HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sandis Ozolinsh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
  #1
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
Sandis Ozolinsh

How good he was? To whom can he be compared? Why he dissappeared so quickly?

He was a decent talent, created some noise during his early years and then I remember him as a premier offensive defensman and to some extent he was a counterpart of Lidstrom (!) in Colorado during late 90s.
And then he just vanished...

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
  #2
Old Man Barking
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Drinking problems, unfortunately.

I'll never forget after a series of insane passes, Bill Clement exclaiming, "And Ozolinsh's Hi-wire act continues!"

I also recall having him and Skoula dominant the offensive zone while the forwards fell back on D for a few minutes. Insane.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:52 PM
  #3
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,630
vCash: 500
He was a premier defenseman for a little while in the NHL. No doubt his bread and butter was offense but he was scary out there. For a brief time you may have thought of him as the most offensive defenseman in the NHL, or Brian Leetch. In Game 4 of the 1996 final I can distinctly remember him somehow sneaking in from the blueline in overtime and being all alone against Beezer point blank for the Cup win. He didn't score, but that was just the kind of things you expected from him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
  #4
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
I make a smooth connection to Bust thread: someone wrote there, Sharks choose Falloon over Niedermayer because they had hidden Ozolinsh out there...
Was it a smart move? One can argue Ozolinsh 1993-199? had was a better of the two, can't he?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
  #5
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I make a smooth connection to Bust thread: someone wrote there, Sharks choose Falloon over Niedermayer because they had hidden Ozolinsh out there...
Was it a smart move? One can argue Ozolinsh 1993-199? had was a better of the two, can't he?
Ozolinsh was a different type of player. For his first few years, Niedermayer played tentatively, almost as if he was afraid to make a costly mistake. Ozolinsh played wide open, almost as if he didn't care if he did make a costly mistake.

There was one game back in...I think it was the 1993-94 season, and I think it was against Chicago. He made some absurdly aggressive play, like carrying the puck end-to-end and not scoring, but then continuing to play down low. The Sharks cycled, he stayed in the zone way inside the blueline, and ended up scoring the only goal in a 1-0. Kevin Constantine said that it was the only time he ever yelled, "NO! What are you doing? YEAH!" from the bench in his career.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  #6
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,217
vCash: 500
Very unique player. Brian Leetch is the closest I've seen stylistically, but Ozo's lack of effort defensively was closer to Housley than to Leetch.

Despite his defensive problems, Ozo was awesome in the 1996 playoffs, usually playing with Joe Sakic. When Ozo was out there, the Avs were pure run-and-gun, and they had the talent (and goaltending) to play that way. The last team like that that won a Cup. Tampa Bay and Carolina were both offense-first, but they didn't go all-out the way Ozolinsh did.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:31 PM
  #7
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975
 
Vancouver Blazers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,533
vCash: 500
Fun fact: Ozolinsh was credited with the Martin Brodeur own-goal in the 2003 Cup finals.

Vancouver Blazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
  #8
quoipourquoi
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,641
vCash: 500
He's the type of player who would have thrived in a different generation. Colorado played open enough for him to assert himself better than most teams would have, but some seasons there - and especially after he left - he was more of a liability. He was forced to play half of his own style and half of the style expected from a #1 defenseman, and it just didn't gel anymore because he hadn't developed the proper tool-set. Playing with Bure in Florida looked like a revival (19 points in 20 games), but then Bure got traded.

But there were nights when he was the most dangerous offensive player on Colorado. In 1995-96 and 1996-97 - and especially in those respective playoffs. Put him on a less run-and-gun team, and I don't expect the same results. Good instincts though; he pinched in very intelligently in his prime.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
  #9
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
He's the type of player who would have thrived in a different generation. Colorado played open enough for him to assert himself better than most teams would have, but some seasons there - and especially after he left - he was more of a liability. He was forced to play half of his own style and half of the style expected from a #1 defenseman, and it just didn't gel anymore because he hadn't developed the proper tool-set. Playing with Bure in Florida looked like a revival (19 points in 20 games), but then Bure got traded.

But there were nights when he was the most dangerous offensive player on Colorado. In 1995-96 and 1996-97 - and especially in those respective playoffs. Put him on a less run-and-gun team, and I don't expect the same results. Good instincts though; he pinched in very intelligently in his prime.
Excellent, excellent instincts. Just not something we see anymore. You still see the great-skating defensemen, but the instincts just aren't there anymore. Karlsson's probably the best in recent years.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
  #10
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30,464
vCash: 500
I guess he's a bit like the 90s version of Erik Karlsson without the Norris.

A guy like Oleg Tverdovsky was also a good offensive defenseman with great wheels from the same era. He had a few great years with 50+ points but then just fell off the map too. What happened there? He was supposed to be the next Zubov.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:07 AM
  #11
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
Tverdovsky was good PMD too. Altough he won his cup with Devils and Canes, I will always remember him in Anaheim jersey. He was definitely a more complete player than Ozolinsh. Great skater too.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
  #12
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
His career started to go down a bit after he left Colorado. The problem was that like all teams who expect greatness but then get stopped by a Dallas or Detroit...they made some stupid decisions afterwards and let go of certain players they shouldn't have including Ozolinsh.

