HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1255673

Continue on...

01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Greecian

Whoever asked about the PS3 app:

Whenever they release the update, you just launch the old app and you'll get an update prompt.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greecian View Post
Whoever asked about the PS3 app:

Whenever they release the update, you just launch the old app and you'll get an update prompt.
That was me, and thanks!

Anyone hearing any dates on when that update is going to happen?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Kaphis

For whoever asked about western canada.

The following information can be found in their community site.

Quote:
Price: $49.99 + applicable tax (one time, no monthly payment options)
Remember, Shaw Friends get an additional 15% off!

Free Preview: January 19th, 2013 – January 31st, 2013

Requirements: Shaw fibre fed markets, MPEG 4 capable hardware

NHL Centre Ice is now available to order!

Please Chat or call 310-SHAW to have the package added to your account.
https://community.shaw.ca/message/11383#11383

Old
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
What's not fair about it? I mean, I'm not saying I necessarily love the practice but it's entirely fair to expect a customer to read clearly stated words indicating that the service auto-renews. It couldn't be more plainly stated when you either read about the service or sign up for it.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks
A domain you plan on being familiar with this year as you'll be stealing the games you watch.
and thank you.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Some FAQ about NHL GameCenter Live. I am only including questions that people woudl generally ask for. Others can be found on NHL website (I hope). Hoping this helps:

NHL GameCenter Live

1. I am in US/Canada. Can I get NHL playoffs?
On the first look, no. However, if a DNS or VPN server based in Europe or some place outside of N.America is used, this should fool NHL GCL into thinking that you are in Australia or some random place, and that since you don't have any way of watching the games on TV, you should have access to the games.

2. How do I watch my team's games if I live in the broadcast area?
Practically, NHL doesn't want you to use NHL GCL for this purpose. However, there is a way around it. Use of a DSN or VPN based in some other territory should do as mentioned in first question. Unblock-us is one alternative suggested here. Another one I found is tunlr.net (not confirmed if it works yet). First has a monthly charge of $5, while later is free.

3. Wait, so what is difference between VPN and DNS servers?
In a VPN server, your entire internet traffic goes through a server based in some other place. Depending upon quality of VPN server, lag can be expected. Pro is this technology is guaranteed to work in fooling GCL servers. On the contrary, use of DNS just changes the DNS server that your computer uses to interprete

3. What about international billing address for payment? Does that help?
No. NHL cares about where are you watching from, not where you are paying from.

4. I see NHL vault is pretty choppy, OR I am not satisfied with quality when I try to watch past games. Should I expect the same?
No. NHL GCL has a far better bitrate, with some suggesting the quality could be as good as 4500 kbps this season. On the contrary, past games can only be viewed at 1600 kbps.

5. How soon can I watch games if I am working during game time?
Usually, there is a 48 hour blackout for games that are blacked out. But the way of getting around remains the same as explained above.

6. What are the advantages compared to hockeystreams?
For one, its highly unlikely that hockeystreams can stream at 4500 kbps. Only major networks have infrastructure to stream at that rate. Besides, NHL GCL supports multiple devices.

7. What devices are supported? Or When is the update going to be released for my device? How is the quality?
As of now, according to NHL.com/devices , Android, iOS, PS3, Roku, PS3, Apple TV, Boxee, Sony devices are supported. They are already in process of rolling out updated apps for all devices, and app for Xbox 360 (requires Xbox live gold) should be released by Friday.

8. But after all this, what if it doesn't work for me?
Someone else can correct me on this, but I think NHL has 7 day return policy on NHL GCL. So, that's always an option.

9. I am subscriber from last season, does it auto renew? OR What if I don't want to renew for next season when it is back to $120/year?
The system has auto-renewal feature built in. So depending upon your situation, you may/may not have to contact support to change that.

Last edited by Penalty Kill Icing*: 01-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Greecian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
That was me, and thanks!

Anyone hearing any dates on when that update is going to happen?
Some people have called Sony and Microsoft support and were told Friday. Others were told "soon." Some other people were told early February. It's anyone's guess. But Friday would make the most sense, since it's the day before the season starts.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Osgood As It Gets
23 Straight Years

vCash: 583
FYI, for Bell FirbreOp customers, you can order it right now for 4 payments of 12.50$. Great deal if you're a fan of the Red Wings like I am.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greecian
The Gamecenter Live FAQ says that full game replays are available on tablets, so I'm sure they'll have it working for this season. It just doesn't make sense why it doesn't work for archived games.
Hmmm, are you absolutely sure the FAQ says that? I can't find any such statement.

What I do read is this:

Quote:
•On-demand full-length and condensed replays
Quote:
•Use your NHL GameCenter LIVE™ subscription to watch games on a variety of devices. While specific features vary by device, all of the below devices support the ability to watch live out-of-market games and replays.
Note in the second bullet, it only promises that all of the listed devices support the ability to watch replays. It doesn't specify full-length replays. In the case of tablets, it could be referring to only condensed replays, which was a feature that both the iPad and Android tablets had last season. So until the season starts and I'm able to watch a complete replay, I'm not going to assume that watching a full game replay is going to be an option on a tablet.

