HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo needs to move Defencemen

Old
01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
The Sabres had a scrimmage tonight. After the game the GM was asked about the numerous D-men and he said he knows he needs to trade one or two of them rather than risk losing them for nothing in the waiver wire.

Given some injuries they have (Troup, Gerbe, possibly Mccormick) they could opt with keeping 8 D-men on the 23 man roster maybe hoping for injuries and then in the season trade one.

He olso said they need to decide by thursday because they have to be on the waiver wire for 24 hrs before the Friday deadline of hitting the roster limit.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Clifford and Loktionov for Regher and?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Clifford and Loktionov for Regher and?
And Regher waives his no trade clause....

Throw in Luke Adam...he needs a change of scenery.

Is Dustin Brown Available?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
And Regher waives his no trade clause....

Throw in Luke Adam...he needs a change of scenery.

Is Dustin Brown Available?
No Brown isnt available. Give your head a shake.

Regehr and Adam for Clifford and Loktionov? Done.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

No reason for Buffalo to do this deal...

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Brentwood1

If Regehr was healthy and willing to move, St Louis would be a great spot for him.

Brentwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

There's no reason for Buffalo to do that, and Regehr woulnd't waive anyway.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

i think the Flyers would probably have interest in Regehr.

Ty McGinn and a 3rd for Regehr

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:11 AM
HiddenInLight

Regehr probably wouldn't waive his NTC to move anywhere tbh, and I think it would be in bad taste for our GM to ask him to. Its simply not going to happen.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:14 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

SMH @ people looking at Regehr's minuses and offering scraps. Adorable. Do some research, people.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
With Mitchell being injured indefinitely after his knee surgery, I'm sure the Kings could use a veteran defenseman. Would the Sabres be interested in Loktionov (skilled, potential 2nd line center) or Lewis (defensive forward capable of center or wing)? What would you be willing to trade for either of them?

Unless there's some other piece that the Sabres are interested in, provided they are willing to give more in turn.
Something around Pardy for Lewis makes sense for both teams, IMO.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Regehr probably wouldn't waive his NTC to move anywhere tbh, and I think it would be in bad taste for our GM to ask him to. Its simply not going to happen.
Regher is less likely to be moved.....He still hads a no trade contract.

the only time possible would be at the trade deadline and Buffalo appears to be a long shot of getting to the playoffs.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
STL fan in IA

The Blues need a left d-man (ideally one who makes sense paired with Pietrangelo on the 1st pairing) and have 15 quality forwards (Backes, Oshie, Perron, McDonald, Steen, Tarasenko, Berglund, Stewart, Schwartz, Sobotka, D'Agostini, Langenbrunner, Nichol, Reaves, Porter). Would a Blues forward for Sabres d-man make sense? What would Sabres fans think it would take to get any of:

Sekera
Leopold
Regehr

Depending on what the return package would be, I could see the Blues being interested in any of those 3. The Blues also have two quality forward prospects in Rattie and Jaskin. Any other prospect is also game.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Something around Pardy for Lewis makes sense for both teams, IMO.
Not really.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:32 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
The Blues need a left d-man (ideally one who makes sense paired with Pietrangelo on the 1st pairing) and have 15 quality forwards (Backes, Oshie, Perron, McDonald, Steen, Tarasenko, Berglund, Stewart, Schwartz, Sobotka, D'Agostini, Langenbrunner, Nichol, Reaves, Porter). Would a Blues forward for Sabres d-man make sense? What would Sabres fans think it would take to get any of:

Sekera
Leopold
Regehr

Depending on what the return package would be, I could see the Blues being interested in any of those 3. The Blues also have two quality forward prospects in Rattie and Jaskin. Any other prospect is also game.
I think they make ideal trading partners. Opposite conference, Buffalo overloaded with NHL defensemen and the Blues overloaded with NHL forwards.

