HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorko View Post
When you read his son is ill so he cant go to NY..its true but its not a reason. Reasons are many which I wrote up. If NYI will not let him play these season..they will lost their 2pick, because he will play next season in Slovan again.
Your English is great. None of us could do half as well in your native language.

The only way Lubo plays for Slovan next year is if he plays for the Islanders now. That's the reality of the situation, whether or not anyone in Slovakia chooses to accept it.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
TXNYI

Question: What is the process for tolling a contract? Does anyone have the details? Is that an option right now since he hasn't reported or does the team have to wait a certain number of days?

And if the contract is tolled, next season he could just be sent to the AHL like any other player (going through waivers) if he wasn't in the team's plans, correct?

TXNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
redbull
Expect more

I wonder how many games classifies as a "year of service" though? Can Visnovsky delay delay delay then report, play three games, go home for personal reasons, strain his undiagnosable (that should be a word) left thumb-nail and be done with it?

Regardless, he can't play anywhere in 2012 unless it's on the New York Islanders (unless the Isles deal him) - end of story.

If he hates it on the Islanders, he can ask Sheehy to talk to Snow and possibly deal him....but nobody wants a whiner who can't wants to play in the KHL.

He handled this in the WORST way possible, hurting himself most of all, along with his agent, the NHL, the NHLPA and even the KHL. Bravo.

Welcome to Long Island.

He better play well.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorko View Post
When i see your comments i am sure that you have no idea what the problem is.

You know he is currently sad and tired for many reasons which we can divide to two head groups.

The firts group - situation in the NHL and things which happened to him:
-Trade from LA (after he signed new contract with LA for next 5 years+NTC) only one day before new contract should be valid. It was not correct especially when boss of LA said to Vis that he is the future of LA one month before trade was made.
-In Edmonton he didnt feel good enough, so he accepted trade to Anaheim(NTC). But they traded him again...to ISL..He really thought, he had NTC in his contract but arbiter said IT IS NOT TRUE. It seems he doesnt like NY because of wheather, NYI because of young/noob team.
-If there was no lockout in the NHL he is propably playing for NYI right now.
-They did not nominated him to the competition of the best defenceman of the NHL, when he playe very good as defenceman and also very good as attacker (68 points per season).

The second group - his personally problems and feelings
-He is 36 years old, 11 seasons in NHL, 450 points..his priority is not the same as priority of young players
-He feels good in Slovan Bratislava, he likes fans, athmosphere..and he doesnt care of money
-He is with his family in his birth country, much more better than travel to unknown city and play for the team he never want to. - That doesnt mean he doesnt like NYI, you know.
I'm pretty sure people are well aware of all that stuff being potential issues, speculative as it might be. Faterson has been reiterating it over and over.

Problem is that those aren't valid reasons to not meet his obligation to his NHL contract. They're his personal reasons for breaking the rules. There's a difference.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

To recap:

Viz: I'm contesting the trade
Trade is upheld
Lockout
Viz goes to Slovakia
Lockout ends
Viz: I'm not coming back
Isles: Come back
Daly: Come back
Viz: Just gimmie two more weeks to finish out the season.
KHL: You can't play for us any more.
Viz: My son is sick and I need to be here for him (even though I'll be traveling with the team which I can no longer play for) so, since I need to be here for my son, gimmie two more weeks.

Did I miss anything?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
To recap:

Trade is upheld
Lockout
Viz goes to Slovakia
Lockout ends
Viz: My son is sick and I need to be here for him (even though I'll be traveling with the team which I can no longer play for) so, since I need to be here for my son, gimmie two more weeks.

Did I miss anything?
Nope, looks good

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
To recap:

Trade is upheld
Lockout
Viz goes to Slovakia
Lockout ends
Viz' Agent: Viz is so excited to come to NY now that he's resolved his "personal issues"

Did I miss anything?
Nothing except the bold

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
BillD

Do we really want this guy here?
Does Garth really want this guy here?

