HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc's struggles in Hamilton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
  #276
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I totally disagree, and I am someone who ALWAYS wants to draft BPA. Leblanc was BPA at the time, or at least can easily have been seen as that. This was NOT an off the chart pick, not at all.

And you know what? He will be an NHL player, solid. To have got .25 ppg last year without PP time as a 20 year old in the NHL, that is quite promising.
+ He played on five different teams in the last five years. And had seven different head coaches. + two important injuries.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:32 AM
  #277
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I totally disagree, and I am someone who ALWAYS wants to draft BPA. Leblanc was BPA at the time, or at least can easily have been seen as that. This was NOT an off the chart pick, not at all.

And you know what? He will be an NHL player, solid. To have got .25 ppg last year without PP time as a 20 year old in the NHL, that is quite promising.
Agree. He will be an NHL player, a solid 3rd liner.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
  #278
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
I really suspect that grooming Leblanc for the 3rd line is selling him short.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
  #279
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I really suspect that grooming Leblanc for the 3rd line is selling him short.
He may become a top third liner in the NHL who can fill in on a scoring line, but that does not mean that he should be played limited minutes in Hamilton. Given what I have now heard from Marc Bergevin and others, I am sure Leblanc will get more ice time once he is 100% recovered and sharp again. He is definitely still in the Habs' plans.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
  #280
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
Only reason Leblanc was drafted is because the Habs felt they had to get a French guy. The probably could have picked him up in 2nd round... What a waste of a pick that was!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I totally disagree, and I am someone who ALWAYS wants to draft BPA. Leblanc was BPA at the time, or at least can easily have been seen as that. This was NOT an off the chart pick, not at all.

And you know what? He will be an NHL player, solid. To have got .25 ppg last year without PP time as a 20 year old in the NHL, that is quite promising.
I remember before the draft people were fretting because he was ranked higher than where we were picking. And people celebrating because McKenzie called him something like "potentially the steal of the first round" on Twitter shortly after the draft.

But, you know...it was only the Habs who liked him and only because he was Quebecois and we could have picked him in the second. Revisionist history is fun.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
  #281
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I really suspect that grooming Leblanc for the 3rd line is selling him short.
Yeah IMHO that's dumb. He has the hands, work ethic and smarts to be a 2nd liner on most teams.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
  #282
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
Only reason Leblanc was drafted is because the Habs felt they had to get a French guy. The probably could have picked him up in 2nd round... What a waste of a pick that was!
Must by why all the scouting services had him mid 1st round.

...also Team Canada just took him to have their "french" content.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
  #283
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,089
vCash: 500
I'm praying that Leblanc won't become Chipchura (captain of Team Canada Jr) or Pyatt. Please no.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:01 PM
  #284
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I'm praying that Leblanc won't become Chipchura (captain of Team Canada Jr) or Pyatt. Please no.
Why would he?? Unlike both, Leblanc produced in the NHL.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:17 PM
  #285
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,962
vCash: 500
Leblanc was seen as a CLEAR 1st rounder from everybody. Meaning, from the francos to the non-francos. Everything else is pure stupidity or eager to create something that doesn't exist.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
  #286
Shaby23
Registered User
 
Shaby23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,010
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Why would he?? Unlike both, Leblanc produced in the NHL.
First year Chipchura: 36GP:4G:7A:11PTS
First year Leblanc: 42G:5G:5A:10PTS

So yea i don't think Leblanc will be like Chipchura, but to say that Leblanc has produced more in the NHL is not true at all.


Last edited by Shaby23: 01-16-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
  #287
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Leblanc was seen as a CLEAR 1st rounder from everybody. Meaning, from the francos to the non-francos. Everything else is pure stupidity or eager to create something that doesn't exist.
To be fair WS, i didn't but i am not a scout. I always thought he would be a second rounder. I was never impressed with his play in the US. Plus, i found him to be small of frame. It's all good though, i wish him the best and i have no doubt after seeing him play in NHL last year, that he has his place some day, but only on the third line.