IMO
Trading value

Sekera - Unlikely to be traded. Has improved by leaps and bounds. Very friendly contract, sound in all aspects of game, and skates well.

Leopold - Very solid Vet Dman for a 3/4 slot

Brennan - Really high skill offense / puck moving (reminds me of Campbell when he was coming up) but needs fair bit of work at D

Pardy - Decent bottom pairing guy

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
CaptPantalones

I must differ from most of my other fellow Sabre fans when I think Sekera is likely the one they will end up trying to trade.

Myers and Ehrhoff have the top 2 spots locked up, and with Pysyk, Brennan and Jake McCabe emerging, Sekera gets you the best return easily. Maybe only Leopold gives you a decent return between the group of guys likely to move

I can definitely see Buffalo moving Sekera if they can add help up front

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Exactly. Bad practice to ask guy to waive and dump him a year after.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I must differ from most of my other fellow Sabre fans when I think Sekera is likely the one they will end up trying to trade.

Myers and Ehrhoff have the top 2 spots locked up, and with Pysyk, Brennan and Jake McCabe emerging, Sekera gets you the best return easily. Maybe only Leopold gives you a decent return between the group of guys likely to move

I can definitely see Buffalo moving Sekera if they can add help up front
I tend to agree with this assessment. Sekera is the best pawn to dangle to help improve BUF upfront. Whereas Regehr is untradeable, and Leopold plays way too many minutes to be easily replaceable, including on the PK & PP.

Sekera doesn't really specialize in either of those special team role. His limited PK minutes can be replaced by Weber & McNabb. And his limited PP minutes can be replaced by Brennan & McNabb.

The fact that Sekera has three years left on a reasonable $2.75M contract makes him that much more appealing to cap ceiling teams looking for a top 4 d-man. I suspect a partner could be conveniently found among the western conference teams including the likes of:
DET
NSH
COL
MIN

In addition, if Pardy is waived, BUF would be left with a manageable number for an NHL d-men corp (especially with McNabb eligible for occasional AHL duty without waivers):

1 Christian Ehrhoff
2 Jordan Leopold
3 Tyler Myers
4 Mike Weber
5 Robyn Regehr
6 Alexander Sulzer
7 T.J. Brennan
8 Brayden McNabb

01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I tend to agree with this assessment. Sekera is the best pawn to dangle to help improve BUF upfront. Whereas Regehr is untradeable, and Leopold plays way too many minutes to be easily replaceable, including on the PK & PP.

Sekera doesn't really specialize in either of those special team role. His limited PK minutes can be replaced by Weber & McNabb. And his limited PP minutes can be replaced by Brennan & McNabb.

The fact that Sekera has three years left on a reasonable $2.75M contract makes him that much more appealing to cap ceiling teams looking for a top 4 d-man. I suspect a partner could be conveniently found among the western conference teams including the likes of:
DET
NSH
COL
MIN

In addition, if Pardy is waived, BUF would be left with a manageable number for an NHL d-men corp (especially with McNabb eligible for occasional AHL duty without waivers):

1 Christian*Ehrhoff
2 Jordan*Leopold
3 Tyler*Myers
4 Mike*Weber
5 Robyn*Regehr
6 Alexander*Sulzer
7 T.J.*Brennan
8 Brayden*McNabb
Only way I can see Sekera being traded is for a legit blue chip prospect or young player, preferably winger. The prospect would have to be top 10 and the young player would have to be very good. Unless NSH wants to part with Wilson or COL wants to part with RoR I don't see it happening.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Regher is less likely to be moved.....He still hads a no trade contract.
That is not necessarily true.

When a player with an active NMC or NTC is traded, the team acquiring the player has an option to pick it up.
Because the Buffalo media rarely manages to report anything useful, we'll probably never know what the Sabres did.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post

Sekera
Leopold
Regehr

I'd do Sobotka and a small something (3rd or 4th?) for Leopold. I'd love Berglund, but I'd imagine Sekera would have to be the centerpiece in any such deal.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
That is not necessarily true.

