HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Training Camp 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Always been a fan of Kaberle. I hated the fact he played for the leafs. There really isn't many D's in the league that have as much poise with the puck as Kaberle. For years and years it was impossible to get the puck away from him when pressured. That fact that he's back in great shape will just help his special talent. God he was pissing me off when on the leafs.

Old
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What's really funny is in a bad year Kaberle gets around the same amount of points Subban gets in a good year yet Kaberle isn't top 4 while Subban is right up there beside Crosby. Gorges does one heck of a job I guess

Actually they tried to sign him but why let reality get in the way of this circle jerk?
Are comparing what Subban did for the Habs in his second year and what a vetern like Kaberle did, with the sheltered minutes he received?

Really?

And is there any evidence that the Bruins tried to sign him to a contract that would pay him the $ he received, and for a role of being a top 4?

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Toronto didn't get eliminated from the Playoffs because Kaberle was bad, it's because they had weak goaltending and no depth.

Lots of soft defensemen have been among the best. Ray Bourque is in the Hall of Fame and Lidstrom will join him soon. By your definition they'd be on the 3rd pair and only play PP's.
Bourque and Lidstrom were far from being soft, they didn't shy away from any contact

Old
01-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Always been a fan of Kaberle. I hated the fact he played for the leafs. There really isn't many D's in the league that have as much poise with the puck as Kaberle. For years and years it was impossible to get the puck away from him when pressured. That fact that he's back in great shape will just help his special talent. God he was pissing me off when on the leafs.
This is his one and only remaining talent.

If the Habs were stocked with big bruising D's with booming shots, I would think Kaberle would be a good fit.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
This is his one and only remaining talent.

If the Habs were stocked with big bruising D's with booming shots, I would think Kaberle would be a good fit.
Kaberle with Subban on the PP could be deadly (and they were getting pretty effective by the end of the year). Pair him with one of the Gorges, Bouillon or Emelin and you got a solid pairing. Kaberle's skill with the puck and REALLY HIGH hockey IQ means fast breakouts and help on the rush. Although he doesn't shoot on the PP, at 5 vs 5 he's really good at opening shooting lanes and putting the puck to the net. He plays a puck possession game which we badly missed last year.

Kaberle won't make or break this team, I agree. But if the reports are true and he's in good shape, he's a solid addition to the club.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Kaberle with Subban on the PP could be deadly (and they were getting pretty effective by the end of the year). Pair him with one of the Gorges, Bouillon or Emelin and you got a solid pairing. Kaberle's skill with the puck and REALLY HIGH hockey IQ means fast breakouts and help on the rush. Although he doesn't shoot on the PP, at 5 vs 5 he's really good at opening shooting lanes and putting the puck to the net. He plays a puck possession game which we badly missed last year.

Kaberle won't make or break this team, I agree. But if the reports are true and he's in good shape, he's a solid addition to the club.
It is his lack of any physicality and his lack of effectiveness in his own zone that stirs everyone's pot. That and his incredibly short stick.

No doubt, he has poise with the puck.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Toronto didn't get eliminated from the Playoffs because Kaberle was bad, it's because they had weak goaltending and no depth.

Lots of soft defensemen have been among the best. Ray Bourque is in the Hall of Fame and Lidstrom will join him soon. By your definition they'd be on the 3rd pair and only play PP's.
Are you joking???????????

Bourque and Lidstrom are far from soft. Being soft is not battling for the puck and giving ground to your opponent. Kaberle has always conceded territory freely whereas Lidstrom battled for position and tied up his defender. In Bourque's case your statement is even more ludicrous as he was a very good body
bodychecker and a fierce competitor.

I have watched all of these players from the time that they entered the league and you couldn't possibly be more wrong than you currently are. I live in Leaf land and have amusingly watched leaf fans curse Kaberle for his inadequecies for the duration of his stay.

If you want to be taken seriously then don't ever put Kaberle's name in the same sentence as Bourque and Lidstom's names ever again.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The previous poster said that he wouldn't want him on the PK.

Boston acquired him for their woefull powerplay with hopes that he could feed Chara for the one-timer. Boston was considered a serious contender and the only piece that they were missing was a powerplay quarterback to play with Chara.

Boston grossly overpaid for him and that was shown by his paltry return in the Carolina trade. They still went on to win the Cup but let Kaberle walk as he was a huge disappointment.
Funny they tried to re-sign him and a pretty smart GM in Rutherford gave him a 3 yaer 12.75 mil deal after being a "huge dispointment". Quite comical...

Old
01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Regarding my Kaberle tweet earlier, it's possible Therrien misunderstood my question and thought I was asking about Plekanec #BothNamedTomas

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Re-listening to Therrien's answer, that would make the most sense

Listening to the PC just now I think Basu is correct...

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 01-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 01:37 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

I was hoping this thread would be updates about the camp.

who played well, what were the lines, funny moments, how the guys look?

Die Hard Habs fans like me wish we could be there in Brossard, so we are counting on you guys, our Habs brothers to give us the 411.

I heard Pleky was back today, how did he look? Did he play with Gally? How did Eller look playing with Bourque and Armstrong I would think?

