HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Sean Day vs Tyler Benson

View Poll Results: Who is/will be the better player?
Sean Day 36 53.73%
Tyler Benson 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Billybaroo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Why did he go back to playing with the '98's this season? Sounds like he was an elite player playing against the 97's in Bantam. Seems counter-productive to go back to his own age group. Any reasoning behind this move?

The league he plays in sounds embarrassingly unbalanced. 15-0 scores? He's essentially playing against average AA kids/teams a lot of the time it seems. Why Benson isn't playing Midget AAA seems mind boggling based on all I hear about his stats, league, how well he did playing up a year last season.
I dont know ONE elite kid in the last 10 years in Alberta who has played midget when he was of Bantam age. It just doesnt really happen for some reason here.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
No, I wasnt the game Saturday, but Ive seen plenty of his games so you shut the **** up.
Like, are you his dad?
And I like that "compared to the 1st 2 periods" What was he? On the ice every 2 shifts for the 1st 2?
Make no mistake. SSAC is doing all sorts of stuff to try to get Tyler that record. Its not exactly a secret.
And yes, hes a great player. But tif theres separation between him and 5 or so other kids in Northern Alberta, its not a whole lot.
Dude. You sound like an idiot, SSAC isn't going out of its way to embarrass other kids so Benson can get his record. He's going to get it, it's a foregone conclusion. They are conducting themselves with tact and class along the way in my opinion in what is a very exciting time for everyone in the program where things could easily get out of control with egos. You are out of your tree and sound like a jealous parent saying there is little separation between him and FIVE other kids.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Haven't seen either of them play, but Brian Kilrea says Sean Day is the best 14 year old player hes ever seen-and he has seen a lot of them.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
No, I wasnt the game Saturday, but Ive seen plenty of his games so you shut the **** up.
Like, are you his dad?
And I like that "compared to the 1st 2 periods" What was he? On the ice every 2 shifts for the 1st 2?
Make no mistake. SSAC is doing all sorts of stuff to try to get Tyler that record. Its not exactly a secret.
And yes, hes a great player. But tif theres separation between him and 5 or so other kids in Northern Alberta, its not a whole lot.
You cant even get the day right.

I was there but you were not so.............you tell me I dont know what Im talking about.

Holy moly.

He did double shift, because he was matched up against Sam Steele, so whenever Sam was on the ice, so was Tyler, at least until it was 7-1, then the figured line matching didnt matter any more so they played the other kids. If they were "running up the score" to try and get Tyler the record (like he needs help), he would be out there padding his stats in the third. He was not. What a ridiculous accusation.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Haven't seen either of them play, but Brian Kilrea says Sean Day is the best 14 year old player hes ever seen-and he has seen a lot of them.
He's a treat to watch.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

I was there but you were not so.............you tell me I dont know what Im talking about.

Holy moly.

He did double shift, because he was matched up against Sam Steele, so whenever Sam was on the ice, so was Tyler, at least until it was 7-1, then the figured line matching didnt matter any more so they played the other kids. If they were "running up the score" to try and get Tyler the record (like he needs help), he would be out there padding his stats in the third. He was not. What a ridiculous accusation.
Trying to suggest they sit him in blowouts is a joke
You have no idea what u are talking about. Ive seen him many many times. He is never wanting for ice time dad.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
I can vouch for IATL. I've only seen a couple games that were both blowouts, and he wasn't getting first unit PP time in the third period. The coaches were giving other kids a chance to score. To say there are other kids on his level in Alberta is pure stupidity.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
randylahey

Quote:
I dont know ONE elite kid in the last 10 years in Alberta who has played midget when he was of Bantam age. It just doesnt really happen for some reason here.
Prior to the age change (which I think is exactly ten seasons ago) it was relatively common as guys like Chipchura and some others who no one will have heard of did, but at the same time, other first round bantam draft choices never played midget underage. Really, at the end of the day, does rushing players do much good? Would Tavares be in the same spot if he hadn't played underage major junior? I'd guess he would be. To me Crosby is the prime example. Good players will turn out no matter what!

Old
01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Why did he go back to playing with the '98's this season? Sounds like he was an elite player playing against the 97's in Bantam. Seems counter-productive to go back to his own age group. Any reasoning behind this move?

