HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I'm not going to start trashing Coyotes players but I will say this, I really really really don't like Rundblad or Gormley.

Even O'Reilly came out and said he's going to stay in Russia for the rest of the season and maybe even next season, I still wouldn't trade him in a deal where Rundblad/Gormley is the main piece coming back.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I'm not going to start trashing Coyotes players but I will say this, I really really really don't like Rundblad or Gormley.

Even O'Reilly came out and said he's going to stay in Russia for the rest of the season and maybe even next season, I still wouldn't trade him in a deal where Rundblad/Gormley is the main piece coming back.
I'd love to have a player like Martin Hanzal as a 3rd line center. Obviously would never swap him for O'Reilly though.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:25 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Kulikov is very overrated. He is a great defenceman, but not what hf makes him out to be. I think Radar has higher value. If we're trading for a defenceman i want Yandle, or somebody of that class which despite what most of you think, kulikov is not.
Wait... a player that has improved each of the last three seasons all across the board in points, TOI played, PP, etc. and is a good defense man as well is overrated?

Damn! Here I thought our player who has improved each of the last three seasons all across the board in points, TOI played, PP, etc. and is a good defender himself wasn't overrated.

Oh lawd how I've been mislead by HFers! Save me Jebus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
I've watched Gudbranson for 5 years now from minor midget when he played with the Jr 67's to his time in Kingston. This guy is so good. I mean, he plays like Dion Phaneuf, and I'd give him a better attitude on top of it. The only reason why we aren't getting this guy is because the panther's would be stupid to trade him for ROR.
Or we don't want him? Don't get me wrong you are entitled to your opinion on Gudbranson. I don't deny he may become a good dman, I just doubt he'd fit with EJ. I'd just wait and see what this team has in Seimens first.

A few years out? Thats fine, this team isn't winning the cup and Gudbranson certainly isn't going to be the difference during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Yea you're gonna eat your words when Bogosian comes to the Avs for OReilly chewey xd
Pft. I'd eat it happily.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
How about your choice of David Runblad or Michael Stone + Chris Brown as a starting point? Both are NHL ready but stuck competing for the #6 spot in Phoenix. Stone was a +7 in 13 games for the Coyotes and looked great. You know what Rundblad is all about. Brown is a power forward who has been doing well with his transition to the AHL.
No thank you, that is terrible.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:37 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
No thank you, that is terrible.
Starting point implies there are other pieces, like a 1st round pick. Still terrible?

Old
01-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Starting point implies there are other pieces, like a 1st round pick. Still terrible?
Yes.

That's quite a bit of value coming back, but not in the right way.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Hawks fan here- is RoR definitely staying in Russia then? I was excited to see what he was going to do this year... even drafted him in all of my fantasy leagues

Old
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Goulet17

I think there is a movement on the part of NHL agents to try to eliminate the leverage that teams have on second NHL contracts by stretching the term and annual dollar amounts on the applicable precedents. It is the strategy of Meehan's group and based on what I've read, it sounds like a strategy on the part of Benn's agent.

With Benn and Subban you can somewhat understand the power play by the agents. Benn is the best player for Dallas and an emerging star, Subban is the best D-man for Montreal and is also a budding star. I don't see O'Reilly as being in that particular class of player (although I am a huge fan of what O'Reilly brings to the table). I think that it is interesting to see Meehan's group extend the second contract negotiation strategy to a player like O'Reilly.

In many ways, it puts a lot of pressure on the Avs not only within the constraints for their own financial situation, but as to the league's as well. I think that a lot of GMs are probably watching how the Avs handle the O'Reilly situation.

I do think that Meehan's group strongly encouraged O'Reilly to go to the KHL as part of an effort to increase his leverage to a similar level as to a Benn or Subban.

The potential future reprecussions of this strategic negotiating approach fascinate me.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
I still hate it. We don't need more prospects or draft picks, we need guys who can step in and make us a better team today.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Zajac making 5+ a year now might screw things up for the rest of us.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Zajac making 5+ a year now might screw things up for the rest of us.
It shouldnt seeing as Zajac was a pending UFA has had a few 60 point campaigns and is at worse New Jersey's number 2 Centreman.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
It shouldnt seeing as Zajac was a pending UFA has had a few 60 point campaigns and is at worse New Jersey's number 2 Centreman.
He's a Good 2nd/Great 3rd line kind of guy much like O'Reilly. It may effect the situation. Especially because O'Reilly is playing in the KHL and making money. He's not losing a season regardless of how this pans out. Which I would think gives him some more leverage.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Hawks fan here- is RoR definitely staying in Russia then? I was excited to see what he was going to do this year... even drafted him in all of my fantasy leagues
Nobody knows. It's all speculation and rumors.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:16 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Goddamit ryan. I bought gamecenter. Get back there.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Avalanche
@imlouied

vCash: 50
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP

Something could b up. At noon #Avalanche Coach Sacco said selections were made, only needed to tell the players before announcement #Factor?

Old
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post

Something could b up. At noon #Avalanche Coach Sacco said selections were made, only needed to tell the players before announcement #Factor?
Hopefully he's right. My gut tells me we'll here about a ror signing tonight.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Hopefully he's right. My gut tells me we'll here about a ror signing tonight.
I've had this feeling all day.

My feelings are never correct.

But I've had this feeling ALL day

Old
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Well, we should know fairly soon. ROR is due to play tonightish. I don't know the time zone changes, but ~10-12 hours?

Old
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Hans Landaskog

Not to be a pessimist, but I don't think O'Reilly will be signed today.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:

Please let him be right, just this once. He can go back to being wrong about everything after that.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Freaky Styley

With Wilson not practicing today, this could imply a trade.. which could also include ROR

Old
01-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Please let him be right, just this once. He can go back to being wrong about everything after that.
They will be announcing new sweaters to go along with new jumbotron.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
goblinmedics

Quote:

I don't really understand why the coach's selections would have to do with O'Reilly being signed or not, apart from tangentially being a bad sign if they announce an opening night roster without him in it. Other than that, it seems to me that it's just about final camp cuts or something like that.

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything.

Old
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
With Wilson not practicing today, this could imply a trade.. which could also include ROR
oooh interesting, if Wilson is involved then it could very well be a high caliber D-man coming back. Though I would have liked to keep Wilson.

Old
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Not sure how selections being made leads one to think O'Reilly is somehow involved. I mean, it's pretty standard stuff. Other than Radar not being on the roster, I don't know how it ties into him at all.

Edit: Or what Goblin said.

Closed Thread