Now they did fortunately win the cup in 2001 but I believe that if Ozolinsh had been the one on the team instead of say Skoula then it would've been better. I'm not sure how Skoula stayed as a starter on the team for so long, he's one of the worst regular dmen we had.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
  #13
tony d
The man
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,353
vCash: 500
Ozolinsh was a very good offensive defenseman. To bad he let his personal demons get in the way from him being any better than what he was.

__________________
People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
  #14
agentblack
Registered User
 
agentblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 70
One of my favorite D men ever! So much fun to watch. One of his most memorable plays was his backhand pass through the slot to Drury in OT against the Stars, guy took crazy chances.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:27 AM
  #15
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Tverdovsky was good PMD too. Altough he won his cup with Devils and Canes, I will always remember him in Anaheim jersey. He was definitely a more complete player than Ozolinsh. Great skater too.
I can't decide which is funnier: you believing Oleg was better than Ozo at anything, or you mentioning his Stanley Cups as if he was a relevant cog in either one.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
  #16
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch
 
Frozen North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OK
Country: United States
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Ozolinsh would have been a perfect "Rover" back in the day when each team had a sixth skater out there.

Not sure if it was ever mentioned publicly, but IMO, Ozo really struggled after Sergei Zholtok's death. They were good friends since childhood, and it seemed like Ozo's personal and professional struggles really took off after Zholtok died in Latvia.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
  #17
Theokritos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,077
vCash: 500
I guess most people around here are not aware of it, but Sandis Ozoliņ is actually still playing in the KHL.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
  #18
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I guess most people around here are not aware of it, but Sandis Ozoliņš is actually still playing in the KHL.
He's been productive too, still going strong at age 40. I'm glad he's gotten over his alcohol problem and revived his career.

I remember when he got traded from Florida to Anaheim right before the All-Star Game. The game was in Florida and the fans gave him a huge ovation when he was introduced. I remember noticing that he was already wearing a Ducks logo as the shoulder patch on the all-star jersey. It must be the only time a player has represented a team at the ASG before ever having played for them.

As far as comparisons I think of him as a poor-man's Sergei Gonchar. Gonchar has had a much better second half to his career but I think they both have a similar skill set.


Last edited by ForsbergForever: 01-16-2013 at 04:49 PM.
ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:38 AM
  #19
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
He's been productive too, still going strong at age 40. I'm glad he's gotten over his alcohol problem and revived his career.

I remember when he got traded from Florida to Anaheim right before the All-Star Game. The game was in Florida and the fans gave him a huge ovation when he was introduced. I remember noticing that he was already wearing a Ducks logo as the shoulder patch on the all-star jersey. It must be the only time a player has represented a team at the ASG before ever having played for them.

As far as comparisons I think of him as a poor-man's Sergei Gonchar. Gonchar has had a much better second half to his career but I think they both have a similar skill set.
Perhaps controversially, I would say that Ozo's career could have been ever better than Gonchar's. Gonchar learned defense; Ozo was showing signs of doing that in SJ, but he started so late...no question to me that Ozolnish had more raw talent...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:18 AM
  #20
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p
 
Actp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
He was an oustanding raw talent and tremendously instinctive offensive player who was unafraid of making mistakes. As someone said, he would have made a good rover. I enjoyed watching him as you almost never see such fearlessness in a defenseman. He never really learned to play defense, except through anticipation and puck possession, but he was a joy to watch.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:29 AM
  #21
Nashology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
One of the best offensive dmen of his generation. Karlsson like IMO. Some claimed they coined the term offenceman after him.

In San Jose and then in Colorado he was a 25 goal 60+ pt threat year in year out. An absolute magician out on the ice. Even in Carolina and Florida he played really well. In New York he suffered a bit but I really thought in his last stint with SJ a few years back he was going to stick. I thought he was a solid 2nd pairing guy. His defence had improved and he still put up 0.5 PPG.

His major problem throughout the years was that he was seen as a number 1 dman and he just couldn't and wouldn't work on his defense.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
  #22
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I remember when he got traded from Florida to Anaheim right before the All-Star Game. The game was in Florida and the fans gave him a huge ovation when he was introduced. I remember noticing that he was already wearing a Ducks logo as the shoulder patch on the all-star jersey. It must be the only time a player has represented a team at the ASG before ever having played for them.
There may have been others, but John Garrett played in the 1983 AS game as the Canucks' representative before playing a game as a Canuck. He nearly won the player of the game award too... until Gretzky scored 4 goals in the 3rd period.

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
  #23
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashology View Post
One of the best offensive dmen of his generation. Karlsson like IMO. Some claimed they coined the term offenceman after him.

In San Jose and then in Colorado he was a 25 goal 60+ pt threat year in year out. An absolute magician out on the ice. Even in Carolina and Florida he played really well. In New York he suffered a bit but I really thought in his last stint with SJ a few years back he was going to stick. I thought he was a solid 2nd pairing guy. His defence had improved and he still put up 0.5 PPG.

His major problem throughout the years was that he was seen as a number 1 dman and he just couldn't and wouldn't work on his defense.
To be fair, Ozolnish as far as I recall only had one season where he actually scored 25+ goals.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
  #24
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Ozo is todays Karlson.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:35 PM
  #25
Ozolinsh_27
Registered User
 
Ozolinsh_27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
A combination of personal issues and he also went several years without an ACL, I remember reading about it when he had his San Jose comeback but I had a heck of a time finding it for this thread.

I eventually found this, which credits the Star Ledger paper (NJ paper, I think?):

http://nhlstars.kulichki.net/players/ozolinsh/40.html

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.