The league he plays in sounds embarrassingly unbalanced. 15-0 scores? He's essentially playing against average AA kids/teams a lot of the time it seems. Why Benson isn't playing Midget AAA seems mind boggling based on all I hear about his stats, league, how well he did playing up a year last season.
I dont think Alberta has ever let a player play midget underage since the age change. Like the WHL hasent ever granted a player exceptional status.

Last edited by KidLine93: 01-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
BWC has outscored their opponents 67-4 in fourteen games. They have never given up more than a goal in any game. They have ten shutouts.

These powerhouse teams are common these days. In most if not all leagues. If you listen to those involved in coaching in the AMBHL, they will tell you that the elite talent this year is best its ever been, better than 93' even. Quite the opposite of what is being suggested here by those who pretend to know what is going on.
92' had better talent than the 93's

Pysyk
Morrow
Petrovic
Ross
Bunz
Kichton

were all invited to the World Junior Canada tryouts last year (the edmonton one, not this years in russia)

Old
01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Mctopchowda

Just got back from watching Benson and the John Ried tourny. 2 of his teams 3 goals. Looked big and impressive out there. Defiantly uses his size to his advantage. He always seems to be in the right spot when off the puck. With the puck he doesnt have the most amazing dangles, he can elude defenders but more with speed and size.

Right now Id take Day because itll be a question whether or not Benson will be able to be as dominate in the higher leagues when guys are his size.

Also, saw a guy by the name of Cale Clay (sp) on Lloyminster, big defenseman with moves, watch out for this kid

Old
01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Just got back from watching Benson and the John Ried tourny. 2 of his teams 3 goals. Looked big and impressive out there. Defiantly uses his size to his advantage. He always seems to be in the right spot when off the puck. With the puck he doesnt have the most amazing dangles, he can elude defenders but more with speed and size.

Right now Id take Day because itll be a question whether or not Benson will be able to be as dominate in the higher leagues when guys are his size.

Also, saw a guy by the name of Cale Clay (sp) on Lloyminster, big defenseman with moves, watch out for this kid
That'd be Kale Clague.

Old
12-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Fonzieleaf

Based on the status of both players as of right now, I would give the edge to Benson.

Day's stats are awful right now with Mississauga with a -23 rating, and 9 points in 32 games. As I remember, this is a guy known mostly for his defensive work and his speed. He still has offensive instincts however. I think the vast majority of people voted for Day just because he was granted exceptional status. I know this is his rookie season, but he is not panning out as an exceptional status player should.

Benson has great stats with the Pursuit of Excellence Prep team. As of now he has 21G, 28A, 49Pts in 26 games. The real test however is when he will be playing full time for the Vancouver Giants. But based on his skill and stats on the ice, he is better than Day.

Besides, when was the last time a defenseman taken 1st overall actually panned out and was something special for their team?

Old
12-19-2013, 05:22 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
hiw does benson compare to barzal? benson has a bit more hype but barzal is a great talent.

Old
12-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Quokka

Quote:

Holy moly.

How does Steele look? I'm curious.

Old
12-19-2013, 06:08 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzieleaf View Post
Based on the status of both players as of right now, I would give the edge to Benson.

Day's stats are awful right now with Mississauga with a -23 rating, and 9 points in 32 games. As I remember, this is a guy known mostly for his defensive work and his speed. He still has offensive instincts however. I think the vast majority of people voted for Day just because he was granted exceptional status. I know this is his rookie season, but he is not panning out as an exceptional status player should.

Benson has great stats with the Pursuit of Excellence Prep team. As of now he has 21G, 28A, 49Pts in 26 games. The real test however is when he will be playing full time for the Vancouver Giants. But based on his skill and stats on the ice, he is better than Day.

Besides, when was the last time a defenseman taken 1st overall actually panned out and was something special for their team?
What? Mississauga sucks, the -20something means nothing more than... Mississauga sucks.

I don't think I can name anyone else on his team outside of Spencer Martin & maybe Trevor Carrick is still there?

Old
12-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
I don't see the need to bump a year old poll comparing these two talents as 14-year-olds. If you'd like to continue discussing either player, Tyler Benson's thread is here, while Sean Day's is here.

Closed Thread