DAL trades Mark Fistric to EDM for 2013 3rd Round Pick

Old
01-16-2013, 06:28 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
If Vincour tore up the WHL he would be Jamie Benn who was also 20 when he made the NHL.
If Benn hadn't followed up his boss WHL career/Memorial Cup run with an amazing training camp he would have been Vincour - sent directly to the AHL.

Not sure what your point is exactly. Organizations protect the long term investment of prospects all the time by not elevating players before they think they're ready for the task without hurting their abilities long term. In the case of Vincour, thus far we've seen a guy who never scored a ton in juniors who has been described by those within the organization as a "big bodied, two-way winger" get promoted to the NHL only to find himself playing 9-10 mins/game almost entirely in a checking role. He's not exactly being groomed to be an offensive weapon and his treatment by the organization every step of the way indicates as much.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:18 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

vCash: 500
All that is true of Kesler. Is he not an excellent player today? Was he a low ceiling prospect too?

My point is that Vincour was in the NHL at a young age because he was a good player at a young age. There may be a dozen reasons why Vincour has a low ceiling, but being in the NHL at 20 years old is not one of them.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
There may be a dozen reasons why Vincour has a low ceiling, but being in the NHL at 20 years old is not one of them.
That's actually the inverse of what I was saying, but I digress.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
project free

good trade for the stars firstic wasnt going to resign here anyways so its good to get a 3rd for him

project free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Arkham32

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

@tanman9 Eakin, to me, is clearly ready for the NHL and might even play second line minutes. Jordie Benn also seems ready for the NHL.

Hopefully Heika is right about Benn.

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I don't think there is a chance Eakin gets second line minutes even if Jamie isn't around for the first few games of the season.

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:56 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
I don't think there is a chance Eakin gets second line minutes even if Jamie isn't around for the first few games of the season.
Love Wandell, but I'd be more shocked if Wandell actually does hold Eakin at bay. Cody has looked great in the AHL, and I think Dallas' scrimmage yesterday and all the scrimmages around the league are proving these AHLers have a leg up on the rest of the league.

That advantage is probably very limited, but it's there right now.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Arkham32

Quote:
Probably not but I would trust him with second line minutes way more then wandell

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Playing Wandell over Eakin would be seriously stupid.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:41 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Wandell had his chance this past year centering in the top 6 and it didn't turn out good. He's had his chance, and I'd trust Eakin way more at this point.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I agree with playing Wandell over Eakin wouldn't make sense, but, look at how the coach has set up the lines at camp. He doesn't even slot Eakin in the third line role currently so I just can't see the coach moving him up.

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANN99 View Post
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

@tanman9 Eakin, to me, is clearly ready for the NHL and might even play second line minutes. Jordie Benn also seems ready for the NHL.

Hopefully Heika is right about Benn.
Heika isn't right about gameplay ever. He's a hack, and his time is up thanks to Mark becoming a part of the team.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:21 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Heika isn't right about gameplay ever. He's a hack, and his time is up thanks to Mark becoming a part of the team.
Don't you love how Heika interviews people and then cuts them off before they even finish?

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:33 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
heika and stepneski don't really do the same thing. stepneski doesn't offer hot sports opinions. he just provides a ton of good information about the organization. he provides the news. heika provides the editorials.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
heika and stepneski don't really do the same thing. stepneski doesn't offer hot sports opinions. he just provides a ton of good information about the organization. he provides the news. heika provides the editorials.
Heika is the lone sports writer for the Stars at the DMN. He should be providing the news. (along with the other stuff)

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Heika has a clever way of editorializing without ever actually having an opinion.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
And Oleksiak has the shot. Fistric has probably the softest shot in the league.
I'm pretty sure when Fistric shoots from the point, some invisible man drops a huge blob of invisible pudding in front of the puck.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
Cin's right. Heika's opinions on player evaluations, etc. are useless. Mark has always had a good feel for the sport, miles better than Heika.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
joshh09

Quote:
I agree with playing Wandell over Eakin wouldn't make sense, but, look at how the coach has set up the lines at camp. He doesn't even slot Eakin in the third line role currently so I just can't see the coach moving him up.
Eakin and Smith have chemistry in the AHL so I am pretty sure that is why eakin is the 3rd line center and not the second, but when Wandell shows that he can't keep up with players that play on second lines I could easily see Eakin moved up(Benn signing changes all of that of course)

"I'm pretty sure when Fistric shoots from the point, some invisible man drops a huge blob of invisible pudding in front of the puck."

Fistric has trouble catches passes at the NHL level let alone attempting shots. I really don't see the love for him on these boards. It is fun to watch him hit people I will agree, but that is all he has. His +27 season was a glitch in the hockey matrix.

Oleksiaks's shot is effortless and hard. His quarter to half slapshot is a bullet and watching it many times in Austin makes me really wanna see it in Dallas, but that day will be here soon!

joshh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Does anybody know why Fistric hasn't played for Edmonton so far? Injured? Healthy scratched?

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Does anybody know why Fistric hasn't played for Edmonton so far? Injured? Healthy scratched?
I'm pretty sure he's in the same situation he found himself in here. 7th dman. I feel bad for him, but it's kind of funny reading back through all the Oil fans saying they owned us in the trade. (I come from the mindset that not every trade has a winner/looser btw)

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
But surely Fistric should be playing for them.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:17 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
It's been mentioned in a different thread, but he's been past over on their team as well. He's serving in the 7th D role for them.

Reaction to this trade was definitely mixed, but I think the people shocked Dallas only received a 3rd round pick are eventually going to realize they probably made out like bandits.

Fistric is a fun guy to watch when he's locked in on a guy, but his type of play is becoming a thing of the past. Physicality will never leave the game, and sure he provides that. The entire league though, not just Dallas, is more concerned about mobility and puck movement. His lack of ability in those two areas will likely relegate him to a 3rd pair/7th D role his entire career.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote