HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Deepest teams of all time down the middle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
  #1
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Deepest teams of all time down the middle?

Where does Sakic, Forsberg, uninjured Drury , Yelle rank?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
  #2
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Where does Sakic, Forsberg, uninjured Drury , Yelle rank?
That has to be one of the deepest of modern times.

All Time?

Toronto in 1947-48 with Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, and Max Bentley might take the cake. They were only together for 1 year though because Apps retired a year after they acquired Bentley.

Bentley was 5th, Apps was 7th, and Kennedy was 13th in league scoring that year. They were the 3 leading scorers of Toronto in both the regular season and in the playoffs, all playing at center on 3 different lines (though together on the PP).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:09 PM
  #3
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
That has to be one of the deepest of modern times.

All Time?

Toronto in 1947-48 with Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, and Max Bentley might take the cake. They were only together for 1 year though because Apps retired a year after they acquired Bentley.

Bentley was 5th, Apps was 7th, and Kennedy was 13th in league scoring that year. They were the 3 leading scorers of Toronto in both the regular season and in the playoffs, all playing at center on 3 different lines (though together on the PP).
The first team I thought of too. It stems from the crazy comment that was made in Gretzky's early tenure that he wouldn't even crack the 1948 Maple Leafs at center. It was crazy. So I've never forgotten the 1948 Leafs. Man, Apps was still a great player then too.

You still have to think about Crosby, Malkin and Staal in recent years. Maybe the deepest down the middle since the Oilers dynasty.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  #4
Canadiens Fan
Registered User
 
Canadiens Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Montreal's trio down the middle throughout the 1960's of Beliveau, Richard, & Backstrom would have to rank high.

Canadiens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
  #5
theicebox
#MonixWatch
 
theicebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Lemieux - Francis - Trottier
Crosby - Malkin - Staal

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
  #6
Thrace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
You can't really knock Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov-Draper.

Thrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:45 PM
  #7
MadLuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
Detroit had some strange year in recent memory for center deep too.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
  #8
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 9,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
That has to be one of the deepest of modern times.

All Time?

Toronto in 1947-48 with Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, and Max Bentley might take the cake. They were only together for 1 year though because Apps retired a year after they acquired Bentley.

Bentley was 5th, Apps was 7th, and Kennedy was 13th in league scoring that year. They were the 3 leading scorers of Toronto in both the regular season and in the playoffs, all playing at center on 3 different lines (though together on the PP).
I think in modern time Gretzky, Messier and who might be in the competition?

But Toronto is a good choice for all-time.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:39 AM
  #9
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
'70s Habs with Lemaire, Mahovlich, Risebrough, and Jarvis is pretty damn good.

SaintPatrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:16 AM
  #10
ot92s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
kopitor, richards, stoll is pretty damn solid

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:06 PM
  #11
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The first team I thought of too. It stems from the crazy comment that was made in Gretzky's early tenure that he wouldn't even crack the 1948 Maple Leafs at center. It was crazy. So I've never forgotten the 1948 Leafs. Man, Apps was still a great player then too.

You still have to think about Crosby, Malkin and Staal in recent years. Maybe the deepest down the middle since the Oilers dynasty.
I think these ones were all better than Crosby-Malkin-Staal.
Yzerman-Fedorov-Carson-Primeau
Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov-Draper
Fedorov-Larionov-Draper-Datsyuk
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Filppula-Helm
Lemieux-Francis-Trottier-Hrdina
Lemieux-Francis-Straka-Trottier
Lemieux-Francis-Smolinski-Park

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
  #12
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Where does Sakic, Forsberg, uninjured Drury , Yelle rank?
I think Ricci >>>>>>>>>> Drury, even if we're talking Drury's early years.

Besides, wasn't Drury a winger with the Avs? I always thought the lines were Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, Drury-Forsberg-Deadmarsh.

How about Lindros/Brind'Amour/Otto/Hawerchuk or Gratton or MacTavish with the Flyers in the mid-90s? Probably the biggest group of centres on a single team ever in 97-98: 6'5, 6'1, 6'4, 6'5.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
  #13
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I think Ricci >>>>>>>>>> Drury, even if we're talking Drury's early years.

Besides, wasn't Drury a winger with the Avs? I always thought the lines were Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, Drury-Forsberg-Deadmarsh.

