HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

What are your expectations for this season......really?

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
mplspug

vCash: 500
I think the opposite of last year happens. 500 team until the second half when they turn it on after the pressure wears off for new players Granlund, Parise and Suter. Then a big run in the playoffs. I've always felt Backstrom could stand on his head in the post season.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd have to think Wild will be top half, maybe top 10 in scoring. That will be huge. We'll see about the defense. But Wild were dead last in goals for, 13th in goals against. Now add in Parise, Suter, Granlund, hopefully a healthy Bouchard...and in case of injuries we have Coyle, Zucker, and Larsson who can step up instead of Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, and whoever else we called up last year.

Vancouver is missing Kesler and Booth for the first month or so. The Sedins may be better than anyone on the Wild roster, but the Wild have a lot more talented scoring depth. Their defense may have improved a bit with the addition of Garrison but not as much as the Wild's improved with the addition of Suter and eventually Brodin.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
If we can stay out of the bottom 10 in the league in scoring I'll be happy.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
It will go to Crosby because he is Crosby and the perpetuators of East Coast Bias will make sure he wins, because who cares about the West anyway?
Sadly, This....Exactly this....

It's all about PR.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

ESPN's season preview for the Wild by Pierre LeBrun seems to be really high on the Wild. He picks Granlund as his calder winner and seems to think Heatley is geared for a huge year, and that our top line in general should be really really good.

Why does positive press scare me?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
ESPN's season preview for the Wild by Pierre LeBrun seems to be really high on the Wild. He picks Granlund as his calder winner and seems to think Heatley is geared for a huge year, and that our top line in general should be really really good.

It's ESPN, though.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Dr Jan Itor

LeBrun is legit.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Note he's the only one to mention the Wild's good start, the injuries, and the terrible AHL'ers they used to fill them.

I dunno if Granlund will get the Calder...Yakupov and Schultz might eat up a lot of votes out West.

But I do think Heatley will have a big year. I honestly see close to 25 goals out of him in 48 games.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

It was a surprisingly fair read.

He made good note of many of the realities from last year, good and bad.

It is a little weird he thinks we should have a good year

Not used to that... Especially from such an admirable network such as espn...cough...cough...

Old
01-16-2013, 03:51 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
It was a surprisingly fair read.

He made good note of many of the realities from last year, good and bad.

It is a little weird he thinks we should have a good year

Not used to that... Especially from such an admirable network such as espn...cough...cough...
Pierre LeBrun is a respected columnist here in Canada and is also a TSN hockey insider. He spent a few years on Rogers Sportsnet before so he's pretty legit, knowledgeable and very fair. I'm told he also broke the news for the CBA deal before anyone else, not sure if that part is true though.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

LeBrun and Buccigross are pretty good writers from ESPN's hockey coverage.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:

Because we're used to being laughed at regardless of what the team does?

Surprised with the Granlund Calder pick. Figured that would go to one of the new Oilers like others have said.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
It's ESPN, though.
ESPN especially the television side (minus John Buccigross) is trash, but they have some decent online journalist. Lebrun is one of the best in the business, I have always been a big fan of Buccigross wish he would have went to NBCSN.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Pierre LeBrun is a respected columnist here in Canada and is also a TSN hockey insider. He spent a few years on Rogers Sportsnet before so he's pretty legit, knowledgeable and very fair. I'm told he also broke the news for the CBA deal before anyone else, not sure if that part is true though.
From what I hear it was the Denver post's Adrian Dater.... How that happened I have no clue because I find Dater's journalist style lazy and bombastic.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Uberdachen

Undefeated season, no goals allowed. Bouchard is healthy but kept off the ice as his concussion resulted in Phenomenon powers that allow him to steer the puck from the bench. Record number of wardrobe malfunctions occur during intermissions.

Playoffs: During the final series, Bouchard gets carried away and tries to score a goal with a floating concession stand hot dog. It proves too much for his powers and a young spectator is horribly injured. He floats off into the night vowing to use his powers only for good, and the Wild are left to win the series on their own merits.

They do. Handily. And the ghosts of Boogard, non-concussed Bouchard, and a very confused Obi-Wan Kenobi look on in approval.

Anything less will be a complete embarrassment.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:24 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

playoffs or bust.

Anything less is completely unacceptable.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post
Undefeated season, no goals allowed. Bouchard is healthy but kept off the ice as his concussion resulted in Phenomenon powers that allow him to steer the puck from the bench. Record number of wardrobe malfunctions occur during intermissions.

Playoffs: During the final series, Bouchard gets carried away and tries to score a goal with a floating concession stand hot dog. It proves too much for his powers and a young spectator is horribly injured. He floats off into the night vowing to use his powers only for good, and the Wild are left to win the series on their own merits.

They do. Handily. And the ghosts of Boogard, non-concussed Bouchard, and a very confused Obi-Wan Kenobi look on in approval.

I like this guy.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Because we're used to being laughed at regardless of what the team does?

Surprised with the Granlund Calder pick. Figured that would go to one of the new Oilers like others have said.
I know!

If I see that Schultz is a "guarantee" for that damned thing one more time... Freakin season hasn't even started yet. On top of that, those little Oil Barons didn't do too hot against the Aeros this season... For all their talk, I would expect them to have a perfect record...

Oilers...Ug

Old
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post

Well done.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I know!

If I see that Schultz is a "guarantee" for that damned thing one more time... Freakin season hasn't even started yet. On top of that, those little Oil Barons didn't do too hot against the Aeros this season... For all their talk, I would expect them to have a perfect record...

Oilers...Ug
If I see one more Oilers related thread on the main board I might loose it. Yeah their young talent looks amazing (anyones should with that many #1 picks) but prove it. Oilers always have the hype but never back it up.

Schultz is a great talent, but many people are forgetting how special Granlund is. He will be getting plenty of playing time centering the second line and I except a phenomenal season out of him.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Kellyr

Playoffs- after the big time signings no other way to see it.

And in the playoffs I like the chances. A lot of character players on the team atm and no some hired gun types like e.g. in the Rangers in the past.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd have to think Wild will be top half, maybe top 10 in scoring. That will be huge. We'll see about the defense. But Wild were dead last in goals for, 13th in goals against. Now add in Parise, Suter, Granlund, hopefully a healthy Bouchard...and in case of injuries we have Coyle, Zucker, and Larsson who can step up instead of Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, and whoever else we called up last year.
This.

Holy Jarick whats up with you lately?? I find us agreeing on everything

Old
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Mikael Granlund
4th Line Lurker

vCash: 1070
Playoffs as a 5th to 8th seed.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Sportsfan1

We do have a shot in our division. Nucks are banged up and getting older w/no depth whatsoever. Colorado I don't think is legit for one second and Sacco will be fired by years end. Edmonton's talent does worry me the most, but don't think they are there yet, and the Flames.....lol.....what a joke.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:46 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

i wouldn't count out the Avs so fast. They are a team that can usually hang in there and mess things up if need be. The youth movement out there has shown flashes of being really good. The Oil will be a little better, but not by much. They are at least getting competitive again. Flames will be dead last in the NW. The Canucks will play well, they always do.

I see us in a playoff spot. Mid range though, which is alright. just make it in and go from there.

Closed Thread