Any information would be appreciated... thanks!!

Old
01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Funny they tried to re-sign him and a pretty smart GM in Rutherford gave him a 3 yaer 12.75 mil deal after being a "huge dispointment". Quite comical...
They didn't try to re-sign him.

Rutherford paid 4.25 mil for a d-man who ended up playing for 4 teams in the span of half a season..........real smart

Last edited by Estimated_Prophet: 01-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Ok, we have confirmation that Therrien was indeed talking about Plekanec and not Kaberle. As you were.

does Arpon read these boards or was there that much of an outcry even on Twitter...hmm

Old
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'm actually happy to hear Therrien wants to give Kaberle a better role. He's probably someone who works better with more responsabilities and the fact that Therrien considers him for them means he's already showing to be in much better shape than last year.
Exactly, I'm far from a Therrien believer but all I see here is Therrien showing faith in Kaberle and trying to light a fire under him.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post

Die Hard Habs fans like me wish we could be there in Brossard, so we are counting on you guys, our Habs brothers to give us the 411.

I heard Pleky was back today, how did he look? Did he play with Gally? How did Eller look playing with Bourque and Armstrong I would think?

Good luck with that........I am suprised we arent taking Kostitsyn out for dinner right about now.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Dharvey33

As long as he not back as the infamous Tankberle partner in crime of Tankpoli. Or even Tomas Kabernet-sauvignon

Old
01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
DuRoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post

From what I heard:

Gally - Plek - Gio
Bourque - Eller - Moen

And Plek looked good, should be a go for saturday

Old
01-16-2013, 01:56 PM
DuRoux

And I still want to know if we will be able to watch the red vs white game tomorrow.

Thanks

Old
01-16-2013, 02:17 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What's really funny is in a bad year Kaberle gets around the same amount of points Subban gets in a good year yet Kaberle isn't top 4 while Subban is right up there beside Crosby. Gorges does one heck of a job I guess
If you rank defensemen solely on the number of points they score why not throw Marc Andre Bergeron into the mix. There is a little more to playing defense than putting up points on the power play while rarely playing agains the other team's top line.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
HCH

Quote:
It is his lack of any physicality and his lack of effectiveness in his own zone that stirs everyone's pot. That and his incredibly short stick.

No doubt, he has poise with the puck.
Accurate analysis and great observation about the short stick.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
and most importantly white with armstrong and prust on the fourth line! havent been excited about a 4th line in ages. Used to a 4th line with left overs lol

Old
01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
They didn't try to re-sign him.

Rutherford paid 4.25 mil for a d-man who ended up playing for 4 teams in the span of half a season..........real smart
So you would know better than Peter Chiarelli? Is he a phantom Gm and you are really running the Bruins?

Obviously he and other GM's must have though Kaberle was pretty good to give him 3 years and taht kind of money. He wasn't negotiating against himself I'm sure.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
and most importantly white with armstrong and prust on the fourth line! havent been excited about a 4th line in ages. Used to a 4th line with left overs lol
agree, that will be a pain in the rear line to play against

Old
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Are you talking about the playoffs since the lockout? If that is the case then I agree since Belfour was past his time when the season started up again. But before then the Leafs had phenomenal goaltending considering how bad the team was. In any case, if you are talking since the lockout, yes, it's because they had no goaltending, their D was the pits (other than Kabs and McCabe), and had nothing surrounding Sundin (well, they never really did have anything of worth surrounding Sundin other than the rare over the hill elite forwards ala Mogilny). Horrible team year in, year out other than Sundin, Kabs and McCabe...

Old
01-16-2013, 02:54 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Are comparing what Subban did for the Habs in his second year and what a vetern like Kaberle did, with the sheltered minutes he received?

Really?

And is there any evidence that the Bruins tried to sign him to a contract that would pay him the $ he received, and for a role of being a top 4?
Gorges carried PK's defensive side of the game like a baby in his arms. If anyone was sheltered it was PK. You seem to be conveniently forgetting Kaberle was coming off a terrible situation in Carolina and changed teams three times in the span of a year. Most players don't learn the system of a new team that quickly.

Bruins tried to sign him, that is the point. If you want to argue semantics go ahead.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
So you would know better than Peter Chiarelli? Is he a phantom Gm and you are really running the Bruins?

Obviously he and other GM's must have though Kaberle was pretty good to give him 3 years and taht kind of money. He wasn't negotiating against himself I'm sure.
You can't use that example and then ignore the fact that both of these GM's got rid of him at the first opportunity to do so. Boston acquired him at a steep price so it is very unlikely that they did so with the intention of letting him walk. After getting a first hand look at him their opinion clearly changed.

And how did that work out for Rutherford? He signed 5 days into free agency and there isn't any proof that he had other offers. GM's make mistakes all the time and I am sure both Chiarelli and Rutherford would privately admit their mistake in both cases.

It was common knowledge that Boston wasn't going to re-sign him and the Carolina signing was universally viewed as an overpayment and a huge risk.

If Kaberle can get into better shape and regain the step that he had lost he can be an asset as long as he is used correctly.

Closed Thread