If he sees the inevitability of it and does want to play in Bratslava next year, he could change his mind and get on a plane.

When he lands, i would be very pleased if Garth met him and turned him around, kicked him in the slats, and sent him back where he came from.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

If the isles don't toll the contract, which it seems like they're not doing because it'll become a liability more then anything else, then I believe he's free to do whatever he wants and play wherever he wants (including another NHL team) next season, because the isles no longer have any rights to him.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
If the isles don't toll the contract, which it seems like they're not doing because it'll become a liability more then anything else, then I believe he's free to do whatever he wants and play wherever he wants (including another NHL team) next season, because the isles no longer have any rights to him.
correct. The contract would expire and he has no contract for next year.

But he'd be in breach of contract for not reporting this year though. Technically, as of Monday 10AM he's in breach.

If they do toll his contract they retain his rights for next year. And he cannot play anywhere else next year either, even if he retires.

It's in Visnovsky's best interest to report to the Isles if he wants to play anywhere next year; in the NHL, KHL, beer league (for $), or any other professional league.

This is another reason why this situation is a ridiculous joke and so poorly handled by Visnovsky. You gotta question this guy's brain, the advice he's getting and ignoring, completely incompetent.

If you make all this money, at the very least, surround yourself with those who can help you deal with things you're not great at - like contract negotiations, public relations.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
25yearfan

Quote:
To recap:

Trade is upheld
Lockout
Viz goes to Slovakia
Lockout ends

Did I miss anything?
The sun is in my eyes, I'm not coming
Nancy Reagan said I can't travel now, I'm not coming
The Long Island Medium creeps me out, I'm not coming
I had my fingers crossed when I signed the contract, I'm not coming
I'm holding my breath 'til I pass out, I'm not coming

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
correct. The contract would expire and he has no contract for next year.

But he'd be in breach of contract for not reporting this year though. Technically, as of Monday 10AM he's in breach.

If they do toll his contract they retain his rights for next year. And he cannot play anywhere else next year either, even if he retires.

It's in Visnovsky's best interest to report to the Isles if he wants to play anywhere next year; in the NHL, KHL, beer league (for $), or any other professional league.

This is another reason why this situation is a ridiculous joke and so poorly handled by Visnovsky. You gotta question this guy's brain, the advice he's getting and ignoring, completely incompetent.

If you make all this money, at the very least, surround yourself with those who can help you deal with things you're not great at - like contract negotiations, public relations.
Well, you don't know what kind of advice he's getting.

For all you know, maybe his agent's telling him the isles won't toll the contract which means he's free and clear next season to do what he wants. The agent obviously isn't going to make that statement public.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25yearfan View Post
The sun is in my eyes, I'm not coming
Nancy Reagan said I can't travel now, I'm not coming
The Long Island Medium creeps me out, I'm not coming
I had my fingers crossed when I signed the contract, I'm not coming
I'm holding my breath 'til I pass out, I'm not coming
I have a flat tire, I'm not coming.
My dentist said these pain killers won't wear off for three weeks, I'm not coming.
My dog ate my plane tickets, and our vet said he will be constipated for three weeks, so I'm not coming.
I put the lava, in the Bratislava, hence I can't come in.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:21 PM
leaponover

Please stop with all the "do we really want him here?" nonsense before I link the whole Nabakov thread. Such fleeting memories. The guy spurns us and then gets standing Os on saves, lmao. Of course we want him here because we need him. He'll put his head down, address the team, be professional and play 48 games and it's done.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Please stop with all the "do we really want him here?" nonsense before I link the whole Nabakov thread. Such fleeting memories. The guy spurns us and then gets standing Os on saves, lmao.
thank you.....i was just about to point that out.

correct me if im wrong here, a suspended players cap hit still counts right?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Sideshow Bob

I question the advice and guidance Vis is getting from his agent. Just curious, who was Ziggy Palfy's agent?

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
I question the advice and guidance Vis is getting from his agent. Just curious, who was Ziggy Palfy's agent?
Paul Kraus.

