HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Kansas City at Philadelphia (Sept. 19, 8:25 p.m. ET; NFLN)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
This is interesting to say the least, considering how he said he was staying at Oregon not two weeks ago.

I wonder if the Eagles had this up their sleeves the whole time. I just don't understand the hard push for Bradley. Maybe they were trying to steal him as a D-coordinator?
I don't think Kelly ever flat out came out and said he was staying at Oregon, I think it was the AD who did.

I don't. I think Kelly contacted the Eagles brass while they were in the process of interviewing Bradley for the second time.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
1. Manning is better

2. Brady makes the example more relevant since he is much more similar to Foles than any of the running QB's that Oregon has used and they are making it work. Obviously Foles can't execute on the same level as Brady but I don't think anyone is expecting an offense that is on the same level as the Patriots.
1) with what evidence? I'm not stating my opinion about Brady, it's pretty much fact. A QB doesn't have a career like Brady because he is lucky. Even if Brady is barely in the top 20 greatest QBs ever (he has to be top 5 for everyone, or they are just blinded with hatred), Philly still has no where near that QB play.

2) This second opinion is just ridiculous, come on. Foles and Brady are both tallish white guys, that's about all they have in common.

So, we think Kelly will be successful in Philly because:
A) His system works at the collegiate level
B) The Patriots run a similar offense.

I don't get it, this was just the sexy headline move the Great Forehead and Wonderboy wanted. I'll give chip a chance, and I'm happy to not know exactly what is going to happen this coming season; however, almost every single aspect of this screams mess. My outlook could change, but that depends on who the DC ends up being.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This is one of those decisions that could make or break the team. If he can handle an NFL team and implement an offense that defenses in the NFL are not used to, this may wind up being a solid move. If he can't, well, we'll be looking for a new coach in a couple years. Didn't Billichek (sp?) meet with him in the offseason to learn the offense or something? That has got to be worth something if one of, if not THE best coach in the NFL is asking him for help.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
toughfighter83*

that's what i dont get, people dont like him because he has no nfl experience like nick saban but the dolphins were a bad team to begin with that he inherited, with the eagles they have weapons on offense and defense needs rebuilding, we just need a good qb, the question is who?

Old
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
1) with what evidence? I'm not stating my opinion about Brady, it's pretty much fact. A QB doesn't have a career like Brady because he is lucky. Even if Brady is barely in the top 20 greatest QBs ever (he has to be top 5 for everyone, or they are just blinded with hatred), Philly still has no where near that QB play.

2) This second opinion is just ridiculous, come on. Foles and Brady are both tallish white guys, that's about all they have in common.

So, we think Kelly will be successful in Philly because:
A) His system works at the collegiate level
B) The Patriots run a similar offense.

I don't get it, this was just the sexy headline move the Great Forehead and Wonderboy wanted. I'll give chip a chance, and I'm happy to not know exactly what is going to happen this coming season; however, almost every single aspect of this screams mess. My outlook could change, but that depends on who the DC ends up being.
1. Brady is pretty much a consensus top 5 QB all time but it's pretty bold to say it's just a fact. Manning has much better counting stats (yards, touchdowns, yards per attempt, completion percentage) while Brady has been arguably more efficent (less picks, higher QBR) while enjoying more postseason success. You could also argue Brady had better coaching and teammates during his career.

2. I compare two relatively immobile pocket passers with quick releases and the only similarities you see are that they are tall and white? Sounds like you've done some advanced scouting. And the Patriots don't just run a "similar" offense, it's pretty widely accepted that they are running a version of Chip Kelly's Oregon offense. Kelly is obviously going to have to make similar adjustments but it's still his system at heart.

And for the record I don't think Nick Foles is the long term answer, I'm just saying it's possible to use him in a modified version of Chip Kelly's offense.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
1. Brady is pretty much a consensus top 5 QB all time but it's pretty bold to say it's just a fact. Manning has much better counting stats (yards, touchdowns, yards per attempt, completion percentage) while Brady has been arguably more efficent (less picks, higher QBR) while enjoying more postseason success. You could also argue Brady had better coaching and teammates during his career.

2. I compare two relatively immobile pocket passers with quick releases and the only similarities you see are that they are tall and white? Sounds like you've done some advanced scouting. And the Patriots don't just run a "similar" offense, it's pretty widely accepted that they are running a version of Chip Kelly's Oregon offense. Kelly is obviously going to have to make similar adjustments but it's still his system at heart.

And for the record I don't think Nick Foles is the long term answer, I'm just saying it's possible to use him in a modified version of Chip Kelly's offense.
A version of the offense is not the exact offense, so it is similar. I'm sure people could debate the talent of QBs all day long, which I really hate doing, I was basing my Brady comments purely off of his succes. It's virtually impossible to have his accomplishments without being one of the best QBs to ever play.

Yes, Foles and Brady are hardly similar. Come one now, one does not need advanced scouting to verify the minimal likeness between Brady/Foles.