When a player with an active NMC or NTC is traded, the team acquiring the player has an option to pick it up.
Because the Buffalo media rarely manages to report anything useful, we'll probably never know what the Sabres did.
I just posed the question to Hoppe, Vogl, and Hamilton on Twitter. We'll see if they take time out of their day to dig this up, but they're probably more concerned with what Grigorenko ate for breakfast or asking the other players whether Grigorenko is likely to be the greatest of all-time or just the second greatest of all-time.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

DET
NSH
COL
MIN

1 Christian Ehrhoff
2 Jordan Leopold
3 Tyler Myers
4 Mike Weber
5 Robyn Regehr
6 Alexander Sulzer
7 T.J. Brennan
8 Brayden McNabb
Buffalo's biggest need are with wingers.

McNabb will likely stay down in rochester this year except for injury call ups.

I would add STL and LA to the mix.

LA with the injury would be more than happy with someone like Leopold in his walk year. Regher is also possible but he likely doesnt waive his no trade clause until the deadline.

For Buffalo to move Sekera given his contract length/cap his return will have to be for a 1st/2nd line player....not a prospect.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:20 PM
General Granny*

Give me Leopold, pair him with Gonchar like in 2010 Pittsburgh.

What are Buffalos needs. Don't think they will trade within division but you never know.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I just posed the question to Hoppe, Vogl, and Hamilton on Twitter. We'll see if they take time out of their day to dig this up, but they're probably more concerned with what Grigorenko ate for breakfast or asking the other players whether Grigorenko is likely to be the greatest of all-time or just the second greatest of all-time.
On Monday in the sabres edge blog posting Vogl talked about the defensemen and who could be traded......

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

The Sabres' dilemma on defense -- how to fit nine blue-liners into six spots -- got even trickier today.

With minor-leaguer Joe Finley getting claimed off waivers by the Islanders today, it's all but certain the Sabres won't risk sending T.J. Brennan back to Rochester via waivers. That's one alleviation option gone for Buffalo General Manager Darcy Regier.

So who should the Sabres keep and use on the blue line? You can vote in the poll below.

Tyler Myers and Christian Ehrhoff, by virtue of their status and contracts, are not included. They're locked in. But everyone else is eligible to stay or go. Here are some pros and cons:

Jordan Leopold -- He has 23 goals and 36 assists over the last two seasons, making him one of the Sabres' most consistent defensemen. He also makes a reasonable $3 million. But he's in the final year of his contract and could be lost for nothing at the end of the season.

Robyn Regehr -- Acquired prior to last season, Regehr was viewed as the missing, physical, stay-at-home piece of the Sabres' puzzle. He is tough, but he's also 32 and in the last year of his contract, which pays $4 million.

Andrej Sekera -- The 26-year-old is in the second season of a contract that averages $2.75 million. Blessed with offensive skills, especially skating, he has underachieved. He had three goals and 13 points in 69 games last year.

Alexander Sulzer -- Acquired at the trade deadline as a throw-in to the Cody Hodgson deal, he blossomed in Buffalo and was arguably its best defender down the stretch. He had three goals and eight points in 15 games. The 28-year-old signed a one-year, $725,000 deal.

Brennan -- He leads the Amerks with 14 goals and 35 points in 36 games. He had just one goal and no assists in 11 games with Buffalo last year. He makes $550,000.

Mike Weber -- A physical defenseman, Weber has had his ups and downs with Buffalo. There have been times he's a vital piece to the blue line, and others when he can't even crack the lineup. He makes $900,000.

Adam Pardy -- The biggest unknown among Buffalo's defenders. Acquired as part of the trade that brought Steve Ott to town over the summer, Pardy had three assists in 36 games with Dallas last season. He played 30 games for the Stars the previous year after 57- and 60-game campaigns with Calgary. He's in the final year of a contract that pays $2 million.