HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CBJ/OTT] David Savard for Ben Bishop

Old
01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Clever idea, but it doesn't work for us. We've got a few guys like DaCosta, so don't really have a pressing need for another. The forward prospect types we need are of the "lol no way we trade him" variety.
That is how it will be for the Jackets in the near future. We are filled to the brim with 2nd/3rd liners and have 7-8 NHL caliber defensemen. Couple that with two backup goaltenders and you have a team that is going to be boring on the trade front.

We need a franchise forward or two and a starting goalie. We likely won't pay the price to get one in a trade like we did with Carter.

What I am saying is that besides perhaps stop gaps and injury relief, talent is going to be acquired in the draft and developed. That is what Davidson did in St. Louis and it's what he is doing here.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelace View Post
While his concussions aren't to be over-looked, they hardly put him dangerously close to boom or bust. The kid 19 and was drafted last summer.

People on this board are way to quick to label someone.
Patrik Stefan and Brett Lindros stick out as two players who suffered severe concussions early in their careers. In Lindros' case, it ended his career. In Stefan's case, it may well have been the driving factor in him not coming close to his immense potential.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Patrik Stefan and Brett Lindros stick out as two players who suffered severe concussions early in their careers. In Lindros' case, it ended his career. In Stefan's case, it may well have been the driving factor in him not coming close to his immense potential.
I dont think Zibanejad has had a severe concussion though. Just mild ones that were dealt with poorly.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
If CBJ can get Bishop for Savard I think they should take it and run. Savard is very over-hyped.
Um. Savard may be overhyped, but he's not that overhyped. He's still a quality passer who's learning to shoot well, and also the best RHD in our system (with Goloubef not far behind). He's not likely to be a top-pairing guy like some folks have suggested, but he's still quality.

He's useful in our system. Bishop, right now, isn't - the only goaltending type we need or want is "NHL starter". (Not "probable NHL starter", not "likely NHL starter", not "seems ready to be an NHL starter", or anything else of the sort - just "NHL starter", no qualifiers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I dont think Zibanejad has had a severe concussion though. Just mild ones that were dealt with poorly.
I hope so for his sake and for Ottawa's sake. Doesn't make me any more eager tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:44 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
There's no way that they wanted to keep him in the division. Why trade him to a team that needs him like Columbus or Chicago where he could potentially come back and haunt them for years?
So as a GM you would rather accept an inferior offer for a player to send him outside the division than take a superior offer from a team inside your division?

Ask any Boston fan how they care about being haunted by Kessel for years!

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
So as a GM you would rather accept an inferior offer for a player to send him outside the division than take a superior offer from a team inside your division?

Ask any Boston fan how they care about being haunted by Kessel for years!
In a division that is as consistently brutally tough as the Central, any advantage is a good advantage.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

As I said earlier.. I remember the days when we

couldn't buy, beg or steal a Right handed puck moving defensemen. Savard is what 22? His prime years are 3 - 7 years away. We finally get a little quality on the blue line where we are developing some talent & its time to trade it away. No way. I like the Sens prospects, but really want to actually see what we have in our system.

Halfway into the season when we aren't scoring..???

I will say this for the Sens mgmt., they are willing to trade with the Jackets, and that moves them way up in my book.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
In a division that is as consistently brutally tough as the Central, any advantage is a good advantage.
i dont think accepting an inferior offer for a player is an advantage!

Old
01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
i dont think accepting an inferior offer for a player is an advantage!
If it gives competitive teams an advantage in your division, then there is no discussion. Most GM's don't trade in division, for that reason.

Yes the Phil Kessel deal, unfortunately for them, Toronto has not been a competitive playoff team for awhile. Do I really want to make Detroit Red Wings, Nashville Predators a better team today if I'm Columbus? Ahhh ehhhhh ermmmmm... no.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:38 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
If it gives competitive teams an advantage in your division, then there is no discussion. Most GM's don't trade in division, for that reason.

Yes the Phil Kessel deal, unfortunately for them, Toronto has not been a competitive playoff team for awhile. Do I really want to make Detroit Red Wings, Nashville Predators a better team today if I'm Columbus? Ahhh ehhhhh ermmmmm... no.
What you want is to make St-louis the best team possible, it will have much bigger impact on the ranking than any advantage you give to a rival you will face 6 time a year.

we had a thread about this here...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1087677

In shorts, it doesnt worth to accept an inferior offer to send a player outside the division. By doing this you open the door for the team outside the division to trade back the player to your division rival for a plus GM, making you look an incompetent GM in the process.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Eskimo44

Unproven AHL goalies in their mid 20's don't return top d prospects. It's not crazy unreasonable but it would be very suprising. I don't see how he did anything of note to increase his value from the 2nd round pick it cost Ottawa to acquire him.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post

I think in most typical trades the GM feels he's winning the deal. I can't see why you would be worried about what you're giving another team if you feel you're making your team better, and by proxy them worse. Of course there are exceptions when a team is forced to move a player or the player being sent somehow fits perfect, but in most cases i wouldn't worry about the other club.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:26 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Bishop is just big. He's not really that talented compared to other goalies. Obviously his size gives him an advantage, but at an NHL level I'd take a goalie with a higher skillset over one with a larger frame (to an extent)

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Stefan weren't that great to begin with. Without the concussion and confidence problems he would've top-tier 2nd liner and fringe 1st liner.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think in most typical trades the GM feels he's winning the deal.
Winning in terms of improving his team, definitely.

Winning in terms of pulling the wool over the eyes of the other guy? Absolutely not. That's not how this stuff regularly works. It certainly happens, and there are certainly times when you can do that and get away with it, but that isn't the norm and shouldn't be the norm.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
That's because he didn't drive a snowmobile into a tree.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Bishop is just big. He's not really that talented compared to other goalies. Obviously his size gives him an advantage, but at an NHL level I'd take a goalie with a higher skillset over one with a larger frame (to an extent)
As someone that doesn't like Bishop I completely disagree.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote