HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Training Camp 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
this is the fist refreshing comment Ive seen in the last 3 or 4 pages in this thread... for the love of god people stop arguing about kaberle and pk! this thread is about training camp.. not whether kaberle this or pk that.. i mean, sure, banter back an forth a little bit but then agree to disagree and get back to the topic at hand. I hate when threads get bogged down with 2 or 3 people arguing about something that is way off topic for pages and pages.

now thats off my chest.. i think the fact that gally is on the second line still with plecks being back ..and on the first pp unit is a huge sign that their intention is to keep him up for the year.. any thoughts?
First of all, thanks for calling my comment "Refreshing". Makes me feel like a glass of ice tea.

I think they do intend to give Galchenyuk a shot, at least for a handful of games. The reasoning is that as long as they play Gally on a line, they're NOT playing someone else. And with such a limited amount of time to establish style and chemistry with his lines, Therrien wouldn't waste the few days he has to experiment with a prospect he has no intention of using. If they planned on playing Bourque in Gally's place they probably would have already; it doesn't make sense to wait until a day before game-one to say, "By the way, Rene, you'll be playing with Tomas tomorrow. Go introduce yourself."

Am I still refreshing?

Old
01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Poor lars having to have moen and bourque on his wings now but he'll get his shot eventually once bergevin deals with DD and pleks

but the great news is, galchenyuk STILL on the 2nd line practicing with pleks now

i rly love that therrien is doing that and not just playing him with prust and white or something

GIVE him the chance to succeed and SEE what happens, dont give him NO chance to succeed and see if a miracle happens

i beleive therrien being in mtl the last 2 years and watching nothing but the habs surrounded by analysts (allbeit even RDS people..) has really helped him see that a young kid playing on the 4th line with plugs isnt the ideal way to get a potential offensive dynamo going

so im real pleased with therrien with this regard, u can tell having a bunch of kids in pittsburgh helps the decision too
If Bourque could show a little more than he did last season it could a killer of a 3rd line.

3 big guys, physical, Eller with great potential, Moen great defensively...

let's just hope Bourque feels like playing, if so, that line will be great IMO.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Thanks...will be interesting to see if Therrien keeps him in a defensive role the way Martin and Cunneyworth did or if he experiments with him beyond that.
He has shown some pretty good offensive flashes, the problem is that he hasn't seemed comfortable on the wing and unless MT starts running 3 offensive lines he's going to have to accept a more defensive role.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Rozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
First of all, thanks for calling my comment "Refreshing". Makes me feel like a glass of ice tea.

I think they do intend to give Galchenyuk a shot, at least for a handful of games. The reasoning is that as long as they play Gally on a line, they're NOT playing someone else. And with such a limited amount of time to establish style and chemistry with his lines, Therrien wouldn't waste the few days he has to experiment with a prospect he has no intention of using. If they planned on playing Bourque in Gally's place they probably would have already; it doesn't make sense to wait until a day before game-one to say, "By the way, Rene, you'll be playing with Tomas tomorrow. Go introduce yourself."

Am I still refreshing?
LOL yes you are... and i agree completely with your comment.. it wouldnt make any sense to play gally with plecky all week to suddenly throw some one else in there last min.. as i said before i just cant wait to actually see the Gally, Plecks, and Gio line in action against other teams and see what they can do.. maybe i'm being to optimistic but i foresee some good things happening with that line

Old
01-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
If Bourque could show a little more than he did last season it could a killer of a 3rd line.

It reminds a lot of our 3rd line last year. Eller, a great two-way player with a lot of potential, playing with a physical, defensive-minded Moen along with an inconsistent physical scorer in Bourque. However, Bourque can be much better than AK defensively. If he finds chemistry with Eller, we'll have a pretty good 3rd line.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
It reminds a lot of our 3rd line last year. Eller, a great two-way player with a lot of potential, playing with a physical, defensive-minded Moen along with an inconsistent physical scorer in Bourque. However, Bourque can be much better than AK defensively. If he finds chemistry with Eller, we'll have a pretty good 3rd line.
Pretty sure that in the past year or two, AK has been the better two way player. Believe it or not.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Rozz

Quote:

I am really hoping Bourque gets back to him old form

Old
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pretty sure that in the past year or two, AK has been the better two way player. Believe it or not.
That's why I said can. Like you, I think Kostitsyn has been good in his own zone last year. But I don't think that at any point in his career I would have trusted him to play on the PK. Bourque was a consistent 2nd wave penalty killer before joining us. If he ever comes back to his former self, I believe he can be better defensively than AK.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:

Buddy of mine that is a Flames fan said Bourque was most productive when he played on the third line. I guess we will see.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Buddy of mine that is a Flames fan said Bourque was most productive when he played on the third line. I guess we will see.
There could be a slew of reasons behind that. Such as every time he was on the third line it could have been a demotion that lit up a fire under his ass.