With all that said,.... I agree GCL should get with the times and allow on-demand full-length replays to be viewed on both tablets and smartphones, as is currently the case with the MLB.TV app.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Greecian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Hmmm, are you absolutely sure the FAQ says that? I can't find any such statement.

What I do read is this:

Note in the second bullet, it only promises that all of the listed devices support the ability to watch replays. It doesn't specify full-length replays. In the case of tablets, it could be referring to only condensed replays, which was a feature that both the iPad and Android tablets had last season. So until the season starts and I'm able to watch a complete replay, I'm not going to assume that watching a full game replay is going to be an option on a tablet.

With all that said,.... I agree GCL should get with the times and allow on-demand full-length replays to be viewed on both tablets and smartphones, as is currently the case with the MLB.TV app.
You're right, I am making an assumption. But if you go to the schedule and go all the way back to last season and click on a game, under each team name is a watch button. This makes me believe that we'll be able to watch full replays of either the home and away feeds. Again, I'm just assuming. Like you said, we'll find out Saturday after some games finish.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Any word on the new GCL app for iPad/iPhone? Still seeing the one for 2012 out there.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
For those in the UK, I sent an e-mail to the NHL asking about potential blackouts. Should get a reply tomorrow.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Any word on the new GCL app for iPad/iPhone? Still seeing the one for 2012 out there.
For Android, the APK still has 1112 in the name -- but updates to 2013 now inside the app itself.

May be the same case for iOS, as I believe I've heard some people stating they've received an update for it.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
For those in the UK, I sent an e-mail to the NHL asking about potential blackouts. Should get a reply tomorrow.
I was in the UK last year, and the Premier Sports situation popped up then... Had no issues with blackouts last year. What's changed with that situation this year?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Reynaldo28

Apparently people have received replies saying the games will be blacked out... vpn it is then.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
bigred50

My god the nhl.com website is brutal. You'd think they'd advertse GameCenter Live somewhere prominently on the main page?! Or am I just blind?
Where the hell do I sign-up?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo28 View Post
Apparently people have received replies saying the games will be blacked out... vpn it is then.
Who from? It's ridiculous if true.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Pensfan in Atlanta

The NHL website must have been designed by someone with sadistic tendencies. I got stuck in a couple of purgatory loops, trying to get information on GCL.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Pourquoi pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
My god the nhl.com website is brutal. You'd think they'd advertse GameCenter Live somewhere prominently on the main page?! Or am I just blind?
Video > Live Game Video

Old
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...-gcl-cdlanding

Old
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
alanmcl12

Looks like Premier sports will get their blackouts.
These were put up today.
Seems it doesn't matter if you can get the channel or not.

"You may be blacked out of games on NHL GameCenter LIVE™ for one of the following reasons:
The game you are trying to access is being televised on a local over-the-air station and you are located within that station's signal.
The game you are trying to access is being televised on a regional sports network and your cable or satellite system falls within the distribution for that regional sports network (regardless of whether your cable or satellite system actually carries that regional sports network).
The game you are trying to access is being televised on a national network. In the U.S. this includes NBC, NBC Sports Network and NHL Network. In Canada this includes CBC, NHL Network™, RDS and TSN."

Wonder what the playoff coverage will be like

Old
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Who from? It's ridiculous if true.
Replies from PS it seems.

Think I've cobbled together that PS came out with the blackout story the day GCL became available, then GCL people are saying blackout possible now need to check stuff out.

I'd wager they'll get in touch with PS and sort it out.

Old
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

It's ridiculous as they're not a national broadcast. You have to pay to get it and you can't get it on Virgin Media which a lot of people have. Absolute farce.

UK fans and Europeans get screwed over again.

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
I'd just recommend a VPN/DNS from asia or australia to avoid any potential lockout.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcl12 View Post
Looks like Premier sports will get their blackouts.
These were put up today.
Seems it doesn't matter if you can get the channel or not.

"You may be blacked out of games on NHL GameCenter LIVE™ for one of the following reasons:
The game you are trying to access is being televised on a local over-the-air station and you are located within that station's signal.
The game you are trying to access is being televised on a regional sports network and your cable or satellite system falls within the distribution for that regional sports network (regardless of whether your cable or satellite system actually carries that regional sports network).
The game you are trying to access is being televised on a national network. In the U.S. this includes NBC, NBC Sports Network and NHL Network. In Canada this includes CBC, NHL Network™, RDS and TSN."

Wonder what the playoff coverage will be like

Sounds a little overreaching. That'd effectively blackout every regional only game for out of market fans in both US and Canada, as Sportsnet is distributed nationally... as is CSN/FSN.

Also, for an online service - how do they know if or what you have for a cable or satellite service?

Last edited by Caeldan: 01-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Closed Thread