HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaroslav Halak to Toronto?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

vCash: 500
Can there just be a "value of any starting goalie to Toronto" sticky?

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:18 AM
SteenMachine

Stop offering Gardiner while he's still out with a concussion while you're at it.

Toronto is going to have to jump on someone's young goalie who can't get past a veteran starter or take said starter to make room for a younger cheaper option. Neither of which are on the Blues right now. Phaneuf is about the only thing that would make St. Louis come out ahead after a deal that fills Toronto's needs and that makes no sense from their end.

Unless you have some extra center prospects that have top 6 upside there's not a whole lot of deals that would upgrade your roster and not completely screw the Blues over long term.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
And when Perron came back and even more when McDonald came back, our offense is around top 10ish. Stewart has lost 20 pounds, so it is reasonable to think he will bounce back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Take a look at the GPG and PP% when Andy McDonald was injured and when he was healthy last year. When McDonald played, the Blues' PP was elite.
Don't take it to heart, every team in the cap era is going to have weaknesses. You can tell me your team is far better with Andy McDonald, and I could say the guy has only played about half a season every year that he's been with the Blues (except for 1, although last year he played only 25 games).

My point is, you have question marks just like everyone else does. I'm sure most Blues fans are aware of this, don't get defensive because it's coming from a fan of a rival team. My point was valid.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Don't take it to heart, every team in the cap era is going to have weaknesses. You can tell me your team is far better with Andy McDonald, and I could say the guy has only played about half a season every year that he's been with the Blues (except for 1, although last year he played only 25 games).

My point is, you have question marks just like everyone else does. I'm sure most Blues fans are aware of this, don't get defensive because it's coming from a fan of a rival team. My point was valid.
Nope you're correct. I guess the difference is the level of confidence in guys like Andy McDonald and Vladimir Tarasenko to make up the difference.

It's certainly a valid concern on how likely it is that Andy Mac can stay healthy.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post

That's ludicrous.

It most certainly is not. There is no reason to weaken what made the Blues successful last year. Especially when we had good defense to begin with. It's an easy no for those of us who actually still believe Cole will be a good defenseman. This team needs a center more than it needs to trade away it's best goalie that we've had in years to get a defenseman.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:

You mistook me. Not defensive. I just figured you probably weren't aware of an important drill-down in those numbers. The Blues were crappy on the PP to start the season (dead last when Hitchcock took over in both PP and PK). The terrible start (and McDonald's injury) masked what was actually quite a good powerplay under Hitchcock and when healthy. (Remember that Perron didn't come back until December either.)

I think it goes without saying that a team hurt by key injuries is going to see its production drop. But if it seems less defensive let's not even use players who might be injured and just use Hitchcock. The Blues were 42-for-229 (18.34%) in the regular season under Hitchcock, and that was all but 13 games (a legitimately large sample ... the Avs only had 223 PP chances all season). 18.34% is good enough for 11th overall in the league over the whole season. Had they converted one more PP goal under Hitch, his numbers would have ranked 7th.

Given that the Blues played radically better with Hitchcock as the coach (and he's still the coach), arguing that the Blues' norm is a power play weakness team simply isn't true. It's not the very best (though the Blues were 23.3% effective with McDonald in the lineup ... 27 for 116 ... which would have EASILY been #1 in the league if extrapolated over a full season), but it IS a team strength under Hitch and not a weakness. And that's before adding Tarasenko and possibly Schwartz (who was great as QB of Team Canada's PP) to the lineup this year.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
You wouldn't downgrade from Halak to Reimer if it meant adding Jake Gardiner?
I guess it's Backstrom or bust now haha

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
They don't have a weakness? You realize they were 21st in goals per game last season, all teams who finished worse than them in that category were non playoff teams. Couple that with a bottom 10 PP in the league, and I'd say their weakness is goal scoring. IF their goalies falter, IF they can't replicate their extremely low goals against per game, and IF they continue to struggle to score then they could have some problems.