In my opinion though Therrien is the right kind of coach to get the most out of him. And he may also want to redeem himself for last year, which is the attitude in general of all the players that finished out the year with us.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
id rather see armstrong on the 3rd line instead of bourque but meh, we'll see

im just bummed i gotta go out of town for work and might miss the game saturday, im gonna do everything in my power to find it lol

Old
01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

im just bummed i gotta go out of town for work and might miss the game saturday, im gonna do everything in my power to find it lol
While Bourque did have some chemistry with Plekanec at the end of last year when he realized the season was going to end, I would rather have Galchenyuk there until he proves me he doesn't belong in a top 6 role.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
That's why I said can. Like you, I think Kostitsyn has been good in his own zone last year. But I don't think that at any point in his career I would have trusted him to play on the PK. Bourque was a consistent 2nd wave penalty killer before joining us. If he ever comes back to his former self, I believe he can be better defensively than AK.
there's something stupid. Can you tell me if I was simply blind?

I was 100% sure that while Bourque was pretty underwhelming in the O-zone, he often has good positioning and could abord opposing plays in our own zone.

But many people on this board claim he was a defensive liability. So I wonder if I saw it just wrong

Old
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

I was 100% sure that while Bourque was pretty underwhelming in the O-zone, he often has good positioning and could abord opposing plays in our own zone.

But many people on this board claim he was a defensive liability. So I wonder if I saw it just wrong
I remember Darche – Plekanec – Bourque doing a very solid job as our shutdown line last season (before Darche injured himself); so I tend to agree with you.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I remember Darche – Plekanec – Bourque doing a very solid job as our shutdown line last season (before Darche injured himself); so I tend to agree with you.
So I WAS NOT crazy! It was just the Bourque-bashers who simply couldn't see any good aspect to his play, for the love of Richard*

*a.k.a. God

Old
01-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Dharvey33

Wether people like it or not Bourque is our 3rd best goal scorer after Patches and Cole gonna have do deal with it.

Like a lot of people i except Eller to have a breakout season Therrien could see similarities with Jordan Staal as 1pk unit 2nd wave 3rd line center i think he has the potential to do so plus he is looking huge this year and might be in the right system for him.

Bourque Eller Armstrong could be the line of the season book it

Old
01-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Wether people like it or not Bourque is our 3rd best goal scorer after Patches and Cole gonna have do deal with it.
Gionta?

Old
01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

Like a lot of people i except Eller to have a breakout season Therrien could see similarities with Jordan Staal as 1pk unit 2nd wave 3rd line center i think he has the potential to do so plus he is looking huge this year and might be in the right system for him.

Bourque is not a better goal scorer than Plekanec, Gionta, or even Galchenyuk I bet for that matter.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

I'd like to see Bourque's on the third but with Armstrong instead of moen. I think moen will be fine on their but Armstrong just has that little more offense that could turn that line into a pretty good threat. Either way this has to be one of the first times in a while where fans seem to like our lines. Definitely a lot of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

I remember bourque making tons of good d plays last year. He also hit a ton of posts too. Really good chance he bounces back.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Forsead

I wouldn't hate seeing a Bourque-Eller-Armstrong line, since Armstrong has more offensive potential and is more productive than Moen.

Moen would still be very good with White and Prust.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:

That'd be why we are still far from being a contender.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
habtastic

I thought that the Eller-Moen-AK combo was terrific. If Bourque can someone show Andrei's skill level (which complemented Eller's), it will be a great line. (Assuming we see the Bourque Supremacy.)

Old
01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I wouldn't hate seeing a Bourque-Eller-Armstrong line, since Armstrong has more offensive potential and is more productive than Moen.

Moen would still be very good with White and Prust.
I think that would be a great way to begin the season... and evaluate from there.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I thought that the Eller-Moen-AK combo was terrific. If Bourque can someone show Andrei's skill level (which complemented Eller's), it will be a great line. (Assuming we see the Bourque Supremacy.)
The thing is Andrei brought something to that line that wasn't there, Bourque doesn't really. Andrei was a good stickhandler with creative passing, not to mention his great shot. We're talking about a guy that could do tip passes, we don't have many of those guys. That's why he complemented Eller well, both of those guys could dangle the puck around in the offensive zone well and dance around opponents. Moen benefited from it as he let them do their thing and he got the garbage goals. Bourque is more of a crash the net type, has a nice shot, but he doesn't have the hands AK had nor the creativity.
So, I'm not convinced these guys can be as good. A lot of it will depend on Eller carrying the play a lot more, and Bourque will really have to be at the top of his game again. Otherwise, I don't see them working all that well.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:49 PM
SouthernHab

What a breath of fresh air.

Hockey the way its supposed to be.

Two scoring lines. One checking line with potential to score a few goals. And a Fourth line that will bring energy to the team with its scrapping ability instead of players who were not talented enough to fit on the top 3 lines.

D still looks a little soft and shaky but it will have to do. But if reports are correct, the Habs will be playing a more aggressive defense from the forwards. And then there is Carey Price.

I am ready for the season to start!!!!

Closed Thread