HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Training Camp 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
  #201
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
what is so funny about that the guy used to be a top 15 dman in the league not so long ago. If he can play up to half of that he should be fine.
I don't understand the hate about Kaberle, he had awful stats with the canes last year (29 games, 9 points and -12) but with the habs, even though his play was soft and not on par with how he played in the past, he had 22 points in 43 games and ended a -6 on a god awful team.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think he will have a great season.

Malakhov is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
  #202
hersky77
Registered User
 
hersky77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
He was never a top 15 d-man. He has always been terrible in his own end and was overrated due to the Toronto media and fanbase.

To be a top 15 d-man you have to be a legitimate #1, which he never was.....
No he was not overrated on Toronto. He was their number one defensman for most of his career their. He is not what he used to be but im fairly certain he can handle playing 20 minutes a night in all situations.

hersky77 is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
  #203
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,941
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty clear that the 13th forward spot belongs to Blunden till Nokie comes back. Therrien doesn't want a young player in the stands. And Blunden has no real future with us so he will be the lucky winner.
If that was the case, Blunden would have been here from the start of training camp, no?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
  #204
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
He was never a top 15 d-man. He has always been terrible in his own end and was overrated due to the Toronto media and fanbase.

To be a top 15 d-man you have to be a legitimate #1, which he never was.....
That's ********. He played on a crappy team and had to play a lot of tough minutes, so if he was even below average defensively he'd have been -50 every year.

At his best he was a top 10 guy(in the NHL) offensively and above average defensively. Based on the measuring stick some people use there are only like 10 d-men in the friggen NHL that are above average defensively(plus 50 that are average and 150 that suck defensively).

I can put together a 30 minute video of Chara, Suter, Weber, Lidstrom, Regehr, Seabrook, Doughty, Staal, Timonen etc making brutal giveaways or getting undressed on defense. Point being bad plays happen to the best of them and will happen to Markov Kaberle and Subban, it doesn't make them "bad defensively".

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
  #205
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
What you guys expecting therrien to say about Kaberle when Subban isnt there?

He sure a top 4.... until he sucks and he isnt anymore or subban returns... he must give the benefit of the doubt to the veteran...

Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
  #206
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Therrien says he expects Kaberle to play a major role for #Habs this season, top-4 minutes, PP, PK, everything. So there's that.

even in his peak form, I don't want Kaberle on the PK.

That Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
  #207
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If that was the case, Blunden would have been here from the start of training camp, no?
I think it may be Dumont, he can play center, something we need with Noke out.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
  #208
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,672
vCash: 500
I used to consider Kaberle the poor man's Markov, in retrospect Markov was a far better 5 on 5 player, but Kaberle still had a good career. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
  #209
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Was Kaberle used on PK's in Toronto in his prime?

overlords is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
  #210
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 400
being a Torontonian I have the misfortune of having seen many Leafs games. I don't believe he played much on the PK, and if so he did it poorly.

I'm far from someone who thinks he should be bought out, he's okay to use in the top 4 ES (with Gorges, Markov with Emelin) and a very good powerplay QB (although it is true that he never shoots), but he should stay far away from the PK/top pair.

That Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
  #211
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Wait and see with Kabs. I have never been a big Kabs backer, however stick him with Gorges and Kabs "could" have a decent season (least until PK is back )

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
  #212
Impossible Glory
Registered User
 
Impossible Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Shore
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Was Kaberle used on PK's in Toronto in his prime?
After a quick research:

2009-10: 0:06 AVG SH TOI/G
2008-09: 1:09 AVG SH TOI/G
2007-08: 1:22 AVG SH TOI/G
2006-07: 3:34 AVG SH TOI/G
2005-06: 4:31 AVG SH TOI/G

So yes, he was used as on the 1st pairing on the PK after the lockout but it quickly dropped to 2nd pairing in 2007-08 to no use on the PK at all 3 years ago.

Impossible Glory is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
  #213
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Was Kaberle used on PK's in Toronto in his prime?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...006&gameType=2

I just checked the year after the lock out, he had 4:31 per game. 05-06
3:34 in 06-07
1:22 in 07-08
1:07 in 08-09
0.06 in 09-10
0.17 in 10-11
3.29 in 03-04

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
  #214
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
even in his peak form, I don't want Kaberle on the PK.
It wan't so long ago that the Bruins sent a first round pick to the Leafs to have Kaberle play for them for part of a season (and help them win a championship). The Habs had been juggling quite a few duds on their PP before they traded a spare part like Spacek for him. I'll take Kaberle over Weber any day.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
  #215
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Unit #1A - Markov/Emelin with Markov as the setup guy and Emelin as the shooter
Unit #1B - Diaz/Subban with Diaz as the setup guy and Subban as the shooter

It keeps two RH's together and two LH's together but this idea does not solve the problem of what to do with Kaberle. He is a setup guy not a shooter but plays the wrong side to set up Subban properly and isn't likely to take Markov's spot... at leas to begin with.

thats pretty much the way i see it. hopefully they do this at some point.

as for kaberle hoping they will trade him after the early season showcase

Habitants is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
  #216
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's ********. He played on a crappy team and had to play a lot of tough minutes, so if he was even below average defensively he'd have been -50 every year.