How about Lindros/Brind'Amour/Otto/Hawerchuk or Gratton or MacTavish with the Flyers in the mid-90s? Probably the biggest group of centres on a single team ever in 97-98: 6'5, 6'1, 6'4, 6'5.
Drury switched back and forth.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
  #14
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I think in modern time Gretzky, Messier and who might be in the competition?

But Toronto is a good choice for all-time.
Gretzky and Messier had mostly crap behind them. MacTavish was a decent 3rd liner at his best, but then they had guys like Billy Carroll and Marc Habscheid and Mark Napier on the 4th line. Gretz and Mess with any of them might have been as talented as any other team's 4 line group before, but that's still not depth.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
  #15
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
How about Dallas, as well?

Modano/Nieuwendyk/Carbonneau/Skrudland
Modano/Nieuwendyk/Muller/Van Allen
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Van Allen and Malhotra
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Ott

That's a pretty good 5-6 season run.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:01 PM
  #16
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
How about Dallas, as well?

Modano/Nieuwendyk/Carbonneau/Skrudland
Modano/Nieuwendyk/Muller/Van Allen
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Van Allen and Malhotra
Modano/Arnott/Turgeon/Ott

That's a pretty good 5-6 season run.
Not really at the level of the groups we're talking about. One guy who bordered on elite, another solid #1 center, a defensive rock #3, and a defensive rock #4. Unlike the Detroit groups with Larionov, Carson, etc., Carbonneau was an actual third line center at that point in his career. And Skrudland was a fourth liner, or a poor third liner at best. Dallas relied on their defensemen: Zubov, Sydor, Hatcher, Matvichuk, and Ludwig. That group was absolutely rock solid for them for years and was the core of their success. The Stars had much more team success than the individual players suggested they should have.

Modano/Arnott/Turgeon is a good trio of names, but Turgeon was basically done at that point and was a downgrade from Carbonneau.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
  #17
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,212
vCash: 500
I think you still need top end talent to be considered among the deepest groups ever; otherwise you are just the team with the best 3rd and 4th line centers. If top end talent doesn't matter, I would submit the 1999-00 and 2000-01 Devils who went to back to back finals: Jason Arnott, Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik, John Madden

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:43 PM
  #18
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,924
vCash: 2498
For post-lockout teams I'd say the Pens cup team was the best, but that 06 Canes team had to be right up there as well. Staal, Brind'Amour, Weight, Kevyn Adams. Also had a couple guys that were natural centers who switched to the wing after the Weight trade in Cullen and Vasicek due to their sheer depth at the position.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
  #19
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
You can't really knock Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov-Draper.
I actually prefer the 60ies Habs and the late 40ies Leafs.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
  #20
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
For post-lockout teams I'd say the Pens cup team was the best, but that 06 Canes team had to be right up there as well. Staal, Brind'Amour, Weight, Kevyn Adams. Also had a couple guys that were natural centers who switched to the wing after the Weight trade in Cullen and Vasicek due to their sheer depth at the position.
As I stated earlier Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Filppula-Draper was better than Crosby-Malkin-Staal-Talbot.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
  #21
quoipourquoi
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I think Ricci >>>>>>>>>> Drury, even if we're talking Drury's early years.

Besides, wasn't Drury a winger with the Avs? I always thought the lines were Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, Drury-Forsberg-Deadmarsh.
I want to say that Sakic-Forsberg-Yelle-Drury was mostly in 1999. Drury moved up with Forsberg on the wing rather quickly after his rookie season, but took over as center between Nieminen and Hinote when Forsberg lost his spleen. And I think he still took draws in the 2002 playoffs when Forsberg came back until the trade in the off-season.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
  #22
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
1986-1987 Edmonton Oilers:

Wayne Gretzky - 26 years old, 79gp - 62g - 121a - 183pts
Mark Messier - 26 years old, 77gp - 37g - 70a - 107pts.
Craig MacTavish - 28 years old, 79gp - 20g - 19a - 39pts
Kent Nilsson - 30 years old, 17gp - 5g - 12a - 17pts (Acquired from Minny, 61gp - 18g - 45a - 63pts)
Kevin McClleand - 24 years old, 72gp - 12g - 13a - 25pts - 238PIM

Wow. Gretzky had his point totals drop by 32 points from the prior year, and still had 183 points. He was 75 points ahead of the next person in the scoring race, Jari Kurri. Messier was tied with Mario Lemeiux for third place.


Last edited by victor: 01-16-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Correct Messier's point total.
victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.