I'm not downing on the Blues, but they certainly have weaknesses. Personally, I wouldnt want to rely fully on Halak or Elliott. Elliott seems too good to be true, and Halak seems to sometimes lose it for stretches. St. Louis needs to keep that tandem intact if they want to contend, there is a serious risk otherwise especially in a shortened season where a 7 game losing streak could cost you the playoffs.
Goals/game means nothing without context.

Which team was 4th in goal differential? Now you are talking what matters.

STL is an elite, big, young team. They will be kicking ass and taking names for a long time.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
vanwest

For a team that is supposed to be fine running with Reimer and Scrivens this year, Leaf fans sure do make a lot of threads proposing trades for goalies. The threads seem to die out a bit when they find that the other team always wants good assets back in return.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Definitely not happening. Halak is the crux of the Blues' system and really integral to their success. He is worth disproportionately more to the Blues than any other team and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Absolutely doesn't make sense for them. We're better off barking up another tree if we want a #1 goalie fix. But that's for another thread. On the main page. Involving a team with a whale on their jerseys. Hint hint.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
For a team that is supposed to be fine running with Reimer and Scrivens this year, Leaf fans sure do make a lot of threads proposing trades for goalies. The threads seem to die out a bit when they find that the other team always wants good assets back in return.
You can't compare Halak with 2 years at 4 million to Luongo.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
DougGilmour93

Blockbuster

To Stl:
Kessel
Percy

To Tor:
Oshie
Stewart
Halak

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Blockbuster

To Stl:
Kessel
Percy

To Tor:
Oshie
Stewart
Halak
Add a third rounder (to either side) and I think we have a deal.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

toronto doesn't want to trade for a goalie. we aren't trading jake gardiner. James Reimer will be the starter if he falters were looking at a top 5 pick which will be better for the future of this franchise.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
toronto doesn't want to trade for a goalie. we aren't trading jake gardiner. James Reimer will be the starter if he falters were looking at a top 5 pick which will be better for the future of this franchise.
Congrats on your successful arrival at reality, please enjoy the rest of your time here.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Plus, the Blues are adding the Tank.
You mean "Frank".

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
The Blues are in no position to trade away a goalie, as there's currently nobody in our system who could handle the backup job.

Chojin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:11 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
The Blues are in no position to trade away a goalie, as there's currently nobody in our system who could handle the backup job.
Well we could add in Scrivens...

To Stl:
Kessel
Percy
Scrivens
3rd in 2014

To Tor:
Oshie
Stewart
One of Grachev/Della Rovere/McRae
Halak
3rd in 2014

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:27 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Well we could add in Scrivens...

To Stl:
Kessel
Percy
Scrivens
3rd in 2014

To Tor:
Oshie
Stewart
One of Grachev/Della Rovere/McRae
Halak
3rd in 2014

Blues are robbing Toronto blind. Add Komisarek and Lombardi and you got a fair offer...

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Add a third rounder (to either side) and I think we have a deal.
No interest in trading Kessel. Hopefully Nonis is able to sign him long-term. Kessel recently re-affirmed how much he loves playing for Toronto.

If his intentions change, there may be a fit with St.Louis but we'll get see when it comes to that.

01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Blues are robbing Toronto blind. Add Komisarek and Lombardi and you got a fair offer...
Lombardi got traded.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
No interest in trading Kessel. Hopefully Nonis is able to sign him long-term. Kessel recently re-affirmed how much he loves playing for Toronto.

If his intentions change, there may be a fit with St.Louis but we'll get see when it comes to that.
I think he forgot the ""

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:44 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Lombardi got traded.
Next capdump in line then. Connolly .

Old
01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

I hope you were being sarcastic. Stewart + Oshie + Halak for Kessel, lol talk about skinning St Louis.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Yeah, STL is going to kindly hand us over Halak while they play Elliott and pray to the good lord for average goaltending to carry them to the cup? I apologize to all the blues fans on behalf of the leafs for what the OP has created.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote