HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Scott Gomez for $1 million anybody

Old
01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Jacob582

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Disagree, such a need for D right now I bet he gets a job
RE: Redden

I agree. Others in the industry agree too:

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden.

Greg Wyshynski:
the Rangers would be on the hook for the $5.6 million cap hit even if (OK, “when”) Redden signs with another team that may or may not be the New York Islanders (just a guess here ... but sorta makes sense, no?).

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
RE: Redden

I agree. Others in the industry agree too:

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden.

Greg Wyshynski:
the Rangers would be on the hook for the $5.6 million cap hit even if (OK, “when”) Redden signs with another team that may or may not be the New York Islanders (just a guess here ... but sorta makes sense, no?).
Maybe we could get Finley back if NYI signs Redden..

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
I was thinking there is a chance Finley doesn't make the Islanders and they waive him.

From what some are saying though is that the Isles want him for his muscle more than depth on D.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
When better dmen than Finley are waived after camps wrap up. I'm hopeful he is waived again.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
wait... there are buyouts this year now?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
they're letting them do the buyouts now instead of having the players sit at home in bubble wrap so they don't get hurt before the summer's buyout period

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HogtownSabresfan

First of all, Gomez is bought out for sure. They don't want to be stuck with contract. If he got injured working out, they'd be stuck. I'm not 100% sure but that's what they said on Fan590. He gets a deal for sure. He's low risk at $1 million. Much like Hecht, as other guy said. Do we need two guys like that. I think Gomez has more up side cause of Hecht health but I'm not unhappy. We needed someone.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602
Quote:
According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, teams are now eligible to exercise an "accelerated compliance buyout" on one player with a salary cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins on Saturday.

If a compliance buyout is used this week, a team will have only one left to use next summer.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

Quote:
According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, teams are now eligible to exercise an "accelerated compliance buyout" on one player with a salary cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins on Saturday.

If a compliance buyout is used this week, a team will have only one left to use next summer.

That could be good news for players such as Scott Gomez and Wade Redden, two players who are not playing this season because if they got injured, their teams could not buy them out after the season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, in order for a player to be bought out this week, he still must clear waivers first. He says to assume that Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers on Wednesday.
Quote:
Team will take the full cap hit on such players this season, less the $900,000 for not burying the player in the minors, but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond.

Teams would pay out 100 per cent of a player's actual salary this year and two-thirds or one-third (as applicable) over twice the remaining term of the contract and the player is free to sign elsewhere.

However, there's no actual benefit to the teams to take this plan of action other than as a favour to the player to perhaps allow them to sign with another team right away.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:13 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Throw him a league minimum offer, no risk there.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:07 AM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200
NO...Do Not Want !!!

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

God no.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:01 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Yes but just to make sure it's clear, the buyout has no effect this season other than to allow the player to become a free agent. It's a win/win for both sides, as the team can get its absolute guarantee that they can get the cap hit off their books starting this summer (e.g. don't have to worry about the player being injured) and the player doesn't have to be forced to sit home for the rest of this season. Cap hit stays on the books this year. It's great to see both sides adapt to a developing issue and reach an agreement that makes perfect sense for everyone done almost immediately.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:56 AM
HiddenInLight

Id toss him a lower offer around 1 Million ish, then stick him on the fourth line, moving hecht to the wing, until gerbe is back, after that he becomes our 13th forward.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:18 AM
sham3440

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
NO...Do Not Want !!!
this

sham3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Criispen

I think a Leino-Gomez-Ott line could be quite decent, and a fourth with Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta. Gomez biggest problem is keeping control of the puck in the offensive zone and knowing what to do with it. Both Leino and Ott are more than good at this. Something Gomez is good at though is getting the puck into the offensive zone. I mean he has a history of getting alot of points, I see him as someone who makes his wingers better. He could get the puck into the zone and let Leino and Ott do their work.

Although, I'd prefer Grigorenko in that line. Just some thoughts.

Last edited by Criispen: 01-16-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Criispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

I dunno. I think I probably would.

Try him out, if it doesn't work out then bench him or send him down.

We've spent a million or more on more worthless players...

I doubt he signs for that little though. Someone is going to offer him more than 1yr @ 1M

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
punkr0x

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Canadians decide just to keep Gomez on the books and buy him out this summer. They're very thin at center, Plekanec is far and away their best pivot and they'll be counting on Galchenyuk (though I admit he is probably ready). Keep in mind there is no benefit for Montreal to buying him out now, it is a favor to the player. Unlike Redden, he did play in the NHL last year (though he was injured/scratched for much of the season). It might be a good idea to keep him as an insurance policy. This is a team that's missing some pieces but they have a good goaltender and anything can happen in a short season. It would be a huge risk to put him in a game, and maybe they wouldn't use him, but when the alternative is to pay his salary, take the cap hit and have him unavailable for emergency situations this year, what's the incentive for a team to buy him out now?

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Canadians decide just to keep Gomez on the books and buy him out this summer. They're very thin at center, Plekanec is far and away their best pivot and they'll be counting on Galchenyuk (though I admit he is probably ready). Keep in mind there is no benefit for Montreal to buying him out now, it is a favor to the player. Unlike Redden, he did play in the NHL last year (though he was injured/scratched for much of the season). It might be a good idea to keep him as an insurance policy. This is a team that's missing some pieces but they have a good goaltender and anything can happen in a short season. It would be a huge risk to put him in a game, and maybe they wouldn't use him, but when the alternative is to pay his salary, take the cap hit and have him unavailable for emergency situations this year, what's the incentive for a team to buy him out now?
Its simple, if he were to get hurt by anything, then under the terms of the CBA they wouldn't be able to buy him out and therefore would be stuck with his cap hit for another year. That's why they told him to stay at home on the couch in bubble wrap, getting his paltry paycheck.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Do not want trust me we do not not want that

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
They announced days ago that they were going to send him home and not let him play so they could amnesty him in the offseason. Now they're able to do it before the season. There's no way they aren't going to do it.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:41 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Thanks, but no thanks.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
joshjull

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413671
He was waived today and can be bought out if he clears 12pm Thursday.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Why take the risk? There is no benefit to Montreal to buy out Gomez now. They can have him sit at home and buy him out this summer.
From espn.com:

Quote:
The union wanted to challenge the legality of such an arrangement and whether that defied the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement.

"Effectively suspending a player without cause (even with pay) provided the players with leverage in this case. Legally questionable move," sports labor law expert Eric Macramella said via email.
So yes, the benefit for Montreal buying out Gomez now is they don't get sued for suspension without cause. They can buy him out and let him walk, or face a lawsuit with some undetermined penalty. I think they made the wise choice here.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Girgenburger

I don't feel any better about the Hecht signing than I would about a 1 year/1 mil Gomez signing....

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote