HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
In a business, or in a competitive sport where you're trying to win, why do you eat 5.6m just to do someone a favor? Why would want to do this? We can explore trading him and retaining a fraction of his salary instead of getting hit with his full cap hit so that he can play for someone else. How does that make sense? Oh, you go sign with the Penguins and play against us; we'll pay you 5.6m. No.
Instead of why would you want to do someone a favor, my question is why would you want to be vindictive against someone you were going to pay to sit on the couch anyway.

This isnt a competition thing. Redden hasnt played in the NHL in 3 years. If he signed with the penguins and we got to play against him, I'd be ****ing thrilled.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
eco's bones

Mara was a crap fighter.

Asham's been a pretty good bottom liner for a while. I wish though that he could penalty kill and I think Levitate brings up a good point about how much gas he might or might not have left in his tank at age 34. He's been brought in to make up somewhat for the loss of Prust. Asham will fight practically anyone and he's rarely embarrassed--and teammates usually (maybe the exception of Christensen) usually like that. Career wise he has 92 regular season NHL goals and over 200 points. That puts him in a different category than your classic goon. That is just facts and there's really no coherent way of parsing that he's just some kind of thug.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Why have people brought up Asham's junior stats?

He's had 27 points in 108 games over the past two seasons. Not very good, but he's also put up 10 points in his last 33 PO games, which is better, and had a 25 point year with Philly three years ago.

I think, at 34, he's not as good as he once was and won't be an important member of the team and would've looked for other alternatives on the market. However, it doesn't look like there were many alternatives so there's really no reason to hate the deal.
I only brought the junior stats up as a reference to the fact that he does have some hockey sense and hands. Obviously those stats are irrelevant for a guy that's 34 with 700 NHL games under his belt. It's more a comment that he's not a "pure" goon--one of those guys who was brought up to do nothing but fight. He's a hockey player that fights, and always has been, rather than a fighter that plays hockey.

It's just pain.
Old
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

As opposed to, say, Trevor Gillies, who couldn't even score a goal in the ECHL and hardly in the OHL.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
NYR Viper

Something that is not being brought up about Asham is that he and Rupp had very good chemistry in Pittsburgh together. There games compliment eachother well.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I have a couple of reservations on the 4th line. While I like that we have a pair of guys that can play a regular shift and handle the rough stuff, I am a little worried that all three guys are old.

Rupp is 32
Asham is 34
Halpern is 36

I always though that your 4th line needs to be your energy line. Make a splash in the limited ice time that they are out there. Change tempo, etc. I see this 4th line more of a "safe play" here by Tortorella. A line that maybe won't hurt you but a line that might not bring the heat when needed.

In all not really dissapointed, just curious to see how they respond at this stage of thier careers.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I have a couple of reservations on the 4th line. While I like that we have a pair of guys that can play a regular shift and handle the rough stuff, I am a little worried that all three guys are old.

Rupp is 32
Asham is 34
Halpern is 36

I always though that your 4th line needs to be your energy line. Make a splash in the limited ice time that they are out there. Change tempo, etc. I see this 4th line more of a "safe play" here by Tortorella. A line that maybe won't hurt you but a line that might not bring the heat when needed.

In all not really dissapointed, just curious to see how they respond at this stage of thier careers.
I think one positive with the shortened season is that the most games they could play during the regular season is 48. Compressed schedule, but far from a full 82.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Rupp is 32
Asham is 34
Halpern is 36

I think it has more to do with some of our 3/4 line prospects not being ready yet.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:29 PM
NYR Viper

I think it is an added bonus that the Rangers 4th line is veterans who know their role. Asham, Rupp and Halpern are not going to try anything fancy. They will chip the puck out and dump and chase. Better than having EC on the 4th.....

Old
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
I guess with Haley being waived we'll see either Bickel or Gilroy as a forward on Saturday? This team seriously needs a depth forward or two.

Bring back Betts and Ortmeyer!! haha not even joking but pretty sure they are injured. What about Tom Kostopoulos? Marco Sturm? Trent Hunter? Just going down a list of current UFAs.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Vitto79

Kostopolous could be usefull

So Redden and Gomez can be bought out but cap hit stays on this yr? EVERY team can do this?

Old
01-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think it is an added bonus that the Rangers 4th line is veterans who know their role. Asham, Rupp and Halpern are not going to try anything fancy. They will chip the puck out and dump and chase. Better than having EC on the 4th.....
This is exactly how I feel. Yes they are older than the rest of the lineup but that also leads me to think they will play smart. I think its going to be great to have Asham and Rupp for the fact that they will drop em if need me AND can actually play the game... and Halpern isn't the most skilled, but he is a smart "safe-play-first" kind of player. I am not worried about this line at all

Old
01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Kostopolous could be usefull

So Redden and Gomez can be bought out but cap hit stays on this yr? EVERY team can do this?
Seems so.

Cue the oncoming brigade that will complain Redden's cap hit stays this season - because, after all, the Rangers should be allowed to get out of their stupid signing unscathed.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...79589928497153

Quote:
For those asking, my Stanley Cup finals pick: Rangers-Blues with NY winning.
What a wise man.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:

Rupp is 32
Asham is 34
Halpern is 36

They are in their 30s not their 40s. In most games, Rupp and Asham will get between 6 and 8 minutes of ice time and will bring alot of energy in those limited minutes. Halpern will also PK and take important draws so his minutes will be higher. All of our lines will be energetic.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Third and fourth liners should be 25 and 15 goal scorers respectively. 45 points from your third liners, 30 from your fourth liners. NHL '12 syndrome. It's massive on these boards.
It's hilarious, isn't it? 1st liners should score 50 goals, 100 pts. 2nd liners are 70+. If there's only a 40 goal scorer on your 1st line, your team is in trouble. I literally laugh at the fools that say this kind of stuff. Uneducated schmucks.

Also, the last few pages complaining of Arron ****ing Asham on the 4th line are hilarious. As if that should even be on our radar for things to be concerned with, who's going to play 4 mins a game on the 4th ****ing line.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I specifically remember Mara, after the game, sending a thanks via the media to Arron for stopping early.
take a look at the video, Asham kept throwing them till the refs jumped in. he stopped then, which is good, but the way youre describing it is...well....not supported by the video ;-)

Old
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Can Katie really not say "hell" in her Tweets?

Anyway, not at all surprising. Torts rides his horses.
She should worry about spelling the actual players' names correctly. lol

Old
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Hopefully he's not too out of shape for the first game.

Quote:
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
Brad Richards says he's feeling better, is skating today by himself and then will join the team tomorrow on ice as camp winds down #NYR

01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Richards has been skating with the team long before the MOU was signed. I think he'll be fine.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Richards has been skating with the team long before the MOU was signed. I think he'll be fine.
The flu takes a lot out of a person, I presume.

Just hope it doesn't affect him too much.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
94now

Quote:

Rupp is 32
Asham is 34
Halpern is 36

Torts does not believe in "Energy Line". He thinks all lines must play with energy plus he doesn't consider 4th a line per se. It's a bag of spare parts for special teams for him that must include a fighter or two.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:13 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
The flu takes a lot out of a person, I presume.

Just hope it doesn't affect him too much.
So does breaking up with Olivia Munn, apparently

Old
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
bad Omen
Eklund picks The Rangers as #1 in The Atlantic

Old
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
oiLowe

What are the status of Gaborik & Nash? I read earlier today they are both questionable for the season opener?

Closed Thread