HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

kids using outside edge instead of inside

Old
01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
600bandit
Rookie User

vCash: 500
kids using outside edge instead of inside

I coach a team of 5 and 6 year olds, 2 of them skate on there outside edge on there right foot, while going forward in a straight line, i'm sure they'll out grow it but any Ideas to help them out, it's there first and second year skating so some drills like gliding on one leg inside edges are a little hard for them to do, we've tried to explain to them to push with the inside edge but it's hard for them to understand, any help. thanks

600bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600bandit View Post
I coach a team of 5 and 6 year olds, 2 of them skate on there outside edge on there right foot, while going forward in a straight line, i'm sure they'll out grow it but any Ideas to help them out, it's there first and second year skating so some drills like gliding on one leg inside edges are a little hard for them to do, we've tried to explain to them to push with the inside edge but it's hard for them to understand, any help. thanks
Have you tried them:

1. pushing with both inside edges, and scraping the ice back, while stationary against the boards for support

2. same as 1, but pushing a teammate (teammate facing them) with mild resistance, so moving forward

3. pushing with the inside edge (of right skate in this case) while balancing on the other leg with stick on the ice for a little extra support.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:01 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Have you tried them:

1. pushing with both inside edges, and scraping the ice back, while stationary against the boards for support2. same as 1, but pushing a teammate (teammate facing them) with mild resistance, so moving forward

3. pushing with the inside edge (of right skate in this case) while balancing on the other leg with stick on the ice for a little extra support.
This. We did this drill for the first few weeks during my sons Learn to Play/Skate class. So far so good.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
noobman

Do their skates fit properly? Do they have supination of the feet?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:26 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Do their skates fit properly? Do they have supination of the feet?
Exactly what I was thinking.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:46 PM
600bandit
Rookie User

thanks for the advice I'll try some of the drills, this week, the kids aren't mine but I'll ask the parents to check for that supination

600bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gotta check the skates that they fit properly.

Otherwise, are their feet not wide enough apart? It's hard to skate on your outside edge with the feet apart.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
GrafSk8r12

Just teach them how to skate like Bure

Vancouver Canucks conditioning coach Peter Twist noticed during Bure's rehabilitation period following his first major knee injury in 1995, that his skating style was particularly unique in comparison to typical North American players. He explained, "Most players skate on their inside edge and push off at a 45-degree angle, but Bure starts on his outer edge and rolls over to his inside edge and pushes back straighter on his stride ... he gets more power and force in his stride to get up to top speed quicker."

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrafSk8r12 View Post
Just teach them how to skate like Bure

Vancouver Canucks conditioning coach Peter Twist noticed during Bure's rehabilitation period following his first major knee injury in 1995, that his skating style was particularly unique in comparison to typical North American players. He explained, "Most players skate on their inside edge and push off at a 45-degree angle, but Bure starts on his outer edge and rolls over to his inside edge and pushes back straighter on his stride ... he gets more power and force in his stride to get up to top speed quicker."

just thinking about that seems uncomfortable...

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

Tell them to "walk like a duck" in their skates. Having their toes pointed out wide naturally has them on their inside edges, as they take a step they will naturally glide forward a bit and before you know it they are skating forward with a basic stride. I've used this to get several kids to move from the walking on the ice in skates phase to the forward momentum phase of learning to skate but I can definitely see it working with a player who has some skating skills but needs to move to their inside edges more.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:57 PM
dms

Kd doing the same

Did you get this figured out? My son is almost 5 and doing the same. Let me know if you found any solutions.

dms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:23 AM
soireeculturelle

Look at their street shoes. IF the wear is all on the outer side of the sole, then it's a foot alignment issue. if not, then it's technique or the skate boot that's too big or too soft.

soireeculturelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Coach Craig
Passion for coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600bandit View Post
I also coach this age group and have for 9 of the past 10 years. Do a couple drills to work on using all edges.

1. Have them line up on the blue line and skate hard, gliding around the bottom of the face off circle. Once for each edge - right inside, left inside, left outside, left inside.

2. another is a variation of the circles. Skating counter clockwise on the circle, using left foot to propel while right foot is gliding the left foot has to come behind the gliding foot and great effort is required to dig that blade into the ice and give a good push to keep momentum going.

Coach Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:27 AM
McDugan

Maybe a sharpening issue? Are they both getting their skates sharpened at the same place?

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:16 PM
tmway84
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Tell them to "walk like a duck" in their skates. Having their toes pointed out wide naturally has them on their inside edges, as they take a step they will naturally glide forward a bit and before you know it they are skating forward with a basic stride. I've used this to get several kids to move from the walking on the ice in skates phase to the forward momentum phase of learning to skate but I can definitely see it working with a player who has some skating skills but needs to move to their inside edges more.
hmmm....I never thought about the whole walk like a duck idea, I shall remember this for the next time i am volunteering at the rink. Very neat concept!

tmway84 is offline   Reply With Quote