At his best he was a top 10 guy(in the NHL) offensively and above average defensively. Based on the measuring stick some people use there are only like 10 d-men in the friggen NHL that are above average defensively(plus 50 that are average and 150 that suck defensively).

I can put together a 30 minute video of Chara, Suter, Weber, Lidstrom, Regehr, Seabrook, Doughty, Staal, Timonen etc making brutal giveaways or getting undressed on defense. Point being bad plays happen to the best of them and will happen to Markov Kaberle and Subban, it doesn't make them "bad defensively".
I have seen more of Kaberle than anyone on this board......book it. He was always a liability in his own end and was a common whipping boy in Toronto when they got eliminated every year from the playoffs. He is incredibly soft and one of the worst d-men in the league in front of his own net.

He was always a great skater/passer but in order for him to get the puck, somebody would have to pass it to him as he rarely took it from an attacker. A true #1 plays in all situations and is not a liability in any aspect of the game. He was never a mainstay on the pk due to his lack of physicality but saw plenty of minutes overall because Toronto's defence corps was usually very bad and he was on for entire PP's more often than not.

If you want to look at stats and draw your conclusions from that........it is common practice on these boards. I prefer to use actual observations.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
  #217
DuRoux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Hey guys any of you can tell me if we will have the red vs white game tomorrow on TV?

DuRoux is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
  #218
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It wan't so long ago that the Bruins sent a first round pick to the Leafs to have Kaberle play for them for part of a season (and help them win a championship). The Habs had been juggling quite a few duds on their PP before they traded a spare part like Spacek for him. I'll take Kaberle over Weber any day.
The previous poster said that he wouldn't want him on the PK.

Boston acquired him for their woefull powerplay with hopes that he could feed Chara for the one-timer. Boston was considered a serious contender and the only piece that they were missing was a powerplay quarterback to play with Chara.

Boston grossly overpaid for him and that was shown by his paltry return in the Carolina trade. They still went on to win the Cup but let Kaberle walk as he was a huge disappointment.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:55 PM
  #219
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Therrien says he expects Kaberle to play a major role for #Habs this season, top-4 minutes, PP, PK, everything. So there's that.

What's really funny is in a bad year Kaberle gets around the same amount of points Subban gets in a good year yet Kaberle isn't top 4 while Subban is right up there beside Crosby. Gorges does one heck of a job I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The previous poster said that he wouldn't want him on the PK.

Boston acquired him for their woefull powerplay with hopes that he could feed Chara for the one-timer. Boston was considered a serious contender and the only piece that they were missing was a powerplay quarterback to play with Chara.

Boston grossly overpaid for him and that was shown by his paltry return in the Carolina trade. They still went on to win the Cup but let Kaberle walk as he was a huge disappointment.
Actually they tried to sign him but why let reality get in the way of this circle jerk?


Last edited by OneSharpMarble: 01-16-2013 at 01:03 PM.
OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
  #220
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,119
vCash: 500
Nah, I wish luck to Kaberle. We could get some serious picks or spare parts out of his juicy contract.

Which means we will practically have converted Spacek into something. I call that a win everyday in my book.

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
  #221
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,041
vCash: 500
I'm actually happy to hear Therrien wants to give Kaberle a better role. He's probably someone who works better with more responsabilities and the fact that Therrien considers him for them means he's already showing to be in much better shape than last year.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 01:04 PM
  #222
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'm actually happy to hear Therrien wants to give Kaberle a better role. He's probably someone who works better with more responsabilities and the fact that Therrien considers him for them means he's already showing to be in much better shape than last year.
Therrien certainly is a better "people's-coach" than Martin or Cunneyworth (?) were. Maybe he gets his player more..?

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 01:04 PM
  #223
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Therrien says he expects Kaberle to play a major role for #Habs this season, top-4 minutes, PP, PK, everything. So there's that.

Me think Therrien wants another top 3 pick

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
  #224
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
I like that Therrien has matched up Kaberle with Gorges. The guy still has skills but also some obvious issues in his own zone. Gorges being our most steady and reliable defenceman I could see them complementing each other well. I don't know what happens once PK is in the mix but I like the idea of the Kaberle-Gorges pairing and am interested to see how it turns out.

eddy is offline  
Old
01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
  #225
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I have seen more of Kaberle than anyone on this board......book it. He was always a liability in his own end and was a common whipping boy in Toronto when they got eliminated every year from the playoffs. He is incredibly soft and one of the worst d-men in the league in front of his own net.

He was always a great skater/passer but in order for him to get the puck, somebody would have to pass it to him as he rarely took it from an attacker. A true #1 plays in all situations and is not a liability in any aspect of the game. He was never a mainstay on the pk due to his lack of physicality but saw plenty of minutes overall because Toronto's defence corps was usually very bad and he was on for entire PP's more often than not.

If you want to look at stats and draw your conclusions from that........it is common practice on these boards. I prefer to use actual observations.
Toronto didn't get eliminated from the Playoffs because Kaberle was bad, it's because they had weak goaltending and no depth.

Lots of soft defensemen have been among the best. Ray Bourque is in the Hall of Fame and Lidstrom will join him soon. By your definition they'd be on the 3rd pair and only play PP's.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.