I like Nick Foles. Don't know that he is the QB for the next decade, but he seems to be progressing nicely.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I'm glad this carousel ride is over, I was getting tired of it. But there is something that irks me about the hiring of Chip, and that is why it took so long? There are 2 possible reasons that I opine (read: guess) why it took so long, neither are particularly good:

1.) Chip was indecisive and finally came around. Granted this is a huge decision for him and it would be good for him to take some time. But if one were to interview with NFL teams with the thought of becoming a HC, one would think one has already mentally prepared himself a bit for this kind of change. But he was interviewed nearly 2 weeks ago now. After Reid, with his recent QB waffling and notoriously late to come in play calls, I don't want someone indecisive.

2.) Lurie & Roseman **** the bed and were out of options and went back to Kelly. I find this to be the more remote of the 2, but not completely off the table. This would mean they didn't like anyone as much as Kelly (even Gus Bradley who left earlier today after a second really long interview), and let him go back to Oregon after their original interview without winning him over then, risking getting him wowed by another team. This reason doesn't shine a great light on the ownership/front office which at the time isn't looking all that bright as it is.

I'm sure more details will come to light soon, and granted, I could very well be blowing this all out of proportion. I'm just perturbed that this was arguably the Eagles' first choice they let him go, strung us along for weeks, only to hire this guy. If it works out in the end, I'll look past it. If Kelly flames out (and lets face it, apart from recently college coaches haven't had a stellar NFL record), everyone will point to this and ask "Why not Gus?" But let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
no nfl experience. runs an offense that doesnt work in the nfl. Ill give him a chance. it'll be an interesting experience
Washington, New England and SF say hi. Fast break, uptempo offense.

anyway, i think this could take more then 1 season to see if he can "handle" the NFL. Does Philly have the personel to play how Kelly will want to play? Could be spell the end of several players in Philly who may not fit into what Kelly wants to do.
You guys should at least give him a chance.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Very happy with this hiring.
I don't want a decent coach. I want a great one.
Chip can be a great coach.
He could be a complete failure as well.

Looking at the 2014 draft, I take the biggest boom or bust coach over a safe guy like Bradley or Lovie. Rather be 2-14 for 3 years and than 12-4 (under another coach) than be an 8-8 team for the next decade

Old
01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I could very well be blowing this all out of proportion.
You are.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
You are.
Don't rain on my parade!

It's all I've got 'til Saturday.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
I am not happy at all about this hiring.

I'm hoping for the best, but I think it's going to blow up in their faces, and set this franchise back even further.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I'm fine with it. Went for the home run instead of the super safe pick. Team needed a change and by all accounts Chip will bring his system up but will change it for the NFL.

I think too many people were all over Gus Bradley wayy to much.

Also some people are freaking out of Chip WAY to much. Someone on the NFL network called it the worse hiring in NFL history. Like seriously?

Old
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'm fine with it. Went for the home run instead of the super safe pick. Team needed a change and by all accounts Chip will bring his system up but will change it for the NFL.

I think too many people were all over Gus Bradley wayy to much.

Also some people are freaking out of Chip WAY to much. Someone on the NFL network called it the worse hiring in NFL history. Like seriously?
This definitely does make things more interesting .

Old
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I thought he was staying at Oregon
So did the kids he recruited! I do not care what they say, money had alot to do with his change of heart.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Go For It

What the **** was Te'o thinking?

Girlfriend's death a hoax.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:07 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

Hilarious.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
It's going to be interesting, that is for sure.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I've been on the fence about him since his name was mentioned. For some reason, I feel like it's going to be a rousing success. If not, it is going to be an abject failure. I'd be very surprised if there is a middle ground, it'll be a great or terrible hire.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

Somehow I feel worse for him getting tricked than I did when his "girlfriend" died.

Last edited by Mgkibbles: 01-16-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Am I the only one who didn't know about the whole girlfriend thing at all?

Old
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I've been on the fence about him since his name was mentioned. For some reason, I feel like it's going to be a rousing success. If not, it is going to be an abject failure. I'd be very surprised if there is a middle ground, it'll be a great or terrible hire.
That's the way I see it. Either there is a parade down Broad Street a now on a cold February day within the next decade, or the Eagles will be going through this same coaching process a few years from now.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Anyone get the sense after reading the Deadspin article that he just might be gay and had to hide his relationship this way? He said he spoke with her on the phone all the time. . . so unless this guy had a fantastic voice changer, it just makes no sense.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:13 PM
daynus

can see the eagles cutting payroll

vick would for sure be gone. unless he signs for less $. the eagles o-line is scary scary in a bad way. i would recommend trading down and grab the big boy from michigan, or fluker.unless the chiefs do not take joekel. you can always find left tackles in the 2nd round, but they would be very raw, need lots of coaching. start the guy at rt, move peters back to lt. if the guy has the length, athleticism,learns the playbook, then he could be a long term lt. just grab bpa round 1. and if things dont go well in season 1, but their are important pieces in place, tanking for 1 season, is not the worst thing ever. that clowney is gonna be a stud in 14. 6-6 de-olb dont fall from the sky.but if clowney falls into your lap, that is one lucky fall.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Am I the only one who didn't know about the whole girlfriend thing at all?
No. I'm just learning about it now.

It's a whopper. ND is standing by him.

Reading conflicting reports on how much he knew about the hoax.

Allegedly, he said he went to Hawaii with her.

Closed Thread