed is more than capable of playing the hard defensive minutes
Plekanec is the least of this teams troubles. He's a 2 way 2C who can give you very difficult minutes and still put up in a regular season 20 goals and 50-70 points. He's also one of the best PK forwards in the game. He won't turn mediocre wingers into good ones, but if you give him offensive minutes his line will be productive.

Our centers aren't high end but they are probably the only thing I'm not worried about besides Price.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Therrien says he expects Kaberle to play a major role for #Habs this season, top-4 minutes, PP, PK, everything. So there's that.

What are you laughing about?

Don't you see a showcase when there is one?

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post

It keeps two RH's together and two LH's together but this idea does not solve the problem of what to do with Kaberle. He is a setup guy not a shooter but plays the wrong side to set up Subban properly and isn't likely to take Markov's spot... at leas to begin with.
Agreed on the pairs, it's what i'd like to see...but I have some doubts on Emelin's ability to put the puck on net consistently

Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Of course he has his reasons - who would ever think otherwise?

I'm just skeptical about how effective that particular combination will be. Perhaps I am missing your point and I apologize for that but you seem to be taking issue with me simply having an opinion (opposed to what my opinion actually is).

Very true.

Same here. Limits the ability for one timers and/or takes Markov away from the left point (where he is more effective).

I like that Kaberle and Markov both shoot left (or does that constitute shooting right? I always mess that up) - but it's no Markov/Souray or Markov/Streit.
No Mue i am not taking an issue with you at all. And if that's how you took it i apologize. I actually thought that having a healthy Markov on the point with playmaker type defenseman Kaberle is, it could be intersting.
I find that too often Markov's shot is underrated. He has a great shot.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Plekanec is the least of this teams troubles. He's a 2 way 2C who can give you very difficult minutes and still put up in a regular season 20 goals and 50-70 points. He's also one of the best PK forwards in the game. He won't turn mediocre wingers into good ones, but if you give him offensive minutes his line will be productive.

Our centers aren't high end but they are probably the only thing I'm not worried about besides Price.
I don't disagree...I'd just like to see the coaching staff ease his defensive burden though. He's played too many hard minutes the last few years

Old
01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
What are you laughing about?

Don't you see a showcase when there is one?
Yes, I do see the showcase.

You don't showcase Kaberle by playing him on the PK though. Or even top 4 minutes, which means he's basically playing against the other team's 1st or 2nd line.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post

Kaberle is an elite PP guy, no way he ISN'T on either PP. Even worse putting Emelin ahead of him. Let Emelin master the defensive side then we can talk PP.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:41 AM
hersky77

Quote:
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu

what is so funny about that the guy used to be a top 15 dman in the league not so long ago. If he can play up to half of that he should be fine.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I don't disagree...I'd just like to see the coaching staff ease his defensive burden though. He's played too many hard minutes the last few years
I agree with this, the balance last year was terrible and if this team is going to be competitive we need 4 functional lines, which means our second line can't be used only when pinned in our own half.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
what is so funny about that the guy used to be a top 15 dman in the league not so long ago. If he can play up to half of that he should be fine.
I agree, plus he is suppose to be in amazing shape as we speak. ( ithink it's been awhile )

Old
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu

This is actually awesome news. Building up his value playing him a lot will prove positive come time to trade him. We may lose more (ie. like the Leafs did with him as their #1) but it's worth the consequences after this season.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Kaberle is an elite PP guy, no way he ISN'T on either PP. Even worse putting Emelin ahead of him. Let Emelin master the defensive side then we can talk PP.
He is an elite setup guy and not much of a shooter. The question isn't whether he is good at his role, the question is who can you pair him with?

BTW, maybe Kaberle could also work on mastering the defensive side of his game. It probably needs more work than Emelin's.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Pretty clear that the 13th forward spot belongs to Blunden till Nokie comes back. Therrien doesn't want a young player in the stands. And Blunden has no real future with us so he will be the lucky winner.

Dumont, Gallagher and Tinordi presence was a gift to them for their good work on a really bad team. But they had no chance to really be in the lineup. I still don't believe in White at the center position but I guess we have no choice right now.

And for St-Denis, well while I didn't agree with his non-invitation, clearly he wasn't there because the staff, though new, already knew what he can do for you. Even if Tinordi was invited, nobody will be surprise if the first callup in Hamilton will be St-Denis even if Commodore is there.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
He was never a top 15 d-man. He has always been terrible in his own end and was overrated due to the Toronto media and fanbase.

To be a top 15 d-man you have to be a legitimate #1, which he never was.....

Closed Thread