This is Visnovsky's agent:

Last edited by OpAck: 01-16-2013 at 08:33 PM.
OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie43 View Post
If it wasn't for being an islander fan, I would have no idea what "tolling a contract" means.

So we got that going for us...which is nice

at least some of us have a sense of humor.
vis clearly feels as if the league (* where he made his millions) owes him something because his representatives did a crap job with one of his contracts.

probably has his wife (*who was allegedly behind his requesting the "no trade clause") bleating in his ear about how this whole messed up situation is somehow his fault.

do we really need someone with so much personal baggage that he's resorted to citing a pressing family issue related to his son (* not his previously rankled wife, no sir) as a reason for not reporting to fulfill his obligations... the same family issue that has mysteriously not kept him from playing in the khl for several months?

i don't let garth off the hook entirely for this, because i believe there was too much stink on this guy from the last 5 years, but c'mon. the islanders organization should just figure out how to bow out of this thing with more class than is being shown to them by this henpecked weasel (who kind of reminds me of the guy chasing the acorn in the first Ice Age).

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post

at least some of us have a sense of humor.
vis clearly feels as if the league (* where he made his millions) owes him something because his representatives did a crap job with one of his contracts.

probably has his wife (*who was allegedly behind his requesting the "no trade clause") bleating in his ear about how this whole messed up situation is somehow his fault.

do we really need someone with so much personal baggage that he's resorted to citing a pressing family issue related to his son (* not his previously rankled wife, no sir) as a reason for not reporting to fulfill his obligations... the same family issue that has mysteriously not kept him from playing in the khl for several months?

i don't let garth off the hook entirely for this, because i believe there was too much stink on this guy from the last 5 years, but c'mon. the islanders organization should just figure out how to bow out of this thing with more class than is being shown to them by this henpecked weasel (who kind of reminds me of the guy chasing the acorn in the first Ice Age).
I think this whole situation might've gone smoother if vis was more upfront and truthful. If he came out and said something like "my wife does not want to move again" it couldn't possibly bring as much negative publicity as it is now. Right now he's trying to sell some bogus excuse and "oh, I just want to play a couple more weeks in the KHL, then I promise to come over and play for you! And I'm EXCITED to come over too!" Yeah.. ok, nobody's dumb enough to buy that. That's about as effective as telling your bank "the check is in the mail" when you're 3 months behind on your mortgage.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
koyo

Slovan Bratislava flew over to Russia this morning; Visnovsky stayed home.

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Faterson

Our defence looks horrible now. From among 8 defencemen on the road trip, two are junior players, one is a farm-team addition, and most of the others have been pretty shaky this season. Our #1 and #2 returned/blocked by NHL, #3 injured. I can't see this 3-game road trip end well for us.

Thanks, Isles.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:56 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Our defence looks horrible now. From among 8 defencemen on the road trip, two are junior players, one is a farm-team addition, and most of the others have been pretty shaky this season. Our #1 and #2 returned/blocked by NHL, #3 injured. I can't see this 3-game road trip end well for us.

Thanks, Isles.
Yeah, and so is ours. And we're missing someone who signed an NHL CONTRACT. So give it up.

Last edited by PWJunior: 01-17-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Not necessary
IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Faterson

Forcing someone to sit out is hardly likely to improve your situation soon. Building some good will instead might have achieved more.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post

Thanks, Isles.
You're welcome.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Faterson

Quote:
You're welcome.
Likewise.

I just don't see why it would not be more reasonable for the 2 hockey organizations to oblige each other to a certain degree, seeking a compromise solution, instead of what's happening now.

If "Let Lubo finish his KHL season first" is too much for the Isles to swallow, another compromise might be "Let him play for Slovan until Slovan clinches a play-off spot". Also, I definitely think it would be preferable for the Isles to get a Višňovský who is in game-shape, instead of someone who hasn't played a competitive game for weeks. That's what's likely to happen now (in a best-case scenario for the Isles).