Notices

Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
He's a bit of a reclamation project, I'll give you, but he's slot into the second line with Ladd and Little(in the future) and create a very good two way line

I do get your point. With no Booth they have poor Mason Raymond all alone on the second line.

Situations like Booth rarely make trade sense. Vancouver recently traded for him ( substantial value ) they would not trade him at a drastically reduced return rate imo , and Winnipeg would not be anxious to give what Vancouver would need . Vancouver needs bodies.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Here is a thought , Thorburn was playing LW , maybe the Jets still envision that with Peluso as the RW ?
Was just thinking this too. Perhaps they want a more physical, tough player on the 4th line instead of Machacek? Or maybe they want to have options. Let's face it, Machacek isn't a tough guy, and Thorburn will fight but he isn't 'that tough'.. perhaps Peluso is and he just gives us an extra option. If so, I am ok with that.

By the sounds of it Peluso is a tough kid who can play relatively well in a 4th line role. Can he be a Carcillo for us? turn into a Lapierre? Maybe a Prust?

I don't mind this move, at all, actually. Still wondering if something is up, but either or I like it.

I think many Jets fans want to be tougher to play against, if this kid can play, then it could very well do that for us.

Damascus

Agree with a few others on here. Why so upset? He is a free reclamation project. If he doesn't work out we can put him back on waivers to get nabbed or sent him to the caps. He looks like a really good fighter and seems like a decent skater. Who knows! It's okay guys <3

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
@AnthonyPeluso23 for you tweeters!

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
bradrich99

My business travels bring me down through Illinois and Missouri quite often. I have been to 4 or 5 games in Peoria and can tell you that Peluso is a pretty decent player. I think he might have even scored goals the last couple I went to. He isn't Lucic to be sure but has more than enough ability to play 4th line minutes on most NHL teams. Good hands, VERY good fists. You will all be pleasantly surprised.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:20 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Agree with a few others on here. Why so upset? He is a free reclamation project. If he doesn't work out we can put him back on waivers to get nabbed or sent him to the caps. He looks like a really good fighter and seems like a decent skater. Who knows! It's okay guys <3
What are reclaiming? Was a goon. Is a goon.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:21 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
My business travels bring me down through Illinois and Missouri quite often. I have been to 4 or 5 games in Peoria and can tell you that Peluso is a pretty decent player. I think he might have even scored goals the last couple I went to. He isn't Lucic to be sure but has more than enough ability to play 4th line minutes on most NHL teams. Good hands, VERY good fists. You will all be pleasantly surprised.
Nice! So is the goal for him to play with Slater and Thor, or is a RW replacement.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:25 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I'm sure he'll find some fans in the Peg:

Personally not a fan of fighters.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Whatever. If the Jets want a fighter to play 13th forward lets see if it works out. If it doesn't we waive him. Its not a big deal.
Exactly. Nobody here, myself included, knows anything about this player yet the level of negativity would make you think everyone is an Anthony Peluso expert.

There is definitely a reason why he was picked up, just because we don't understand it right now doesn't make it a bad move.

Let's see what the kid can do.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
bradrich99

From the Peoria news
http://http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1926909640/Rivermen-lose-enforcer-Peluso-to-Winnipeg-Jets-via-NHL-Waivers

Old
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Maybe Thor-Slater-Peluso will be better than Thor-Slater-Maceneaur/Machacek... I just don't see it though...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Exactly. Nobody here, myself included, knows anything about this player yet the level of negativity would make you think everyone is an Anthony Peluso expert.

There is definitely a reason why he was picked up, just because we don't understand it right now doesn't make it a bad move.

Let's see what the kid can do.
It really is a no risk pick up. I think it costs $67K to claim a player with under 2 years experience off of waivers. So that's what the Jets are out. Funnily enough that's more than what he makes playing in the AHL.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
KingSalamon

This pickup has the Province of Manitoba written all over it! They must have told TNSE that they have to have a guy like this for the fourth line as part of their partnership with the Province.

After all, it'll have fans chanting PST during games!

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

He's definetely under the impression he's going to be playing for the Jets. Its fun to see his excitement. It's gotta be a cool moment after all that work finally getting a chance to play in the NHL.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 1726
Not really concerned. He'll either be useful or they'll get rid of him. Maybe they see some upside to him playing both RW and D beyond just being an enforcer. I really don't know since I've never seen him play.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Maybe he's to take Bogo's spot until his return

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

When a tough guy does this, it's always encouraging.

Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports
Peluso's fight totals are down a bit this season, but that's because his reputation has grown and he hasn't found many takers #NHLJets
Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports
Peluso is considered one of the toughest guys in #AHL but views himself as more than just an enforcer. Added eight pounds of muscle (242)

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
This pickup has the Province of Manitoba written all over it! They must have told TNSE that they have to have a guy like this for the fourth line as part of their partnership with the Province.

After all, it'll have fans chanting PST during games!
I knew there was a method to the madness. TNSE is prolly silk-screening the PST shirts as we speak. Perhaps a backroom deal or two involving tax deductions on operating expenses or remittance in exchange to get Manitobans chanting the name of a specific tax. Something very New World Order about the whole Peluso claim...

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I am a fan of this waiver claim, I am a fan of tough guys who can play, they will always serve a role and purpose as far as I am concerned. And in my opinion, we don't (until now with Peluso) have a tough guy enforcer. Thorburn will fight, my hat is off to him, but in my opinion he isn't 'that tough', Peluso on the other hand sounds like he is.

Nice to see Chevy continuing his pursuit of building the team bigger, stronger and harder to play against.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
TCsmyth

Just remember sitting close to the ice at a game against Jersey last year. Was in awe of their size (Poni, Salvador, etc) and just thought that we have a tough time making the MTS Centre a "tough" place to play.

Also saw so many posters last year say that we wore down easily, and that is why the record was so poor on back to back nights. I am not advocating goonery, but Poni, Jokinen and now this guy all provide us with more size that can skate (by all accounts).

They might be really nice guys, but Glass and Thor just don't get in done for me...I like this WAY better.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
242 pounds?

Get ready to be called fat by the Winnipeg media, Anthony....

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
242 pounds?

He's as tall as Byfuglien but 20 to 40 lbs lighter.....

Old
01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Hmm: there are only a few videos of him on youtube that AREN'T fight related, but the ones that feature goals show reasonable hands and skating, especially for someone that might be playing a 4th line or 13th winger role. He is a BIG dude.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

i think most of th enegativeity (mine included) came around without knowing wether he can skate or not (assuming tough guy = can't skate) and wanting to see "our" guys up first.

I still think it's a weird claim comparative to other players available, but i'm not in charge so i guess i should wait to pass judgement.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
bradrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
242 pounds?

I remember reading somewhere that he was one of the guys who spent he summer at Gary Roberts conditioning and strength camp. He is big but by no means is he fat.