Again my opinion, which means squat really, right ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
  #288
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
First year Chipchura: 36GP:4G:7A:11PTS
First year Leblanc: 42G:5G:5A:10PTS

So yea i don't think Leblanc will be like Chipchura, but to say that Leblanc has produced more in the NHL is not true at all.
Damn you and your scientific stats

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
  #289
Shaby23
Registered User
 
Shaby23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,010
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Damn you and your scientific stats
Was too easy

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:23 AM
  #290
Halifaxhab
Registered User
 
Halifaxhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,456
vCash: 500
problem this season has been Leblanc's ankle injury. he hasn't been the same. not to mention playing 10mins per game isn't what he needs. he needs 20, devellop his offensive game. wherever he gets that is where he shoukd be

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:54 AM
  #291
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
First year Chipchura: 36GP:4G:7A:11PTS
First year Leblanc: 42G:5G:5A:10PTS

So yea i don't think Leblanc will be like Chipchura, but to say that Leblanc has produced more in the NHL is not true at all.
LeBlanc's hands and hockey sense are miles ahead of Chipper, stats won't tell you that.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:45 AM
  #292
Beendair Donedat
Registered User
 
Beendair Donedat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
What? Chipchura never had bad hockey sense, he had a massive fluke injury that almost cost him his career. He had trouble with foot speed after that and had to assume a new style and type of game to stay in the NHL.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:48 AM
  #293
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
LeBlanc's hands and hockey sense are miles ahead of Chipper, stats won't tell you that.
Sorry CP but you are way off on this one. Chipchura has amazing hockey sense and pretty darn good hands.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:02 AM
  #294
niftymove
Registered User
 
niftymove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
I'm starting to worry about that pick, tho I was glad when the Habs picked him in 2009.

Previously, he had a very good season as a linemate of Kristo in the USHL, almost reaching Kristo's production but a bit younger.

But the following years with Harvard, in the NCAA first, than with Mtl jrs, in the Q were not totally as expected, since he was never a dominating force there.

I know the last two years were a nightmare for him with those injuries and I know the way he was use is very questionable, but he will have to deliver somewhere, sometime.....

For the moment, I'm still a fan of him, but he must dominate the AHL this year!

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
  #295
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Again my opinion, which means squat really, right ?
correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
What? Chipchura never had bad hockey sense, he had a massive fluke injury that almost cost him his career. He had trouble with foot speed after that and had to assume a new style and type of game to stay in the NHL.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
I'm starting to worry about that pick, tho I was glad when the Habs picked him in 2009.

Previously, he had a very good season as a linemate of Kristo in the USHL, almost reaching Kristo's production but a bit younger.

But the following years with Harvard, in the NCAA first, than with Mtl jrs, in the Q were not totally as expected, since he was never a dominating force there.

I know the last two years were a nightmare for him with those injuries and I know the way he was use is very questionable, but he will have to deliver somewhere, sometime.....

For the moment, I'm still a fan of him, but he must dominate the AHL this year!
Did you happen to watch him much at Havard? Can you recall many prospects that lead their team in goals, points and pims as a Freshman?

Even in the Q he was 2nd on the team in goals, 3rd in points and led in pims plus ppg.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:13 AM
  #296
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
I guess when it comes down to it, there really isn't any room on the team for Leblanc right now.

Seems like our team's assessment of him is that he'll only make it on our team playing in the bottom 6.

Interesting articles.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...line-forwards/

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...d-others-dont/

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
  #297
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
What? Chipchura never had bad hockey sense, he had a massive fluke injury that almost cost him his career. He had trouble with foot speed after that and had to assume a new style and type of game to stay in the NHL.
Complete myth.

Chipchura was no worst a skater before he tore his achilles. same thing happened to Selanne and Bieksa and they didn't turn into Brad Marsh.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 AM
  #298
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Sorry CP but you are way off on this one. Chipchura has amazing hockey sense and pretty darn good hands.
Then how come he couldn't even put up 1 PPGM in junior at 19?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
  #299
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
I guess when it comes down to it, there really isn't any room on the team for Leblanc right now.

Seems like our team's assessment of him is that he'll only make it on our team playing in the bottom 6.

Interesting articles.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...line-forwards/

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...d-others-dont/
It's not about right now. You want to develop a kid like LeBlanc to be similar to Plekanec in 2-3 years and be able to play in all situations(PP PK offensive and defensive situations) and play top 6. Where he fits when he first breaks into the NHL is irrelevant.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
  #300
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Then how come he couldn't even put up 1 PPGM in junior at 19?
He was over a ppg in the year after he was drafted and he missed being a ppg as a 19 year old by 4 pts. (55 in 59 games, or .93 ppg)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.